Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns trading for J Landry

Couldn't find anything in CBA but this former NFL agent and CBS on Cousins and if Redskins were to tag him.

Cousins would still have some recourse if an arbitrator ruled against him. He couldn't be traded until he signed his tender, which would give him some control over the situation. Cousins would effectively have a no-trade clause since his cooperation would be required in order to be dealt to another team. The prospect of a team giving up significant draft-choice compensation or players is likely to be unappealing to Cousins because his new club would be weakened.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-pros-and-cons-if-redskins-use-a-third-franchise-tag-on-kirk-cousins/

22 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

With Tyrod now in Cleveland, I think this cements that Barkley is the pick at #1 unless they trade it.

Taylor isn't that good that he's going to have say whether a team uses #1 pick on QB or not.

And this allows them to sit the QB for a year and not throw him into the fire if he's not ready.

Just now, Finball said:

Taylor isn't that good that he's going to have say whether a team uses #1 pick on QB or not.

And this allows them to sit the QB for a year and not throw him into the fire if he's not ready.

He's not great but he's your starter this year. They can then get their QB at 4, someone like Allen who needs the time to learn.

23 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He's not great but he's your starter this year. They can then get their QB at 4, someone like Allen who needs the time to learn.

It's possible but there's no guarantee that Allen is there at #4. If they really like a QB in this draft, they better take him at #1 or risk a chance they miss out. That didn't work out so well for the previous Browns management, not taking franchise QB when he's there.

4 hours ago, Finball said:

It's possible but there's no guarantee that Allen is there at #4. If they really like a QB in this draft, they better take him at #1 or risk a chance they miss out. That didn't work out so well for the previous Browns management, not taking franchise QB when he's there.

The Great Finball, please clarify who the one obvious Franchise QB is that must be drafted 1st? Hmmmm?

Well, the Obvious answer is, there IS NOT ONE. There are at Least 4 QB's that could be SB caliber players in a few years. Your point is dog Tired.

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Great Finball, please clarify who the one obvious Franchise QB is that must be drafted 1st? Hmmmm?

Well, the Obvious answer is, there IS NOT ONE. There are at Least 4 QB's that could be SB caliber players in a few years. Your point is dog Tired.

What I or anyone else here, thinks of those QBs is irrelevant. it won't have any impact what the Browns do. Browns FOs opinion is all that matters, Do they think there's at least 4 SB caliber QBs? Do they think one of them is clearly above others?

16 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I'm confused by the "They have a quarterback.......and they will"  part

I think he means Landry thought they would have a QB. The "they will" part was just confirmation from Rapoport about what he heard. He was saying "they will have a QB" before Tyrod was traded.

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's his choice to sign a new contract but not the trade. If the Dolphins wanted to trade him to the Browns there was nothing he could do to stop it.

The dolphins gave Landry and his agent permission to seek a trade. So I think this was one of the less common scenarios where Landry did have a choice. Plus the browns wouldn't have given up 2 draft picks without 100% confirmation that Landry would sign a long term deal. 

*edit.. I see some of this was clarified but mainly wanted to add the part about Miami allowing Landry to seek out a trade. 

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

The dolphins gave Landry and his agent permission to seek a trade. So I think this was one of the less common scenarios where Landry did have a choice. Plus the browns wouldn't have given up 2 draft picks without 100% confirmation that Landry would sign a long term deal. 

I understand that but any player under contact on any team can be traded regardless of the circumstances if the team chooses to. They can also cut them at anytime and just pay off their contract.

I am not sure if there is any NFL players who have no trade clauses in their contracts.

With that said Miami gave him permission while they don't need anyone's permission. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but any player under contact on any team can be traded regardless of the circumstances if the team chooses to. They can also cut them at anytime and just pay off their contract.

I am not sure if there is any NFL players who have no trade clauses in their contracts.

There was plenty of talk about Eli Mannings 'no trade clause' earlier this year. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No surprise it was only a 4th.  Cleveland has to spend a lot of cap to resign him.  Its either a high pick or high cap, you can't give up both for a nonQB player.

Yeah .. those that thought was going to be high probably don't spend a lot of time watching how the league works. Landry along with a franchise tag which means one year of control at about 15 million is not very "valuable. If its the first pick in the 4th round , Maimi got a very good deal .

22 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah .. those that thought was going to be high probably don't spend a lot of time watching how the league works. Landry along with a franchise tag which means one year of control at about 15 million is not very "valuable. If its the first pick in the 4th round , Maimi got a very good deal .

It's #123. Carolina's original 4th rounder.

2 minutes ago, Finball said:

It's #123. Carolina's original 4th rounder.

That makes sense as it's the 23rd pick in the 4th round. Cleveland's pick was #101 which IMO was too high for that trade. Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With that said Miami gave him permission while they don't need anyone's permission. Just saying.

I think the point in this situaion is they told Landry to go find a trade partner and once he found the deal he wanted he let the dolphins and browns deal over the price. But this was a situation where Landry was more I'm the drivers seat than a traded player normally is. 

As a general rule I agree with you. Of the team decides to trade the player, the player  cannot do anything to stop it. But the people commenting in this thread about  why landry would go to the browns are likely correct in saying that Landry chose the browns rather than the dolphins choosing the browns. Or Landry told the dolphins, "here's a short list of teams I'm interested in" and the dolphins worked out the best deal with the browns. 

47 minutes ago, J@son said:

I think the point in this situaion is they told Landry to go find a trade partner and once he found the deal he wanted he let the dolphins and browns deal over the price. But this was a situation where Landry was more I'm the drivers seat than a traded player normally is. 

As a general rule I agree with you. Of the team decides to trade the player, the player  cannot do anything to stop it. But the people commenting in this thread about  why landry would go to the browns are likely correct in saying that Landry chose the browns rather than the dolphins choosing the browns. Or Landry told the dolphins, "here's a short list of teams I'm interested in" and the dolphins worked out the best deal with the browns. 

No doubt. I think the general consensus is the Browns are working their way up to be a pretty competitive team in the next couple of years. They do have some pretty good players already on the roster and still have great picks in the draft.

Even if Dorsey hits on half of the draft and gets a couple of starters and some depth I can see a much improved team.

I guess when your at the bottom the only place to go is up. Time will tell us. I don't think their division is particularly strong as a whole so we will see.