Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Post Combine Draft (Major Trade!)

This draft is based on that we...

- resign Mathis to a 4 year deal

- let both Wayne and Garcon walk(Garcon may be asking for too much money, but still may be back if money isnt out there from other teams.)

- resign Wheeler, Anderson, Pollak all for cheap

- sign FAs OG Ben Grubbs, SS Tom Zbikowski, DT/DE Luis Castillo

1st- QB Andrew Luck

- Indy trades 34th pick, 2013 3rd, and TE Dallas Clark to Arizona for their 13th overall pick. (AZ is a team that needs a TE badly, and its also very possible Peyton ends up here.)

- Indy selects NT Dontari Poe (This guy is being compared to a more raw Haloti Ngata, and Pagano would salivate at the opportunity to get a guy similar to Ngata in potential)

- Indy trades DE Dwight Freeney and 2012 5th to Buffalo for 2012 2nd and 3rd round picks. (Buffalo has switched to the 4-3, and with the addition of Freeney, they now have a great DL to get after Brady and Sanchez. From Indy's perspective, I believe in trading aging veterans while we can still get value for them, and Freeney doesnt greatly fit our new 3-4 hybrid defense. Plus we still have Mathis, Wheeler, and Hughes at OLB.)

2nd(via trade)- WR Reuben Randle (Gives us a WR to replace Wayne since he has the potential to be a #1 WR.)

3rd- CB/KR Jayron Hosley (We need another corner opposite Powers. Plus Hosley can help in the return game which we need.)

3rd(via trade)- WR/KR Joe Adams (We still need one more WR to pair with Collie and Randle. Adams would be the explosive player at WR and would be great in the slot.)

4th- TE Ladarius Green (A bit raw, but could end up being the next Jermichael Finley or Jimmy Graham.)

Rest of draft- BPA

Is that enough to get Arizona's pick? I'm not sure about that, and the more I look at Poe's highlights the more I think he's just a workout warrior. I really don't see a lot of production on the field. With the 11th pick I'd rather take Courtney Upshaw, Michael Floyd, Dre Kirkpatrick or David DeCastro and take Brandon Thompson in the 2nd.

I''m a little confused on the Poe/Ngata comparisons. Isn't Ngata a 3-4 DE while Poe is a 3-4 NT? How do they compare?

With this draft...

We are mostly set on Offense provided Pollak plays better at C than he did at OG, and if our young WRs provide some quick transition into the NFL by producing early. The only position a little weak is TE since Ladarius Green is so raw and we only have Tamme other than him.

On Defense, we are set on the DL with Poe and AJ able to play NT/DT, while Moala, Nevis, Castillo, and Anderson can all play DE. All in all, we have a very good rotation. LBs we should be good with Mathis, Wheeler, and Hughes able to play OLB, and Angerer and Conner playing ILB. Brackett may be retained at a lower cost to provide depth as well. DB still may be a little weak but we can add to it in next draft. Our new scheme should improve pass rush though so DBs will not be under as much pressure to cover as long.

Is that enough to get Arizona's pick? I'm not sure about that, and the more I look at Poe's highlights the more I think he's just a workout warrior. I really don't see a lot of production on the field. With the 11th pick I'd rather take Courtney Upshaw, Michael Floyd, Dre Kirkpatrick or David DeCastro and take Brandon Thompson in the 2nd.

I''m a little confused on the Poe/Ngata comparisons. Isn't Ngata a 3-4 DE while Poe is a 3-4 NT? How do they compare?

Thats something else I considered was trading up for Michael Floyd and then getting Brandon Thompson in the mid 2nd. Poe seems to have the athletism though to play both NT and DE.

With this draft...

We are mostly set on Offense provided Pollak plays better at C than he did at OG, and if our young WRs provide some quick transition into the NFL by producing early. The only position a little weak is TE since Ladarius Green is so raw and we only have Tamme other than him.

On Defense, we are set on the DL with Poe and AJ able to play NT/DT, while Moala, Nevis, Castillo, and Anderson can all play DE. All in all, we have a very good rotation. LBs we should be good with Mathis, Wheeler, and Hughes able to play OLB, and Angerer and Conner playing ILB. Brackett may be retained at a lower cost to provide depth as well. DB still may be a little weak but we can add to it in next draft. Our new scheme should improve pass rush though so DBs will not be under as much pressure to cover as long.

IMO a TE is one of the most important players for a rookie QB. He's a safety outlet. I think with drafting a QB we need better that a below average TE (Tamme)

We aren't trading Freeney, Pagano just said last week we will keep both him and Mathis. Irsay has talked about having him and Mathis back. It's getting to be pretty bad when the team tells you are they keeping someone and that's not enough to make people think we are keeping them anymore.

I really doubt even with the extras we threw in there that a team is going to give us a first rounder for Dallas. It's think far more likely that AZ would just target a tightend in the draft. Like FireJimCaldwell said these two trades plus releasing Manning is going to result in a lot of dead cap space that will prevent us from making other moves.

Also at some point you have to have some players for Luck to be able to play with as well. Yes we are rebuilding but Irsay went out of his way to say that he wants to keep some of our talented vets. We have enough holes to fill without making more by trading away all of our good players as well. Having a DT isn't going to do us much good if we have to trade away a lot of other picks to be able to get other players to help the DT on defense. It's also not going to help if we chew up all our capsapce by trading away vet players.

There looks to be some good DTs that should be there at the end of round one or the early part of round two. If that's the way we go (we might very well look to free agency to get us a DT) we might package the second rounder with a later pick or a pick next year to move into round one to get a DT if we don't think one of the ones we are going to want is going to fall to us.