Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills Trade Cordy Glenn to Bengals- Get 12th pick for 21st Pick

Just saw the update

Bills moved Glenn to the Bengals and got the Bengals #12 pick for their 21st overall.

Should allow the Bills to get their QB in the top 12 or use considerably less ammo to move up into the top 10 to get their guy if they feel the need to move up further.

So all those hopes of a massive haul for the Colts falling from 3 to 21 and 22 should go away.

Still a decent chance we could move back to 12 and get some more picks out of them if they truly want to move up to 3.

We are definitely still in the trade back mix here.  It actually becomes even more likely although it still comes down to working out the compensation.  It brings a really serious suitor even closer to our pick along with Denver the Jets etc.  which could actually drive competition for our pick further up.  I think it's great for us.  With all the QB's going early who knows who could fall to us at 12. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

We are definitely still in the trade back mix here.  It actually becomes even more likely although it still comes down to working out the compensation.  It brings a really serious suitor even closer to our pick along with Denver the Jets etc.  which could actually drive competition for our pick further up.  I think it's great for us.  With all the QB's going early who knows who could fall to us at 12. 

I dont disagree at all. I would be a lot more content moving down to #12 than falling all the way back to 21.

I will say it would likely mean less compensation coming our way compared to falling all the way back to 21, but the draft value chart would still suggest a trade along the lines of:

Colts 1.03 (2200 pts)

for

Bills 1.12 (1200 pts)

Bills 1.22 (780 pts)

Bills 3.01 (pick acquired from Cleveland for T.Taylor) (265 pts)

That would be just about an even swap. Anything more would be gravy and likely be based on competition for that 1.03 pick if so.

Draft day just got really interesting. I'm somewhat un-opinionated when it comes to trading back. For me, I would like the instant gratification of getting an established player, and picks. I know that may be unlikely, but we shall see how it falls.

That's a crazy bad trade for the Bengals. Moving back 9 places for an average, injury prone tackle on a $9.5 million a year contract. The Bills I'm sure were only looking to get his big wage of their books, the Bengals fifth round conditional pick would have probably done it. At 12th overall would have given them Mike McGlinchey probably.

24 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

That's a crazy bad trade for the Bengals. Moving back 9 places for an average, injury prone tackle on a $9.5 million a year contract. The Bills I'm sure were only looking to get his big wage of their books, the Bengals fifth round conditional pick would have probably done it. At 12th overall would have given them Mike McGlinchey probably.

He's had health issues the past two seasons but he's not average. He's very good when healthy.

The difference in draft pick value is about #51 pick. That I agree is relatively high in comparison to recent trades.

The trade market for the Colts is going to be crazy. Once Cousins signs with MIN, there will be at least three teams desperate to move up to #3. 

CLE just needs to cooperate and go Barkley at #1 and the NYG need to take the QB we all know they are going to take.

Just now, shastamasta said:

The trade market for the Colts is going to be crazy. Once Cousins signs with MIN, there will be at least three teams desperate to move up to #3. 

CLE just needs to cooperate and go Barkley at #1 and the NYG need to take the QB we all know they are going to take.

Browns are taking a QB first.

2 minutes ago, Finball said:

He's had health issues the past two seasons but he's not average. He's very good when healthy.

The difference in draft pick value is about #51 pick. That I agree is relatively high in comparison to recent trades.

Yeah that's fair. I guess for me, to pay an injury prone tackle $9.5mil alone is excessive, never mind the draft pick swaps. Foot and ankle injuries supporting a 300lbs man scare me. But as you say if he is healthy, he is probably going to be a solid piece for a poor Bengals oline. I'm sure a full medical was done anyway.

16 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I dont disagree at all. I would be a lot more content moving down to #12 than falling all the way back to 21.

I will say it would likely mean less compensation coming our way compared to falling all the way back to 21, but the draft value chart would still suggest a trade along the lines of:

Colts 1.03 (2200 pts)

for

Bills 1.12 (1200 pts)

Bills 1.22 (780 pts)

That would be just about an even swap. Anything more would be gravy and likely be based on competition for that 1.03 pick if so.

I think it would take more than that for Ballard to want to move down. He strikes me as the type of GM who won't move down unless you go above the fair offer meaning he gets the better valued deal. 

15 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Colts 1.03 (2200 pts)

for

Bills 1.12 (1200 pts)

Bills 1.22 (780 pts)

Yes, that is the value chart for the pick, and yes, it is good value, but when you consider how in demand our pick will be, Ballard can just go back and forth between trade partners, telling them "so-and-so offered me this much, will you up your end?" and could get a second and 4th rather than just a 3rd. Trade Value charts are broken this high up in the draft, so I never follow them for top 5 picks!

6 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Browns are taking a QB first.

That's probably what happens. But if they take Barkley, it will get very interesting.

Even if both CLE and the NYG grab a QB, the Colts are sitting pretty...and teams might get even more desperate.

19 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Colts 1.03 (2200 pts)

for

Bills 1.12 (1200 pts)

Bills 1.22 (780 pts)

Ballard takes that deal and runs. And then he trades #22 to one of those teams at the back of the 1st round for their first two picks...OR to CLE or the NYJ for two of their 2nd round picks.

In the now infamous 2013 NFL Draft, MIA successfuly traded up from #12 to #3 by only including #42.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Perfectly matches my line of thought. They no longer would have to mortgage the future to move up now. 12 and 22 looking pretty good right now if we don't love who is there at 3. 12 could be any of Davenport/Nelson/Edmonds/Smith and 22 could be any of Hernandez/Wynn/Vander Esch/McGlinchey/Evans/Landry so lots and lots more possibilities if we go that route now. Much much more easy to swallow...and still likely to land something in rd 2 from them as well. I still think we would have to pass up Chubb and that would be a lot...but I think the draft goes qb1, Barkley 2, and leaves us and Cleveland in the cat-bird seat on who gets that next qb. Going to be interesting draft night!

Browns are a few years from contention for playoffs even with FA moves and draft picks, but the Colts are a few very good draft picks and a couple of FA moves from AFC South contention, IMO.

If you don’t believe the player you want will be there at #12, it sometimes doesn’t matter how good the deal is, you’re going to trade quality for quantity. This is why they pay Ballard the big bucks. :) 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

What are the odds that Nelson drops to 12 and the Colts can snag him along with another player at 21? IF they trade with the Bills...

Denver needs OL help too. If they land Case Keenum or Cousins, Nelson is high on their radar, IMO.

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Browns are a few years from contention for playoffs even with FA moves and draft picks, but the Colts are a few very good draft picks and a couple of FA moves from AFC South contention, IMO.

If you don’t believe the player you want will be there at #12, it sometimes doesn’t matter how good the deal is, you’re going to trade quality for quantity. This is why they pay Ballard the big bucks. :) 

I think we can get two great players by trading back

I think Josh Allen would look good in a Bills uniform.  And there might be some interest from Denver.  The fans would give him some time, IMO.   I don't see Allen being a good fit for the NY teams, so I'm hoping there is some mutual interest between Buffalo and Denver for our 3.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Colts 1.03 (2200 pts)

for

Bills 1.12 (1200 pts)

Bills 1.22 (780 pts)

When a team is trying to acquire a potential Franchise QB, especially when they haven't had one for years & years, I think you can throw the 'draft value chart' out the window. They may be willing to pay a substantial amount more. Especially if they think their competing with division rivals for the same QB.

We can own the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills AND their first born for decades. haha

24 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

At 12 and 22 we could get one of each:

DE Davenport or Landry

LB Edmonds or Smith

I would take one of each over Chubb....

I'd definitely take those two, especially Edmunds. Hernandez, if we're lucky, might even be there at 22.