Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian's New Job

KyFan18

This makes me laugh. I know he'll be fantastic at this job, as he's really smart, but I never thought he'd join the media full-fledged like this. He's always talking about how stupid the media and "pundits" are, and now he's one of them himself! It's a strange, strange time.

These media pundits don't have a clue whats going on in the day in the life of nfl football. He made that perfectly clear while his time was here. I assume his beliefs have not changed.

I wonder if he will be talking about the Artistry of the General Manager position. Polian, Steve Young, and Trent Dilfer should come out with a new show.

Artistry of the ______ position

This makes me laugh. I know he'll be fantastic at this job, as he's really smart, but I never thought he'd join the media full-fledged like this. He's always talking about how stupid the media and "pundits" are, and now he's one of them himself! It's a strange, strange time.

I thought he wanted to retire?

I must admit though, I like hearing what he has to say. And now that he's not a gm, he'll be more candid. Should be interesting

haha no kidding. He clearly knows his football/management/scouting, but he always hated the media. Funny to see him join them now. Regardless, I am very interested to see what kinds of things he has to say and I wish him all the best with his new job

I trust Polians views on the Manning situation more than anyone in the media, not surprising since he knows those 2 better than anyone.

But I would like the media (of which BP is now a part) to provide the objective, detached view, without the bias that personal relationships often supply.

But I would like the media (of which BP is now a part) to provide the objective, detached view, without the bias that personal relationships often supply.

most of them are certainly detached and seem to make up stories as they go. Polians view on this isn't as entertaining because its realistic. He personally knows JI and PM, knows how they think.

We often try to use cap numbers and such to make a logical conclusions but people are not that logical. Knowing what makes people tick can lead to much more accurate predictions.

I wonder what kind of behavior he will now accept from GMs that give him the BP terms, when he is now part of the media. Payback is a *****.

He only ever was standoffish with local media, for whatever reason. It wasn't that he didn't like them or mistreated them, he just had no use for them. He would often say they didn't know what they were talking about (which was often true), or he would say that their job was to talk, and his was to run the team (also true). People make it seem like he beat the media up every chance he could get. I don't think that's the case at all.

He only ever was standoffish with local media, for whatever reason. It wasn't that he didn't like them or mistreated them, he just had no use for them. He would often say they didn't know what they were talking about (which was often true), or he would say that their job was to talk, and his was to run the team (also true). People make it seem like he beat the media up every chance he could get. I don't think that's the case at all.

LOL. And now his job is to....talk.

Thats never going to happen as long as the public listening audience wants juicy gossip and sensationalism. Just look around at this board. They are providing what the general public wants. Facts and objectivity are boring to the masses who simply want to give the thumbs up.....or the thumbs down. Most people view players and teams as winners....or they suck. There is no longer is any in between. Ever hold two opposing magnets together with your fingers and then let go? In the blink of an eye, the top magnet flips over. Thats how fast this fan base will turn on Luck if he is drafted, starts, and doesn't produce. Look how fast they have turned on Peyton, the owner, the coach, the GM.....etc.

I started a thread talking about how the game of football is played. It got three legit responses and it died. At the same time. gossip threads about PM and Jim Irsay were vibrant and overflowing. Like the Eagles said, "Give us Dirty Laundry". Sad, actually.

Thats never going to happen as long as the public listening audience wants juicy gossip and sensationalism. Just look around at this board. They are providing what the general public wants. Facts and objectivity are boring to the masses who simply want to give the thumbs up.....or the thumbs down. Most people view players and teams as winners....or they suck. There is no longer is any in between. Ever hold two opposing magnets together with your fingers and then let go? In the blink of an eye, the top magnet flips over. Thats how fast this fan base will turn on Luck if he is drafted, starts, and doesn't produce. Look how fast they have turned on Peyton, the owner, the coach, the GM.....etc.

I started a thread talking about how the game of football is played. It got three legit responses and it died. At the same time. gossip threads about PM and Jim Irsay were vibrant and overflowing. Like the Eagles said, "Give us Dirty Laundry". Sad, actually.

Yes, you are correct. The news provide what the public wants. They want the emotional ups and downs from made up stories. I guess their lives are not interesting enough.

However, you make a very lucid point, that the public likes to thumb up and thumb down entries. Since when do people have a right to disapprove or approve reality? Isn't that what the news is supposed to be all about? Yes, we may dislike the possibility that PM may not be a Colt. However, we should never blind ourselves to the probability that it is very real.

BTW, I enjoyed your post about the passing tree.

Yes, you are correct. The news provide what the public wants. They want the emotional ups and downs from made up stories. I guess their lives are not interesting enough.

However, you make a very lucid point, that the public likes to thumb up and thumb down entries. Since when do people have a right to disapprove or approve reality? Isn't that what the news is supposed to be all about? Yes, we may dislike the possibility that PM may not be a Colt. However, we should never blind ourselves to the probability that it is very real.

BTW, I enjoyed your post about the passing tree.

I think everyone has always known that the team has to change for the future at some point. Peyton's injury brought the reality to us much quicker than most expected. It's a lot easier when friends part to just turn and go. What is uncomfortable is to face them stand proud until they are out of sight. I made a saying on another site, "we gnaw on the fringes, chewing on the the past in an effort to hurry the present, so we can get to the future". It kind of feels like that here.

I have said that PM will play again in the NFL...and at a high level. I hope it is here, but if it is not, I will root for him where ever he goes, sans playing us.

I think I'll post again on the football thread. Maybe we'll talk about gaps.

LOL. And now his job is to....talk.

Yeah, he's a talking head now. He never said they shouldn't be talking heads, or that they were ruining the sport or anything like that. He simply said they had their role, and that role had little to do with what happened inside the facility. So now, in his new role, he'll have little to do with what happens inside any NFL facility (except for the fact that he and his son built the Colts). People are making it seem like he cursed media types, and he didn't. He just would point out that they often didn't know what they were talking about, and their opinions were largely inconsequential.

If Bill is honest with his opinions he will be one of the best guys ESPN has in covering the sports. Say what you want about him, but he still has an amazing football mind. I know I rather listen to him any day over guys like Harrison or Bruschi.

I hope Bill can be a bit more partial then the other two.

I do find it funny how Polian bashed the media and now he is part of the media. To funny.

Kind of surprised. I expected him to head over to NFL Network if anywhere other than another front office. If the new owner in Jacksonville was smart he would have scooped him up immediately.

No NFL franchise will pick up Bill as a GM prospect because his *ic son Chris would also accompany him there as well. Chris Polian can wreck a solid football organization in record time. Look at what he did in INDY.