Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Silver Calls out Ballard

Zoltan

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I will be careful how I answer the McDork part of your post. People are still sending me flowers for calling them out about wanting McDonkey. :D 

Ballard better have a game plan that works or it could go south on him in a hurry. 

Lol I hear you but I am really not intending to rub anyone’s face in it about McDaniels.  Some of us felt he was a wrong fit and some didn’t. It is what it is. I know that personally I have failed to see things that other fans were right about so it balances itself out.  

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Superman said:

I don't get the bolded.

Many people expected more activity from the Colts . Right or wrong, that is the perception of many. The media isn’t just pulling this story out of thin air. 

If we win then it won’t matter. If we lose then this perceived failure will be magnified. 

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol I hear you but I am really not intending to rub anyone’s face in it about McDaniels.  Some of us felt he was a wrong fit and some didn’t. It is what it is. I know that personally I have failed to see things that other fans were right about so it balances itself out.  

I thought Josh was a horrible choice.  I don't hold it against CB that we don't have Josh. 

I hold it against him that we almost did have Josh.

8 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't understand why some are making so many excuses for Ballard thus far. Yes he inherited a mess when he arrived last season as ANOTHER first time gm to run the Colts but I'm not all in on Ballard as some seem to be. He arrived last season flipping the roster with a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier type of players through FA which netted mixed reviews along with last year's draft class. The o-line seemed to regress and they were already bad.

The end result was that the Colts finished DEAD LAST in total offense, ranked DEAD LAST in the red zone, was 30th in scoring and ranked 30th in passing while allowing a league high 56 sacks. That's only on offense!!! I know Luck wasn't under center but did Ballard do anything to prevent whoever was under center (Brissett) from taking the same punishment that Luck had taken? Let's not forget that Ballard thought Scott Tolzien was the answer.

On to the defense that finished 28th against the pass, ranked 30th in points allowed, ranked 30th in yards given up and ended the season tied for last place within the division. This team needs a lot of work and the lack of movement seems puzzling. I'm not saying the Colts need to break the bank in FA but some holes can be filled with at least a couple of Pro Bowl type of players considering that the Colts have the 3rd most money to spend under the cap.

I understand Ballard wants to build through the draft but unless he's nailing it out the park by drafting some future HOFs and at least some perennial Pro Bowl types Luck's career will be wasted with the Colts. The Browns are a combined 1-31 in the past two seasons yet their new gm (Dorsey) doesn't seem to have a problem attracting players thus far. Ballard is doing Reich no favors thus far but then again if reports are true Ballard wanted Dan Campbell anyway after the McDaniels disaster.

Think about this it took the Colts to hit rock bottom as the train derailed under the dynamic duo of Grigson and Pagano BEFORE Ballard received his first job as gm in this league after being around for years. Ballard might turn out to be ok but I'm still not sold and I think every Colt fan should proceed with caution.

I agree. That said, I am reserving judgement until we see the results of this season. 

Your post will not be favorable on this board. But you’re not wrong. Brace yourself, because the pack is coming after you for that post. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Many people expected more activity from the Colts . Right or wrong, that is the perception of many. The media isn’t just pulling this story out of thin air. 

If we win then it won’t matter. If we lose then this perceived failure will be magnified. 

I expected you to send me $1,000 by next Monday at 4PM. I don't have my $1,000 yet. You have failed me. And I expect everyone to act like my completely made up, unreasonable expectation -- that you have failed to meet, in advance -- is legitimate and worthy of being considered.

Let's just make up expectations that have no basis in reality, and then before those fake expectations even have a reasonable chance to be satisfied, let's call people out for failing to meet them. And then, everyone should act like these fake, unreasonable expectations are anything but. That makes total sense. We're one day into free agency and we don't have a Lombardi yet? Ballard is failing us.

I mean, it's been one day. 

Just now, Superman said:

I expected you to send me $1,000 by next Monday at 4PM. I don't have my $1,000 yet. You have failed me. And I expect everyone to act like my completely made up, unreasonable expectation -- that you have failed to meet, in advance -- is legitimate and worthy of being considered.

Let's just make up expectations that have no basis in reality, and then before those fake expectations even have a reasonable chance to be satisfied, let's call people out for failing to meet them. And then, everyone should act like these fake, unreasonable expectations are anything but. That makes total sense. We're one day into free agency and we don't have a Lombardi yet? Ballard is failing us.

Was I supposed to give anyone $1,000?

Have I made a habit of giving someone $1,000 this time of year?

Are people emotionally attached to me giving someone $1,000?

That said, I am not giving you a grand. :D 

I will give you this though. Fans are always going to have expectations. When those expectations are not met then “over-time” fans will ask for a change. As much as fans want to win, they also want to define reasons for success and failure. 

Ballard is giving the fans a reason to define why this team sucks (if we are losers again in 2018). 

It started with McDaniels, and now the perception is that Ballard doesn’t know how to bring in free agents. We both know that can change tomorrow. 

I am holding out hope that Ballard has some sort of money ball angle here. I want to see if something like that could work in football. :D 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

You usually have great arguments, so you have to see the flaw in your argument here, right?

The reality is that the Colts finished 4-12 this past season, with an offense that finished near last (without Luck of course) but also a defense that finished near last. Logic would dictate that the team needs improvement. Lots of improvement.The Colts have the 3rd highest available cap in the league. So of course there would be expectations to use that money to improve the team. Those expectations are not made up, rather, based on sound logic.

I agree with you that it's too early to freak out. However, what's adding to this craziness is that this year has been unusual. Unlike years in the past, the flurry of signings has been incredible, with many deals struck before signing day even arrived. The perceived top talent was gone before FA even began.

We know that there are still opportunities out there to get some good players. There's time.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Was I supposed to give anyone $1,000?

Have I made a habit of giving someone $1,000 this time of year?

Are people emotionally attached to me giving someone $1,000?

That said, I am not giving you a grand. :D 

I will give you this though. Fans are always going to have expectations. When those expectations are not met then “over-time” fans will ask for a change. As much as fans want to win, they also want to define reasons for success and failure. 

Ballard is giving the fans a reason to define why this team sucks (if we are losers again in 2018). 

It started with McDaniels, and now the perception is that Ballard doesn’t know how to bring in free agents. We both know that can change tomorrow. 

I am holding out hope that Ballard has some sort of money ball angle here. I want to see if something like that could work in football. :D 

Maybe you can roll that $1000 over to next years cap ??

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lots of people here don't even know who Jensen is, and that automatically makes him a bad player.

Would you move Jensen to Guard? Is he a 10M guy, because that seems to be what it will take?  I'm still stunned at what some of these guys are getting.  I'd probably make a poor GM because I'd overpay for an OL right now given the entirety of the circumstance.  I would also trade back and pick a few more OL  until we have 5 guys who can physically move 5 other guys.

2 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Fake news. 

Talking heads doing what they do. 

Does anyone not remember the Polian Era? 

And a follow up to that; does anyone remember Grigson's dream team? 

We're fine 

Yeah, Grigson did a great job he totally bombed in two drafts I don't want hear how great Grigson was because we all know how terrible he was. 

2 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Good lord Grigson had Luck! Ballard has Brissett. Luck carried this team and got hurt under Grigson and Paganos watch. 

Ballard is stuck fixing this giant turd of a team Grigson created. :facepalm:

I don’t give Grigson credit for drafting Andrew Luck though. Colts had the number 1 overall pick that year and it doesn’t take a scout to know that Luck is and was better than Robert Griffin. 

Its like we go from Polian to a terrible GM in Grigson. And everyone cried about how much money he wasted. You'd think that everyone would welcome Ballard's approach, but no, they want Ballard to be more like Grigson and spend a ton of money in FA. If you followed the Colts at all when Polian was here,  Ballard's FA approach should be the expectation, particularly after we just canned a GM who crashed and burned in it.

1 minute ago, Jaredfor3 said:

I don’t give Grigson credit for drafting Andrew Luck though. Colts had the number 1 overall pick that year and it doesn’t take a scout to know that Luck is and was better than Robert Griffin. 

Now you're thinking like a Jared! :thmup:

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Its like we go from Polian to a terrible GM in Grigson. And everyone cried about how much money he wasted. You'd think that everyone would welcome Ballard's approach, but no, they want Ballard to be more like Grigson and spend a ton of money in FA. If you followed the Colts at all when Polian was here,  Ballard's FA approach should be the expectation, particularly after we just canned a GM who crashed and burned in it.

I can answer this. We probably want Ballard to spend more money because Luck is a lot older now than when he was drafted in 2012. With Grigson, I wanted to build through the draft, and build a team around Luck over a few years. Now that Luck is 28 and 29 at the beginning of the season, we have to rush the process with a team barren of talent. That isn't Ballard's fault, but he has to realize that Luck doesn't have as many years as he used to left, and he needs an O-Line to protect him.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

The problem with Grigson free agents was he'd bring in the over the hill gang, not quality free agents. So he never really spent that much but he did over pay.  

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Problem is most of the players that could make a significant impact are gone..Sure we can get some good players still I concede that, but we are down to lower talent options at every position already..Maybe Ballard is waiting for preseason cuts when he can have the pick of the litter when everyone else is out of money and we are #3 on waiver wire. ..Maybe that will work out..I don't know ? 

Wow! Being hired to build the team on other teams cuts. Irsay can sure pick 'em.

10 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You usually have great arguments, so you have to see the flaw in your argument here, right?

The reality is that the Colts finished 4-12 this past season, with an offense that finished near last (without Luck of course) but also a defense that finished near last. Logic would dictate that the team needs improvement. Lots of improvement.The Colts have the 3rd highest available cap in the league. So of course there would be expectations to use that money to improve the team. Those expectations are not made up, rather, based on sound logic.

I agree with you that it's too early to freak out. However, what's adding to this craziness is that this year has been unusual. Unlike years in the past, the flurry of signings has been incredible, with many deals struck before signing day even arrived. The perceived top talent was gone before FA even began.

We know that there are still opportunities out there to get some good players. There's time.

The expectations are not based on logic by anyone that has listened to what Ballard has said his approach to FA is.

Just now, Cynjin said:

The expectations are not based on logic by anyone that has listened to what Ballard has said his approach to FA is.

Ballard went after D. Poe last year and Norwell this year. He's shown that he will go after some big Free Agent acquisitions, despite saying otherwise. He just didn't close.

The expectations are legitimate based on what he's said and done..

30 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree. That said, I am reserving judgement until we see the results of this season. 

Your post will not be favorable on this board. But you’re not wrong. Brace yourself, because the pack is coming after you for that post. 

Ballard will be judged by wins and loses not free agency or the draft or anything else it's all about winning if he does that he'll be fine if he doesn't he'll be looking for employment that's really the long and short of it. 

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Ballard will be judged by wins and loses not free agency or the draft or anything else it's all about winning if he does that he'll be fine if he doesn't he'll be looking for employment that's really the long and short of it. 

You're not going to get wins or losses without partaking in Free Agency or the draft -- so this does matter.

It's like saying "the recipe doesn't matter -- all that matters is whether the pizza is good or not." Well, you need the recipe to have a good pizza.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Ballard went after D. Poe last year and Norwell this year. He's shown that he will go after some big Free Agent acquisitions, despite saying otherwise. He just didn't close.

The expectations are legitimate based on what he's said and done..

Again no, Ballard said he is not going to overpay for these free agents.  I don't remember him going after Poe last year, and I wish he could of landed Norwell, but that was a steep price for an OG.

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The problem with Grigson free agents was he'd bring in the over the hill gang, not quality free agents. So he never really spent that much but he did over pay.  

That is easy to say in hindsight. We won't know if they're free agents that Ballard spends on are any good regardless of how much money he spent. At the end of the day I like the approach he is taking by not going out and spending big money on free agents. I will perhaps disagree with spending big on free agents only when we are a couple players away from a Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You're not going to get wins or losses without partaking in Free Agency or the draft -- so this does matter.

I've been aggravated by the way things have been going in free agency for the Colts as anybody else but I'm trying hold back judgment until I see this team play in a meaningful game at least I'm trying but yeah it's difficult.   

31 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The bold is what I have said. A few times. :) 

Free agency and the draft will be the reasons cited for the wins and losses. 

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It does matter if fans don't go to games or buy merchandise or order Sunday ticket. The bottom line can be affected depending on Ballard's decisions.

Season tickets are already sold and there is still a waiting list. The TV contracts are already signed.

The only thing that matters is improving over last season.

But when your in the doom and gloom crowd everything is magnified to make things look worse than they are.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Again no, Ballard said he is not going to overpay for these free agents.  I don't remember him going after Poe last year, and I wish he could of landed Norwell, but that was a steep price for an OG.

No one is advocating for the over payment of these free agents.

We are advocating for the pursuit of theses tier 1 free agents to offer contracts that are worth their value, which will be a large amount, but not to the point of over paying.

We did go after Poe last year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792571/article/exchiefs-nt-dontari-poe-visiting-colts-jaguars

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

No one is advocating for the over payment of these free agents.

We are advocating for the pursuit of theses tier 1 free agents to offer contracts that are worth their value, which will be a large amount, but not to the point of over paying.

We did go after Poe last year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792571/article/exchiefs-nt-dontari-poe-visiting-colts-jaguars

Thanks for the info on Poe.  IMO the Jags did overpay for Norwell, 13 mil/year is more what a OT is paid, not a guard.  So if the Colts were to outbid Jacksonville, well that would be really overpaying.

57 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't understand why some are making so many excuses for Ballard thus far. Yes he inherited a mess when he arrived last season as ANOTHER first time gm to run the Colts but I'm not all in on Ballard as some seem to be. He arrived last season flipping the roster with a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier type of players through FA which netted mixed reviews along with last year's draft class. The o-line seemed to regress and they were already bad.

The end result was that the Colts finished DEAD LAST in total offense, ranked DEAD LAST in the red zone, was 30th in scoring and ranked 30th in passing while allowing a league high 56 sacks. That's only on offense!!! I know Luck wasn't under center but did Ballard do anything to prevent whoever was under center (Brissett) from taking the same punishment that Luck had taken? Let's not forget that Ballard thought Scott Tolzien was the answer.

On to the defense that finished 28th against the pass, ranked 30th in points allowed, ranked 30th in yards given up and ended the season tied for last place within the division. This team needs a lot of work and the lack of movement seems puzzling. I'm not saying the Colts need to break the bank in FA but some holes can be filled with at least a couple of Pro Bowl type of players considering that the Colts have the 3rd most money to spend under the cap.

I understand Ballard wants to build through the draft but unless he's nailing it out the park by drafting some future HOFs and at least some perennial Pro Bowl types Luck's career will be wasted with the Colts. The Browns are a combined 1-31 in the past two seasons yet their new gm (Dorsey) doesn't seem to have a problem attracting players thus far. Ballard is doing Reich no favors thus far but then again if reports are true Ballard wanted Dan Campbell anyway after the McDaniels disaster.

Think about this it took the Colts to hit rock bottom as the train derailed under the dynamic duo of Grigson and Pagano BEFORE Ballard received his first job as gm in this league after being around for years. Ballard might turn out to be ok but I'm still not sold and I think every Colt fan should proceed with caution.

Don't go over very well here but spot on and well said.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Just read through the way he writes about Grigson:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640020/article/no-sleep-in-naptown-my-week-at-the-nfl-scouting-combine

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480431/article/ryan-grigson-has-indianapolis-colts-targeting-super-bowl-50

Here's him answering a question:

Just go search through his tweets mentioning Grigson. I cannot find a single one that's not seeping through with unquestionable Grigson love.

I read the second article and holy cow Silver is a fanboy of Grigson, It also made me think how did he not get fired earlier he openly said he preferred players over 33.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Season tickets are already sold and there is still a waiting list. The TV contracts are already signed.

The only thing that matters is improving over last season.

But when your in the doom and gloom crowd everything is magnified to make things look worse than they are.

Or when you just go along for the ride, you take what's given to you, and say "thank you sir, may I have another". Such is life for a casual fan.