Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Sando, ESPN Insider] Among trade possibilities thrown around by NFL Execs: OT Cordy Glenn to the Colts for late round considerations

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Probably not at tackle, G/C for sure

Well at least not and protect Luck....remember we started Kelly, Haeg, and Clark at the same time a couple years ago...heck we even started Blythe at guard a couple games. So if we can start that many rookies I think we can start a rookie even if it isn't Nelson this year. I've been keeping a close eye on Kolton Miller from UCLA...he had a good combine and might be a good prospect for RT if he gets a little stronger.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well at least not and protect Luck....remember we started Kelly, Haeg, and Clark at the same time a couple years ago...heck we even started Blythe at guard a couple games. So if we can start that many rookies I think we can start a rookie even if it isn't Nelson this year. I've been keeping a close eye on Kolton Miller from UCLA...he had a good combine and might be a good prospect for RT if he gets a little stronger.

Not saying that a rookie won’t start but unlike mid round Interior OL prospects most Mid Round OT prospects have some kind of flaw and often are not Day 1 Ready

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not saying that a rookie won’t start but unlike mid round Interior OL prospects most Mid Round OT prospects have some kind of flaw and often are not Day 1 Ready

And yet we've started them in the past...hope that isn't the case this year but I agree...especially with the later round prospects they have some pretty big red flags. Obviously for Andrews health and our success I hope we can sure up the line with veterans and maybe plug in an early round lineman to fill out the roster. We have some guys with experience from last year....at least it shouldn't get worse.

Just now, dgambill said:

And yet we've started them in the past...hope that isn't the case this year but I agree...especially with the later round prospects they have some pretty big red flags. Obviously for Andrews health and our success I hope we can sure up the line with veterans and maybe plug in an early round lineman to fill out the roster. We have some guys with experience from last year....at least it shouldn't get worse.

A lot of the starting rookies who were not ready and/or NFL caliber had to do with FA misses by a certain GM

I am all for leveraging the cap space into getting talented players already on contract. I think there could other opportunities as well.

That said, Glenn's contract would be pretty steep for a RT. Currently, that would put him behind only Lane Johnson. If he was currently a FA, would you give him a 3-year $34M contract wiith an out after one year to play RT? 

I would have to be convinced he was healthy...otherwise all you get is an expensive RT who only plays a handful of games and is gone after one year.

But if he is healthy, it would be nice to have the bookends locked up for the next two seasons.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

A lot of the starting rookies who were not ready and/or NFL caliber had to do with FA misses by a certain GM

Yep. He who should not be named....it's like saying Beatlejuice three times....all heck breaks loose in a thread once his name comes up lol. At this point I think Miller is projected late 1st early 2nd round pick. I think especially after Orlando Brown's performance at the combine he certainly has leap frogged him. I'd say Miller is right behind McGlinchey and Williams now as far as right tackles are concerned...I don't think we have any day 1 left tackles in the draft for certain.

23 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That said, Glenn's contract would be pretty steep for a RT. Currently, that would put him behind only Lane Johnson. If he was currently a FA, would you give him a 3-year $34M contract wiith an out after one year to play RT? 

Not to mention that he hasn't played RT before. It's usually not easy to switch sides like that this late into a career.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep. He who should not be named....it's like saying Beatlejuice three times....all heck breaks loose in a thread once his name comes up lol. At this point I think Miller is projected late 1st early 2nd round pick. I think especially after Orlando Brown's performance at the combine he certainly has leap frogged him. I'd say Miller is right behind McGlinchey and Williams now as far as right tackles are concerned...I don't think we have any day 1 left tackles in the draft for certain.

The only way one of those guys will be available at our pick in Round 2 is if there is a run on a certain position that pushes them down

22 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Remember guys: A 6th is worth far more with Ballard than Grigson.

Is it? I would think the difference in value would be largely negligible when it comes to getting talented players.

What I might buy is that a 6th round pick is more valuable with this coaching staff instead of Pagano and his staff...because there's a better chance a project player develops.

4 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Based on GM talent, of course. Unless you're one of those people who liked Grigson...

Nope, but Ballard has never drafted anyone in the 6th round so there is no bases for that statement.

As an example, Polian was a great GM and great at finding talent in the lower rounds... but he was terrible with his 5th round selections.  The only 5th round selections that became any good were Mathis and Jake Scott.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have a feeling that the injury issues have to do with each and playing in Buffalo 

What does Buffalo have to do with his health? We have a longer playoff drought than they do so I can’t imagine you’re saying they’re an inept franchise. 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As I have said before in this thread I prefer any production that CG could give us than no guaranteed production from a 6th Rounder this year

There is no guaranteed production from a recently oft injured tackle who has missed half his games in the last two years.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

It's presented as 'trade ideas' being tossed around by NFL execs. So it's somewhere in between pure speculation and educated prediction IMO. 

That's the thing.  If the true source of this article is what NFL execs think, there may be some real chatter about it by people who matter. 

Those guys don't talk about speculations like a fan does with a fantasy football hobby.

Honestly, both Good and Haeg looked a lot better at tackle than they did at guard. I would feel pretty good about going into next year with them holding down that spot. Both guard positions are more important to address this offseason, although I’ve always felt Glenn would be a very good guard. I wanted to draft him instead of Fleener in 2012. 

Glenn's contract actually isn't too bad. Buffalo would be responsible for all the signing bonus remaining. So, Glenn would be $3.2m cheaper per year. 

Would do that deal all day.

Signed up for that post. Read all the time guys, for many years. Was on a different site for almost 10yrs, but that site started going down hill. So I had to move on.

Football off-season is almost as good as the regular season for me. Can't wait to interact with a you guys on some of the upcoming decisions and moves.

Which makes this speculation a little less believable for me.

Buffalo would only save $150,000 by trading him.

As he is owed $11.25m and has a dead cap of $11.1m.

That doesn't make much sense, unless there is some other issue going on. Injuries I can see, but still, to pay someone $11.1m to go away and only save $150k doesn't add up.

Edit: I guess looking at contract again. The could save $2m more if they trade him before 3/18. That is when his next roster bonus is due, we would be responsible for that if he is moved prior to 3/18.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

So we are just giving up on LeRaven Clark? The guy with great measurables who was raw? It's been 2 seasons...3rd rd pick wasted??

Forcing him to justify his roster spot isn't giving up on him. He has to get in where he fits in, and if he can't, adios. He's had plenty of chances the last two years, and hasn't been good, IMO.

6 hours ago, Str8himalaya said:

I'm not sure anyone is willing to move on from Mewhort. I actually think we should resign him for the same reasons I think we should trade a 6th for Glenn: They are both talented lineman that, when healthy, could greatly improve our offense. The big thing is, you have to make sure to have solid depth behind them to protect yourself from being in big trouble if they get hurt. This has been the issue on our Oline for a while, Mewhort gets hurt and we can't compensate with good depth behind him. I would take a flier on both and make sure we can get out of the situation if things don't work out (clauses in contracts, etc). If they do come back healthy, you're talking about a big improvement across our weakest area. Add in a FA guard or Nelson in the draft and you could have a strength in an area that was a weakness. 

I 100 % agree!

16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

A Proven NFL player could start from Day 1 while a potential 6th Rounder could sit for multiple years or even get cut

If those elements were all there was to it, sure - do that in a heart beat.

But that is fan-thinking and not the way an NFL GM thinks.  Glenn is super-expensive and comes with a really dicey injury history.  Teams have actuarial tables on age and injuries based on position and when a player starts down an injury path, the odds are good they stay on that path.  

Would be very surprised if Ballard would do such a trade at it current cost.