Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Post-Combine Mock

Re-Sign: Desir, Bostic (1-yr, back-up MLB), Mingo (1-yr)

Sign: RB Dion Lewis, LB Anthony Hitchens (MLB) , OG Justin Pugh, WR Albert Wilson (reliable and productive), CB De'Shawn Shead (another Seattle CB), FS Cody Davis (Rams, placeholder for the injured Hooker).

"Losses": Melvin, Gore, Moncrief, Mewhort, Butler, Aiken

Draft:  A GM needs to have big ones, so I see little possibility that Ballard keeps the #3 pick.  He'll want Chubb badly, but assuming rumors are right and Cousins ends up in Minn., Denver and the NYJ are going to be sweating bullets at #5 and #6.  Ballard's going to roll the dice and trade down to one of those teams in a non-blockbuster trade to pick up a few more picks.  The kicker is that there are a few great consolation prizes if he should lose Chubb in the process (Nelson and Roquon).  So, I say we trade down to Elway, pick up the #5 pick, a 2nd and 3rd, and something next year (as much as we can get).  Then, we draft:

1-5) Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

2-36) D.J. Chark, WR, LSU.  Had a terrible QB in college.  Lit up the SB as the best receiver there, then rocked the combine.  6'3", 199 lbs., 4.34 forty.  You're wrong if you think this is too high. 

2-40) Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon.  I really like Denzelle Good, but he's always injured and doesn't fit the new system. (The tackles need to be in that versatile size range - every tackle on Philly is 6'6" and between 315 and 320.)  Crosby could be the RT of the now, and possibly the LT of the future.

3-67) Shaquem Griffin, LB, Central Florida.  I don't care who says he's a 4th rounder, a 227 LB who runs a 4.38 and has college tape like his is a bargain here.  I understand he did better catching the football than most LBs at the combine despite the missing hand.  I see him as our future WLB.

3-71) Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada.  Fits the mobile guard mold.  Was possibly the second best OL at the SB.

4-106) Dane Cruikshank, CB, Arizona.  His name came up at one of the All-Star games as being a surprisingly effective Seattle-style CB.  Then he ran a 4.41 forty and had a 38.5" vertical at 6'1", 209.  This is a good piece to develop.

5-142) Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame.  He mysteriously did not run or do drills at the combine, possibly b/c of an undisclosed injury.  But he was talking up his combine opportunity a day or two earlier.  Hinky.  He's a very tough, yards after contact type of runner, who also has speed.  He has some spotty vision, but at times his vision through the middle is fantastic.  I've seen him get really skinny through the middle too.  I could see him being a steal or coming to nothing, but he's a good gamble in this round.  He does bring a different running style to a backfield with Mack and Dion Lewis.  

6-181) Kentavius Street, DT, NC State.  6'2", 280 lbs.  He's the quicker, Tampa-2 type DT we got used to under Dungy.  Impressed at the East West Shrine, where observers remarked that he looked like and NFL 3-tech.

7-221) Natrell Jamerson, FS, Wisconsin.  Also impressed at East West Shrine.  HIgh character and high football IQ.  If Hooker becomes Bob Sanders-like (a difference maker who is often unavailable due to injury), maybe Jamerson could be his Melvin Bullitt.

I just don't think we will lose both Melvin and Darius Butler. I do like the Oregon OT pick, do not like the Justin Pugh OG signing in FA. I do think it will be a different OG in FA that we sign, maybe Josh Sitton???

But, given your assumptions, I would think the second round pick on a WR would still be better off spent on D, whoever the highest rated defensive player is there. With all the recent history in the NFL with Antonio Brown being a late round pick, TY being a 3rd rounder, Martavis Bryant a 4th rounder, I think we can afford to wait till round 3 to get our skill position guys. Just my two cents.

Only big issue with Chark is will he end up being another track star type of a receiver as John Ross that the Bengals drafted who can not remember the playbook and learn his routes.  Marvin Lewis has been regretting this error in draft pick...looks good on paper but need to make sure to do a full background check to see if he is the real deal.

Fast does not always translate to NFL success

9 hours ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

If we’re trading down to the 5th or 6th pick I’d hope Ballard would take the 6th. We can definitely get those two 2nd round picks from the Jets. Chubb will either still be there or he won’t, but Nelson would be and I’d still be happy 

Yeah, i’ve had that trade down to #6 in my plan at times, but I like the lesser trade now to help ensure we get Chubb.  Would be happy with #6 too, though.