Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Silver Calls out Ballard

Zoltan

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

For the record - Mike Silver is good friends with Grigson and has been bagging on the Colts ever since we fired him. This is the most transparently unhinged biased garbage I've seen around in quite a while. I usually don't buy the conspiracies like "every national media hates the Colts" and I think most of those are nonsense, but this is really very very VERY easily traceable to his relationship with Grigson.. . 

I didn't realize that he was friends with Grigson. Probably extra salty since Ballard's former boss just fired Grigson in Cleveland...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm really shocked as some of this stuff, to be honest. 

Free agency gets treated like Christmas.  We have money, aren't good, so naturally we should be throwing money at everything that moves right?  That usually works for teams drafting in the top 5 doesn't it?

Our roster is terrible and we're changing schemes.  One or two big name guys isn't going to help much if they're surrounded by garbage.  We'll spend money, but this isn't a situation where we have one or two holes to fill.  It's gonna get spread out to probably a bunch of guys that don't make huge headlines or get you to "win free agency" status.

But that's not sexy so we have the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm in a couple of Colts groups on Facebook, it's REAL bad over there. Twitter's rough with this nonsense as well, but way easier to avoid the dummies. The most level-headed spot I've been to the past few days though has been the Colts Reddit channel, it's not nearly as childish as the other 2.

Most of the people that Post on Facebook about sports are completely clueless. ESPN went to that format years ago and some of the Posts on that Site are so hilarious. I just read them for a laugh. Some of them are awful and make no sense.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I think some things he could see coming better.than he does.. But it is really too early for me to pass any real judgement on what kind of job he is doing. 

You talking about him or me?  :D. (probably applies to all of us.)

But yeah, he's for sure gonna make some mistakes.  We might be watching some of them right now.  

We'll know soon enough!  :thmup:

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't realize that he was friends with Grigson. Probably extra salty since Ballard's former boss just fired Grigson in Cleveland...

If we wanna really get depressed, Cleveland figured out in one season what took us five.

5 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Free agency gets treated like Christmas.  We have money, aren't good, so naturally we should be throwing money at everything that moves right?  That usually works for teams drafting in the top 5 doesn't it?

Our roster is terrible and we're changing schemes.  One or two big name guys isn't going to help much if they're surrounded by garbage.  We'll spend money, but this isn't a situation where we have one or two holes to fill.  It's gonna get spread out to probably a bunch of guys that don't make huge headlines or get you to "win free agency" status.

But that's not sexy so we have the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

There's always going to be complaining. I just can't believe the amount of 'Ballard isn't doing anything!' level of stuff around here, when free agency just started. If we look back in two weeks and Ballard hasn't added good players, then I get it. 

NFL network (like i said in another thread) and many other networks are disparaging the Colts right now.  They are pointing out all the cap money and how bad the Colts are, etc, etc.  It's just what they do, we are going to have to listen to it for a week or so I'm guessing....like last year, it will simmer down a bit later, but since the cap money is there, they are hammering Ballard relentlessly.  I simply wanted to watch the NFL Network today to catch up on which free agents were talking to the Colts (because I thought Jordy Nelson & others might be) and when they were analyzing what the top 5 cap money teams were doing, they just concentrated & splashed negativity on the Colts for 10 minutes, geez, all of the broadcasters did it not just one (former players, etc.)  Just brutalized us.  Said there is only 2 of the top free agents left, blah blah,, I figured Ballard would have something for us today, but it's not to happen and I can't say I'm shocked.  The madness will taper off and Ballard will acquire a bunch of players to compete with one another, and then we need to kick butt and take names in the draft, which I think he will.  Once the draft is over and free agency has had a chance to materialize further, we should have a lot to look forward to in 2020 (could be next year but let's be realistic).  We are a work-in-progress and if we fail to realize that, we are just going to get high blood pressure.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

There's always going to be complaining. I just can't believe the amount of 'Ballard isn't doing anything!' level of stuff around here, when free agency just started. If we look back in two weeks and Ballard hasn't added good players, then I get it. 

Problem is most of the players that could make a significant impact are gone..Sure we can get some good players still I concede that, but we are down to lower talent options at every position already..Maybe Ballard is waiting for preseason cuts when he can have the pick of the litter when everyone else is out of money and we are #3 on waiver wire. ..Maybe that will work out..I don't know ? 

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Just curious, where does the forum land in level-headedness, higher being worse?

Overall I'd say it's pretty even keel, but it definitely depends on the topic. At one point there were so many "Fire Grigson," "Fire Pagano," "Trent Richardson Sucks" threads that I questioned whether or not I really wanted to hang around, but now that all of that has passed, it's much more level-headed.

We all have our moments though... especially in the offseason when we all become NFL GMs and know exactly what we need to do to get back to the Super Bowl. I'm just looking forward to the draft and getting past this free agency period.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

If we just add someone like Jensen I think many in here will be a lot calmer. I think many in here are just baffled we haven't done much yet because of the money we have. So I can see why. I am kind of in the middle because a lot of times when you sign someone in Free Agency they turn it out to be a dud but we have to improve the team. Maybe we can sign Jensen and someone like Suh or Honey Badger. Those are all 3 big splashes. Suh is older but still Top 5 at his position. Jensen and Badger are young pups. I am just throwing out names that are Good players. I like Pryor too, we need another WR - he is still young too.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just watched the video of it, it was on his twitter feed.  Between the video and his twitter feed he certainly gives the impression of being a pompous *.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just read through the way he writes about Grigson:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640020/article/no-sleep-in-naptown-my-week-at-the-nfl-scouting-combine

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480431/article/ryan-grigson-has-indianapolis-colts-targeting-super-bowl-50

Here's him answering a question:

Just go search through his tweets mentioning Grigson. I cannot find a single one that's not seeping through with unquestionable Grigson love.

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Problem is most of the players that could make a significant impact are gone..Sure we can get some good players still I concede that, but we are down to lower talent options at every position already..Maybe Ballard is waiting for preseason cuts when he can have the pick of the litter when everyone else is out of money and we are #3 on waiver wire. ..Maybe that will work out..I don't know ? 

We don't know that. The big "names" are gone, but how many could've actually made a difference? I could argue that Allen Robinson? Sammy Watkins? Andrew Norwell? The only one I was really on board with was Norwell, and he chose to go elsewhere, nothing you can do when a guy has 5 teams to choose from.

And keep in mind that with Moncrief's departure, we have ZERO picks left from the '13 & '14 drafts. ZERO. That's a huge mess to clean up, & having a GM to manage that cap money wisely & patiently is going to pay dividends when it's all said & done.

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Problem is most of the players that could make a significant impact are gone..

No they aren't.

Maybe Ballard is waiting for preseason cuts when he can have the pick of the litter when everyone else is out of money and we are #3 on waiver wire. ..Maybe that will work out..I don't know ? 

I disagree with this premise entirely. Why do you assume he's waiting for anything? It's Day 2 of free agency. 

This is not a prediction, but Ballard could still sign several quality free agents over the next week. 

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

It’s not just Silver calling Ballard out. 

Right or wrong, Ballard is taking a beating. Time will tell if he knows what he is doing. I am going to wait patiently and see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Right or wrong, Ballard is taking a beating. Time will tell if he knows what he is doing. I am going to wait patiently and see what happens. 

He's not taking a beating by anyone or any group that matters.   And besides, the job comes with taking the heat.

The only thing that matters is winning.  If we win, the heat will disappear.

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good heavens...

I might need to check out for a few days.

Yeah there is all the basketball on...I’m just going to tune out for a week. Not worth the hassle of listening to all the complainers. I never even knew there were this many members on this board until Ballard failed to have like 5 guys signed on day 1. Good luck monitoring all this!

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not taking a beating by anyone or any group that matters.   And besides, the job comes with taking the heat.

The only thing that matters is winning.  If we win, the heat will disappear.

Winning cures all.

He better hope we do. Several people are calling him out. Including Reggie Wayne. 

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

Then, stay tuned...

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we just add someone like Jensen I think many in here will be a lot calmer. I think many in here are just baffled we haven't done much yet because of the money we have. So I can see why. I am kind of in the middle because a lot of times when you sign someone in Free Agency they turn it out to be dud but we have to improve the team. Maybe we can sign Jensen and someone like Suh or Honey Badger. Those are all 3 big splashes. Suh is older but still Top 5 at his position. Jensen and Badger are young pups. I am just throwing out names that are Good players. I like Pryor too, we need another WR - he is still young too.

Lots of people here don't even know who Jensen is, and that automatically makes him a bad player.

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Mike Silver isn't the problem, IMO.

28 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Mike S must have read one of my posts from yesterday....it's almost word for word...I totally agree.

Not sure I would admit to have the same thoughts as Michael Silver.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not to mention there were reports that the Colts were linked to at least two guys who opted not to sign here for whatever reason.  That happens in free agency sometimes the free agent doesn’t pick your team.  That doesn’t mean the Colts weren’t active though.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Mike Silver isn't the problem, IMO.

I don’t think he is either. I think he gave his honest opinion with an honest reaction. Doesn’t make him right or wrong. Makes him human. 

I hope Ballard has some kind of money ball game plan that works. :D 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wayne is a former player turned media guy.  He doesn't get it.  I'm unimpressed.

Colts fans have a very deep-seeded love for Reggie Wayne. That love is mutual. Reggie loves us too. We all want to see him succeed. When he questions the Colts front office then fans listen. 

Reggie’s perception of the Colts matters to a lot of Colts fans. He still has strong roots here, and certainly has inside information. I’d be willing to bet he has Jim Irsay’s direct phone number. I’d also wager that if he called then Irsay would answer.

Lots of people are shaking their heads right now, wondering what the hell the Colts are doing. Maybe Ballard has some sort of money ball game plan. Whatever it is, it better work. Ballard has shined an unfavorable light in himself over the past couple of days. Failure at this point will be magnified. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

A lot of people are calling Ballard out. Reggie Wayne is even shaking his head because of the Colts inactivity. 

He better know what he is doing, because he has put a target on himself.

I am patiently waiting to see what this plan actually is. For Ballard's sake, it needs to work. The national media is about to light him up. 

Ballard’s honeymoon period is about over.  This off-season is critical for him in my opinion. Thus far I’m not that impressed.  The fact he actually wanted to hire Josh McDaniels raised my eyebrow. His spending of our cap room on average to mediocre type players has been disappointing but it is still early.  I’m going to try to suck it up and see how his offseason plan actually plays out but I am growing concerned. He has to nail this draft as he slides more of his chips in that direction. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard’s honeymoon period is about over.  This off-season is critical for him in my opinion. Thus far I’m not that impressed.  The fact he actually wanted to hire Josh McDaniels raised my eyebrow. His spending of our cap room on average to mediocre type players has been disappointing but it is still early.  I’m going to try to suck it up and see how his offseason plan actually plays out but I am growing concerned. He has to nail this draft as he slides more of his chips in that direction. 

I will be careful how I answer the McDork part of your post. People are still sending me flowers for calling them out about wanting McDonkey. :D 

Ballard better have a game plan that works or it could go south on him in a hurry. 

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He has to nail every draft.  This will be the easiest one he will have.
Unless i get my wish and he successfully guides us to the 1st pick next year, and then adds a couple YOUNG Blue Chip FA's next year. Then it is game on. THIS, should be his plan.

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Lots of people are shaking their heads right now, wondering what the hell the Colts are doing. Maybe Ballard has some sort of money ball game plan. Whatever it is, it better work. Ballard has shined an unfavorable light in himself over the past couple of days. Failure at this point will be magnified. 

I don't get the bolded.

I don't understand why some are making so many excuses for Ballard thus far. Yes he inherited a mess when he arrived last season as ANOTHER first time gm to run the Colts but I'm not all in on Ballard as some seem to be. He arrived last season flipping the roster with a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier type of players through FA which netted mixed reviews along with last year's draft class. The o-line seemed to regress and they were already bad.

The end result was that the Colts finished DEAD LAST in total offense, ranked DEAD LAST in the red zone, was 30th in scoring and ranked 30th in passing while allowing a league high 56 sacks. That's only on offense!!! I know Luck wasn't under center but did Ballard do anything to prevent whoever was under center (Brissett) from taking the same punishment that Luck had taken? Let's not forget that Ballard thought Scott Tolzien was the answer.

On to the defense that finished 28th against the pass, ranked 30th in points allowed, ranked 30th in yards given up and ended the season tied for last place within the division. This team needs a lot of work and the lack of movement seems puzzling. I'm not saying the Colts need to break the bank in FA but some holes can be filled with at least a couple of Pro Bowl type of players considering that the Colts have the 3rd most money to spend under the cap.

I understand Ballard wants to build through the draft but unless he's nailing it out the park by drafting some future HOFs and at least some perennial Pro Bowl types Luck's career will be wasted with the Colts. The Browns are a combined 1-31 in the past two seasons yet their new gm (Dorsey) doesn't seem to have a problem attracting players thus far. Ballard is doing Reich no favors thus far but then again if reports are true Ballard wanted Dan Campbell anyway after the McDaniels disaster.

Think about this it took the Colts to hit rock bottom as the train derailed under the dynamic duo of Grigson and Pagano BEFORE Ballard received his first job as gm in this league after being around for years. Ballard might turn out to be ok but I'm still not sold and I think every Colt fan should proceed with caution.