Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin To Raiders [Merge]

1959Colts

1. Ian Rapoport Retweeted ProFootballTalk

The #Raiders are hosting another defensive target today. They’ve been in talks with Melvin for a few days.

Ian Rapoport added,

ProFootballTalkVerified account @ProFootballTalk
    Cornerback Rashaan Melvin visiting Raiders on Friday https://wp.me/p14QSB-az5p 

Raiders not done trying to upgrade their defense; they’re also in discussions with Colts’ free-agent CB Rashaan Melvin.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornerback Rashaan Melvin visiting Raiders on Friday

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/cornerback-rashaan-melvin-visiting-raiders-on-friday/

Former Indianapolis Colts cornerback Rashaan Melvin is visiting the Oakland Raiders on Friday per Mike Florio of PFT...

...The Green Bay Packers have also reportedly shown interest in Melvin, who had 36 tackles, three interceptions and 13 passes defended last year with Indianapolis.

This is one move that has surprised me more than others, CB letting Melvin test the market rather than getting him signed up.  I appreciate we can still sign him after he has been out but more than likely he will get more money elsewhere and Ballard's philosophy will mean we won't match that top rate.

It surprises me due to Ballard's other philosophy of rewarding your own and showing the locker room that you will get paid if you perform.

Will wait and see....

21 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah...No point in signing arguably our best defensive player who is still only 28 years old...smh

Considering that Ballard just said less than 2 weeks ago that they'd made an offer to Melvin but Melvin wanted to test the open market and they would let him, that points this not solely being on Ballard. No need to panic yet is all we're saying. 

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

This is one move that has surprised me more than others, CB letting Melvin test the market rather than getting him signed up.  I appreciate we can still sign him after he has been out but more than likely he will get more money elsewhere and Ballard's philosophy will mean we won't match that top rate.

It surprises me due to Ballard's other philosophy of rewarding your own and showing the locker room that you will get paid if you perform.

Will wait and see....

If he is told "this is what we are valuing you at but if you test the market and find out that you can get more, we'd like to match or better that", there is a chance Melvin still tests the market. 

By doing it that way, you don't say take it or leave it, and leave it open ended. 

If Ballard hasn't told him he has a plan and wants to resign him, then shame on Ballard.  On the other hand, if Ballard has talked with him and he doesn't want to be here, then I say don't let the door hit you in *.

Melvin said Ballard wanted him but was willing to let him test FA.  I wouldn't be surprised that they have an agreement that if he gets another offer he will call Ballard and see if he wants to match it.  He's been visiting the Raiders for quite some time so it sounds things are going slow for him.  If he doesn't sign with them I expect he comes back to us with Ballards offer.  I would expect Ballard made him a good offer and he might finally have to come to grips with it and be happy.  Again I think this could happen if he doesn't sign with Oakland. 

Man, this forum has significantly changed it's tune on Melvin since this thread from a year ago LOL.

Some notable comments:

"Melvin is not good." - Superman

"Melvin is decent depth... I don't want to go into the season with him starting on the outside, but he had some good games last season. Worth a roster spot, imo."  - Carlos Danger

"Melvin is nothing more than depth at cb. We can get a better option as a starter with one of our 4th rd picks if not earlier." - Hoosiersavge

"If we go into the season with Melvin as our second corner-even if they draft a rookie, I'd be worried." - Northern Blue

"Melvin is a good #4 Corner, nothing more." - BProland85

"I view him as an ok #4 CB and good #5 CB..." - TheRustonRifle#7

25 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Man, this forum has significantly changed it's tune on Melvin since this thread from a year ago LOL.

Some notable comments:

"Melvin is decent depth... I don't want to go into the season with him starting on the outside, but he had some good games last season. Worth a roster spot, imo."  - Carlos Danger

"Melvin is nothing more than depth at cb. We can get a better option as a starter with one of our 4th rd picks if not earlier." - Hoosiersavge

"If we go into the season with Melvin as our second corner-even if they draft a rookie, I'd be worried." - Northern Blue

Melvin had his best year by far this year, no doubt. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Are you suggesting we are not entitled to change of opinions after a player shows dramatic improvement or are you ridiculing people for having a different opinion earlier? Just trying to see what you are trying to accomplish here by quoting specific people without assuming your intentions. I am not necessarily close with any of the posters you quoted, for what it is worth, but I am very curious about your intentions.

It is one thing just to specify a previous thread, it is another to put other posters under the microscope by cherry picking and rehashing specific opinions.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Some notable comments:

Man, that's pretty bush-league keeping score on other posters like that. 

That's like the fifth time you've done that...

:peek:

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

He gone!

This one hurts, it does, not going to lie. 

Did Melvin fail a test or two or something (CBA does not allow that to be revealed till he fails a 3rd test, right)? If he were that good, why wouldn't the Raiders offer him more than 1 year? It does make me wonder though. Remember when Jerrell Freeman was suspended for 4 games as a Bear after leaving the Colts???

Again, the only way this makes any sense is if we are looking to pay corners in the $3-$4M range and not overpay for the position as a whole. 

I don't know that this reflects as much on Melvin as it does the position itself.

Either that or we just have a lot of confidence in our ability to find bargains like we did last year w Desir and Melvin again this year 

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

Again, the only way this makes any sense is if we are looking to pay corners in the $3-$4M range and not overpay for the position as a whole. 

I don't know that this reflects as much on Melvin as it does the position itself.

Either that or we just have a lot of confidence in our ability to find bargains like we did last year w Desir and Melvin again this year 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We’ve got all this cap space, and we couldn’t spend that to keep our best corner?

Ooooookkkkkkk......

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This one hurts, it does, not going to lie. 

Did Melvin fail a test or two or something (CBA does not allow that to be revealed till he fails a 3rd test, right)? If he were that good, why wouldn't the Raiders offer him more than 1 year? It does make me wonder though. Remember when Jerrell Freeman was suspended for 4 games as a Bear after leaving the Colts???

6 minutes ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

Well I guess with the cap restraints the Colts wasn’t able to pay there best corner 6.5 million

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Guess we either wanted him long term like we did Poe last year or we just didn't want to pay a premium at Corner w our new scheme.

Just now, TKnight24 said:

Now thiiiiiiis makes some sense.

Basically "I played for you for peanuts and played well. Now pay me. You have over $70M. I want what is coming to me"

And when we said no he was willing to go elsewhere for less. But would not take that lesser amount from us. 

That contract definitely tells you how high Ballard viewed Melvin. Probably was offering $5-$6m? 

Can't say I disagree with him to much. I was a little leary of $8m+. Even with the money available. 

Just because he was our best corner(not saying that much) last year doesn't mean he is worth more than he should be worth. He played well last year, but outside of that, can't say much. Needs to prove more IMO. I like our young guys. Wilson, Hairston as a #1/2, Nickel CB. Just need another #1/2 and our CB's would be solid. Also bring Desir back.

Who that guy is IDK, but its still early. Still a couple options left, and I'm sure we draft one even if we sign a FA.

Wilson, ?, Hairston, Desir, Rookie

Good for Rashaan, get that pay day.......I choose to operate on the assumption if we wanted him we had first crack and made an offer, if he wanted to be here he would have taken it, since he is apparently  movin' on.......NEXT!

Ain't nothing to cry about peeps, we were 4-12 last year how many of our FA you wanna keep?