[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

When you have to pay him more than the highest paid LT it's not worth it

It's a tough one IMO. So much extra cap money floating around now that you have to way overpay for the best. Question is where do you draw the line. 

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

It's a tough one IMO. So much extra cap money floating around now that you have to way overpay for the best. Question is where do you draw the line. 

You can't let need dictate where you allocate money even if like us we have a lot of extra cap space. Its like when you go to the grocery store and look at the price per ounce but its price per skill. Overpaying is never worth it just because it takes away talent from other areas, and when it comes to Norwell he isn't going to stop an elite pass rusher because they are mostly attacking off the edge

3 hours ago, Shive said:

The Jags are all in on winning now, building a strong team through FA, but they're only buying a short window. At this rate, they may have 2 years or so, then will be back in the basement with old, under-producing players they're stuck with on high prices contracts, unable to splurge on FA or resign the players they drafted.

Ballard has a plan and is methodical. He's trying to build a sustainable franchise that will be able to stay at a high level year after year.

We all blasted Grigs for going all in and overpaying average talent in an attempt to win now. As much as we would like to take advantage of Luck's prime years, it would be foolish to go all in again just to be back in this spot rebuilding the roster in a few years.

The foundation isn't the prettiest part of a house, but without a strong one, the rest won't last.

I doubt that their window is short.  Jax has drafted well for years.  Their defense is stocked with young, drafted talent.  Now they are augmenting good drafting with some key free agent acquisitions.  They are way ahead of the Colts at this point.  At the rate we are going, it will be years before the Colts catch up with those guys.  Jacksonville looks primed to run the AFC South for awhile.

While this is not the end of the season, I can understand the disappointment.   Not only did we not get Norwell, he went to a division rival.  

The Colts still have to fix the O-line.   Luck will not survive 6 games behind what we currently have.   The running game will not be good either.  

One another subject, I wouldn't mind if the Colts went after Jordy Nelson.  

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I doubt that their window is short.  Jax has drafted well for years.  Their defense is stocked with young, drafted talent.  Now they are augmenting good drafting with some key free agent acquisitions.  They are way ahead of the Colts at this point.  At the rate we are going, it will be years before the Colts catch up with those guys.  Jacksonville looks primed to run the AFC South for awhile.

I agree.   They don't seem to be close to what the Broncos are.   The Jags are stacked for the long haul.   Heck, Norwell is only 26.   They are not signing old guys.

Looks like Moncrief will sign with the Jags too.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I mean, there's like 9 good OL hitting free agency. As far as I know, only two are 'off the market' so far. I knew we weren't getting Norwell two weeks ago, I just thought he'd go to the Giants.

Plan B, then Plan C, then Plan D. Either way, I'm betting Ballard signs two starting caliber OL within the next week. 

I would have done $14m/year for Norwell, though.

I hope you're right Superman.  Hopefully they are also decent and not just starting caliber.  We need to augment our young offensive line with some proven vets. 

People who keep saying free agency hasn't even started yet are cracking me up.  Look...teams all over the place are signing guys left and right...they just can't make it official until the Wed 4 p.m. start time.   But the free agency period is on and popping and Ballard is looking like he won't be too active early on.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I'd honestly like to know,

a few months ago... How many posters ever even heard of Andrew Norwell?

I wish I could like this comment twice. Such a great point.

I hold my hands up to be one of those who knew nothing about him.

3 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Anytime you can find a way to get Emma Watson in a thread you are doing something right!

Uh huh. Emma's come a long way from her Harry Potter franchise days. She's a pretty good actress too. I saw her in "The Circle" recently & she basically held her own with Tom Hanks. 

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Image result for fail gifs

If I laugh hysterically at that meme, does that mean I favor animal cruelty? Just joking! Great post OPC! 

Who knew a puppy who can't reach the top of the stairs was reminiscent of Sisyphus in Greek Mythology man. 

This board is flooded with activity. Let’s just make fun of everyone who posts a thread. 

To answer the original poster....

I think most of us are in a wait and see mode. Free agency period (now) seems a lot more like it did when Polian was running the show. The difference is, we do have money to spend and that is not something Polian was afforded after we started winning and paying our own players to stay. 

Just because it appears quiet in the Colts front office, doesn’t mean it actually is. 

Maybe.... and I say this mostly in jest, we are planning to sign 20 of the 3 million a year type players. If so then that would be the next wave of free agents. 

19 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

This board is flooded with activity. Let’s just make fun of everyone who posts a thread. 

To answer the original poster....

I think most of us are in a wait and see mode. Free agency period (now) seems a lot more like it did when Polian was running the show. The difference is, we do have money to spend and that is not something Polian was afforded after we started winning and paying our own players to stay. 

Just because it appears quiet in the Colts front office, doesn’t mean it actually is. 

Maybe.... and I say this mostly in jest, we are planning to sign 20 of the 3 million a year type players. If so then that would be the next wave of free agents. 

Also guys that probably are average at best.

2 hours ago, Tunggreat said:

I hope this is the case. This team has so many holes that it will take a collective effort from free agency and the draft to fix. 

The Colts were by no means a one year fix! This team is so void of talent, that it will take a couple seasons to fix. IMO this is a weak FA class and Ballard is not jumping the gun with silly contracts. I’m in agreement build through the draft. Find those Tier 2-3 FAs to sign at reasonable contracts. Patience!

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I've been a member of this community for nearly six years.....

And it's this way every year.    Every year.

People panic early and never stop.   They get hysterical.    Nothing changes.

Pretty wild, eh? :D

I don’t mind people bringing up every possible free agent though. That’s what this place is supposed to be about. Fans offering their thoughts and opinions about the Colts.

I get very annoyed when people’s allowed communication gets trampled on. 

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Also guys that probably are average at best.

Possibly, but that’s not where I was going. 

I think it’s possible that Ballard is biding his time (a few drafts), trying to find some diamonds in the rough of free agency. I have no problem with him signing a bunch of perceived second or third tier players. 

4 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

So its open communication to whine about the lack of FA moves before FA even starts, but, annoying to complain or find humor within that over reaction???

Makes sense

I think you know the difference. Funny that you see it that way though. Well.... not really funny. It’s not even actually what I was getting at. 

9 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

So its open communication to whine about the lack of FA moves before FA even starts, but, annoying to complain or find humor within that over reaction???

Makes sense

I know. It's our given right as a member to have an opinion. Just don't dare have an opinion about my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is actually a pretty weak FA class, as noted by the rather bland players who have been signed already.  Kinda gotta go out of your way to make a splash, and some teams have.

I think you’re possibly correct. 

Personally I would rather buy 3 guards at 3 million each per year than 1 guard at 9 million.

I think the numbers make better sense. I like Ballard’s approach to free agency.