Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts Sign Denico Autry

Virtuoso80

38 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Anything is possible but a 6'6" 265/270ish player needs to predominantly play on the end.  

I agree with this. I think that is what he will be...but they might occasionally get creative in how they deploy him.

14 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

This guy played at 3-4 DE last year for the Raiders, which is a bit strange, because he kinda like Sheard (275 pound), a bit taller. I'd assume that such a tweener would play as OLB in 3-4 rather than DE, but I don't know the Raiders system.

Anyway, think of a bit taller Sheard or a skinnier Anderson, and you have an idea. He did pretty well for a such undersized 3-4 DE. His 6 sacks and cca 30 pressures from the inside was more than Andersons's + Hankins's combined. And Anderson and Hankins actualyl played pretty well.

I have a feeling that this guy might be another sneaky under the radar pretty good signing. Like Simon or Sheard were last year. Not a Freeney, but quite good. We now have 3 DE's in Sheard, Autry and Basham for early downs / balanced front.

(Btw, I think this means we can say good bye to #3 pick and Chubb. Ballard is preparing for the Bills trade, so let's start looking for potential Colts fits at 1/12 and 1/21.)

Can't do that quite yet.  Gotta know if we re-sign Melvin, Desir, or some other CB in the next few days.  Having said that, I like SS Derwin James at 12, or maybe RT McGlinchey..

16 minutes ago, J@son said:

Not necessarily. Look at the depth charts for Seattle and Dallas. They use different types of players at LDE and RDE. Autry could fit at one DE position but not the other.the LDE will most likely be substantially larger than the RDE. 

Yeah, and Landry would seem to be more of the prototypical Seattle-style RDE.   

3 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Shrerad is considered a pass rusher, and Basham is suppose to be, and Simon can rush some, but from what position?:thinking: I would also bet Anderson can rush some?

Look at all the great pass rush defenses from the past few years, all of them had multiple guys that could get to the QB from multiple spots on the defense. I have no problem adding pass rushers upon pass rushers.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Can't do that quite yet.  Gotta know if we re-sign Melvin, Desir, or some other CB in the next few days.  Having said that, I like SS Derwin James at 12, or maybe RT McGlinchey..

We could chat about Chubb and Barkley endlessly without knowing what will happen in free agency. :D

(I like Derwin James and McClinchey too. I prefer someone like Roquan Smith in place of James though.)

1 minute ago, Peterk2011 said:

We could chat about Chubb and Barkley endlessly without knowing what will happen in free agency. :D

(I like Derwin James and McClinchey too. I prefer someone like Roquan Smith in place of James though.)

I like Smith a lot, but I read somewhere where he was medically red flagged at the combine.  Not sure how serious it was though.

I feel even better about the signing after seeing that the Titans has to drop 3 years and $21M to keep DaQuan Jones. 

Autry went for right around what people predicted he would before free agency opened and before everyone started handing out crazy contracts. Good get at a proper price point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Look at all the great pass rush defenses from the past few years, all of them had multiple guys that could get to the QB from multiple spots on the defense. I have no problem adding pass rushers upon pass rushers.

I agree but if you have 6 or 7 and you need DT's as well how can you carry.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard of this guy.  When I think of good free agent signing guidelines, the first requisite is that you have to have heard of the player.  How many of you can say you've heard of this man?  Ballard better show me something soon or he'll be Grigson2.

27 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I like the signing. We'll get the best years of his career, and he's a massive upgrade over Margus Hunt. Anderson now has real competition. I guy who can actually sack a QB.

Rap sheet said the Colts have had their eye in him since last year and he was our 1st. signing if that means anything.  Looks like a player with a lot of upside in the right system. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard of this guy.  When I think of good free agent signing guidelines, the first requisite is that you have to have heard of the player.  How many of you can say you've heard of this man?  Ballard better show me something soon or he'll be Grigson2.

This is like... the polar opposite of what Grigson was doing. wth are you talking about?

Meh.  

Not a terrible deal for the Colts.  

If he doesn't improve this year they are only on the hook for $6.5M.  

I think they overpaid for someone like him, but everyone else is overpaying too.  

I like the "prove it" contracts though. 

1 hour ago, P'Son said:

Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard of this guy.  

Actually, that might infer more about your following of the game, than it does about this players ability.

I didn't know who Rashaan Melvin was before we signed him either. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is like... the polar opposite of what Grigson was doing. wth are you talking about?

Huh?

So far, Ballard and Grigson have approached free agency in mostly the  same way.   Be price sensitive.

Both GMs have targeted mid-level and more inexpensive players that will hopefully out-perform their contract.

The only expensive guy Grigson ever bought was Gosder Cherilus who he made the highest paid RT in football.   Otherwise....?

They both have avoided the expensive guys that rarely work out.

Now...   you can say Grigson favored more veteran type of players and Ballard is focusing on getting younger -- if that's your argument then I'm with you.   But price-wise they are the same.   And I'm ok with that.

What I'm hoping for is that Ballard and his team are better judges of talent than Grigson.   If that holds up -- and I think it did in Ballard's first year --  then we're going to be good going forward.

I like the approach.   I just want it executed better.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

You can't watch it here but you can just click on the title/bring it up through Youtube and it'll play.

It's only several plays spread out over a couple minutes but it's nice to get a feel for the guy. He looks tall/long, gets those hands up for deflections, seems disruptive/fights through contact.

I stop watching vids on guys because all it shows is the good stuff not the negative or positive in one vid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

So far, Ballard and Grigson have approached free agency in mostly the  same way.   Be price sensitive.

Both GMs have targeted mid-level and more inexpensive players that will hopefully out-perform their contract.

The only expensive guy Grigson ever bought was Gosder Cherilus who he made the highest paid RT in football.   Otherwise....?

They both have avoided the expensive guys that rarely work out.

Now...   you can say Grigson favored more veteran type of players and Ballard is focusing on getting younger -- if that's your argument then I'm with you.   But price-wise they are the same.   And I'm ok with that.

What I'm hoping for is that Ballard and his team are better judges of talent than Grigson.   If that holds up -- and I think it did in Ballard's first year --  then we're going to be good going forward.

I like the approach.   I just want it executed better.   

Landry was expensive/injury prone.

Johnson - expensive and old. 

Thomas - Expensive and never played/unproven.

Cole expensive and old. 

RJF - expensive and unproven

I dont see CB going after the old and unproven, I think he is doing well.

Look at the Suh and Mathieu situations, they sign high priced deals and never see the end of the contract. 

4 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Landry was expensive/injury prone.

Johnson - expensive and old. 

Thomas - Expensive and never played/unproven.

Cole expensive and old. 

RJF - expensive and unproven

I dont see CB going after the old and unproven, I think he is doing well.

Look at the Suh and Mathieu situations, they sign high priced deals and never see the end of the contract. 

If you think those guys were expensive then you don't know NFL money.   

None if them were exoensive.   Those were mid priced buys.   They just weren't good signings which is what I've talked about in this thread.   Grigson made a large number of poor signings.   But none of those guys were "expensive".

Honestly.

I like the signing.

16 games, 3 starts.

36 tackles, 5 sacks.

Give him 16 games and starts, stats would probably look more like 45 tackles, 8 sacks.

Which is a steal in FA for a 1 year $6 million deal essentially, compared with how salaries in this FA period has gone so far.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you think those guys were expensive then you don't know NFL money.   

None if them were exoensive.   Those were mid priced buys.   They just weren't good signings which is what I've talked about in this thread.   Grigson made a large number of poor signings.   But none of those guys were "expensive".

Honestly.

They were very expensive on a production basis quite clearly - I do not need stats to show that to you. 

In the NFL it is very expensive to pay players that dont play. 

Case closed.......

ROTFlmao...not expensive at all, just not good players at all.

NFL free agency is where you overpay, and none of RG's contracts were more than $7 million a year.

The league has backups getting that money right now.

Unfortunately, none of those players panned out.

Imagine if Cherlius and Donald Thomas never got injured, Laron Landry played close to his pro-bowl status, Bradshaw and Vick Ballard never got injured.