coltsfeva

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That is not even close to being determined yet.

1) By the end of this week, the Colts roster will be better than it is today.

2) How often does the winner of free agency actually translate to the field come the Fall?  

Here you go, being logical...

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

The Patriots always do well in any year.  Last year was the first year that I recall they were heavy spenders.  Not sure they help your point.

The Eagles brought in a bunch of middle of the road, lower cost free agents - Blount, Long, etc.  Their big splash signings were limited.

If you want to make the case you are trying to make, i would go with Jacksonville of the last few years.   A far better example.

I would expect the Colts to make several signings but later in the week after the market and stupid money has died down.  I appreciate Ballard's fiscal restraint to not get involved in paying great money for just good players. Free agency is a way to supplement your roster - not as the primary means to build it.

and yet again trying to help.....

53 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

Finally, this is all there is left to say. 

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No Way. 

I heard Ballard shops at Walmart regularly and has adopted their hiring pay structure. And Walmart Don't pay no $15 a hour.

I hear the Colts are switching jerseys to those Colts jersey-shirts that you see at Wal-Mart.  Joking...

The Colts are the sleepy bear in winter as other teams ramp up what they need for their team. Yes, players are being overpaid at an outrageous amount but an OL like Cromwell would have done wonders. Perhaps to get Nelson in the draft?

1 hour ago, Luca_Colts said:

Jaguars last year. But if we can get decent players at the positions we need for the right price that would make us competitive. Luck went to the AFC finals without a team. If we get a better roster we will definetly be competitive.

True, but they also picked in the top 10 of the draft for the past 10 years and top 5 for 6 of those years

I realize Ballard followed a proven buffoon and by comparison may appear to be a genius. But I don’t seen many reasons to assume Ballard is any more competent. Luck’s situation looks even more iffy than it did this time a year ago. The roster is terrible. And yet most people here assume Ballard won’t — and shouldn’t — consider a qb as a high draft choice and won’t — and shouldn’t — spend the Colts’ massive cap room on top free agents. 

I can can only assume many of the fans on this board — and Ballard — are shooting for  very minimal improvement in 2018 and another high draft choice a year from now.

I have gone back and forth in my head on this, as I really wanted Norwell and, to a lesser extent, Robinson but here is where I stand...

At the moment, we are not a good team, and we are not going anywhere near the Superbowl any time soon (might sneak in the playoffs if Andrew plays like Andrew).  Therefore, adding guys in their late 20's on overpaid contracts will do little to benefit us in the grand scheme of things. 

Therefore, at the moment, we are best to try and stack drafts using the capital we have and sign value free agents to either use and get rid of, or try and find guys we really like and sign them to longer deals.

So, the position in two or three years is that we have a young and talented roster that is "home-grown" and at that point, we look to free agency to add some final pieces of quality to make us a contender.  In the meantime the money can be used to reward our own (similar to what Ballard did last off-season with Doyle) and bring in quality, value players (like Ballard did last off-season with Sheard, Simon and Woods).

I would caveat this by saying that we lose some more of Andrew Luck's prime, but it is to get to 2020 with a real chance of being something special.  We also need some of those "value players" to hit the ground running on the O-line.

7 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I have gone back and forth in my head on this, as I really wanted Norwell and, to a lesser extent, Robinson but here is where I stand...

At the moment, we are not a good team, and we are not going anywhere near the Superbowl any time soon (might sneak in the playoffs if Andrew plays like Andrew).  Therefore, adding guys in their late 20's on overpaid contracts will do little to benefit us in the grand scheme of things. 

Therefore, at the moment, we are best to try and stack drafts using the capital we have and sign value free agents to either use and get rid of, or try and find guys we really like and sign them to longer deals.

So, the position in two or three years is that we have a young and talented roster that is "home-grown" and at that point, we look to free agency to add some final pieces of quality to make us a contender.  In the meantime the money can be used to reward our own (similar to what Ballard did last off-season with Doyle) and bring in quality, value players (like Ballard did last off-season with Sheard, Simon and Woods).

I would caveat this by saying that we lose some more of Andrew Luck's prime, but it is to get to 2020 with a real chance of being something special.  We also need some of those "value players" to hit the ground running on the O-line.

Only someone who has a picture of Ballard attached to his posts would see wisdom in settling for two more years of misery without making any real efforts to significantly improve. Added to the previous three years of garbage, I guess we are on a five year plan. Sadly, you may be right.

3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I understand your point, but let's look at this with the small sample we have. Here is Ballard's first draft:

Round 1 - Malik Hooker. A good guy to build around. Can be here for the long term.

Round 2 - Quincy Wilson - Looks promising but not sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

Round 3 - Basham - I don't see him sticking past his rookie contract.

Round 4 - Banner - Gone.

Round 4 - Mack - I see a future in Indy, but here we are still looking for a RB to pair with him.

Round 5 - G. Steward - I don't see him lasting past his rookie contract.

Round 5 - N. Hairston - Good rookie. Someone to help with the rebuild.

Round 6 - Walker Jr. - has potential, but currently a back up and here we are looking for a off-ball LB. Need has not been met.

We can only build through the draft if we pick guys that we can build around. Looking at Ballard's draft, taking this approach will take far too long.

For some reason I think many here see Ballard as this calm, collected savant of a GM.  And he may turn out to be that...but as of now there is nothing, NOTHING to indicate that's who he is.

What has he done that is so great?

Signed some middle of the road FA's last year that some turned out ok on, some didn't.  Nothing outstanding.

His first draft?  Mediocre at best.  At best.  Nothing outstanding.

He went into the season advocating Scott Tolzein as the starting QB.  Scott freaking Tolzein.  IF that is not an indicator of how he fails to evaluate talent, I don't know what does.  And it wasn't even close.  He was the starting Qb from spring practice on and it did not matter how well anyone else did in training camp.  That is not good GMing.

He bungled the McDaniels hire all to hell.  Not even bungled.  He absolutely destroyed it.

Besides that?  What?  He traded a 3 string qb for a started TE.  But from what I understand, it was the Pats who initiated talks for that. Not Ballard.

He failed to sign any real difference makers last year other than I guess Hankins.  Who is good.  This year already we are missing out on the top talent.  You add in Robinson and Norwell to this lineup and all of a sudden, when adding in the draft, a healthy Luck, and the rest of the FA signings?  That is something to get excited about.  But obviously Ballard has no intention of gambling whatsoever.

13 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Only someone who has a picture of Ballard attached to his posts would see wisdom in settling for two more years of misery without making any real efforts to significantly improve. Added to the previous three years of garbage, I guess we are on a five year plan. Sadly, you may be right.

Not sure my post pointed to "settling for two more years of misery".  Its more a case of playing the long game.  We have seen all too well what you get when you chase in free agency.

The point is that, bringing in overpriced free agents at the moment may get us into the playoffs but we don't have the depth to make a real charge.  Building the depth first and then adding the specific quality players is a more sensible way to go.

The other point is that we are making a significant change to our defensive scheme next year and so this will take time to integrate and so yet another reason we are not in "win now" mode, which needs big FA acquisitions.

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I understand your point, but let's look at this with the small sample we have. Here is Ballard's first draft:

Round 1 - Malik Hooker. A good guy to build around. Can be here for the long term.

Round 2 - Quincy Wilson - Looks promising but not sure yet. We'll have to wait and see.

Round 3 - Basham - I don't see him sticking past his rookie contract.

Round 4 - Banner - Gone.

Round 4 - Mack - I see a future in Indy, but here we are still looking for a RB to pair with him.

Round 5 - G. Steward - I don't see him lasting past his rookie contract.

Round 5 - N. Hairston - Good rookie. Someone to help with the rebuild.

Round 6 - Walker Jr. - has potential, but currently a back up and here we are looking for a off-ball LB. Need has not been met.

We can only build through the draft if we pick guys that we can build around. Looking at Ballard's draft, taking this approach will take far too long.

I don't think its fair to give final assessments on a lot of these guys, you often see the real player in year two once they get more comfortable.  I thought the draft class has promise and will be interesting to see how a lot of these guys fit with the new scheme and coaching.

The combination of a new coaching staff and getting into their second year means I will hold off judgement until next year.

1 minute ago, DaveA1102 said:

I don't think its fair to give final assessments on a lot of these guys, you often see the real player in year two once they get more comfortable.  I thought the draft class has promise and will be interesting to see how a lot of these guys fit with the new scheme and coaching.

The combination of a new coaching staff and getting into their second year means I will hold off judgement until next year.

Agreed, but I'm not giving a final assessment. This is just a current assessment.

13 minutes ago, threeflight said:

For some reason I think many here see Ballard as this calm, collected savant of a GM.  And he may turn out to be that...but as of now there is nothing, NOTHING to indicate that's who he is.

What has he done that is so great?

Signed some middle of the road FA's last year that some turned out ok on, some didn't.  Nothing outstanding.

His first draft?  Mediocre at best.  At best.  Nothing outstanding.

He went into the season advocating Scott Tolzein as the starting QB.  Scott freaking Tolzein.  IF that is not an indicator of how he fails to evaluate talent, I don't know what does.  And it wasn't even close.  He was the starting Qb from spring practice on and it did not matter how well anyone else did in training camp.  That is not good GMing.

He bungled the McDaniels hire all to hell.  Not even bungled.  He absolutely destroyed it.

Besides that?  What?  He traded a 3 string qb for a started TE.  But from what I understand, it was the Pats who initiated talks for that. Not Ballard.

He failed to sign any real difference makers last year other than I guess Hankins.  Who is good.  This year already we are missing out on the top talent.  You add in Robinson Norwell and to this lineup and all of a sudden, when adding in the draft, a healthy Luck, and the rest of the FA signings?  That is something to get excited about.  But obviously Ballard has no intention of gambling whatsoever.

It is not "All hail" for me yet. Ballard did bungle/misread the McDaniels hire. He also misread the talent of the young offensive linemen left over from Grigson. Banner was a clear whiff. I have more concerns than most wrt Quincy Wilson's healthy inactive string. Much is unknown about that. Stewart and Walker Jr are question marks IMHO. Basham too. Grigson had a better first draft.

I have low expectations in general with both FA and the Colts organization.  I personally still think it’s going to take a couple years to get back in the mix.  

With a healthy Luck you never know though.  Team doesn’t really seem like they’re in a rush to win now.  They will take their time.  

10 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

It is not "All hail" for me yet. Ballard did bungle/misread the McDaniels hire. He also misread the talent of the young offensive linemen left over from Grigson. Banner was a clear whiff. I have more concerns than most wrt Quincy Wilson's healthy inactive string. Much is unknown about that. Stewart and Walker Jr are question marks IMHO. Basham too. Grigson had a better first draft.

Your dumb if you say that grigson had a better draft lol but ballard had a better draft he draft 3 to 4 starters every person Quincy was sticking held them to less then 50 yards when he was on them and Anthony Walker Jr is a potential starter and Malik Hooker is a ball hawk safety we got a starting nickle DB out of the 5th round that had a good year and marlon mack just needs to develop same for the others

16 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Grigsons first draft was outstanding.  Just awesome.

3 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Your dumb if you say that grigson had a better draft lol but ballard had a better draft he draft 3 to 4 starters every person Quincy was sticking held them to less then 50 yards when he was on them and Anthony Walker Jr is a potential starter and Malik Hooker is a ball hawk safety we got a starting nickle DB out of the 5th round that had a good year and marlon mack just needs to develop same for the others

It's awesome how you call other people dumb, but your post is littered with grammatical errors. Anyways, carry on.

12 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I have low expectations in general with both FA and the Colts organization.  I personally still think it’s going to take a couple years to get back in the mix.  

With a healthy Luck you never know though.  Team doesn’t really seem like they’re in a rush to win now.  They will take their time.  

Which is insane considering Luck is approaching middle age for an NFL qb and he has an injury history to boot now.

Look, I'm not saying you spend money willy nilly like what was spent on Watkins, but the contracts for Robinson, Norwell, and the LB from Dallas were not THAT out of the ordinary considering the salary cap and the money the Colts have to spend.  Imagine those 3 on the Colts.  How much better are we?  I think a lot.

But it was obvious from Ballads statements the past few weeks that those signings were never going to happen.  Sure we were mentioned, but only because we had cap space and because I am sure for the fan base, Ballard wants to put word out that we were "players".  But we were never serious.  Because if we were, we could have beaten those other offers.

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Which is insane considering Luck is approaching middle age for an NFL qb and he has an injury history to boot now.

Look, I'm not saying you spend money willy nilly like what was spent on Watkins, but the contracts for Robinson, Norwell, and the LB from Dallas were not THAT out of the ordinary considering the salary cap and the money the Colts have to spend.  Imagine those 3 on the Colts.  How much better are we?  I think a lot.

But it was obvious from Ballads statements the past few weeks that those signings were never going to happen.  Sure we were mentioned, but only because we had cap space and because I am sure for the fan base, Ballard wants to put word out that we were "players".  But we were never serious.  Because if we were, we could have beaten those other offers.

We really wouldn't be all that better by outspending money and nobody hasn't even signed yet we still have chances to sign good FA cuz visits and you can sign FA start at 4pm EST on wensday

4 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

This isnt grammer problems just cuz i didnt put periods this isnt english class

*These aren't grammar problems just because I didn't put periods.  This isn't English class.

Fixed it.  Guess you need a spelling class too. :lol::sarcasm::hide:

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

can you prove that we DID NOT beat those offers?  What if we were the high bidders but the player wants to go to a team he sees as a better team? or a better fit for himself?

1 minute ago, Indy1996 said:

We really wouldn't be all that better by outspending money and nobody hasn't even signed yet we still have chances to sign good FA cuz visits and you can sign FA start at 4pm EST on wensday

All of those contracts were not too extreme imo considering the money we have, the salary cap and the amount it will rise the next few years, and the quality of player you are getting.

IMO Ballard blew it big time with these 3.  Big.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

*These aren't grammar problems just because I didn't put periods.  This isn't English class.

Fixed it.  Guess you need a spelling class too. :lol::sarcasm::hide:

Nothing wrong with my spelling besides forgot to put a exclamation point on my isn't so dont start %

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

can you prove that we DID NOT beat those offers?  What if we were the high bidders but the player wants to go to a team he sees as a better team? or a better fit for himself?

I think it is safe to say, considering he did not sign any big names last year and that he said he would not be going balls out this year, that he did not make any offers above and beyond what we have seen.

That is his M.O.  He is a cocky guy.  A guy who thinks he can outsmart everyone.  Let's see.

Just now, threeflight said:

All of those contracts were not too extreme imo considering the money we have, the salary cap and the amount it will rise the next few years, and the quality of player you are getting.

IMO Ballard blew it big time with these 3.  Big.

I would never give watkins 48 mil guaranteed he only played 1 full season with only 600 yards js

11 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

I would never give watkins 48 mil guaranteed he only played 1 full season with only 600 yards js

I agree.  I said that was the contract that seemed extreme to me.

I said Robinson, Norwell, and the Dallas LB all seemed VERY reasonable and something that we should have been in on.  Cmon.....Robinson signed with the Bears and an iffy 2nd year qb.  We couldn't beat that?

On a side note, what is going in with Frank Reich and these oversized sports jackets he seems to favor wearing?  He looks like a guy from the 1990s going to a wedding in a sports jacket from 1975.

Get a new wardrobe bro!  (and a teeth whitener)  I know...it's vain of me haha.  I just look at him and those are the first 2 things I notice.  :)

31 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Light years Better.

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I agree.  I said that was the contract that seemed extreme to me.

I said Robinson, Norwell, and the Dallas LB all seemed VERY reasonable and something that we should have been in on.  Cmon.....Robinson signed with the Bears and an iffy 2nd year qb.  We couldn't beat that?

On a side note, what is going in with Frank Reich and these oversized sports jackets he seems to favor wearing?  He looks like a guy from the 1990s going to a wedding in a sports jacket from 1975.

Get a new wardrobe bro!

You gotta remember Free Agency dont officially don't start till tomorrow at 4pm EST

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree mostly, but I'm gonna wait until the dust settles and then see where things are.   There's still time for Ballard to up his offer to Norwell. Not saying a switch would happen or there's a snow ball's chance in Miami that it'll happen but until the ink is put to paper, I'm not gonna freak out.  

That's right. We were reported to be one of three favorites when I went to bed.  I woke and couldn't believe it and the money is in the neighborhood of what I was expecting. Ballard could easily up the guarantee or change his offer.  I would be absolutely shocked if he did it but as the saying goes.  It ain't over till the fat lady sings.