Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

1 minute ago, corgi said:

It’s also insane to get worked up about football, and it’s even more insane to get upset about trivial things you can’t control. 

I'm not upset in the least.

Actually just amused at the amount of Ballard lovers there are that defend his moves.  So far the guy has not impressed me in the least.  Although if you ask him, he and his black book are the smartest kids in school.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Actually just amused at the amount of Ballard lovers there are that defend his moves.  So far the guy has not impressed me in the least.  Although if you ask him, he and his black book are the smartest kids in school.

In regards to FA, I’m Switzerland. He hasn’t done much (that we know of), but he also hasn’t done anything bad. I do think he’ll get some good players signed soon, but I don’t think the board will love it. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Maybe Ballard is making offers that resemble what these players are taking, but they are just choosing other teams that for sure know they have a QB? Who knows what’s really going on. 

Maybe.

But I have seen enough from him the past year and a half, from last years draft and FA signings to Tolzein to keeping Chuck last year to McDaniels to see there is a very definite pattern of "not good" going on here.

24 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I’ll admit Ballard hasn’t blown me away with his job so far but I understand what he keeps telling people he’s going to do.  People, maybe not you, are upset because he’s doing exactly what he said he would do.  

That doesnt mean it will Work out in the end.  It could, it did for Polian who Ballard seems to have a lot of respect for, but it might not.  If it doesn’t people are going to want to run him out of town just like they did Grigson.  Personally, I am not going to get mad at Ballard for doing exactly what he said he would do though.  It’s a strategy and time will tell if it was right or not. 

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Maybe Ballard is making offers that resemble what these players are taking, but they are just choosing other teams that for sure know they have a QB? Who knows what’s really going on. 

I pointed this out with the lineman that picked the Jags. There were reports the Colts were in his final three so I am guessing the Colts offer was close to what the Jags offered him.  In the end I think he probably picked a team that was one game away from the Super Bowl over a team that is rebuilding and starting over with a new coach.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Bottom line is they aren't overpaid man..That is new going rate..Salary cap goes up, salaries increase, so really you have same restrictions. Nature of the beast..

That's part of the problem. Of course the main problem is the colts are not in win now mode. Why pay when you will lose anyway.

But the salaries are escalating and maybe cb is still thinking in yesteryears world of salaries. He's not thinking in 2018 nfl. He's stuck in years past mentality of what a player should be payed.

Plus he's a tightwad. haha

There are still quality players available.

DE Vinny Curry and WR Jordan Matthews are possibilities with the connection to Frank Reich from their time together in Philadelphia. Terrelle Pryor is another WR who could be had for a cheap 1 year, prove it deal. We'll see what happens with the Ryan Grant visit. Signing Curry, and any of Matthews, Pryor and Grant...I like that

The OL market is drying up. OT Cam Flemming from New England is still unsigned, last I saw. Could be, at least, a good depth signing. And we'll see if they do end up re-signing Mewhort.. I think they go OL early in the draft, especially, if they trade back from 3.

I don't think Ndamukong Suh is coming to the Colts. Someone will give him a bigger deal than I assume the Colts will offer. Maybe they kick the tires on CB Bashaud Breeland? CB EJ Gaines is still out there.

Personally, I think the Colts are gearing up for a draft trade, likely with the Bills, and will receive a good amount of picks. I also believe we will start to see the Colts start signing some free agents over the weekend now that the first few days of bigger spenders has mostly passed.

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Not saying you did I'm saying if Ballard thinks we have better players than what's currently on the open market he has another thing coming.

Yeah, shockingly that is not close to what he believes.

Dear God...

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Here is all I can say at this point.  

After watching Ballard perform now, from last years draft and FA signings to the Tolzien fiasco to the McDaniels blunder to this years FA signings...

Ballard is in way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  over his head.

It is literally like he is so afraid of doing anything because he is afraid to make another mistake that he has become a comatose man.

That is no way to run an NFL franchise.

That is one giant leap from him handling free agency EXACTLY in the manner he said he would to being in over his head.  

Far more likely??  He is sticking to schedule and not overpaying so he is not spending big coin on marginal talent.

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

According to Albert Breer ,  in this years FA  Solder became the highest paid OT at 15.5m, Norwell the highest paid G at 13.3, and Jensen the highest paid C at 10.5.   The big question now is whether Ballard is prepared to pay Pugh in the 10m area and Fleming close to that?   At least now he knows he's not overpaying!    PS. It still ticks me off we didn't trade for Miami's RT James and his 9.5m salary when they were desperate in moving him.  That looks pretty cheap now.   They cut Suh and a few others and that ship has apparently sailed. 

To the bolded - that is said without understanding what Ballard values which is draft picks.

First of all, do we really know if James was on the market?  Maybe, maybe not.

Secondly, even if he was, how cheap is it really if he only has a year or two left on his contract?  They then have to pay him a much higher 2nd contract much sooner than they would have for the draft pick they gave up to get him.  Or they let him walk altogether.  Neither scenario is ideal for Indy. 

I'll admit that I've been very patient and supported Ballard and continue to do so. But I'd be lying if I said how he's done so far in FA isn't concerning. Not because he's not landing big name players, but he's having trouble landing 2nd tier players. For what reason, we won't ever know but it is concerning 

Grigson spend a lot of money on average and aging free agents. Ballard obviously isn't spending much in free agency. So far Colts only got bigger holes in their roster and I doubt you can fill them only with draft picks. In my opinion the smartest strategy is a mix of both. Making smart deals in free agency and if you can get a quality player at a position of huge need you can afford to overpay once a year. And the rest get from the draft!

When it looks like everyone is overpaid that means no one is overpaid and they're getting fair market value.  

Good players are expensive outside of rookie contracts. That's the NFL.    

Embarrassing that the Colts refuse to open the checkbook. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That is one giant leap from him handling free agency EXACTLY in the manner he said he would to being in over his head.  

Far more likely??  He is sticking to schedule and not overpaying so he is not spending big coin on marginal talent.

So we have to have below par players then?

It's perplexing to me that the Colts refuse to spend money to protect their highest paid player.  

Every other team does it. 

IMO it seems like the Colts aren't even trying to protect AL12.  

Spend money in the trenches. Draft specialty players.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

To the bolded - that is said without understanding what Ballard values which is draft picks.

First of all, do we really know if James was on the market?  Maybe, maybe not.

Secondly, even if he was, how cheap is it really if he only has a year or two left on his contract?  They then have to pay him a much higher 2nd contract much sooner than they would have for the draft pick they gave up to get him.  Or they let him walk altogether.  Neither scenario is ideal for Indy. 

You certainly have to be kidding.  It was everywhere that they were trying to move him because they were in cap hell. His contract was his 5th. year option fully guaranteed when the new year started. So in effect it was a one year contract that could have been reworked even right now if they choose.   If a no1. draft choice is working out and you extend his option it's pretty obvious he's going to get a second big contract or be franchised.  You pay a young proven starting RT 9.5m for one year and then resign him.  Are you paying attention to what these OL are signing for right in FA?  Jensen 10.5, Norwell 13.3, Solder 15.5.  And Pugh last night at 9.  All proven NFL stars or starters.  And you would rather have a draft pick ,and not a high one at that ,to see if he works out as well as Clark or Banner.  I hate to be the first to tell you but you want to resign your own draft picks if they turn out as you expected.  That's the plan.  To get a player like James for a mid round pick is a steal.   I'm sure Ballard realizes it now.  Unbelievable!

3 hours ago, sracolts84 said:

There are still quality players available.

DE Vinny Curry and WR Jordan Matthews are possibilities with the connection to Frank Reich from their time together in Philadelphia. Terrelle Pryor is another WR who could be had for a cheap 1 year, prove it deal. We'll see what happens with the Ryan Grant visit. Signing Curry, and any of Matthews, Pryor and Grant...I like that

The OL market is drying up. OT Cam Flemming from New England is still unsigned, last I saw. Could be, at least, a good depth signing. And we'll see if they do end up re-signing Mewhort.. I think they go OL early in the draft, especially, if they trade back from 3.

I don't think Ndamukong Suh is coming to the Colts. Someone will give him a bigger deal than I assume the Colts will offer. Maybe they kick the tires on CB Bashaud Breeland? CB EJ Gaines is still out there.

Personally, I think the Colts are gearing up for a draft trade, likely with the Bills, and will receive a good amount of picks. I also believe we will start to see the Colts start signing some free agents over the weekend now that the first few days of bigger spenders has mostly passed.

No doubt we'll get some good players but he's moving was too slow.  Screwing up like he did with the OL is inexcusable.  Luck s in big danger right now. I'm sure Mewhort is back now and he better hustle if he wants Fleming.  We are definitely trading back and probably with Buffalo.  He better do it after he signs his FA class or maybe sooner before another team trades with Buffalo and jumps us. like the Giants and Browns.  They have real GM's too.  

I agree, I too am perplexed by the lack of signings thus far. I am willing to be patient but I would like to see at least 3 or 4 quality free agents brought in. I anticipate Ballard signing some over the weekend. As for the draft, I see Cleveland and the Giants staying at their respective spots. Cleveland is at the point where they are done acquiring assets and need to get players. They will take Saquon or aQB. And the Giants, if they don't take a QB, will likely take Barkely if Cleveland passes on him or Bradley Chubb since they are transitioning to a 3-4 defense. So I think the Colts' #3 pick is the highest any team will be able to trade up to.

1 hour ago, austriancolt said:

Grigson spend a lot of money on average and aging free agents. Ballard obviously isn't spending much in free agency. So far Colts only got bigger holes in their roster and I doubt you can fill them only with draft picks. In my opinion the smartest strategy is a mix of both. Making smart deals in free agency and if you can get a quality player at a position of huge need you can afford to overpay once a year. And the rest get from the draft!

So how are we getting better with this strategy???

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

When it looks like everyone is overpaid that means no one is overpaid and they're getting fair market value.  

Good players are expensive outside of rookie contracts. That's the NFL.    

Embarrassing that the Colts refuse to open the checkbook. 

Exactly!!! They are being paid market value! That's what these Ballard apologists don't seem to understand...We are now the cheapest team in the NFL and if you don't think players and agents don't notice you are fooling yourself...We are looking real bad, and it's embarrassing..

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

You certainly have to be kidding.  It was everywhere that they were trying to move him because they were in cap hell. His contract was his 5th. year option fully guaranteed when the new year started. So in effect it was a one year contract that could have been reworked even right now if they choose.   If a no1. draft choice is working out and you extend his option it's pretty obvious he's going to get a second big contract or be franchised.  You pay a young proven starting RT 9.5m for one year and then resign him.  Are you paying attention to what these OL are signing for right in FA?  Jensen 10.5, Norwell 13.3, Solder 15.5.  And Pugh last night at 9.  All proven NFL stars or starters.  And you would rather have a draft pick ,and not a high one at that ,to see if he works out as well as Clark or Banner.  I hate to be the first to tell you but you want to resign your own draft picks if they turn out as you expected.  That's the plan.  To get a player like James for a mid round pick is a steal.   I'm sure Ballard realizes it now.  Unbelievable!

Nope.  Not even close to kidding.  

And have been proven correct yet again with the trade today.  The Colts want draft picks who they use to build the roster.  They don't don't want to give up draft picks for a player they will have to pay big money to in a year's time.  They get younger, they are in a favorable financial position and can pick the guys they want to build the culture, locker room and team.  

If you pay attention the answers are available to you.  Ballard VALUES draft picks.  How many times does he have to say he wants to stack drafts.  You don't do that by trading a commodity like a pick for a guy 1) you will have to pay big coin to in a year and 2) may not like all that much anyway.  

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Exactly!!! They are being paid market value! That's what these Ballard apologists don't seem to understand...We are now the cheapest team in the NFL and if you don't think players and agents don't notice you are fooling yourself...We are looking real bad, and it's embarrassing..

none of the guys i was looking at were over paid

talking about norwell, hitchens and melvin.  would have been fine giving each of them more than they got

Just now, jskinnz said:

And have been proven correct yet again with the trade today.  The Colts want draft picks who they use to build the roster.  They don't don't want to give up draft picks for a player they will have to pay big money to in a year's time.  They get younger, they are in a favorable financial position and can pick the guys they want to build the culture, locker room and team.  

If you pay attention the answers are available to you.  Ballard VALUES draft picks.  How many times does he have to say he wants to stack drafts.  You don't do that by trading a commodity like a pick for a guy 1) you will have to pay big coin to in a year and 2) may not like all that much anyway.  

we better hope luck has another 10 years left in him because that strategy is going to take a while

you may not see it this way, but i think we are in real danger of being bad for the next few years, then luck retires at age 35 or so

Just now, aaron11 said:

we better hope luck has another 10 years left in him because that strategy is going to take a while

you may not see it this way, but i think we are in real danger of being bad for the next few years, then luck retires at age 35 or so

No, I don't see it that way.

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i do, i dont think he plays until hes 40

not just anyone can do that, and hes been banged up a ton 

I've seen the impact that a franchise level QB can have on a team.  The evidence is all throughout the league.

I've seen what Luck can do with a roster that really was not very good in first 3 years.

I am not convinced that the teams who have "won" free agency really did.  Nor am I convinced the teams that "lost" free agency really did either.  

I am by no means a homer - you just have to take my word on that - so this is not me seeing the world through Horseshoe glasses.  But I will go to games this year believing that the Colts will be a better, more competitive team this year.  And maybe I and the rest of us truly get surprised by December.  

46 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You're point is a small one.  I have been pushing today's trade for quite some time now.  Even today a few times on this site before it was announced and I said do it now.  Don't wait.  I said do it next week or asap.  I thought it would be Buffalo but again we might not be done anyway.   Getting picks is what Ballard wants and he got some good ones today.  But besides drafting unproven talent, of course you know the draft is a crapshoot, you could also trade a pick for a proven young player that could immediately fill a major need.  As of now we have 3 no. 2's.  Not saying it's going to happen but it worked out well when we picked up Vontae Davis for a second.   And we do have many needs and money that could be used with a young quality starter, say in our worst position group the OL.  Last I looked we haven't added anyone to try and keep Luck off IR again.   I am thrilled about our picks and if we stand pat at 6 we might get lucky and get Nelson.  Regardless it's a great trade and he now has more resources to use in any number of ways.  Heaven forbid we trade for a young starting player.