Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sitting On The Edge

Warhorse

Here we are, poised on the brink of an entirely new Colt team, staff, and approach to games. I want to recognize at this time the incredible opportunity I have personally been able to experience with this team. The Colts during the 2000 decade was the greatest team I have ever been fortunate enough to root for. All of it. The great players and coaches that have carried themselves with class and dignity.....all the way to the way they all prepared and executed on game day. I got to see something truly special.

Record after record, both individual ones and team ones. The Colts have been one of the most talked about and revered teams over a 10 year span in the history of the NFL. And they were my Colts. I seriously would not trade the experience of being a Colt fan over this time period for the experience of any other teams fans.....I don't care how many championships were included. The Colts did it, and they did it right.

There is no way to know what the next era brings. I learned as a fan since 70, that winning consistently is a rare thing. Regardless of what the future brings, I am proud and satisfied as having rooted for such a great franchise. I would calmly offer the thought that it would be folly to lessen the greatness of what we have had, in a effort to justify the future.

I agree. What the Colts accomplished during the Manning era (and it wasn't just Peyton, it was due to the efforts of other people too) was incredible. Not just football incredible, sports incredible. Here's hoping the future brings even better things to Colts fans

I agree. There were some amazing games, plays, and memories. I'm glad I got to witness it. The 09 season, where we had like 9 come from behind wins was the most fun to watch. I think the best thing about it was that in the midst of all of our success, our players carried themselves with dignity and respect for the game, the team, and the fans.

The Colts have an opportunity to acquire new team members and effect a sort of "change of command" and though it may be difficult the winning ways of the past decade don't have to stop yet. Like Samuel Clemens said "the reports of my death were greatly exaggerated."

The Colts aren't dead just yet, just taking a little break.

Here we are, poised on the brink of an entirely new Colt team, staff, and approach to games. I want to recognize at this time the incredible opportunity I have personally been able to experience with this team. The Colts during the 2000 decade was the greatest team I have ever been fortunate enough to root for. All of it. The great players and coaches that have carried themselves with class and dignity.....all the way to the way they all prepared and executed on game day. I got to see something truly special.

Record after record, both individual ones and team ones. The Colts have been one of the most talked about and revered teams over a 10 year span in the history of the NFL. And they were my Colts. I seriously would not trade the experience of being a Colt fan over this time period for the experience of any other teams fans.....I don't care how many championships were included. The Colts did it, and they did it right.

There is no way to know what the next era brings. I learned as a fan since 70, that winning consistently is a rare thing. Regardless of what the future brings, I am proud and satisfied as having rooted for such a great franchise. I would calmly offer the thought that it would be folly to lessen the greatness of what we have had, in a effort to justify the future.

I like the part about not judging your fan experience by championships...

Its the winning.....so many wins...largely with the same players....

I dont want to win with a never-ending series of strangers..

Its very satisfying to see 'your guys' win...

I feel the same. Im not 1 of those fans who gives all the credit to Peyton or criticizes Dungy or Polian. Great post :D

I feel the same. Im not 1 of those fans who gives all the credit to Peyton or criticizes Dungy or Polian. Great post :D

Indeed, Peyton is actually my favorite player but he's tied along with Edgerrin James so I guess I have two favorite players of all time. I have so many Edgerrin rookie cards it's ludicrous.

But yeah you definitely have to give credit to other for sure. I admit I have criticized Polian, Dungy and others before but I've still always had the upmost respect for them and sometimes I just let anger get the best of me. In the end I was glad to see a team that they helped build have a wealth of success. Heck I even liked Jim Mora back in the days, Playoffs?!?

Indeed, Peyton is actually my favorite player but he's tied along with Edgerrin James so I guess I have two favorite players of all time. I have so many Edgerrin rookie cards it's ludicrous.

But yeah you definitely have to give credit to other for sure. I admit I have criticized Polian, Dungy and others before but I've still always had the upmost respect for them and sometimes I just let anger get the best of me. In the end I was glad to see a team that they helped build have a wealth of success. Heck I even liked Jim Mora back in the days, Playoffs?!?

Maybe "criticize " wasn't the best word. Some Colts fans hate on Dungy and Polian to no end. I criticized alittle at times to but overall I think they were genius.

+1 for the original post.

It's been an incredible ride and now we begin to assemble another great team to enjoy for many years to come. Who ever thought that when the Colts moved to Indianapolis that they would accomplish what they have over the last dozen years. I don't think anyone would have ever guessed that Indy would host a Super Bowl in the best stadium in the NFL. Sorry, Dallas...yours may be bigger and have that huge video screen, but LOS is at the top of the list!

The Colts have put Indianapolis on the map!!

Maybe "criticize " wasn't the best word. Some Colts fans hate on Dungy and Polian to no end. I criticized alittle at times to but overall I think they were genius.

Agree with the OP and this comment. Some people had unrealistic expectations, that we should have won multiple SBs or that Polian only built the team to win in the regular season.

I always say that you have to get to the post season to win in it (brilliant, right?). So teams like the Cards, both Giants teams, and Packers in 10, definitely were not dominant in the regular season, but they did enough to get into the playoffs. Then it's a matter of getting hot to reach the SB. Colts SB winning team is also in that mix.

There's a writer (and I use that term loosely) over StampedeBlue that used to rag on Polian in every article. I wonder how long before he'll be referring to that run as the golden years.