Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts Sign Denico Autry

Virtuoso80

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's not eye popping but he's only 27 and he's pretty Good. That seems like a reasonable deal as well.

And his stats have improved as well. I like the signing, even if he's just a depth/rotational guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

5 sacks as a reserve lineman is pretty damn good IMO. I like it.

Has played at least 60% of the defensive snaps over the past three seasons though. Will most likely get a good shot at being a starting DE this season...especially since they reportedly love him.

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Do we really need a lot of DL help?

I think so. Big part of the new defense is supposed to be getting pass rush/pressure from front 4. I don't know much(read: anything) about this guy, but I understand targeting d-line.

6 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

No idea who this is but I'll give him a chance.  But honestly I'd rather just see how Basham does in the 4-3 than sign some guy none of us have heard of.

Well 1) I'm sure many have heard of him before and 2) what makes you think we won't get to see how Basham does int he 4-3?

28 minutes ago, Southside Hoosier Fan said:

Quite underwhelming and appears we didn't even do it right and filed paperwork incorrectly.

Seems like a very good signing to me from what i'm reading.

And i'm sure if we're in November and he has 7 sacks, alot of people will be like "Yeah, but his paperwork was filed to the wrong office last March."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those that aren't familiar with Autry, if you look to any artciles about him or any Raiders commentary just about everything said he was a guy they "should" or "must" re-sign.

The early cap projections for him before free-agency started said "Mid 5s" for annual salary. So we didn't really overpay when you consider this is a $5.9M annual average and only really the first year with guaranteed money.

He played really well patrolling the interior DL for Oakland a lot last year.

I will emphasize that from everything I have seen and the handful of Raiders games I saw, Autry seemed to play inside more than outside. Not sure if that is the plan with the Colts or not.

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

Well 1) I'm sure many have heard of him before and 2) what makes you think we won't get to see how Basham does int he 4-3?

Well prior to the draft I saw Basham as exclusively a 4-3 DE so I was looking forward to seeing how he did.  This can only limit his opportunities.  Again, not really complaining, more of a personal thing.

3 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

For those that aren't familiar with Autry, if you look to any artciles about him or any Raiders commentary just about everything said he was a guy they "should" or "must" re-sign.

The early cap projections for him before free-agency started said "Mid 5s" for annual salary. So we didn't really overpay when you consider this is a $5.9M annual average and only really the first year with guaranteed money.

He played really well patrolling the interior DL for Oakland a lot last year.

We need pass rush up the middle...... come to think of it, pass rush from ANYWHERE would be a good thing.

• Like 1

Just now, bananabucket said:

Well prior to the draft I saw Basham as a 4-3 DE so I was looking forward to seeing how he did.  This can only limit his opportunities.  Again, not really complaining, more of a personal thing.

If he shows himself in TC, preseason and practice then he'll playing time.  Right now we really only have Sheard as a viable Leo for the new defense.  Basham is a question mark.  Simon is a questionable fit...will more likely play SAM.  We needed more than just one DE.

But no WAY would I avoid signing a potentially productive DE just to make sure Basham gets his shot.  

2 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Well prior to the draft I saw Basham as exclusively a 4-3 DE so I was looking forward to seeing how he did.  This can only limit his opportunities.  Again, not really complaining, more of a personal thing.

Just now, J@son said:

If he shows himself in TC, preseason and practice then he'll playing time.  Right now we really only have Sheard as a viable Leo for the new defense.  Basham is a question mark.  Simon is a questionable fit...will more likely play SAM.  We needed more than just one DE.

But no WAY would I avoid signing a potentially productive DE just to make sure Basham gets his shot.  

Chris Ballard has preached competition since day one. So if Basham doesn’t get his shot, it’s cause he didn’t earn his shot 

Chuck Pagano isn’t here anymore to keep the superior player on the bench just cause they don’t practice hard enough for him :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stoney said:

6'6 265 great size on the edge for a 4-3. Sounds like good depth 

I think he's bigger, more like 275.  I wouldn't call him an edge, more of the LDE.  I'd think of him....in the old scheme....as the Erik Walden player opposite Edge Mathis.

I asked a Raiders fan if Autry was any good:

"He was and has been the team's best interior pass rusher for the last 3 or so years. That said, the Raiders have had virtually no interior pass rush for the past 3 seasons. He's a rotational starter on the inside only. Some have projected him as a base end in a 4-3, but he hasn't played there."

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

Has the coaching staff mentioned their plan for Simon?  I had been assuming he'd play opposite Sheard.

Here's the info from his pro day:

Defensive end Denico Autry timed 4.98s in the forty, touched 30-inches on the vertical jump and 9-1 on the broad. His other marks included a 4.54s short shuttle and 7.3s cone run. 

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Interesting...does this give the Colts a little safety net to move down, should Chubb be gone by 3 ? 

Not saying he’s Chubb but it could affect the draft. Nice move by Ballard!

i was wondering the same thing.