Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RIP Tom Benson

GwinnettColt

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Could the Mannings put a group together to purchase the Saints. Its been long hinted at that he may want to go this route and the Saints were on a short list of teams that was expected to have some ownership changes.

He couldn’t afford it unless he gets lots of investors, but then he wouldn’t be the majority owner. 

8 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

He couldn’t afford it unless he gets lots of investors, but then he wouldn’t be the majority owner. 

Likely not. It would probably be like how Derek Jeter is the face of the Marlins ownership group even though he doesn't own the majority. I would imagine Peyton would attract a group that could use his public figure and appeal that would drive marketing etc and his expertise of the game to represent them as the face of the franchise. He has pretty significant assets and of course growing up in New Orleans and his fathers ties to the team he has a history. He already just sold his Papa Johns franchises and I'm sure he could sell his wife's ownership part of the Grizzlies to use in establishing a pretty significant portion. Guess time will tell....but that is the way I would see him going...leveraging his bank-a-bility and expertise to run a team.

It is one thing to stick with a franchise when it is doing good. But Benson had to endure several "Saints seasons before he turned it around. Everyone makes a profit but I am not so sure, pre-salary cap, when teams like his stunk, he had too much of a great gig going on. I am sure there will always be something someone finds about a person when they are living, to drag them down. However, this moment, they should just let him RIP (unlike what recently happened with Stephen Hawking, that is the reason I am making this comment).

RIP Mr. Benson

He was a beloved person in the Bayou that's for sure. Given what Louisiana endured with Hurricane Katrina, it was nice to see Tom's team win a SB ring even if INDY came up short unfortunately. 

My condolences to Mr. Benson's friends & family.