Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fluke_33

Zach Banner Released

Recommended Posts

I didn't even realize he was released.  This was of course like a week before I got knocked into a 4 week coma, so I have that going for me as to why I didn't remember.  Obviously, I didn't miss him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I didn't even realize he was released.  This was of course like a week before I got knocked into a 4 week coma, so I have that going for me as to why I didn't remember.  Obviously, I didn't miss him.

I think a lot of us were hoping he would make it to the practice squad but the browns scooped him up.   With his size i thought he would make it.  

With our needs i think he's worth bringing back but who knows. 

 

Sorry to hear about the coma!  That sounds terrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheMose said:

We need to sign his brother Bruce

I wouldn't mind his father, lincoln kennedy who at 50 or so can probably still bring for a few snaps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think a lot of us were hoping he would make it to the practice squad but the browns scooped him up.   With his size i thought he would make it.  

With our needs i think he's worth bringing back but who knows. 

 

Sorry to hear about the coma!  That sounds terrible.  

Eh, I was asleep the whole time.  I had some of the most vivid dreams of my entire life.  Like, I thought we won a double decker boat in a lawsuit and that I invented a video game and was rakin in the cash.  When I woke up and told my wife, she said none of that happened as nicely as she could. I was frustrated because she didn't believe me so I went through all my old emails to prove it to her.  I found nothing and was hoping to go back to sleep... lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I didn't even realize he was released.  This was of course like a week before I got knocked into a 4 week coma, so I have that going for me as to why I didn't remember.  Obviously, I didn't miss him.

I think he would be better if he lost weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Eh, I was asleep the whole time.  I had some of the most vivid dreams of my entire life.  Like, I thought we won a double decker boat in a lawsuit and that I invented a video game and was rakin in the cash.  When I woke up and told my wife, she said none of that happened as nicely as she could. I was frustrated because she didn't believe me so I went through all my old emails to prove it to her.  I found nothing and was hoping to go back to sleep... lol.

 

Sorry to hear about the coma, but this is really funny. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I think he would be better if he lost weight.

Part of his problem his size diminishes his ability because of poor technique.  His strength is more than adequate, but he lacks transfer power because he doesn't bend well forcing him to punch at an angle.  That coupled with his lack of speed/agility and he's a guy that get s beat consistently off the edge.  Tehy could bring him in as a camp body, but I'm not holding my breath.  Potential is there, but he needs a lot of development - which was the knock on him coming into the 2017 draft - and unless teams have the roster space to house him long enough, he may just jump around.  We'll see, though.  Not writing him off by any means, its just the path to success is not clearly defined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

 

Sorry to hear about the coma, but this is really funny. :D

No worries mate.  Humor is my defense mechanism and it drives the wife nuts sometimes because she had it a lot worse than I did no knowing what was going to happen to me.  So I get to crack the jokes about it here where I know it won't reach her eyes and ears lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not overreacting over 1 bad draft pick by Ballard, but many fans (including me) thought he was a poor selection. He is just too slow. 

 

I hope this isn’t a sign of poor ol evaluation in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

No worries mate.  Humor is my defense mechanism and it drives the wife nuts sometimes because she had it a lot worse than I did no knowing what was going to happen to me.  So I get to crack the jokes about it here where I know it won't reach her eyes and ears lol.

 

If I may ask could you share how it happened?  Was it sports?  I had a funny encounter no where near as sever as yours but I was playing indoor soccer and a Centerback with about 60lbs on me rushed me like a linebacker.  Out for a day and a half lol.  Wife swears up and down I was telling her math problems in my sleep... funny thing was I had a vivid dream to that I was developing some type of new networking algorithm that I was going to sell to Cisco and make millions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I think he would be better if he lost weight.

 

I think that's why we cut him...   I don't think it was due to his performance on the field...    just my hunch...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bertjones7 said:

Not overreacting over 1 bad draft pick by Ballard, but many fans (including me) thought he was a poor selection. He is just too slow. 

 

Yeah, that was a head scratcher at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I think that's why we cut him...   I don't think it was due to his performance on the field...    just my hunch...

 

He needs to lose weight he is too slow cause he has too much weight on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Not overreacting over 1 bad draft pick by Ballard, but many fans (including me) thought he was a poor selection. He is just too slow. 

 

I hope this isn’t a sign of poor ol evaluation in general. 

 

If i remember correctly, all of the articles I read at draft time talked about how Joe Philbin visited with Banner and fell in love with him and spoke glowingly of him and blah blah blah.

 

I always saw this as Ballard giving Philbin "his guy" when Philbin was banging the table for him come draft time.

 

When they cut him, I actually saw this as a good thing for Ballard. The moment they realized he wasn't what they thought he was, he owned up to the mistake and cut him loose. You aren't performing or helping, you aren't here. No more hanging on to a guy just because he was drafted.

 

That type of competition and message makes all players accountable.

 

So i do not think it is necessarily an OL evaluation issue. I think this was giving a coach who he wanted. And that coach is no longer here.

 

I will say though, that the OL is one spot where things could get dicey. Dave DeGuglielmo was McDaniels' choice as OL coach and we honored his contract under Reich. He is one of those 3 "misfit" coaches we retained. I liked us keeping Eberflus. I wasn;t so sure about DeGuglielmo.

 

So i wonder if he is involved in the OL player evaluations or if it is a case of Ballard and his staff evaluating and bringing guys in that he wants and simply saying to DeGuglielmo "here are the guys we got, coach them up". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

 

If i remember correctly, all of the articles I read at draft time talked about how Joe Philbin visited with Banner and fell in love with him and spoke glowingly of him and blah blah blah.

 

I always saw this as Ballard giving Philbin "his guy" when Philbin was banging the table for him come draft time.

 

When they cut him, I actually saw this as a good thing for Ballard. The moment they realized he wasn't what they thought he was, he owned up to the mistake and cut him loose. You aren't performing or helping, you aren't here. No more hanging on to a guy just because he was drafted.

 

That type of competition and message makes all players accountable.

 

So i do not think it is necessarily an OL evaluation issue. I think this was giving a coach who he wanted. And that coach is no longer here.

 

I will say though, that the OL is one spot where things could get dicey. Dave DeGuglielmo was McDaniels' choice as OL coach and we honored his contract under Reich. He is one of those 3 "misfit" coaches we retained. I liked us keeping Eberflus. I wasn;t so sure about DeGuglielmo.

 

So i wonder if he is involved in the OL player evaluations or if it is a case of Ballard and his staff evaluating and bringing guys in that he wants and simply saying to DeGuglielmo "here are the guys we got, coach them up". 

 

A GM is supposed to GM, and a coach is supposed to coach the players the GM brings in. Ballard wasn't hired to be giving out Draft picks to positional coaches. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't really cut him.  They signed him to the PS so they didn't think he was quite ready to supplant Clark or Good, but they wanted to keep him around.  

 

Which is another reason why I didn't understand the pick.  Good improved and Clark regressed, both to the point of being about 4th round talent at the time Banner was drafted in the 4th.....top of the 4th before Mack.  Banner seemed redundant, and was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

A GM is supposed to GM, and a coach is supposed to coach the players the GM brings in. Ballard wasn't hired to be giving out Draft picks to positional coaches. 

 

 

In theory this is correct and ideal. But in practice this is often not how it goes. Hell when we were courting McDaniels and then his replacement, Ballard even preached how it would be a guy who could be part of the team and work together and blah blah blah. 

 

Heck even Grigson and Pagano had instances like this. I remember Pagano wanted Landon Collins one year and Grigson didn’t take him and took Dorsett (I think) instead. And so the next year they appeased him and took TJ Green who Pagano wanted. 

 

Your point is well taken in that most of the time the guys the coaches want end up sucking. 

 

My only point w the original post I made was that if people were fretting over the Banner pick being evidence that Ballard is going to struggle evaluating offensive lineman, that isn’t any indicator since he was using scouts from the Grigson staff and giving Philbin his guy. Hopefully lesson learned lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Surge89 said:

 

If I may ask could you share how it happened?  Was it sports?  I had a funny encounter no where near as sever as yours but I was playing indoor soccer and a Centerback with about 60lbs on me rushed me like a linebacker.  Out for a day and a half lol.  Wife swears up and down I was telling her math problems in my sleep... funny thing was I had a vivid dream to that I was developing some type of new networking algorithm that I was going to sell to Cisco and make millions...

Sent you a pm. Its just too long a story for a sports forum. But I dont mind sharing with anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

A GM is supposed to GM, and a coach is supposed to coach the players the GM brings in. Ballard wasn't hired to be giving out Draft picks to positional coaches. 

 

That went out the window when Parcells said they want you to cook without shopping for the groceries.

Picking players in the draft is what the GM does but it's far from him and him alone who makes the choices. Coaches and the scouts have an input just as much as the GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I didn't even realize he was released.  This was of course like a week before I got knocked into a 4 week coma, so I have that going for me as to why I didn't remember.  Obviously, I didn't miss him.

 

17 hours ago, Surge89 said:

 

If I may ask could you share how it happened?  Was it sports?  I had a funny encounter no where near as sever as yours but I was playing indoor soccer and a Centerback with about 60lbs on me rushed me like a linebacker.  Out for a day and a half lol.  Wife swears up and down I was telling her math problems in my sleep... funny thing was I had a vivid dream to that I was developing some type of new networking algorithm that I was going to sell to Cisco and make millions...

Sorry to hear about those but glad those experiences were atleast positive and humorous. The movie Groundhogs Day sums up the "good" part of my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I will say though, that the OL is one spot where things could get dicey. Dave DeGuglielmo was McDaniels' choice as OL coach and we honored his contract under Reich. He is one of those 3 "misfit" coaches we retained. I liked us keeping Eberflus. I wasn;t so sure about DeGuglielmo.

 

So i wonder if he is involved in the OL player evaluations or if it is a case of Ballard and his staff evaluating and bringing guys in that he wants and simply saying to DeGuglielmo "here are the guys we got, coach them up". 


I also kind of figured the Banner pick was for Philbin. The whole "Philbin spent four hours with Banner in the film room" before the draft and all that.

The DeGuglielmo part of your post is why I quoted though. I've had the same concerns or thoughts about him. Loved keeping Eberflus, and it seems like he and Phair will be a fine fit. But I'm really curious about DeGug's fit. I wonder about the shematic chemistry of Reich and DeGug, and like you mention, what kind of players they're looking for/if DeGug has much input or not. I'm sure they've talked endlessly about it but yeah, I'm very curious to see how the offense turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 2:43 AM, crazycolt1 said:

That went out the window when Parcells said they want you to cook without shopping for the groceries.

Picking players in the draft is what the GM does but it's far from him and him alone who makes the choices. Coaches and the scouts have an input just as much as the GM.

 

Coaches and scouts have input...   but it's rarely to the level of the GM.    Maybe in New England where Belichick wears both hats...   but in most franchises it's the GM who has the last word.  The input of everyone else is somewhat less...    and it varies from franchise to franchise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...