Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we are going to be trading back...

Something else to consider about trading back(where to and for what type of return) - word from the Browns is that they tried hard to get Michael Bennett. This means that they are still looking for high end defensive end to pair with Garrett. This means Chubb at 4 is a heavy possibility IMO. So if you trade to 5-6, where you cannot ask for a future first, but rather second+, you will likely not get Chubb and will have to choose between - a guard(Nelson), two safeties(Minkah or Derwin), two ILBs(Edmunds, Roquan)...this is 5 players.at positions of low positional value. It's also 5 players that IMO are relatively similarly valued(positional value included). This means if you trade down with Miami...  chance is you will get one of them drop to you. So you can get a player of similar value at 11 that you could get at 6, but instead of a second you get future first +. 

This is another piece to consider about trading back to 11 rather than to 5 or 6. 

I'm making a new mock off-season and spoiler alert - I think I will make it with this trade back rather than the trade back to 6 I did in the previous version. 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And you think this based on.............??

What are you reading?

I keep reading Vikings with Broncos the runner-up...

Sounds like Broncos are pulling out. I keep hearing that Zimmer wants to keep Keenum, which could be a smokescreen. But the Jets have the cap space and the need. Makes the most sense, to me.

16 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think Ballard cares about any of this. I think he will draft whoever he thinks will be the best player/value for the Colts. And I think with our move to the new system Minkah will have more value than a simple safety. He can play every single position at DB and most of them he can be elite at. He will also allow us to move him around in sub-packages and give different looks to opponents. That's if you don't think he can play outside CB... (BTW if you think Minkah cannot play CB and you are still thinking about drafting him this high, IMO you need to enter Derwin James into the conversation too, because I feel like Derwin can do pretty much everything Minkah can do and he probably has even higher potential thanks to his elite athleticism). Now if you think Minkah can play outside corner - this changes the calculation altogether and tilts the value even stronger towards Minkah. 

I definitely agree that Minkah is good but he's an awkward fit for the team. He won't play FS because we have Hooker there. He'd be a great fit at CB, but if the Colts sign a CB in the offseason, he'd just be a backup and wouldn't fit in anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sounds like Broncos are pulling out. I keep hearing that Zimmer wants to keep Keenum, which could be a smokescreen. But the Jets have the cap space and the need. Makes the most sense, to me.

Sure, but if Cousins doesn't want to go there, then Jets won't be able to sign him. I doubt Zimmer wants to keep Keenum. If he does, it's probably to start. Vikings can pay him what he wants(saw somewhere that they were offering 91 million over 3 years) and gives a legit shot at winning.

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm surprised that Elway left the bidding war for Cousins so soon. Kirk has experience & he's decent. The Broncos need that a veteran QB who can hit the ground running. The asking price for his services must have been too rich for John's salary cap blood I guess. Man, I really wanted Cousins in Denver. He could have beaten KC with a new QB, Gruden will need a yr to knock the booth/coaching rust off; Rivers would be a challenge beating him I mean...

If Cousins goes to the Jets, his name will be added to a long list of high payed QBs that never did anything meaning he can't carry a team that dismal. Isn't somebody in his camp telling Kirk that? Translation: Your career will die with the Jets. Elway or Zimmer would keep Kirk relevant. 

25 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Sure, but if Cousins doesn't want to go there, then Jets won't be able to sign him. I doubt Zimmer wants to keep Keenum. If he does, it's probably to start. Vikings can pay him what he wants(saw somewhere that they were offering 91 million over 3 years) and gives a legit shot at winning.

Why have we decided Cousins doesn't want to be there?

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Broncos just cleared $11 ml by trading Talib........

I don't think Denver has given up on Kirk Cousins.......

He's not going to the Jets because they're not built to win now....

Got to be Denver or Minnesota........The Vikings have a lot

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Broncos just cleared $11 ml by trading Talib........

I don't think Denver has given up on Kirk Cousins.......

He's not going to the Jets because they're not built to win now....

Got to be Denver or Minnesota........The Vikings have a lot

The Jets aren't that far off. They need a receiver and a RB, but mostly a QB. 

Also, Cousins #1 priority seems to be getting the most guaranteed money he can, not winning right now. 

And he could still be going to Denver, or Minny, or some other team. We'll find out in a week.

Did Kirk Cousins even talk with AZ at all? Beautiful weather out there & new HC Steve Wilks means business man. He reminds me of Mike Tomlin. He knows how to rally his men & inspire them. 

I'm shocked Cousins never sat down with their Cardinals. Their GM Steve Keim is solid at bringing in talent. Maybe Kirk felt there were too many variables with a new coaching staff or his wife didn't wanna relocate there. Who knows. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, Cousins #1 priority seems to be getting the most guaranteed money he can, not winning right now. 

And he could still be going to Denver, or Minny, or some other team. We'll find out in a week.

Yeah I thought they’d be garbage, but Bowles and that roster proved otherwise.

I still think Cousins and the Jets would be a bust , though. Just a gut feeling.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Supe, the other deal is that Denver now has 11 draft choices...and I dont think they're going to draft 11 players

Maybe I dont think Denver is out of it for Kirk but if they've been told that they are, they have accumulated a bag load of picks to move up from the No.5 slot...to 1 or 2 for a QB. There is talk about that.

That would take the  out of the free agent QB business entirely .

Its going to be an interesting week.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

and the Jets only have to convince Kirk they're built to win now...or in a year

..That $30 mil could convince Kirk to be very patient