Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns to take QB at 1.

IndyScribe

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Mel...

.....You cant just settle for who's left.

You have to decide who you want and go get him.

All teams have one of these guys rated as the top guy.

And they may not think the 'crop' is as deep as you do. They may only like one of these guys

You have to go get him....and not let your No.1 pick fall to chance

Who's to say who Cleveland has rated as their top guy. They may value Barkley's talents above any other player in the draft including the QB's. If Barkley is the next Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith then he is definitely worth the 1st pick in the draft. They may have the QB's all rated about the same and not have a real preference. To be honest, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns trade out of 4 with Buffalo and take Rosen at 12 or Rudolph at 22. I really don't understand why in a year where there isn't a Manning, Elway, Luck, or the like at the QB position that everyone thinks a QB should be the first overall pick because of the position he plays. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder, and we all know Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. You don't have to take a QB at 1 to find a franchise QB. You just have to have good scouts, good coaches, and a lot of luck (that's the case with any player).

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Who's to say who Cleveland has rated as their top guy. They may value Barkley's talents above any other player in the draft including the QB's. If Barkley is the next Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith then he is definitely worth the 1st pick in the draft. They may have the QB's all rated about the same and not have a real preference. To be honest, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns trade out of 4 with Buffalo and take Rosen at 12 or Rudolph at 22. I really don't understand why in a year where there isn't a Manning, Elway, Luck, or the like at the QB position that everyone thinks a QB should be the first overall pick because of the position he plays. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder, and we all know Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. You don't have to take a QB at 1 to find a franchise QB. You just have to have good scouts, good coaches, and a lot of luck (that's the case with any player).

If the Browns value Barkely over their next QB, they are doomed.

2 things for sure:

(1.) Cleveland will take the quarterback they want first....so someone else cannot snatch him away

(2.) Barkley is not Jim Brown. Barry  Sanders or Emmitt Smith

Not close

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

2 things for sure:

(1.) Cleveland will take the quarterback they want first....so someone else cannot snatch him away

Not close

You aren't going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. I think Barkley is the pick and you think unnamed QB is the pick. We'll see. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and bantering here. Looking forward to the draft!

43 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

2 things for sure:

Not close

3) it's not the 60's or 90's.

7 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

You aren't going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. I think Barkley is the pick and you think unnamed QB is the pick. We'll see. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and bantering here. Looking forward to the draft!

If the Browns pass on a QB at #1 they better hope that no QB taken before #4 (or whenever they do choose one) turns into an very good/elite QB ... They have paid the price for playing that game before and they are probably still feeling the sting from passing on C Wentz and D Watson.

2 hours ago, esmort said:

If the Browns pass on a QB at #1 they better hope that no QB taken before #4 (or whenever they do choose one) turns into an very good/elite QB ... They have paid the price for playing that game before and they are probably still feeling the sting from passing on C Wentz and D Watson.

And if the Browns take a QB at #1 and he turns out to be Tim Couch and Saquon Barkley turns out to be who most analysts think he is... The draft is a crapshoot. I know for myself if I am going to gamble I'm going to try and find my best odds of winning. In my opinion, that's Barkley. I could be wrong and I'll be more than happy to admit it if I am. This is the Browns and history tells us that whatever they end up doing is going to be wrong. haha

13 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Who's to say who Cleveland has rated as their top guy. 

no one can know for sure until they say, but i think allen and mayfield would be busts there.  those guys need the right team and its not Cleveland imo 

darnold is better for them than rosen too, they should take him at #1.  cant risk losing him for barkley 

13 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

And if the Browns take a QB at #1 and he turns out to be Tim Couch and Saquon Barkley turns out to be who most analysts think he is... The draft is a crapshoot. I know for myself if I am going to gamble I'm going to try and find my best odds of winning. In my opinion, that's Barkley. I could be wrong and I'll be more than happy to admit it if I am. This is the Browns and history tells us that whatever they end up doing is going to be wrong. haha

You gamble on the most valuable position in the sport....not one of the least valuable.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

You gamble on the most valuable position in the sport....not one of the least valuable.

Watching ESPN's free agency special this afternoon, Bill Polian said that if he were making the pick he would take Barkley with the #1 pick. He said you were guaranteed one of the top 3 QB prospects at 4 but you weren't guaranteed getting Barkley at 4. Now after the Browns signed Hyde today, I don't think they will take Barkley at 1 but I found it intersting that someone like Bill Polian shared the same view as me. He said Saquon was as close to can't miss as any player in this draft.

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Watching ESPN's free agency special this afternoon, Bill Polian said that if he were making the pick he would take Barkley with the #1 pick. He said you were guaranteed one of the top 3 QB prospects at 4 but you weren't guaranteed getting Barkley at 4. Now after the Browns signed Hyde today, I don't think they will take Barkley at 1 but I found it intersting that someone like Bill pollen shared the same view as me. He said Saquon was as close to can't miss as any player in this draft.

Polian has said a lot of crazy % the last few yrs.   

Just now, BOTT said:

Polian has said a lot of crazy % the last few yrs.   

Polian's wasn't alone in his opinion. Louis Riddick and Tedy Bruschi also agreed that Barkley was the better pick at one. I think I would rather have Polian's crazy than the majority of people's opinions. He has forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows. I find it odd that everyone says you must take a QB at 1. I'm a person who likes to look back at history and see how things have worked in the past. Since 2000 there have been 12 QB's taken with the 1st overall pick. Only one of them has won a Super Bowl (Eli Manning). The whole idea of "positional value" seems a little silly to me if there is someone who pretty much all the experts say is head and shoulders above the other players in the draft. Just about everyone i have heard or read has Barkley rated as the best prospect in this draft followed by Quenton Nelson. I'm not saying the Browns are going to take a Barkley at #1. I thought that previously but now I do think they will take a QB at 1. If the goal is to build the best possible team then shouldn't you take the best players?

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Polian's wasn't alone in his opinion. Louis Riddick and Tedy Bruschi also agreed that Barkley was the better pick at one. I think I would rather have Polian's crazy than the majority of people's opinions. He has forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows. I find it odd that everyone says you must take a QB at 1. I'm a person who likes to look back at history and see how things have worked in the past. Since 2000 there have been 12 QB's taken with the 1st overall pick. Only one of them has won a Super Bowl (Eli Manning). The whole idea of "positional value" seems a little silly to me if there is someone who pretty much all the experts say is head and shoulders above the other players in the draft. Just about everyone i have heard or read has Barkley rated as the best prospect in this draft followed by Quenton Nelson. I'm not saying the Browns are going to take a Barkley at #1. I thought that previously but now I do think they will take a QB at 1. If the goal is to build the best possible team then shouldn't you take the best players?

I don't think we are going to agree.

5 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Probably not, but I enjoy the discussion. Like I said, I now think the Browns will go with a QB at 1. It's not the move I would make, but that's probably why I'm not an NFL GM. 

I enjoyed the discussion a month ago, but I'm just sounding like a broken record at this point lol

Just now, BOTT said:

I enjoyed the discussion a month ago, but I'm just sounding like a broken record at this point lol

Well you probably should either prepare yourself for more of it or avoid this place for the next month because with the draft coming I'm sure it will be rehashed again and again. haha

18 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Well, with Polian, its a lot easier to take Edgerrin James at #4 when you already have Peyton Manning on the roster than it is to take Barkley #1 when you only have Tyrod Taylor on the roster.

Polian must be looking at the overall quality of Barkley compared to the QBs, and in a vacuum, Barkley may be the better player by even a wide margin.  But the drop off from Darnold to the second tier QBs is a lot bigger than the drop off from Barkley to guys like Sony Michel.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, with Polian, its a lot easier to take Edgerrin James at #4 when you already have Peyton Manning on the roster than it is to take Barkley #1 when you only have Tyrod Taylor on the roster.

Polian must be looking at the overall quality of Barkley compared to the QBs, and in a vacuum, Barkley may be the better player by even a wide margin.  But the drop off from Darnold to the second tier QBs is a lot bigger than the drop off from Barkley to guys like Sony Michel.

If that were the case about Darnold wouldn't there be a consensus from the draft "experts" about who the best QB prospect is? Just curious as to why you think Darnold is better than the rest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761946-ranking-the-top-quarterback-prospects-after-the-2018-nfl-scouting-combine       (has Rosen rated 1)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php   (Darnold 1)

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp   (Rosen 1)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/  (Rudolph 1)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000916473/Mike-Mayock-breaks-down-his-top-5-QB-prospects-in-2018-NFL-Draft?icampaign="search-video-top+qb+prospects"  (Darnold 1)

BTW Polian said that Tyrod wasn't chopped liver at QB.

4 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If that were the case about Darnold wouldn't there be a consensus from the draft "experts" about who the best QB prospect is? Just curious as to why you think Darnold is better than the rest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761946-ranking-the-top-quarterback-prospects-after-the-2018-nfl-scouting-combine       (has Rosen rated 1)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php   (Darnold 1)

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp   (Rosen 1)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/  (Rudolph 1)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000916473/Mike-Mayock-breaks-down-his-top-5-QB-prospects-in-2018-NFL-Draft?icampaign="search-video-top+qb+prospects"  (Darnold 1)

I don't really know.  I just think its hard to take Barkley #1 when all they have is Tyrod Taylor at QB.  There is a gamble that 2 good QBs will not be there at #4 or they'll have to get in a bidding war to trade up.

Why not take your favorite QB at #1 then trade up 1 or 2 slots to get Barkley?  They're probably going to have to trade up anyway to get their QB if they take Barkley 1.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't really know.  I just think its hard to take Barkley #1 when all they have is Tyrod Taylor at QB.  There is a gamble that 2 good QBs will not be there at #4 or they'll have to get in a bidding war to trade up.

Why not take your favorite QB at #1 then trade up 1 or 2 slots to get Barkley?  They're probably going to have to trade up anyway to get their QB if they take Barkley 1.

Well if there were a consensus about who the best QB in this draft is then maybe I would try and trade up, but since there really isn't they could very well be able to take Barkley at 1 and still get the QB they think is best at 4. One thing almost all the experts agree on is that Barkley probably won't be there at 4 where at least 1 of the top 3 QB's will be. I do think the Browns will go QB at 1 but I enjoy the banter.

23 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Well if there were a consensus about who the best QB in this draft is then maybe I would try and trade up, but since there really isn't they could very well be able to take Barkley at 1 and still get the QB they think is best at 4. One thing almost all the experts agree on is that Barkley probably won't be there at 4 where at least 1 of the top 3 QB's will be. I do think the Browns will go QB at 1 but I enjoy the banter.

Yeah, but I think Rosen said he wasn't going to play for Cleveland. Maybe that's just talk, but if that's a serious problem then the QB has to be Darnold since Allen is a bit of a project and more of an unknown.  

So I think Cleveland realistically is looking at Darnold.  It would be a gamble to wait and see if he was there at 4.

I don't think any of the QB's in this draft are worth the #1 pick.   Rosen has been dropping in most experts opinions.   Allen is a project.   Darnold looked like crap against an NFL style Ohio State defense.   After signing Hyde, the Browns may take a QB #1 anyway.   Or maybe they trade down and take a QB at #4.   Browns have so many options and they have done great in FA so far.   Kudos to them.  

On 3/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, GoatBeard said:

Where do people get that this crop of QBs isnt any good?

Its like they just pulled it out if the sky.

There are atleast 5 first round picks at QB this year. It is actually a very good class and they can take the best one of the bunch.

They are not gonna say "well we will settle for whoever is at 4." Especially for a RB. Thats just dumb.

It's not that it isn't any good.  There are lots of high level QBs, but it's not like the RB class last year or the 2012 QB class.  There just doesn't seem to be any elite level talent.  There are guys that could end up being elite, but nothing is jumping out screaming that any of these are consensus #1 talents right now.  Just some people take that and run with it to the point of hyperbole, "There aren't any Andrew Lucks in this class, therefore it is not a "good" class."  You can easily see through the flawed logic.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:10 PM, IndyScribe said:

Makes sense. Tyrod was always a stopgap that they could play their rookie behind. Taking Barkley at #1 is insane, even for the Browns. They need to find their QB and Dorsey seems to have the right idea.

Hue Jackson just announced that Tyrod Taylor is their starting QB. No competition at that spot. It looks like they're shooting for the #1 pick again next year. 

3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Hue Jackson just announced that Tyrod Taylor is their starting QB. No competition at that spot. It looks like they're shooting for the #1 pick again next year. 

Wasn't Kizer their starter last year?  Its probably a smoke screen.