Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher report has Colts taking Chub at #3

I'd rather have Nelson myself, but I'm surprised to see they have him going to the Giants.  

If #1 and #2 go like that, the Colts should definitely get some decent offers to trade back.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762798-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-7-round-predictions-post-combine

1. Cleveland Browns

1 of 38

7bc323dd22a75cd8db0026e2c76545c5_crop_ex
Darron Cummings/Associated Press

The Pick: RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Not a quarterback?

Nope.

New general manager John Dorsey needs to completely overhaul a roster that won one game in the last two years, and the best way to do that is by selecting the best player overall at each selection. Penn State's Saquon Barkley is the draft's best player and gives the Browns an instant-impact offensive weapon who will fit perfectly behind an already solid offensive line.

With future picks at No. 4, No. 33 and No. 35 overall, the Browns have ammunition to still get a starting quarterback in a draft that doesn't yet have a definitive QB1.

2. New York Giants

2 of 38

99ac33dd18d09462f98861bde9b72cdd_crop_ex
Michael Conroy/Associated Press

The Pick: OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

The New York Giants could use this pick on a quarterback of the future, but I believe this front office has faith in Eli Manning for a few more seasons and likes the development potential of Davis Webb. With those two on the roster, there is no pressure to immediately address quarterback.

The Giants would love to see Barkley here, but even if he's gone they can still get a player some scouts I've talked to feel is the best and safest in the class. Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson looks like an All-Pro-caliber guard coming out of South Bend. He's big (6'5", 325 lbs), a mauler in the run game and a very smooth mover in both the run and pass game.

Nelson isn't a sexy pick, but the Giants can both protect Manning and solve some run-game issues with this pick.

3. Indianapolis Colts

3 of 38

51a0d24d481d3dc9d2f020d18819912f_crop_ex
Darron Cummings/Associated Press

The Pick: EDGE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

This is almost too good to be true for fans of the Indianapolis Colts.

A team with a massive need for a pass-rusher lands the best in the class and a truly special player in Bradley Chubb. My first comparison was Joey Bosa, and after a very strong combine he did little to change that opinion. 

Chubb is an ideal fit coming off the right side of the Colts defense. He's a big man (6'4", 269 lbs) with excellent agility and use of his 34-inch arms. In a 4-3 base defense, Chubb will be the wrecking ball new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus needs to dominate.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows until draft day. But I think it's pretty strong that we take Chubb. Nelson going before Chubb would be pretty eye opening considering he's a guard and the browns need a QB. Wonder if they will sign Mccaron? 

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Nobody knows until draft day. But I think it's pretty strong that we take Chubb. Nelson going before Chubb would be pretty eye opening considering he's a guard and the browns need a QB. Wonder if they will sign Mccaron? 

With Bridgewater, Cousins McCaron and others out there, a couple of the 4 QB's may drop into the 2nd round. 

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Its all PURE SPECULATION based off people guessing. No one knows at this point. Plus, the Panthers can still tag him in the next hour.

If even close, if market rate is near 55M over 5 years that's incredible and really shows the void in OL talent available.  I'm really hoping to land one top tier FA OL or we still have a big problem up front.

So let me get this straight....

Some fans think Chubb goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

Some fans think Barkley goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

Some fans think Nelson goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

At least we're all together on this.

8 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

I just found an article...yikes 11M PY estimated....massive payday, I didn't see that coming.  Good time to be an NFL offensive linemen.

I'd be shocked if Norwell ONLY cost 11M a year.

Zeitler got 5 yrs, $60M w over $30M guaranteed and the salary cap has gone up again and teams have money to spend.

I would consider it a value to only spend $11M a year on Norwell.

With his teammate Trai Turner even getting 4 yrs and $45M, I see Norwell around $13-$14M a year for 4-5 years.

As is often said, free agency is a service in overpaying. You are competing for guys. Ang you are often paying for what a guy has done AND what he might do.

If a guy has stepped up and played well you are paying him for it. If he hasn't stepped up but has potential, you pay for that too. If he has stepped up and performed and is still young enough to have growth potential too, you pay for both.

So it seems very rare that a guy is signed to a team-friendly long term deal.

I would love Norwell. But i think it has always been a pipe-dream to get him. Just like how I wanted Alex Mack a few years back badly. He got 5 years and $45M and i remember people saying "oh god thats so much. they overpaid".....well by today's standards it isn't so bad now. And he turned that Falcons team around and has earned it.

That said, I wanted him and was disappointed we did not get him. I want Norwell and I am sure I will be disappointed when we do not get him too. I just hope we get some solid guys w upside instead.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

So let me gt this straight....

Some fans think Chubb goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

Some fans think Barkley goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

Some fans think Nelson goes before us, others want us to trade out of the slot rather than take him....

We have no idea what the internal dialogue sounds like, we don't do the interviews, we don't know the FA strategy, we don't know what the new coaches think about the film, we don't know what may or may not avail itself on draft day. Fans have no clue about who will be picked.  In some form we must address Oline and pass rush, we do know that...

3 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Zeitler got 5 yrs, $60M w over $30M guaranteed and the salary cap has gone up again and teams have money to spend.

With his teammate Trai Turner even getting 4 yrs and $45M, I see Norwell around $13-$14M a year for 4-5 years.

As is often said, free agency is a service in overpaying. You are competing for guys. Ang you are often paying for what a guy has done AND what he might do.

If a guy has stepped up and played well you are paying him for it. If he hasn't stepped up but has potential, you pay for that too. If he has stepped up and performed and is still young enough to have growth potential too, you pay for both.

I would love Norwell. But i think it has always been a pipe-dream to get him. Just like how I wanted Alex Mack a few years back badly. He got 5 years and $45M and i remember people saying "oh god thats so much. they overpaid".....well by today's standards it isn't so bad now. And he turned that Falcons team around and has earned it.

That said, I wanted him and was disappointed we did not get him. I want Norwell and I am sure I will be disappointed when we do not get him too. I just hope we get some solid guys w upside instead.

Yeah, correct on all points.

3 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

We have no idea what the internal dialogue sounds like, we don't do the interviews, we don't know the FA strategy, we don't know what the new coaches think about the film, we don't know what may or may not avail itself on draft day. Fans have no clue about who will be picked.  In some form we must address Oline and pass rush, we do know that...

Of course we don't. I was merely expressing a common theme, that we agree on nothing regarding this years first selection. BTW, I mentioned nothing about what the team thought, did, planned etc. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Of course we don't. I was merely expressing a common theme, that we agree on nothing regarding this years first selection. 

I know we have two huge needs on this team that overwhelm the senses, I would hope we could all agree on that and then people pine for an RB and then my hope for humanity is lost.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

They have to fix the offensive line first.   Nothing else matters if they cannot do that.  Luck must be protected.   We have seen what a season looks like without him.  

Well, on the bright side, we'd probably net two high draft picks if he missed another season, amirite?

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Makes me wonder that if they do get Norwell will they still select Nelson at #2.

I guess we shall see.

If they sign Norwell, they'll for sure lose Pugh and Richberg. So I would say it's still possible. Their line needs a ton of work. I still say if Barkley goes #1 and NYG doesn't like any of the QB's they trade down with Denver or the Jets.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

They have to fix the offensive line first.   Nothing else matters if they cannot do that.  Luck must be protected.   We have seen what a season looks like without him.  

Some still don't quite get that point, or at least show no urgency to fix the issue. I agree, with no Luck we aren't doing that hot for at least a few years. We need him back and playing well to truly compete, and we will need an Oline to ensure he stays that way. We won with him even when we couldn't protect him, and our division is much better than it has been. While I get we have some other needs, this has to be a priority. I would be ecstatic with Nelson or Chubb at number 3.

2 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

Some still don't quite get that point, or at least show no urgency to fix the issue. I agree, with no Luck we aren't doing that hot for at least a few years. We need him back and playing well to truly compete, and we will need an Oline to ensure he stays that way. We won with him even when we couldn't protect him, and our division is much better than it has been. While I get we have some other needs, this has to be a priority. I would be ecstatic with Nelson or Chubb at number 3.

The only way I'd be happy with Chubb is if we have the line solidified by draft time.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think they draft Nelson if they sign Norwell.

Agree. Besides, I think all of this NYG talk about not drafting a QB is preposterous. I just can't see a new GM/HC combo letting their success be dictated by some 37 year-old QB or a previous regime's 3rd round pick....they will want their own guy. They can't even afford to keep Eli and hoping that Davis Webb is the next Kirk Cousins and not the next Ryan Nassib (NYG 4th round pick in 2013) is not a really strategy.

History seems to have a way of repeating itself...and NFL owners have a funny way of wanting to go back to what works/worked. The last time they had a top 5 pick, they took Eli. And this time, the NYG will also take a QB.

I think Nelson before Chubb is a little out there, especially if the Giants sign Norwell, but what I worry about is us getting cute, and trading back, JUST A LITTLE BIT, because we know we can get Norwell, or Chubb later, then losing both of them. 

THEN WHAT. Trade down again?

On another thought, heck with the Giants, WE could end up with Fulton and Nelson.

That'd be O.K.

10 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I think Nelson before Chubb is a little out there, especially if the Giants sign Norwell, but what I worry about is us getting cute, and trading back, JUST A LITTLE BIT, because we know we can get Norwell, or Chubb later, then losing both of them. 

THEN WHAT. Trade down again?

On another thought, heck with the Giants, WE could end up with Fulton and Nelson.

That'd be O.K.

Nelson is not flashy, but he is solid.   Pass blocker, run blocker.   He could improve the team more than any other player.  

52 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Mack is probably one of the more successful FA signings of this decade. I was all-in on signing Mack at the time as well. It wasn't a popular opinion as nearly everyone wanted to draft Kelly instead. Of course, knowing what we know now, it didn't really matter, but that's not really the point.

The point is that when good OL players (especially interior) become available, you sign them if you can. It worked for ATL with Mack...it worked for PHI with Brooks...it worked for DET with Warford and Wagner...it worked for OAK with Osemele and Hudson...and it has worked for other teams as well. Sure, they aren't cheap...but they are about as safe of a bet as you can get...and they reduce the need to use precious 1st round picks on OL players that have to be developed.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the Colts in recent years is their failure to address the OL in FA. I was hoping Ballard would change that...but so far we haven't seen it. This offseason will be telling.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Mack is probably one of the more successful FA signings of this decade. I was all-in on signing Mack at the time as well. It wasn't a popular opinion as nearly everyone wanted to draft Kelly instead. Of course, knowing what we know now, it didn't really matter, but that's not really the point.

The point is that when good OL players (especially interior) become available, you sign them if you can. It worked for ATL with Mack...it worked for PHI with Brooks...it worked for DET with Warford and Wagner...it worked for OAK with Osemele and Hudson...and it has worked for other teams as well. Sure, they aren't cheap...but they are about as safe of a bet as you can get...and they reduce the need to use precious 1st round picks on OL players that have to be developed.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the Colts in recent years is their failure to address the OL in FA. I was hoping Ballard would change that...but so far we haven't seen it. This offseason will be telling.

Couldn't agree more.

And despite something like $12M-$14M a year being a lot for a guy like Norwell, I would gladly pay it knowing that it fixes a major issue and allows us (if there and if we choose) to go after a guy like Chubb and not feel forced to go for Nelson (though I would be totally cool w Nelson too). If a top-of-the-line OG goes for what a middle-of-the-pack pass rusher such as Nick Perry went for, then I say finally invest some money there and then give yourself even more flexibility in the draft.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If they sign Norwell, they'll for sure lose Pugh and Richberg. So I would say it's still possible. Their line needs a ton of work. I still say if Barkley goes #1 and NYG doesn't like any of the QB's they trade down with Denver or the Jets.

Yeah & I hope we don't go ga ga over Pugh. His back issues concern me a great deal.

I could see the Broncos grabbing Chubb.

They have to consider the idea of having Garrett and Chubb terrorising opposing O-lines and QB's together.

It could be a kind of Freeney/Mathis 2.0 partnership, and that would be intruiging for them. I think.

But who knows if they grab Barkley or a QB. Who knows, maybe they'll even trade out of number 1, if they'll get a great deal, like maybe the Bills offering their two first rounders.

Lots could happen.

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

So let me gt this straight....

Fans don't think, they scream!!

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Agree. Besides, I think all of this NYG talk about not drafting a QB is preposterous. I just can't see a new GM/HC combo letting their success be dictated by some 37 year-old QB or a previous regime's 3rd round pick....they will want their own guy. They can't even afford to keep Eli and hoping that Davis Webb is the next Kirk Cousins and not the next Ryan Nassib (NYG 4th round pick in 2013) is not a really strategy.

History seems to have a way of repeating itself...and NFL owners have a funny way of wanting to go back to what works/worked. The last time they had a top 5 pick, they took Eli. And this time, the NYG will also take a QB.

I could see the Giants not drafting a QB at #2. I'm not sure any of the QBs are worthy of #2, or must-have guys at the top of the draft. I feel like Darnold is the best QB, and I think he's the fifth best player in this draft, behind Barkley, Chubb, Nelson and Fitzpatrick. They could trade down and still get their guy, especially if they like Allen, who might be there at #7 or #8. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I could see the Giants not drafting a QB at #2. I'm not sure any of the QBs are worthy of #2, or must-have guys at the top of the draft. I feel like Darnold is the best QB, and I think he's the fifth best player in this draft, behind Barkley, Chubb, Nelson and Fitzpatrick. They could trade down and still get their guy, especially if they like Allen, who might be there at #7 or #8. 

That would still be them drafting a QB though. I just think if they want one of those QBs, they won't mess around. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

That would still be them drafting a QB though. I just think if they want one of those QBs, they won't mess around. 

Okay, but to play my hypothetical out a little bit further, I could see them not drafting a QB in the first round. They could love Mason Rudolph, and take him in the second round and sit him for one season. 

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

So let me get this straight....

Murica!

2 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

I could see the Broncos grabbing Chubb.

They have to consider the idea of having Garrett and Chubb terrorising opposing O-lines and QB's together.

It could be a kind of Freeney/Mathis 2.0 partnership, and that would be intruiging for them. I think.

But who knows if they grab Barkley or a QB. Who knows, maybe they'll even trade out of number 1, if they'll get a great deal, like maybe the Bills offering their two first rounders.

Lots could happen.

Umm...Broncos have garrett???  When did they trade for Garrett? :thinking:

NYG isn't going to take a QB at #2.  They couldn't start him ahead of Eli yet, but they also can't let a #2 pick sit on the bench.  Not to mention there is no clear great QB.  They should draft a QB like Simonek in the 4th.

The idea of Barkley going 1 and Chubb 2 looks good.  NYG could figure on taking Price with their second rounder. 

And we swap with Cleveland and take Nelson at 4.