Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins actively trying to trade starting RT Ja' Wuan James before Wed. 4PM.

4 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Ballard has been to quiet to make this move. I'm getting the feeling we colts fans are going to be pretty upset by Friday. As much as we want a proven starter on the oline and a WR to play opposite ty, it seems CB is content shopping on the bargain aisle. 

We all said this last year when he waited while other teams threw $ at Poe, etc.  then we were all pretty happy when hankins came in.

Ballard IS NOT only diving in the budget dumpster.  He is looking for value.  Patience.  I think the recent trades have people jumpy.

Ballard is not afraid to spend money, he (luckily) doesnt want to mortgage our future.

3 hours ago, SolidGold said:

He's not making any moves. I guess it feels better to hold the money and grab low-budget players that won't make a difference. Everyone had a point with Landry and the money but now he's just being cheap and tight.

Uh, mr Gold..... you DO realize its not free agency yet, right?

so , that means trade.  Which means the same people mad for doing nothing, would be mad for trading picks.

calm down Mr Gold.  Ballard isnt golfing at Mara Lago, he's working.  Trust me.  We're gonna get some guys, but it has to happen in an intelligent manner.  I'm waiting until after the draft, free agency to make a judgement. 

FYI...while teams are trading for these big name players they are throwing away cap space at an alarming rate. When NY trades for Olgeltree and Cleveland for Landry etc these teams are giving up cap space. If your asking Ballard to spend a draft pick and 9 million on James a marginal talent that is 9 million less to leverage for guys like Norwell and Robinson who most of you covet. James might be an ok RT but not at 9 million a year. That 9 million would be better served invested in Hutchins, Robinson, or Norwell. While other GMs are looking to make a splash they are throwing away cap money pretty quickly. I’m happy to hold on to ours for difference makers.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Again why exercise tbetterhe option?  They must have thought he was worth the investment.  Fleming shouldn't get that much.  He only earned his spot late in the year due to an injury and played well from what I read.  He would be a cheaper option but that doesn't make him a better option.  

Sorry oops. Wikipedia was a better source than PFF on his pro career.
He did start at RT his rookie season and was ok till they moved him to LT after Brandon Albert got injured.
Not good at LT.
 PFF had him playing 228 snaps year 2. He got injured.
 Year 3 he was not bad.
 Picking up the 5t h year option is a gamble. It is done Before the 4th season. For James they hoped he continued to get better in year 4, so he can EARN the $9.3. Also giving them an option to do a long term deal based on his having proven he is worth it. They could have offered him a long term deal, with a cap friendly # for this coming season.  We will soon see if another team wants him, and at what price.
Ballard knows more about this guy than anyone here, and what his worth is to us. I am sure.

I am all for it. I want to see what we can do in regards to signing Norwell first. If we land him... the next call should be to the Dolphins. If these two things happened I would be completely fine with taking Nelson at 3 or wherever we trade to that is within reason. HNNNG!

57 minutes ago, MrNLM said:

I am all for it. I want to see what we can do in regards to signing Norwell first. If we land him... the next call should be to the Dolphins. If these two things happened I would be completely fine with taking Nelson at 3 or wherever we trade to that is within reason. HNNNG!

Dolphins need to get rid of him or another player by wednesday because they are over the cap limit.

If people are expecting us to sign Norwell or Robinson I think ya'll will be disappointed, they're gonna be the two that get huge contracts that aren't worth the talent.

8 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Dolphins need to get rid of him or another player by wednesday because they are over the cap limit.

If people are expecting us to sign Norwell or Robinson I think ya'll will be disappointed, they're gonna be the two that get huge contracts that aren't worth the talent.

You may be right. Gonna be fun finding out what we can along the way.

8 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I don't think Colts sign Norwell or Robinson.

I don't think Ballard is necessarily "cheap" or "shopping on the bargain aisle" as some have said. He's looking for value for the cap money in his budget. Think of it this way: That six-year-old Toyota on the used car lot might be better than that clunker in your driveway, but you're not gonna pay $50K for it, no matter how much your kids scream, "OMG! I want it!". 

The Bills just traded a 29 yr. old injury prone LT Cordy Glenn and his 9.5m cap hit to the Bengals and swapped 1st's as well.  Reports coming out today are predicting that Norwell and Solder are going to get contracts pushing 13m. a year.  It's being reported the Dolphins are trying desperately to get James to sign a new contract before Wed.  But in order to get inside their cap he would have to give them a huge home town discount bringing him below his 9.3m 2018 salary.  I'm probably crazy but I think trading for this young accomplished starter before Wed and securing a solid starting RT at his price is a bargain.  It doesn't look we're going to do it and I think it's a mistake.  I see this as obtaining value.  Not overpaying.  But what do I know.  Got to trust in Ballard I guess.  He's getting the big bucks.  I can't wait to see how our new OL shakes out. 

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

FYI...while teams are trading for these big name players they are throwing away cap space at an alarming rate. When NY trades for Olgeltree and Cleveland for Landry etc these teams are giving up cap space. If your asking Ballard to spend a draft pick and 9 million on James a marginal talent that is 9 million less to leverage for guys like Norwell and Robinson who most of you covet. James might be an ok RT but not at 9 million a year. That 9 million would be better served invested in Hutchins, Robinson, or Norwell. While other GMs are looking to make a splash they are throwing away cap money pretty quickly. I’m happy to hold on to ours for difference makers.

I agree with this...except in the case of Quinn. I think he would have been well worth the cap space.

A lot of rumors today with a couple big time free agents, but none linked to colts. Hoping Ballard let everyone throw their best pitch today so he can come in with a better one. Being linked to doin Lewis, Austin seferian Jenkins, and Malcolm butler is not what I was hoping for but Ballard knows what he's doing I assume.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I agree with this...except in the case of Quinn. I think he would have been well worth the cap space.

I Think a big issue with Quinn is his health. I understand we need pass rushers but that’s a lot to spend on a guy with health questions.