Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just curious what the majority of us fans want. I am 100% okay starting Quincy Wilson on one side, do we sign a veteran for the other side or go after a stud in the draft? I’d like to resign Melvin to a team friendly deal but I bet another team will out bid us. I thought Desir was semi solid and wouldn’t mind having him back either but I’m starting to get on the Minkah Fitzpatrick hype train. Excited to see how the draft plays out. I hope Ballard has some tricks up his sleeves. 

I dont think Fitzpatrick will be a CB in the NFL. Denzel Ward is probably the best pure CB in the draft. If we are truly running the Tampa 2 then we are going to be asking a lot less of our corners. Polian always found mid round guys besides Jackson and Hayden.

Well considering we took Wilson in the 2nd round last year and plucked Desir and Melvin off the scrap heap, it doesn’t surprise me that we aren’t paying corners 8, 10, 12M in free agency despite having the money. 

Im not as worried about Ballard and staff finding decent corners as I am finding adequate offensive and defensive linemen and a lb or two that can actually cover people 

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I dont think Fitzpatrick will be a CB in the NFL. Denzel Ward is probably the best pure CB in the draft. If we are truly running the Tampa 2 then we are going to be asking a lot less of our corners. Polian always found mid round guys besides Jackson and Hayden.

Agreed. Although Fitzpatrick’s versatility would be nice. Just trying to understand what Ballard is thinking right now. 

Ballard is not making sense.   To beat a passing league. You need to BEAT a passing league.  Corners are my favorite position in the NFL so I am biased.     

We are gonna get torn up if this is not addressed.   Maybe not so much in the division but IF we get to the playoffs. We will get torched by the Big 2   Br=eing NE and PItt by the passing game

I want both Melvin AND Desir.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it.    

At this point I'm not sure who else is left?

I hope both players give the Colts a chance to top their best offer. .

And if it doesn't work out then CB becomes more of a priority need, which is not good because the CB class this year is very below average!

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

We should have resigned Melvin during the season. Now we have to match the highest offer if we want him to stay

How do you know we didn't try?

Ballard has said the Colts have offered, but the two sides haven't agreed on a deal.   

It takes two sides, not just one.

Quincy Wilson is going to shift to the CB1 role. 

Guessing the Colts will try to re-sign Pierre Desir and have him and Kenny Moore try to battle it out for CB2. 

I like Nate Hairston at slot corner. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How do you know we didn't try?

Ballard has said the Colts have offered, but the two sides haven't agreed on a deal.   

It takes two sides, not just one.

Ballard may have tried, but didn’t seem like it was a priority to have him back. When asked by a reporter about resigning him CB said “Eh, we'll see. We'll see (how) the market pans out”

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ballard may have tried, but didn’t seem like it was a priority to have him back. When asked by a reporter about resigning him CB said “Eh, we'll see. We'll see (how) the market pans out”

Well...  yeah...  he's willing to let Melvin go if he gets a better offer than he's willing to pay.    And I love Melvin...   among my favorite players.

But if he gets a better offer and takes it then I'm guessing Ballard had a backup plan.

I sure hope so!

55 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Ballard is not making sense.   To beat a passing league. You need to BEAT a passing league.  Corners are my favorite position in the NFL so I am biased.     

We are gonna get torn up if this is not addressed.   Maybe not so much in the division but IF we get to the playoffs. We will get torched by the Big 2   Br=eing NE and PItt by the passing game

tenor.gif?itemid=4782912

I will say, think back to the Dungy Tampa 2 years...... got by without mega talented Corners for the most part just bringing in mid round picks the whole time he was here....... except for Marlin Jackson.......  I think Tampa 2 corners typically fall in the draft, since most teams want bigger, more prototypical guys......  I think we are trying to build the DL in FA, and fill out the back end for cheap in the draft....

4 hours ago, Mick12Maher said:

Just curious what the majority of us fans want. I am 100% okay starting Quincy Wilson on one side, do we sign a veteran for the other side or go after a stud in the draft? I’d like to resign Melvin to a team friendly deal but I bet another team will out bid us. I thought Desir was semi solid and wouldn’t mind having him back either but I’m starting to get on the Minkah Fitzpatrick hype train. Excited to see how the draft plays out. I hope Ballard has some tricks up his sleeves. 

This is why Chubb would match what we have currently perfect! He would make our corners look like talib and peters in a second! Then bring in hooker and geathers and our secondary is beast. 

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I will say, think back to the Dungy Tampa 2 years...... got by without mega talented Corners for the most part just bringing in mid round picks the whole time he was here....... except for Marlin Jackson.......  I think Tampa 2 corners typically fall in the draft, since most teams want bigger, more prototypical guys......  I think we are trying to build the DL in FA, and fill out the back end for cheap in the draft....

This was possible because Freeney and Mathis.  Right now we do not have the luxury of pressure on the QB like those days.  If we draft Chubb and start getting good pressure with what we have then yes, we will be alright.

Its a matter of not paying a zone-scheme CB man-scheme money.  If teams want to bid for Melvin to play man, we won't be matching that money if our intent is to play zone.

Letting Melvin walk may not be strictly a money for talent thing.  It might be more about slotting cap space for positions that are more important or less important than others depending upon your scheme.

8 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

A little bit of difference from when Dungy was coaching to now.  Tall, fast, high jumping WRs were anomoly not the norm.  Now days, that is not true.  Chark from LSU is 6'3, ran 4.34, and verted 41" (I admit I like him).  He is not they only one.  Other WRs over 6'1 ran under 4.5, and verted 36" and over.  You need good CBs with length, speed and vert.

9 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

It would just be bad negotiating to tell the media "WE HAVE TO HAVE THIS MAN AT ANY COST!"

1 hour ago, gacker65 said:

A little bit of difference from when Dungy was coaching to now.  Tall, fast, high jumping WRs were anomoly not the norm.  Now days, that is not true.  Chark from LSU is 6'3, ran 4.34, and verted 41" (I admit I like him).  He is not they only one.  Other WRs over 6'1 ran under 4.5, and verted 36" and over.  You need good CBs with length, speed and vert.

The good news is that it is a good draft for our corner needs. Locking in on the cheap and developing a good prospect for 4-5 years is a Great plan.
 Paying Melvin $10M while we are starting over would be stupid. Desir is a good fit for going for a high draft pick in 2019.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The good news is that it is a good draft for our corner needs. Locking in on the cheap and developing a good prospect for 4-5 years is a Great plan.
 Paying Melvin $10M while we are starting over would be stupid. Desir is a good fit for going for a high draft pick in 2019.

I agree about the draft.

Was of 2 minds about Melvin.  Was last year his break out year or was he a 1 hit wonder.  Not upset with Melvin going.

14 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Well considering we took Wilson in the 2nd round last year and plucked Desir and Melvin off the scrap heap, it doesn’t surprise me that we aren’t paying corners 8, 10, 12M in free agency despite having the money. 

Im not as worried about Ballard and staff finding decent corners as I am finding adequate offensive and defensive linemen and a lb or two that can actually cover people 

Agree. They were able to fill the CB position very efficiently last season...so I could them continuing on that course. And with the new defense, there might be even less emphasis on expensive CBs.

Where I want to see them invest would be S.