Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Austin Seferian-Jenkins

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Would be more interested in a one-year deal for Eifert. But the more I read about this rookie TE class, I wouldn't mind grabbing one of those to develop. Let other teams roll the dice on ASJ, Eifert, Graham and especially Trey Burton.

Colts have a lot of other needs though. Guys like Gesicki or Goedert are talented but would be gone by the time Colts could draft them after covering other needs.

2 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

The Tight End position isn’t a mandatory need for this team right now. We will see come Draft time if Ballard wants to spend a later pick on a Tight End or not. 

Maybe not a high priority, but TE is definitely a need.  it's a position that is just as thin as WR at the moment

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Colts have a lot of other needs though. Guys like Gesicki or Goedert are talented but would be gone by the time Colts could draft them after covering other needs.

For it to make sense, the Colts would need to trade back and accrue more picks. But I wouldn't put it past Ballard.

It really depends on Swoope. He mysteriously missed an entire season...so he has to be a question mark at this point. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could...but if he can't come back, I think TE becomes somewhat of a prioirty.

I just can't imagine the Colts intentionally giving big-time snaps to guys like Brandon Williams and Darrell Daniels again. When Reich was the OC in SD, he had Gates and Ladarius Green. When he was the OC in PHI, he had Ertz, Burton and Celek. I think he and Ballard are going to want more talent at the position.

3 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

The Tight End position isn’t a mandatory need for this team right now. We will see come Draft time if Ballard wants to spend a later pick on a Tight End or not. 

Weapons for a offensive team, especially when deprived of them, is needed and not a luxury.

ASJ has extreme upside. If he can KEEP his alcoholism behind him he can be a Top Tier TE in this league. 

I would love for the Colts to be able to sign him. He would instantly be our #1 TE. And look forward seeing 2 TE sets with him and Doyle. Lots of flexibility in lining up dual TE's that can both catch.

I appreciate that the "ASJ Sucks!" crowd knows that he was a big bust his first three years in Tampa.

I'm just not sure the crowd knows that ASJ had a very good 2017 season for the Jets.  He caught 50 passes from Josh McNown.

ASJ went away to alcohol rehab and completed it and stayed sober.  He admits he's an alcoholic.   In his first three years in the NFL he caught 55 passes.   Last year -- 50.

No guarantee he won't relapse..  but he might be worth an investment.   He has talent.   It'd be nice to buy a good player at a discount.

I seem to be in the minority in that I quite like our TE group.

Doyle had a couple of blips last year but still looked good and that was without the chemistry he and Luck have and with the first year of pressure as TE1.

Swoope is a concern based on the injuries last year but Ballard has mentioned he rates him highly and so, if we can get him healthy, solid TE2.

The X-factor in this is Ross Travis. Obviously very little data on him last year but I remember one game where he caught two passes one after another and looked really big and strong.

With so many other needs, I like this group and wouldn't mind seeing how they do for 2018 before looking elsewhere.

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

ASJ has extreme upside. If he can KEEP his alcoholism behind him he can be a Top Tier TE in this league. 

I would love for the Colts to be able to sign him. He would instantly be our #1 TE. And look forward seeing 2 TE sets with him and Doyle. Lots of flexibility in lining up dual TE's that can both catch.

He wouldn't "instantly be our #1 TE." Doyle is still better. Maybe eventually he can surpass Doyle but definitely not instantly. It takes a while to master a playbook and develop chemistry with your QB.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I seem to be in the minority in that I quite like our TE group.

Doyle had a couple of blips last year but still looked good and that was without the chemistry he and Luck have and with the first year of pressure as TE1.

Swoope is a concern based on the injuries last year but Ballard has mentioned he rates him highly and so, if we can get him healthy, solid TE2.

The X-factor in this is Ross Travis. Obviously very little data on him last year but I remember one game where he caught two passes one after another and looked really big and strong.

With so many other needs, I like this group and wouldn't mind seeing how they do for 2018 before looking elsewhere.

They obviously know more about Swoope's health than any of us. But as far as we know, he is a question mark at this piont...after missing an entire season. I was very high on him, so I hope he is back, but having some insurance would be nice.

I don't think Ballard wants find himself in a situation where he the Colts are giving big time snaps to guys like Williams and Daniels last season. At least that is my hope. What that looks like though I don't know.