Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's not forget

Grigson sucked at his job. He spent money on old, past their prime players, expecting to win. It must have traumatized many Colts fans because I hear this illogical excuse every year since then, when it comes to Free Agency. 

Grigson spent money. It failed. Never do that again. Lesson learned.

How about we go after and pay for good players that are young? Players that we can build the team with? For example: Allen Robinson would've complimented T.Y. so well. It would've given Luck another dynamic target. He would've been a great addition. (Here comes the "how do you know we didn't go after him? The players can choose, etc). I know, this is just an example of the type of player I am talking about.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Grigson sucked at his job. He spent money on old, past their prime players, expecting to win. It must have traumatized many Colts fans because I hear this illogical excuse every year since then, when it comes to Free Agency. 

How about we go after and pay for good players that are young? Players that we can build the team with? For example: Allen Robinson would've complimented T.Y. so well. It would've given Luck another dynamic target. He would've been a great addition. (Here comes the "how do you know we didn't go after him? The players can choose, etc). I know, this is just an example of the type of player I am talking about.

And I pose the question of how you know that he didn't target those guys but they chose elsewhere for whatever reason?

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The point is just because you spend money doesn't make you a champion and Ballard is building us the correct way! 

I think the FA market was weak this year and don’t have any issues with not spending ridiculous money on Tier 2-3 players. However, Ballard better have more than a plan of just building through the draft. Those things take time and Luck isn’t getting any younger. For those who state Ballard is a great GM thus far after one season is premature. He better be lights out in the upcoming draft or the hate will get real.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Exactly. And griggs record was 33-15 plus 3 playoff wins in first 3 season.

Griggs didn't miss on everyone or he wouldn't had thad impressive 3 year record. But he did have his share of misses. But griggs tried, he just failed. He came up to the plate taking Big Swings. He tried hitting home runs but more often he whiffed. But at least he tried.....Ballard not trying. He's coming up to the plate without even taken the bat off his shoulders. Too afraid he may swing and miss. You can't hit a HR if you don't even take a swing.

NFL networks Mike Silver called him out AND RIGHTFULLY SO.

52 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think the FA market was weak this year and don’t have any issues with not spending ridiculous money on Tier 2-3 players. However, Ballard better have more than a plan of just building through the draft. Those things take time and Luck isn’t getting any younger. For those who state Ballard is a great GM thus far after one season is premature. He better be lights out in the upcoming draft or the hate will get real.

Well said.  This FA season is poor.  Frankly, I am not one of the people questioning why we didn't sign any of the players talked about.  I would not have wanted the Colts to sign any of the players for the contracts they were signed for.

But, we better have more than 7 draft picks.  I'm not excited about the performance of last year's draft picks, nor am I excited about the prospects of drafting a G, a RB, or a 7.37 3 cone DE with valuable pick #3.  Sometimes things don't break the right way for a GM, but Ballard better see these head winds and make very good decisions this offseason and next.

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Griggs didn't miss on everyone or he wouldn't had thad impressive 3 year record. But he did have his share of misses. But griggs tried, he just failed. He came up to the plate taking Big Swings. He tried hitting home runs but more often he whiffed. But at least he tried.....Ballard not trying. He's coming up to the plate without even taken the bat off his shoulders. Too afraid he may swing and miss. You can't hit a HR if you don't even take a swing.

Good analogy, but we'll see if it lasts the whole offseason, not just day 1.

If Ballard signs Jensen, Melvin, maybe even Suh to good-money contracts, then he's taking a swing with good players and it takes the pressure off of him having to hit with every draft pick.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I'm not excited about the performance of last year's draft picks, nor am I excited about the prospects of drafting a G, a RB, or a 7.37 3 cone DE with valuable pick #3.  Sometimes things don't break the right way for a GM, but Ballard better see these head winds and make very good decisions this offseason and next.

I think Ballard gets a pass in year one, seeing Luck didn’t play. However, his first draft was decent, but it was far from impressive. Unlike some fans, I’m not convinced nor should I that Ballard is a good GM yet. His 2nd draft will need to be very, very good or you have to start raising an eyebrow if Ballard is a good GM.

48 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Again......

What?     Are?     You?     Talking?     About?

Of course, Ballard took a big swing.     Or were you not around a few days ago when it was reported here that the Colts were a finalist for Norwell, the most expensive player in FA other than Kirk Cousins.      We offered a boat load.   That's why we were a finalist.

And now,  he's doing EXACTLY what he did last year.   Waiting a few days to buy mid and low priced players and he had a good FA last year.  

Mike Silver is an *     He's a friend of Grigson and is taking it out on Ballard.    He doesn't know jack.    And judging by your posts this week,  neither do you.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Are you crazy Personally I would rather have a hitter that got on base than go for the HR every time and get struck out most of the time.

If you want Grigson back because he tried and failed miserably that's just ridiculous, you might want to try being a fan of Miami who make a lot of big FA signings, lose there developed talent because of those big signings and end up cutting the big names 1 or 2 years into the contracts.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again......

Of course, Ballard took a big swing.     Or were you not around a few days ago when it was reported here that the Colts were a finalist for Norwell, the most expensive player in FA other than Kirk Cousins.      We offered a boat load.   That's why we were a finalist.

And now,  he's doing EXACTLY what he did last year.   Waiting a few days to buy mid and low priced players and he had a good FA last year.  

Mike Silver is an *     He's a friend of Grigson and is taking it out on Ballard.    He doesn't know jack.    And judging by your posts this week,  neither do you.

For crying out loud! Everyone who doesn't say Ballard is great on everything  doesn't know jack and has a agenda against him and the colts. Everyone hates irsay and is friends with Griggs...lol..... Same response when some on here were calling out griggs & pagano too...remember?

You want to give him credit for a 'report that he was one of 3 finalist in on Norwell' ...well Jags weren't one of those 3 and got him. Who knows or cares if those 'reports' are true. Its a Bottom Line business and bThe Bottom Line is he Failed to get Norwell. Just like he Failed to close deal on McDaniels. Just like his starting QB had major surgery on his throwing shoulder and thought Scott freaking Tolzein was a adequate QB2! He Failed to see the severity of the injury & he failed to have a professional qb to backup Luck.

Like Silver said Wow Me! 

What has he done to Wow anyone? 

You made a FA wishlist.... hows that coming along?

That just boggles the mind.

He is doing exactly what he said he would do - you know, following a plan.  That does not come close to being afraid to swing and miss.  

22 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

Are you crazy Personally I would rather have a hitter that got on base than go for the HR every time and get struck out most of the time.

If you want Grigson back because he tried and failed miserably that's just ridiculous, you might want to try being a fan of Miami who make a lot of big FA signings, lose there developed talent because of those big signings and end up cutting the big names 1 or 2 years into the contracts.

No i didn't like griggs. He made a lot of mistakes. But it wasn't for a lack of trying.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again......

Yes... And what he did last year led us to a 4-12 season!

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

1st: That was his first year you can't expect a Roster rebuild in someones first year

2nd: He had a coaching staff that he didn't pick running a defense he didn't like

3rd. He's trying to create a culture which takes time, and developing players with the right mentality and usually bringing in high paid free agents can destroy not build a culture. 

4th. Specific to Norwell if we brought him in at the same contract as he got in Jacksonville just imagine what Kelly would ask for knowing what we paid a G (which is less important then the C) or what Castonzo would ask for at his next contract because a LT is the most important position on the line. So basically by not having a history of overpaying, we can potentially save money with other lineman in the future.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

1st: That was his first year you can't expect a Roster rebuild in someones first year

2nd: He had a coaching staff that he didn't pick running a defense he didn't like

3rd. He's trying to create a culture which takes time, and developing players with the right mentality and usually bringing in high paid free agents can destroy not build a culture. 

4th. Specific to Norwell if we brought him in at the same contract as he got in Jacksonville just imagine what Kelly would ask for knowing what we paid a G (which is less important then the C) or what Castonzo would ask for at his next contract because a LT is the most important position on the line. So basically by not having a history of overpaying, we can potentially save money with other lineman in the future.

So by not bringing in talent, our players already here won't get jealous of their new teammates c0ntracts. 

I see, everybody's happy except the Fans 'caus team loses 'caus we lack talent.

No!    What Ryan Grigson during his time led us to 4-12.

Andrew Luck missing the entire season is what led us to 4-12.

The fact that you don't know that...   that you can't figure out 2 plus 2 equals 4 tells me all I need to know.

You've decided to take the easy way out as a Colts fan.   You're going to + and moan and complain and tell everyone you're smarter than Chris Ballard.   Good for you.

I've said for years here...  this is a passionate but ignorant and ill-informed fan base.   And that puts you with the masses, where it's easy to sit back and scream your unhappiness. 

I doubt you and the masses will have much fun this year...  load up now... it's all Chris Ballard's fault.   That's the best you can do.

13 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Nice effort...   but you're wasting your time here.   LJP has decided to be miserable.  And no one and nothing is going to deny him that misery.....   he's gone to the dark side..

24 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You have made some great points and I agree with you as I think about it well said. 

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So by not bringing in talent, our players already here won't get jealous of their new teammates c0ntracts. 

I see, everybody's happy except the Fans 'caus team loses 'caus we lack talent.

I have a question I would like to ask you. When I ask it, it's not meant to be argumentative or to start any animosity.

Did you join this forum to do nothing but whine and cry over everything they do?

That is all you have done since you have joined this forum. It's been non stop negative issues with you since day one.

Just curious.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice effort...   but you're wasting your time here.   LJP has decided to be miserable.  And no one and nothing is going to deny him that misery.....   he's gone to the dark side..

Gone over?  Nah, it's been since day one.:D

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fact that you don't know that...   that you can't figure out 2 plus 2 equals 4 tells me all I need to know.

You've decided to take the easy way out as a Colts fan.   You're going to + and moan and complain and tell everyone you're smarter than Chris Ballard.   Good for you.

I've said for years here...  this is a passionate but ignorant and ill-informed fan base.   And that puts you with the masses, where it's easy to sit back and scream your unhappiness. 

I doubt you and the masses will have much fun this year...  load up now... it's all Chris Ballard's fault.   That's the best you can do.

We'd may disagree and argue a lot.   But you do make some very good posts. 

Believe it or not I enjoy your input!!!!   HA

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have a question I would like to ask you. When I ask it, it's not meant to be argumentative or to start any animosity.

Did you join this forum to do nothing but whine and cry over everything they do?

That is all you have done since you have joined this forum. It's been non stop negative issues with you since day one.

Just curious.

Crazy.    I will tell you the same as I told NCF in the above post.    

We'd may disagree and argue a lot.   But you do make some very good posts. 

Believe it or not I enjoy your input!!!!   

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually you and your veiws are the ignorant and naive ones.....how long does Ballard have to be here before griggs stops getting the blame for this team? 3 seasona? 5 seasons? We get it, he was bad and arogant.

Teams go to last to first and vice versa all the time. Building a team is not brain surgery. It doesnt have to be a slow methodical 5 year process. Especially in the weak AFC.

This team has more weaknesses & needs than it did this time last year. If you can't see or admit to that then your as ignorant/naive homer as anyone here.

We need 3 WR's.....about 3 OL.... thin at TE..... Because Sheard is now DE we now even more needy in LBers.... Only CB's we have is Quincy & Hairston. We need Safetys backup caus Hooker & Geathers are coming off injures. Oh and we need a top RB.

How many of those needs can be filled with playmakers?  Doubtful if too many playmakers left in FA.... 

Like JShipp said "there's more holes being created than filled".

They will be filled though but by average to below average players. 

Spending on a playmaker or two wouldn't have hurt the rebuild and maybe possibly we could be somewhat competitive if other things go right.

It wouldn't make you and some others less of  a fan if you can admit that you may disagree with management once in a while. You don't have to publicly agree to every move they make and be so argumentative to others who voice their grievances.

It's everyone's right to be be a Blind Homer if they want so continue to do so if it makes you happy.

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Actually you and your veiws are the ignorant and naive ones.....how long does Ballard have to be here before griggs stops getting the blame for this team? 3 seasona? 5 seasons? We get it, he was bad and arogant.

Teams go to last to first and vice versa all the time. Building a team is not brain surgery. It doesnt have to be a slow methodical 5 year process. Especially in the weak AFC.

This team has more weaknesses & needs than it did this time last year. If you can't see or admit to that then your as ignorant/naive homer as anyone here.

We need 3 WR's.....about 3 OL.... thin at TE..... Because Sheard is now DE we now even more needy in LBers.... Only CB's we have is Quincy & Hairston. We need Safetys backup caus Hooker & Geathers are coming off injures. Oh and we need a top RB.

How many of those needs can be filled with playmakers?  Doubtful if too many playmakers left in FA.... 

Like JShipp said "there's more holes being created than filled".

They will be filled though but by average to below average players. 

Spending on a playmaker or two wouldn't have hurt the rebuild and maybe possibly we could be somewhat competitive if other things go right.

It wouldn't make you and some others less of  a fan if you can admit that you may disagree with management once in a while. You don't have to publicly agree to every move they make and be so argumentative to others who voice their grievances.

It's everyone's right to be be a Blind Homer if they want so continue to do so if it makes you happy.

It's not brain surgery?

Thats why teams like the Jags and the Raiders and the Cowboys and the Bikks missed the playoffs for about 15-20 straight years.

But you keep saying the job of GM is not that hard.    Why?    So people like you can sit in their home office typing away with your complaints.    "If only Chris Ballard would do what I tell him to do the team would be winners in no time flat!"

It gives you comfort and happiness to think YOU could be the Colts GM and do a better job than Ballard.   Of course that's never going to happen.   So you'll settle for the next best thing...  complaining.

Congratulations.

You've decided to be miserable...   I'm sorry you made that choice but it's all on you...

Good luck.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just curious.

Actually thats your m.o.....remember how defensive and argumentative you got on anyone daying something about griggs or pagano? About Irsay? About the waterboy.....anyone associated with the colts. 

You get into more heated discussions here than anyone I know....and with alot of different posters, not just one or two. And lots of times its not about football. Its about someone saying something negative about griggs/pags/irsay etc...

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not brain surgery?

Thats why teams like the Jags and the Raiders and the Cowboys and the Bikks missed the playoffs for about 15-20 straight years.

But you keep saying the job of GM is not that hard.    Why?    So people like you can sit in their home office typing away with your complaints.    "If only Chris Ballard would do what I tell him to do the team would be winners in no time flat!"

It gives you comfort and happiness to think YOU could be the Colts GM and do a better job than Ballard.   Of course that's never going to happen.   So you'll settle for the next best thing...  complaining.

Congratulations.

You've decided to be miserable...   I'm sorry you made that choice but it's all on you...

Good luck.

Colts dont make me miserable. If anything bothers me its the ignorant naive homers that cant see whats gping on.

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Colts dont make me miserable. If anything bothers me its the ignorant naive homers that cant see whats gping on.

By the way....   I love being called a homer..

Tyoicalky people complain that I'm not enough of a fan because I arrived with Luck and they wonder what I'll do when Luck retires.

So I'm either too much if a fan for you -- a homer...   OR I'm not enough of a fan for others..   perfect.

I'm a homer to you because I preach having a little patience and confidence in the GM.    But you think I'm wrong so I'm a homer...  perfect.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tyoicalky people complain that I'm not enough of a fan because I arrived with Luck and they wonder what I'll do when Luck retires.

So I'm either too much if a fan for you -- a homer...   OR I'm not enough of a fan for others..   perfect.

I'm a homer to you because I preach having a little patience and confidence in the GM.    But you think I'm wrong so I'm a homer...  perfect.

OK.  I'm confused.    Are you a homer or not????

13 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

OK.  I'm confused.    Are you a homer or not????

I'm not a homer...   I've never been a homer for any team I've supported as a fan for more than 50 years now.

There's nothing about being a homer that interests me.   But I like the process of watching my favorite team being put together..    I supported a Grigson his first few years until he gave me reason NOT to support him.    And I'll support Ballard the same way.   From what I've seen, he has my trust.   And it will stay that way until he loses it.   But I suspect that won't come for a very long time.  

Ballard is a pro.

Actually thats your m.o.....remember how defensive and argumentative you got on anyone daying something about griggs or pagano? About Irsay? About the waterboy.....anyone associated with the colts. 

You get into more heated discussions here than anyone I know....and with alot of different posters, not just one or two. And lots of times its not about football. Its about someone saying something negative about griggs/pags/irsay etc...

You still didn't answer my question.

Instead you turned it around and made it about me.

Classic response by someone skirting the question.

10 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Well exactly what developed talent do the Colts have at this point under Ballard?  What developed talent is he trying to keep? He has only been here a year and no one he drafted really looks like a sure fire hit.  Hooker has promise but also an ACL injury now.  Mack isn’t a franchise back...but a nice change of pace.  Colts need to infuse this roster with more playmakers by all means available to them and that includes free agency. Just because Griggson and some other GMs were bad at using free agency doesn’t mean it can’t be utilized effectively to establish a young talent base for a rebuilding franchise. 

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The Colts were Free Agency winners few years ago when Trent Cole Andre Johnson and Frank Gore were signed.

The point is just because you spend money doesn't make you a champion and Ballard is building us the correct way! 

That backfired because we didn't sign players that were still in their prime we gave a bunch of money to guys that were washed up. so I respectfully disagree with you.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not a homer...   I've never been a homer for any team I've supported as a fan for more than 50 years now.

There's nothing about being a homer that interests me.   But I like the process of watching my favorite team being put together..    I supported a Grigson his first few years until he gave me reason NOT to support him.    And I'll support Ballard the same way.   From what I've seen, he has my trust.   And it will stay that way until he loses it.   But I suspect that won't come for a very long time.  

Ballard is a pro.

So you're saying you jumped on the Colts train when we drafted Luck in 2012? 

And at the same time, if you "arrived" when Luck did, were you ever a fan of Manning's? 

Do you jump/join teams when players you like leave/join another team or retires?

Why have you been a sports fan for 50 years and just joined the Colts when we drafted Luck?

Or rather, which team(s) did you root for before Luck became a Colt? 

Or are you one those people who roots for players, not teams?

I'm just curious.