Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landry, Guice, 2 extra picks on Day 2, and a 2019 1st?

For those saying Landry is too small to be a 4-3 DE. He's the same height and about 10 lbs heavier than Yannick Ngakoue who's doing a pretty darn good job down in Jacksonville. He could play the Leo role fine. This draft would be fine if Chubb were gone by #3, but he lasted till #7 so I wouldnt pass him up. 

In this scenario though I would probably replace Guice with Vander Esch and try to get Sony Michel or Rashad Penny later.

49 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Anyone who thinks the Colts are going to trade out of a top 5 pick all the way to the bottom of the 1st shouldn’t be doing mock drafts. Quality >Quantity 

It’s a balance between the two. If the combination of players taken in a trade back make a bigger impact than a player taken at 3, then its worth it. If we trade with the Bills we will get at least their 2 1sts, and their 2 2nds. Say we take Marcus Davenport, McGlinchey, Malik Jefferson, and Billy Price with those picks. I think it’s safe to say those 4 players would make more of an impact than Chubb or Nelson. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Anyone who thinks the Colts are going to trade out of a top 5 pick all the way to the bottom of the 1st shouldn’t be doing mock drafts. Quality >Quantity 

It looks like two trade backs and you go to 21 and 22.  The bottom is 31 and 32.  I think those would be great trades. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

I love Landry and Guice, but Landry is definitely off the board by the 21st pick... I don't see him getting past the Packers pick, if he even lasts that long... I'd be tempted to make bets that he gets picked before Q. Nelson. 

I don't know why you think Landry is a lock for before 21.

I'm not even 100% sure he's a lock for the first round?      He might be.    He likely is.    But a lock?     Far from it for my money.    I project him in the first round,  but I wouldn't bet money on it.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not even 100% sure he's a lock for the first round?      He might be.    He likely is.    But a lock?     Far from it for my money.    I project him in the first round,  but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Don’t you know? Every year there are 30 players who won’t make it past 15! 

I would love the trade with Denver, but unless Buffalo gave me another second along with the 1st next year, I would not do it. You figure Buffalo is going to be around the same area next year, which means it would only be about 200 pts. above our draft position. The important fact is next year's picks are worth less, so I would need something else, because that is a big jump. I think I would be happier just taking Denver's 2 second rounders and get the quality player we want. Nelson on Chubb I think are more a guarantee. Once you go back to players in the 20's, you start to take more of a gamble. Additionally, if I were picking in that area, it would be Hernandez, and our MLB for the future, Evans, Smith, or Vander Esch. Buffalo is gearing up for a move though, and one more second round pick is not going to be the difference stopping them if Ballard were to hold firm. Just look at what teams have given up in prior years to go from the teens to the top #5.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You could definitely be right, however, the reasons I think he doesn't make to 21:

1. He's put some phenomenal play on tape. His 2016 season was amazing... 

2. I think his strong showing at the combine will show teams that he has fully recovered from the injury that likely hampered his play in 2017. His combine showed evaluators that his 2016 tape is more illustrative of his level of athleticism than last year's.

3. His positional value as an edge rusher all but guarentees he will be overdrafted... I'd be shocked if any teams had any other edges (other than Chubb) ahead of Landry on their boards. The top 5 edge guys are always a threat to go early. 

I think he has shown himself to be worth a pick in the top half of the first round... add in his positional value and you have a top 20 lock...

Of course, that's just my opinion... I don't have any special talent for scouting NFL players, so I'm sure your opinion is at least as sound as my own. 

14 hours ago, gacker65 said:

If we traded back this far, I would like Will Hernandez and Leghton Vander Esch.

This would make me soooo happy.   

Plus Guice could be taken in the 2nd with Baker and/or Jefferson. Technically with these 2 trades we could nab both linebackers and an additional guard like price after taking Guice. What a draft haul that would be....  honestly the best way to maximize value this year with so few blue chip players available. 

The thought of an improved oline and run game for Luck plus our linebackers getting a huge increase in athleticism...  salivating. 

Like someone else said, quality > quantity. Chubb's ceiling is greater than Landry's, IMO.

That is why, even though it was rumored that Mike Holmgren was willing to give up almost his entire draft to get Andrew Luck, Irsay and folks decided to stand pat in 2012. Probably the same reason Bill Polian stood pat by picking Edgerrin James at No.4 while Mike Ditka gave up the farm for Ricky Williams at No.5 in 1999.

Sometimes, you do not overthink it and look a gift horse (high draft position) in its mouth, IMO. 

I assume the Colts would own day two of the draft if they actually pulled off two trade backs. I am thinking  it would include at least three additional 2nd round picks and another 3rd round pick...and maybe even a future high pick.

It would be awesome to see them trade back twice, just from the sure volume of draft picks acquired.. However, I am not a fan of this. In trading back here with BUF, the Colts miss out on every player that I would have wanted out of the 1st round...Chubb, Fitzpatrick, James, Ward, Vea, Edmunds, Smith, Davenport, even Nelson. That is a very expensive opportunity cost. And while I like Landry, I think he's a bit of a risk as your top pick.

But if IND traded back to #5 and still had a shot at Chubb...but traded back again all the way to #21...this place might explode.  

If the Colts do trade back twice, ideally I don't want to go lower than #11...with #15 as low as I am willing to go. Of course, how the board falls could change that. But that seems to be the lowest spot we can expect to get one of those players I like. 

I do think that Landy can put on 10 pounds without shedding his speed and twitch get-off, and could make the transition from prototype 3-4 rush OLB to 4-3 DE.  However, I would never trade all the way down to 21.  Even though the Colts have needs all over, and could use an influx of new talent everywhere, it's not often you get a chance at difference makers in the top 10.  Take advantage of that opportunity when it presents itself.