Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richard Sherman

oldunclemark

Play or not,  theyre paying Sherman like he's 25 and healthy.

He's not.

Richard is 30 and coming off two surgeries, one for each lower leg.   An achiles for one and a bone chip removal for the other.   He may play in 18, but how good is another question?

I'm happy for Sherman, but think GM, John Lynch, badly overpaid.   And yes, I suspect the Stanford connection played a roll here...

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

..signs a 3-year contract with the 49ers after being released by Seattle..

But he wont be playing this year after the surgery he had, will he?

So why sign him, for 3 years, no less..?    What is SF going to get from this?

Is there something I'm missing here.

He'll play this year. SF gets an upgrade at CB. Although injured, he's much better than the 9ers current CBs.

Nice deal. Looks like he's betting on himself.

Looks reasonable for both the 49ers and Sherman....some details... 

Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) Tweeted:
Richard Sherman’s deal includes a $5M signing bonus, plus $2M base salary, $2M in 46-man roster bonuses, $1M playtime incentive and $3M Pro Bowl incentive in 2018. So #49ers get protection, and Sherman gets upside to beat his #Seahawks deal if he plays well. Win-win. https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/972666964668747776?s=17

17 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

He'll play this year. SF gets an upgrade at CB. Although injured, he's much better than the 9ers current CBs.

Nice deal. Looks like he's betting on himself.

I'm reading that its 2 years before you totally recover from a torn Achilles..and at cornerback....and at age 30.     Don't you bet on him playing....

I wonder what the 49ers are betting on..

59 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm reading that its 2 years before you totally recover from a torn Achilles..and at cornerback....and at age 30.     Don't you bet on him playing....

I wonder what the 49ers are betting on..

He's betting on himself. His contract is structured that way. I'm more confident than not that he'll play.

One story I read today says the reported deal of 3/39 is little more than a mirage...  an illusion..

It's actually a much smaller, more modest deal that COULD grow to 3/39 IF Richard hits a combination of games played and performance level (not clear if it's all-pro or pro bowl).

Ultimately, Richard is betting on Richard...   good for him...   hope it works out...

On 3/11/2018 at 11:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

One story I read today says the reported deal of 3/39 is little more than a mirage...  an illusion..

It's actually a much smaller, more modest deal that COULD grow to 3/39 IF Richard hits a combination of games played and performance level (not clear if it's all-pro or pro bowl).

Ultimately, Richard is betting on Richard...   good for him...   hope it works out...

I heard the first year of the deal essentially works out something like this (numbers approximate but fairly close to actual) -

Sherman gets 5 million this year to ‘rehab’.

He will get another 2 million if off the PUP by seasons start

He will get another 2 million for playing Most or all 16 games (can’t remember)

He will earn another 3 million is he makes Pro Bowl after the season.

So he ‘could’ make around 12 million this year if all of the above fall into place.  I heard Sherman negotiated his own deal, so this is timeline he is placing on himself, and the reward for hitting those milestones.  The team will benefit with him hitting those as well.

I was engaged in a project when I heard Pat Kirwan break it down like this (on his Moving the Chains radio show) I haven‘ t researched it for true accuracy yet, but feel it is a fair representation of the story as I heard it.

I’ll amend if I find I’m mistaken.

I always liked Sherman--confident, brazen, well read/well spoken, & out for retribution against Pete Carroll for releasing him.

"You mad bro?!" Why yes, yes Richard is. I love this mentality. 

It's great when guys feel discarded, forgotten, & under estimated. M-o-t-i-v-a-t-i-o-n in it's purest form. :popcorn: