Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots acquire Danny Shelton from Browns

4 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

So the pats get a player who was the 12th Overall pick a couple seasons ago PLUS THE 129th Overall pick this year. And the brownies get a estimated pick Next year about 96th. 

I heard the brownies wouldn't be the brownies anymore with dorsey there.

I guess Belichek can still fleece anyone.

haha

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So the pats get a player who was the 12th Overall pick a couple seasons ago PLUS THE 129th Overall pick this year. And the brownies get a estimated pick Next year about 96th. 

I heard the brownies wouldn't be the brownies anymore with dorsey there.

I guess Belichek can still fleece anyone.

haha

I wouldn't call it a fleece just yet. Just because he was picked 12th doesn't make him all that good. Picking him in the first round is part of what cost Ray Farmer his job. 

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't call it a fleece just yet. Just because he was picked 12th doesn't make him all that good. Picking him in the first round is part of what cost Ray Farmer his job. 

Exactly that’s like saying the Pats fleeced the Colts for Allen, a former third rounder,  and sixth round pick for a fourth round pick.  You have to look beyond where a guy was drafted and see how good he is.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

What Shelton does or doesn't do isn't the point. They got rid of him PLUS the 129th OVERALL Pick! Thats like Ballard getting rid of Dorsett AND a 4th round pick without getting Brisset in return.

Couldn't Dorsey find a taker for Shelton for a 7th rd.pick from some other team?

When you give a player away you dont want why do you have to also give away a valuable draft pick too? 

Not to mention he traded away the 65th overall draft pick for a QB that Buffalo was tickled pink tp get rid of.

In another thread you mentioned why should a team get penalized VALUABLE DRAFT picks for a dumb employee. Well Dorsey just traded away Shelton,the 65tth & 129th pick and only has Tyrod Taylor to show for it this year. 

I dont remember what he traded for Jarvis Landry but at least in that deal he got a Big Time weapon. He done good there.

I'd like fpr the Brownies to do well, I think they will for a while. But just tired of Belichek getting the best of teams.

27 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What Shelton does or doesn't do isn't the point. They got rid of him PLUS the 129th OVERALL Pick! Thats like Ballard getting rid of Dorsett AND a 4th round pick without getting Brisset in return.

Couldn't Dorsey find a taker for Shelton for a 7th rd.pick from some other team?

When you give a player away you dont want why do you have to also give away a valuable draft pick too? 

Not to mention he traded away the 65th overall draft pick for a QB that Buffalo was tickled pink tp get rid of.

In another thread you mentioned why should a team get penalized VALUABLE DRAFT picks for a dumb employee. Well Dorsey just traded away Shelton,the 65tth & 129th pick and only has Tyrod Taylor to show for it this year. 

I dont remember what he traded for Jarvis Landry but at least in that deal he got a Big Time weapon. He done good there.

I'd like fpr the Brownies to do well, I think they will for a while. But just tired of Belichek getting the best of teams.

You failed to mention the Browns get the Pats 3rd round pick.

39 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Sorry, LJ....

But your math is off...

Cleve packaged a 5 with Shelton.   You keep writing the 129th overall pick.   That pick is actually in the 4th round.

The pick Cleve sent to NE appears to be pick 159.    30 spots later.    That pick is in the 5th round.   That's the change made on the draft trade chart.

So it's not quite the terrible trade you make it out to be.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, LJ....

But your math is off...

Cleve packaged a 5 with Shelton.   You keep writing the 129th overall pick.   That pick is actually in the 4th round.

The pick Cleve sent to NE appears to be pick 159.    30 spots later.    That pick is in the 5th round.   That's the change made on the draft trade chart.

So it's not quite the terrible trade you make it out to be.

Plus the Browns get the Patriots 3rd round pick in 2019.

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

What's even gone about Danny Shelton's career? Obviously it hasn't been great if they're trading him, but he was pretty hyped coming out of college. A third round pick isn't exactly cheap either.

He's a good player. Space eater who demands double teams in the run game but offers little to nothing on passing downs. But Browns switched to 4-3 where everyone 1-gaps when they hired Gregg Williams so he wasn't a scheme fit.

8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

What's even gone about Danny Shelton's career? Obviously it hasn't been great if they're trading him, but he was pretty hyped coming out of college. A third round pick isn't exactly cheap either.

From what I've read about him, he's been a pretty solid run defender, which was expected because of his size.  He doesn't offer much in terms of pass rush (1.5 career sacks), but he occupies blockers

IF the Colts weren't transitioning to a 4-3, I would have been very disappointed that Ballard didn't try to get him. 

That being said, it seems like plenty of players are on the trading block, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts involved. I am still a bit perplexed why they didn't make a play for Peters or Quinn...the latter of which is a 27 year-old proven pass rusher and the Colts are flush with cap space.

8 hours ago, King! said:

Don't Cleveland and New England both play a 3-4.

The Colts are switching to a 4-3.

So Shelton coming here wouldn't make sense.

NE plays mixed fronts. If I had to guess based on the games I watched, they play more 4-3 than 3-4 fronts. Shelton is a liability on passing downs. Unless NE plans to keep him in on 3rd downs, this is an OK move to me.