Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Major disappointment in Ballard


Recommended Posts

I am am in the “be patient” camp. Let the process work itself out. And I’ve wanted to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt at all times.

However, I have to say he has badly miscalculated in free agency. The Colts are no longer a must go destination for players. You have to pay the $ to get the best free agents. The Colts had the third highest amount of money headed into free agency. They have NOTHING to show for it at this point. The remaining free agents are basically second tier. Sorry, but this is a major fail. If you are the Colts, you likely have to pay premium $ to get the best free agents. This fail by Ballard is arguably setting this team back a full year. They need to build through both the draft and FA.  

Ballard has majorly failed in the FA process. The Colts are further behind than they were a month ago. What a huge disappointment. And it pains me to say this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether or not Ballard has taken the correct approach is yet to be seen. What we can say is all theee of the other teams in the division have become better in the offseason on paper. I sure thought we would do something as well. Time is going to tell here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the uncertainty with Luck is playing at least a small part. I can almost guarantee any team going after the same guy as us would throw it out there that we don't even know if we'll have a franchise QB playing next season.

 

The good news is that there's still a few solid guys at positions of need left.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with his strategy.  Most people outside of this forum do as well.  But for some reason voicing disagreement or disappointment is tantamount to blasphemy around here.  People just make snarky replies and post gifs/emojis in an attempt to grab likes or something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I am am in the “be patient” camp. Let the process work itself out. And I’ve wanted to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt at all times.

However, I have to say he has badly miscalculated in free agency. The Colts are no longer a must go destination for players. You have to pay the $ to get the best free agents. The Colts had the third highest amount of money headed into free agency. They have NOTHING to show for it at this point. The remaining free agents are basically second tier. Sorry, but this is a major fail. If you are the Colts, you likely have to pay premium $ to get the best free agents. This fail by Ballard is arguably setting this team back a full year. They need to build through both the draft and FA.  

Ballard has majorly failed in the FA process. The Colts are further behind than they were a month ago. What a huge disappointment. And it pains me to say this. 

 

I actually kinda agree with you. Mostly because you have to spend your cap somewhere. Where is Ballard gonna spend his cap now? On 3rd tier guys? Rolling over money to next year only does so much. You have to spend the majority of your cap over a 2-3 year period I believe according to league rules. 

 

I will say this and I don’t think it can be argued. All three opponents in the division have gotten better this year via free agency. The Colts have not improved at all, in fact they’ve gotten worse by losing players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I am am in the “be patient” camp. Let the process work itself out. And I’ve wanted to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt at all times.

However, I have to say he has badly miscalculated in free agency. The Colts are no longer a must go destination for players. You have to pay the $ to get the best free agents. The Colts had the third highest amount of money headed into free agency. They have NOTHING to show for it at this point. The remaining free agents are basically second tier. Sorry, but this is a major fail. If you are the Colts, you likely have to pay premium $ to get the best free agents. This fail by Ballard is arguably setting this team back a full year. They need to build through both the draft and FA.  

Ballard has majorly failed in the FA process. The Colts are further behind than they were a month ago. What a huge disappointment. And it pains me to say this. 

Isn't free agency only a couple days in? Why don't we relax and see how it plays out

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

 

I actually kinda agree with you. Mostly because you have to spend your cap somewhere. Where is Ballard gonna spend his cap now? On 3rd tier guys? Rolling over money to next year only does so much. You have to spend the majority of your cap over a 2-3 year period I believe according to league rules. 

4 year period.   And who days the guys left are 3rd tier guys?  Can we wait to see what happens,   or do we have to panic in mid march?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvan1973 said:

4 year period.   And who days the guys left are 3rd tier guys?  Can we wait to see what happens,   or do we have to panic in mid march?

 

Hey, there you are!    Good to see you!

 

You've been missed!    Welcome back!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

4 year period.   And who days the guys left are 3rd tier guys?  Can we wait to see what happens,   or do we have to panic in mid march?

 

Name someone out there who’s available and are somehow linked to the Colts that are 1st or 2nd tier guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

 

I actually kinda agree with you. Mostly because you have to spend your cap somewhere. Where is Ballard gonna spend his cap now? On 3rd tier guys? Rolling over money to next year only does so much. You have to spend the majority of your cap over a 2-3 year period I believe according to league rules. 

Its 90% over 4 years.  At a $70M cap space now, I think we'll have to spend about $60M more in the next 2 or 3 years to meet the rule.  I doubt we'd have many of our own quality players to re-sign in that time frame.

 

I'm sure Ballard has spread next years FA too.  Nobody has talked about next spring, but if there are a slew of high quality players coming off of contract next year (unlike this year which was a low quality FA market), maybe Ballard is eyeing that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

 

Name someone out there who’s available and are somehow linked to the Colts that are 1st or 2nd tier guys. 

 

I freely admit the choices are narrowing fast....     but that said....

 

Isnt this an odd question for you to be asking considering a few days ago you admitted you had never even heard of Jensen and didn't think we should be interested in him.....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its 90% over 4 years.  At a $70M cap space now, I think we'll have to spend about $60M more in the next 2 or 3 years to meet the rule.  I doubt we'd have many of our own quality players to re-sign in that time frame.

 

I'm sure Ballard has spread next years FA too.  Nobody has talked about next spring, but if there are a slew of high quality players coming off of contract next year (unlike this year which was a low quality FA market), maybe Ballard is eyeing that.

 

I doubt Ballard is counting on next years FA class...   because between now and a year from now many of the best possible free agents will be signed by their teams to new contracts.    They won't reach free agency..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I freely admit the choices are narrowing fast....     but that said....

 

Isnt this an odd question for you to be asking considering a few days ago you admitted you had never even heard of Jensen and didn't think we should be interested in him.....

 

 

Oh I would not be in favor of signing Jensen for the money he ended up getting. He plays a position where we are already set and if we were to pay 10 mil a year for him, might as well pay an extra 3 mil per and sign Norwell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I doubt Ballard is counting on next years FA class...   because between now and a year from now many of the best possible free agents will be signed by their teams to new contracts.    They won't reach free agency..

 

Huh? The Colts are rebuilding. They have the third highest $ in free agency. And they have nothing to show for it for a team that is clearly rebuilding? With the mentality that they need to rebuild quickly for a Luck? This is unexplainable. Ballard has majorly FAIILED. And I’m a guy that wants him to succeed. What a mess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoose said:

Ballard has majorly FAIILED. And I’m a guy that wants him to succeed. What a mess. 

By what standard? Football is an ENTERTAINMENT business. The only person that can say CB has failed and it matter is JIM IRSAY. But theres not enough of a sample size to say he has Failed. i mean a D is still passing isn't it . Might not be the grade we want right now or what the grade will be at the end of the year. I think in the LONG run this will work out just fine. Even if they don't ill still be  colts fan and watch them games ect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm trying to find a positive spin, but I just keep getting this image of Ballard standing in an empty aisle at Wal Mart, the only person who didn't grab a cabbage patch doll.

He'll just go to the manufacturer ( aka DRAFT) and get some . Or Build a bear workshop hahaha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I am am in the “be patient” camp. Let the process work itself out. And I’ve wanted to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt at all times.

However, I have to say he has badly miscalculated in free agency. The Colts are no longer a must go destination for players. You have to pay the $ to get the best free agents. The Colts had the third highest amount of money headed into free agency. They have NOTHING to show for it at this point. The remaining free agents are basically second tier. Sorry, but this is a major fail. If you are the Colts, you likely have to pay premium $ to get the best free agents. This fail by Ballard is arguably setting this team back a full year. They need to build through both the draft and FA.  

Ballard has majorly failed in the FA process. The Colts are further behind than they were a month ago. What a huge disappointment. And it pains me to say this. 

 

Are you sure you’re really in the “be patient camp”?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shive said:

I do think the uncertainty with Luck is playing at least a small part. I can almost guarantee any team going after the same guy as us would throw it out there that we don't even know if we'll have a franchise QB playing next season.

 

The good news is that there's still a few solid guys at positions of need left.

All of which wont end up here cause Ballard continues to sit on his brain fire this bum asap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Huh? The Colts are rebuilding. They have the third highest $ in free agency. And they have nothing to show for it for a team that is clearly rebuilding? With the mentality that they need to rebuild quickly for a Luck? This is unexplainable. Ballard has majorly FAIILED. And I’m a guy that wants him to succeed. What a mess. 

 

Re-read my post.   You've misunderstood what I've written.

 

Another poster suggested Ballard is saving his money because this year's FA is poor but next year's class is supposed to be good.

 

I simply stated that's not likely what Balllard is doing because in the next year teams will sign many of those free agents and they won't hit the market.

 

I was NOT commenting on what is happening this year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill admit I haven't been following things as close this year as in years past but I fail to see what Ballard is trying to do here. Apparently, in my observation, his plan is to sing low level FA's who have either washed out on other teams or really don't have a lot of upside and to also at the same time let our own good FA's walk. Honestly I don't quite understand what's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s still early in the process, but I do think there’s something to Ballard not being a closer.

 

He couldn’t close Poe last year, and then I thought, okay, Poe chose Atlanta, and Ballard didn’t want to overpay despite pursuing him heavily.

 

Then he couldn’t close Norwell, and again I thought the same thing. Norwell chose the Jags. Ballard didn’t want to overpay.

 

But then with Jensen, Melvin, etc he keeps missing out. I’m getting concerned that he’s actually just a nice guy, but NOT a closer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody knows where I stand with this but I hope Ballard doesn't spend another penny this offseason. There's nothing left on the plate. Save the money and move on. We were'nt going to win it all with a couple FA moves this year. See how luck progress and draft very good, then maybe next year we make moves. We're looking at another top pick next year in a stacked class. just realize that we're going to be bottom feeders for a couple years. Let jags, Titans, Texans have their fun now. We'll be back

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flash7 said:

It’s still early in the process, but I do think there’s something to Ballard not being a closer.

 

He couldn’t close Poe last year, and then I thought, okay, Poe chose Atlanta, and Ballard didn’t want to overpay despite pursuing him heavily.

 

Then he couldn’t close Norwell, and again I thought the same thing. Norwell chose the Jags. Ballard didn’t want to overpay.

 

But then with Jensen, Melvin, etc he keeps missing out. I’m getting concerned that he’s actually just a nice guy, but NOT a closer.

Nice guy? The other team probably just offered more money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still a lot players available many options at WR Grant Meredith and Matthews OL Pouncey Fluker Spain DE Mayowa Curry   CB Desir Gaines That's a few guys I'm looking at FA is not over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...