Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher report has Colts taking Chub at #3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Agree. Besides, I think all of this NYG talk about not drafting a QB is preposterous. I just can't see a new GM/HC combo letting their success be dictated by some 37 year-old QB or a previous regime's 3rd round pick....they will want their own guy. They can't even afford to keep Eli and hoping that Davis Webb is the next Kirk Cousins and not the next Ryan Nassib (NYG 4th round pick in 2013) is not a really strategy.

History seems to have a way of repeating itself...and NFL owners have a funny way of wanting to go back to what works/worked. The last time they had a top 5 pick, they took Eli. And this time, the NYG will also take a QB.

Absolutely.  They are not going to pass on an opportunity to draft Eli's replacement with the 2nd. pick.  Makes no sense considering his age.  They might not get another chance to draft this high again for a long time.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Okay, but to play my hypothetical out a little bit further, I could see them not drafting a QB in the first round. They could love Mason Rudolph, and take him in the second round and sit him for one season. 

That could make sense. Let him and Webb compete for when Eli is gone after next season.

Whatever they do, it's going to have a big effect on the rest of the top 10.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A very scary thought...    the Giants might get BOTH Norwell AND Nelson.

That would be simply stunning.

They will be losing Pugh and Richburg it seems ... they would need 2 new starting interior linemen for sure. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A very scary thought...    the Giants might get BOTH Norwell AND Nelson.

That would be simply stunning.

We have more cap space we can offer more $ for norwell. 

But, yes browns draft Barkley and I believe giants draft Nelson and the browns sitting at 4 see that their QB is available as rumblings of Jets/Broncos want a QB too and want to jump to 3 call the colts and offer us their 2 second round picks to move up to 3 to get their QB! We are now at 4 ..... the broncos or jets want their QB now so they trade us their pick and a couple other second rounders .... we NOW get Chubb at 5/6 and we have a plethora of second round picks for day 2! 

20 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I know we have two huge needs on this team that overwhelm the senses, I would hope we could all agree on that and then people pine for an RB and then my hope for humanity is lost.

we dont have a starting rb either

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

hope you had a bag handy 

when people like gil brandt and others think hes a good pick for us, im not too worried about bott and rally5

The tears are flowing from my eyes.

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

hope you had a bag handy 

when people like gil brandt and others think hes a good pick for us, im not too worried about bott and rally5

It doesn't make me sick, but I would be sick with disappointment in our new GM if that was his choice considering this teams needs. 

On March 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM, LockeDown said:

The Giants are in win mode not rebuild mode.  OB healthy.  Eli with Shurmur.  Get you a couple of great Olinemen via trade and draft and you may be back in business.  

Do you really think Big Blue doesn't need a QB? Because I think Eli is basically done. One more yr in NY max. Gotta draft Easy E's replacement now. Giants are absolutely in rebuild mode. They'll take Josh Rosen I think or they should IMO LD. 

Look man, I watch the Giants faithfully. Eli's tenure in the BIG Apple is over. He's been living off beating the Pats twice in 2 SBs for far too long. 1 more season to mentor Rosen & then Eli's gotta go. I hate to say that, but the health of the franchise mandates this move. 

Whatever happened to that signing helmets scandal that wasn't game gear BTW? That story blew up all over the internet & then magically disappeared faster than it came. Does Archie Manning have that much pull with the NFL Commissioner or what? Very bizarre. 

On March 7, 2018 at 8:47 AM, MPStack said:

You lost me at Bridgewater!

On March 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Myles said:

There is still a chance the Vikings go with him.

You know what? I have no idea what Bridgewater's QB stock is. I was never huge on this kid. I didn't hate nor did I fear him under center. Is Mike Zimmer gonna ride with him moving forward? Minnesota needs Kirk Cousins now more than ever with Aaron Rodgers returning healthy in GB. I'm not saying cut Bridgewater. I'm just not convinced that he can lead Minnesota to a SB.  

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Do you really think Big Blue doesn't need a QB? Because I think Eli is basically done. One more yr in NY max. Gotta draft Easy E's replacement now. Giants are absolutely in rebuild mode. They'll take Josh Rosen I think or they should IMO LD. 

Look man, I watch the Giants faithfully. Eli's tenure in the BIG Apple is over. He's been living off beating the Pats twice in 2 SBs for far too long. 1 more season to mentor Rosen & then Eli's gotta go. I hate to say that, but the health of the franchise mandates this move. 

Whatever happened to that signing helmets scandal that wasn't game gear BTW? That story blew up all over the internet & then magically disappeared faster than it came. Does Archie Manning have that much pull with the NFL Commissioner or what? Very bizarre. 

I never thought he was that great in the first place and I think he's still the same.  Anyone could have won with that NASCAR defense. 

And I also heard some ex GM say on Sirius radio that Giants FO is in win now mode. and I kind of believed him. 

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I never thought he was that great in the first place and I think he's still the same.  Anyone could have won with that NASCAR defense. 

And I also heard some ex GM say on Sirius radio that Giants FO is in win now mode. and I kind of believed him. 

It all depends on if they like any of the QB’s. I’m not sure why people are suggesting that a franchise coming off a terrible season, that has just hired a new GM/ Head Coach , would be in “win-now mode”.

If they like a QB, they’ll take one. If not, it’s not because they have ultimate faith in Eli. Why would they? He’s 37 coming off a pretty bad season (a few really). There’s no reason for the Giants to think they’ll be picking this high again any time soon. They will absolutely explore taking a QB at #2 , it would be beyond foolish not to.

People really need to consider context and put themselves in other’s shoes.

The Giants, for the most part, are a well-run club with smart ownership , what you’re suggesting (or the guy on Sirius) would be the kind of stuff the Browns would do.

So again, if they don’t take a QB at #2 , it’s because they don’t like the top guys.

That’s it.

For no other reason than nothing has really gone right for this franchise the past few years, Im starting to think Chubb might be gone by #3. I dont think the Giants need him with JPP and Vernon locked up long term, but he may be BPA for them. I think that Barkley, Nelson or even Fitzpatrick helps them more right now if they're trying for one last run. On the other hand you dont get this opportunity for a great QB succession plan very often.

17 minutes ago, Trueman said:

It all depends on if they like any of the QB’s. I’m not sure why people are suggesting that a franchise coming off a terrible season, that has just hired a new GM/ Head Coach , would be in “win-now mode”.

If they like a QB, they’ll take one. If not, it’s not because they have ultimate faith in Eli. Why would they? He’s 37 coming off a pretty bad season (a few really). There’s no reason for the Giants to think they’ll be picking this high again any time soon. They will absolutely explore taking a QB at #2 , it would be beyond foolish not to.

People really need to consider context and put themselves in other’s shoes.

The Giants, for the most part, are a well-run club with smart ownership , what you’re suggesting (or the guy on Sirius) would be the kind of stuff the Browns would do.

So again, if they don’t take a QB at #2 , it’s because they don’t like the top guys.

That’s it.

It's because their star player was hurt and they realized they hired a bad coach.  Because they are smart, they cut bait and made a smart moves with Gettleman and Shurmer...  Ithey don't get a QB, they have high draft picks...Shurmer is good with Eli.  All of these things could point to win now mode.  There are a truckload of QBs this draft.  If they don't pick a QB, it won't be because they didn't like any of them.  I don't buy that.

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It's because their star player was hurt and they realized they hired a bad coach.  Because they are smart, they cut bait and made a smart moves with Gettleman and Shurmer...  Ithey don't get a QB, they have high draft picks...Shurmer is good with Eli.  All of these things could point to win now mode.  There are a truckload of QBs this draft.  If they don't pick a QB, it won't be because they didn't like any of them.  I don't buy that.

Believe what you want, man.

The Giants will take a QB if they feel one of the top guys is a franchise QB. You don’t pass on what you believe to be the next 15 years at your QB position if you’re really convinced by one.

Not with a QB like Eli , and certainly not at his age.

If they don’t take one at #2 , it’s because they aren’t convinced the top guys are franchise QB’s. The end.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Good post LD as usual. Uh huh. Tuck, Strahan, & JPP basically knocked Brady around & Eli made a few good throws to David Tyree, Plaico Burress, & Mario Manningham in 2 SBs. Eli gets credit for those throws sure, but it's been a long playoff drought since then. 

I like Eli, but business is business & he gets 1 more yr to mentor a rookie QB then bye bye. Giants ownership cannot keep Manning for 3 more yrs. That's organizational suicide. You had a nice run Eli. 

How old is Eli 37? 38? As you approach 40 your body recovers slower from hits & accuracy tends to decline somewhat. 

6 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Believe what you want, man.

The Giants will take a QB if they feel one of the top guys is a franchise QB. You don’t pass on what you believe to be the next 15 years at your QB position if you’re really convinced by one.

Not with a QB like Eli , and certainly not at his age.

If they don’t take one at #2 , it’s because they aren’t convinced the top guys are franchise QB’s. The end.

Then according to your theory, they don't take a QB cause they don't like any of them...who do they roll with the next year?  Eli?  A backup?  If that happens, they will have another bad season and another high pick to grab a QB, thereby deflating your theory that this is the only year they can get a high pick for a QB.  

Hey LD, 

Sorry about bringing up Eli's autograph controversy, I didn't expect you to answer that question. I just wondered what happened with that scandal & whether or not the NYG's equipment manager took the brunt of the criticism for that situation or not? We will probably never know as Big Blue fans. Oh well...

I respect you LD & I didn't want you to think that I was backing you into a corner or something. I just remember Eli being so defiant that he did nothing wrong, a guy who sells sports memorabilia threatening to sue, & then poof the whole thing went away. Somebody was handsomely compensated to walk quietly away. Such is life I guess. 

24 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Then according to your theory, they don't take a QB cause they don't like any of them...who do they roll with the next year?  Eli?  A backup?  If that happens, they will have another bad season and another high pick to grab a QB, thereby deflating your theory that this is the only year they can get a high pick for a QB.  

Yeah... I’m not sure you’re grasping what I’m saying.

Just because they don’t think there’s a franchise QB worthy of the 2nd pick , doesn’t mean they won’t roll with Eli , nor does it mean they won’t consider drafting/signing/trading for one in the next two off-seasons.

It just means they don’t like a guy enough to justify using the 2nd overall selection.

”If that happens, they will have another bad season and another high pick to grab a QB”.......What? Aren’t you trying to tell me they feel comfortable with Eli?

Deflating what? My “theory” isn’t that this is the only year for them to get a high pick for a QB. That’s not what I’m saying at all, if anything is being deflated it’s my belief that you understand.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Hey LD, 

Sorry about bringing up Eli's autograph controversy, I didn't expect you to answer that question. I just wondered what happened with that scandal & whether or not the NYG's equipment manager took the brunt of the criticism for that situation or not? We will probably never know as Big Blue fans. Oh well...

I respect you LD & I didn't want you to think that I was backing you into a corner or something. I just remember Eli being so defiant that he did nothing wrong, a guy who sells sports memorabilia threatening to sue, & then poof the whole thing went away. Somebody was handsomely compensated to walk quietly away. Such is life I guess. 

You didn't back me in a corner.  I don't know what happened with that either, but handsome compensation can solve a problem like that :) 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You know what? I have no idea what Bridgewater's QB stock is. I was never huge on this kid. I didn't hate nor did I fear him under center. Is Mike Zimmer gonna ride with him moving forward? Minnesota needs Kirk Cousins now more than ever with Aaron Rodgers returning healthy in GB. I'm not saying cut Bridgewater. I'm just not convinced that he can lead Minnesota to a SB.  

He is a FA. He was mediocre at best before the injury. If you research TB you'll find he just wasn’t very good. The year he went to the Pro Bowl, none of the 1 or 2 Tier QBs attended. Also, he was the 22nd ranked QB. A lot of TB homers fail to recognize that. All the while having A. Pederson having a career year. Two seasons as a starting QB and averaged less than a TDP a game. 87 career QB rating. Anyways, idon’t get nor see any magic from TB. Nice college career that didn’t translate to NFL success. 

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I agree with you 100% that giants NEED and SHOULD draft a QB. And there will be some good ones there for them to take.

But I don't think they draft a qb. I don't think Eli or tha Manning family will like Eli looking over his shoulders at a young hot shot waiting to take his place. They would maybe feel it's Disrespectful to Eli. You seen what happened last time Eli & family were disrespected(when McAdoo benched him)? Coach fired and Eli was back starting.

Also Barkley is a icon. It's more profitable for the league, Advertisers, networks for him to be in NY rather than Cleveland or Indy.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I agree with you 100% that giants NEED and SHOULD draft a QB. And there will be some good ones there for them to take.

But I don't think they draft a qb. I don't think Eli or tha Manning family will like Eli looking over his shoulders at a young hot shot waiting to take his place. They would maybe feel it's Disrespectful to Eli. You seen what happened last time Eli & family were disrespected(when McAdoo benched him)? Coach fired and Eli was back starting.

Also Barkley is a icon. It's more profitable for the league, Advertisers, networks for him to be in NY rather than Cleveland or Indy.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Exactly LJ, if Giants ownership doesn't take a QB this yr that team is gonna pay the price moving forward & experience an even longer playoff drought. Initially, when Eli got benched I felt sorry for the guy since it wasn't all Manning's fault. He wasn't playing well though & he needed to get benched. I like Eli but when he's playing lousy I'll say it. 

Yeah, it looks like Barkley is going to the Big Apple. The Browns fervor is all smokescreen distraction nonsense to me. 

I don't think LT Eric Flowers has improved either. My God he is horrible. SMH...