Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

22 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

one elite o-lineman will not put us in the superbowl, our talent level is too low, but it might put jax there

Very true. Plus, the OL is a sum of all parts. Sometimes, you are as good as your weakest link and if you can upgrade in several places and get them to play well together, the sum of parts might be greater than the individuals. 

I am still optimistic. If week 2 goes by and no OL moves have been made, yes, it would be cause for concern.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

Doesn't Florida have no state tax? That gives Fla teams an advantage in the big dollar signings, doesn't it????

Tax laws are extremely complicated...have you heard of the jock tax? Yes living in a income tax free state will have affect but every city/state that player plays in he has to pay taxes on because they earned that money working in that state. Doing an athletes taxes is extremely complicated...read this article that kind of very simplistically breaks it down. So point being..it’s not as big a factor I think when choosing a team as most would make it out to be. But it is a big reason why most athletes make residency in those low tax states for most of the year though. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/04/18/income-taxes-for-pro-athletes-are-reminder-of-how-complicated-u-s-tax-code/amp/

10 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

How much did Ballard offer him?

Not sure, but there were reports that Norwell had narrowed it down to 3 teams (Colts being 1 of the 3) and then the Jags came out of nowhere. So we know that the Colts offered enough to get his interest.

Not enough, obviously.

5 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Everyone needs to take a breath and see how well the o line

holds up under Reich's offensive system. Play action pass 

and disguised plays may be enough pause and not allow the

defense to pin their ears back and crash the line....oh, and 

getting rid of the ball under 7 seconds will make the line look 

better also.

This.....so MUCH of this....

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Very true. Plus, the OL is a sum of all parts. Sometimes, you are as good as your weakest link and if you can upgrade in several places and get them to play well together, the sum of parts might be greater than the individuals. 

This is why our forum is the best NFL forum on the internet man because we can get deep on the psychological end of things, lay down stats, break down tape, dissect locker room mojo, demonstrate patience, & we have some tremendous comedians on here. 

Wait, how'd I get all that from one post? Alright, just work with me here. Chad is pretty smart & the regulars on here know their stuff. Nuff Said. 

Keep in mind this isn't exactly a loaded FA class. 

The main goal is to draft and develop your talent. I have no problem with Ballard refusing to give good players superstar contracts. Those contracts will hurt when you go down the line and need to pay your stars.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

Keep in mind this isn't exactly a loaded FA class. 

The main goal is to draft and develop your talent. I have no problem with Ballard refusing to give good players superstar contracts. Those contracts will hurt when you go down the line and need to pay your stars.

Yes, but FA is also about hedging your bets for the draft and filling some needs. We aren't the Packers or the Ravens either where we have been receiving Compensatory picks for not signing players. So it's the worst of both worlds in this case. Ballard may have plans for the draft, but none are 100% guaranteed. Anything can and likely will happen. 

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Not sure, but there were reports that Norwell had narrowed it down to 3 teams (Colts being 1 of the 3) and then the Jags came out of nowhere. So we know that the Colts offered enough to get his interest.

Not enough, obviously.

Not necessarily.....   Maybe he just liked the Jags better....   

When healthy and with a quicker tempo offense this line could be at least middle of pack, if not better. Lets not forget Clark excelled in pass pro in a spread offense in college.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Haeg

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski (here's your in-season FA signing)

RT - Good/Clark

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/mark-glowinski?id=2552467

I get people saying this is going to take a while, don’t overspend, be patient. But this is so frustrating! What are we saving all this money for. You guys on this page really think everyone hates Indy. No Ballard is stingy he’s not pulling the trigger on anyone. Day two of the tampering period and we have zero players committed. Free agency is there for a reason

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Offering a different opinion should be widely accepted. I like it when people have a different opinion as long as it’s respectful. Problem is, too many people (here) want to ridicule opposing views and opinions without providing anything but sass.

In the real world, identifying this mentality helps to separate the adults who work at McDonalds from those making real, and meaningful decisions in the workforce. 

In the REAL WORLD most don't belittle those that work at McDonalds , We all put our socks on 1 at a time no one is any better than any one else , 

Do not preach  about RIDICULE  or Question others Mentality while posting this Garbage .

• Superman changed the title to [Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread
24 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

A healthy Andrew Luck is a big deal. If we make a few good moves in free agency, effective new coaching, and a decent draft. Might happen quicker than we think. 

so far this team hasn't improved talent wise a bit and the rest of the division just keeps getting just a fraction at a time better while we stay the course.

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

When healthy and with a quicker tempo offense this line could be at least middle of pack, if not better. Lets not forget Clark excelled in pass pro in a spread offense in college.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Haeg

C - Kelly

RT - Good/Clark

Are you crazy?  You are fine going into yet another season with this line?

Not me.  

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

LT - Castonzo

LG - Haeg

C - Kelly

RT - Good/Clark

Good is better at guard than tackle

12 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

In the REAL WORLD most don't belittle those that work at McDonalds , We all put our socks on 1 at a time no one is any better than any one else , 

Do not preach  about RIDICULE  or Question others Mentality while posting this Garbage .

Nobody chooses to have a career working at McDonalds. Owning a McDonalds.... you’d have my attention there. I am sure the dude who owns the McDonalds closest to my house makes more money than I do. 

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

so far this team hasn't improved talent wise a bit and the rest of the division just keeps getting just a fraction at a time better while we stay the course.

Yep, Titans sign Butler and Lewis.  

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I am not disagreeing. But it’s too early to make that call for the entire offseason. We haven’t spent any of our money or used a single draft pick yet. 

Long ways to go before we can even predict 2018 yet. 

6 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Image result for fail gifs

If PETA gave out medals for falls with panache. that little rascal would take home the gold. Priceless just priceless.

I know; I know. SW1 is going straight to hades. I hope he's okay. I'm not heartless ya know. Ok, I'm done now.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Are you crazy?  You are fine going into yet another season with this line?

Not me.  

Am I crazy, no.....I may suggest you keep the name calling to your friends.....thank you.

Nowhere in there did I say I was fine, however, that line is serviceable with better coaching (OL coach, offensive play calling, QB getting the ball out quicker, unique schemes instead of Gores 3 yard dive plays, etc., etc).

Would Norwell have helped, absolutely.....is not signing him the end of the world, no. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not disagreeing. But it’s too early to make that call for the entire offseason. We haven’t spent any of our money or used a single draft pick yet. 

Long ways to go before we can even predict 2018 yet. 

Haven't you heard? The 2018 season -- no, THE VERY FATE OF THE FRANCHISE FOREVERMORE -- is decided in the 48 hours prior to free agency!!

Aaron-say-relax.jpg

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just merged a handful of these. 

Why?

I never understand that. The last topic on the first page of this forum was updated 4 days ago. It’s not like this board is busy. 

I didnt start any of the threads so it’s not like I have a dog in the fight anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Haven't you heard? The 2018 season -- no, THE VERY FATE OF THE FRANCHISE FOREVERMORE -- is decided in the 48 hours prior to free agency!!

Aaron-say-relax.jpg

It’s funny that you quoted Rodgers. I was actually thinking about him saying that when I wrote my response. :D 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Why?

I never understand that. The last topic on the first page of this forum was updated 4 days ago. It’s not like this board is busy. 

I didnt start any if the threads so it’s not like I have a dog in the fight anyway. 

Because not every random thought that someone comes up with is thread worthy, especially when that same thought (or ones close to it) is already being discussed in several other threads.

Just now, Superman said:

Because not every random thought that someone comes up with is thread worthy, especially when that same thought (or ones close to it) is already being discussed in several other threads.

I kind of see that. But think it’s used way too much. Pretty soon we are going to have a thread for the draft, another for free agency, and maybe one for the entire preseason. 

Go look at the front page. The last thread on page 1 was updated 4 days ago. Wow! It’s not like there is a ton of clutter here. 

Just my thoughts. Not my decision to make though. I have just never been a big fan of merging threads unless they’re the same title. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Am I crazy, no.....I may suggest you keep the name calling to your friends.....thank you.

Nowhere in there did I say I was fine, however, that line is serviceable with better coaching (OL coach, offensive play calling, QB getting the ball out quicker, unique schemes instead of Gores 3 yard dive plays, etc., etc).

Would Norwell have helped, absolutely.....is not signing him the end of the world, no. 

What name calling.   I just asked a question.   With the horrible O-line we have had the past few years, to even suggest that they could be middle of the pack without changes is crazy.  

NOrwell would have been nice, but they can sign others, which they need to do.  The O-line is still the biggest need for the Colts.   

Just now, BlueShoe said:

I kind of see that. But think it’s used way too much. Pretty soon we are going to have a thread for the draft, another for free agency, and maybe one for the entire preseason. 

Go look at the front page. The last thread on page 1 was updated 4 days ago. Wow! It’s not like there is a ton of clutter here. 

Just my thoughts. Not my decision to make though. I have just never been a big fan of merging threads unless they’re the same title. 

It's not about clutter in this case. It's about not starting a new thread just to say 'man, this sucks, how come Ballard isn't signing anyone?' when we already have a half dozen of those threads already.

33 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I disagree with the bolded. The U.S. is mostly still a capitalism country where everyone isn't equal. The people who work hard, go to college, and make something out of their life are better than others who are high school dropouts and work at McDonalds. I have a lot more respect for a doctor than I do a McDonalds worker. They offer a much more valuable service, and they worked much harder to get there as well as make more money. They are a much more valuable person to society.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I disagree with the bolded. The U.S. is mostly still a capitalism country where everyone isn't equal. The people who work hard, go to college, and make something out of their life are better than others who are high school dropouts and work at McDonalds. I have a lot more respect for a doctor than I do a McDonalds worker. They offer a much more valuable service, and they worked much harder to get there as well as make more money. They are a much more valuable person to society.

Good points.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not about clutter in this case. It's about not starting a new thread just to say 'man, this sucks, how come Ballard isn't signing anyone?' when we already have a half dozen of those threads already.

I do get it on some level. Those kinds of threads might bother some people. They don't bother me though.

I don’t care if we have a please sign this player for every free agent on the market. 

I never saw saw a problem with it.