Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Sando, ESPN Insider] Among trade possibilities thrown around by NFL Execs: OT Cordy Glenn to the Colts for late round considerations

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/22659098/nfl-trades-happen-2018-offseason-according-execs

OT Cordy Glenn from Buffalo to Indianapolis for late-round considerations;

Would you do that? For lets say a 6th round pick? 

Glenn is paid 11.25M this year and is locked for 2 more years at 9.25M in 2019 and 9.5M in 2020. Also there is an out in the contract after the current year if we are not happy with his performance.

(here's his contract if you want to see it - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cordy-glenn-9851/ ) 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/22659098/nfl-trades-happen-2018-offseason-according-execs

Would you do that? For lets say a 6th round pick? 

Glenn is paid 11.25M this year and is locked for 2 more years at 9.25M in 2019 and 9.5M in 2020. Also there is an out in the contract after the current year if we are not happy with his performance.

(here's his contract if you want to see it - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cordy-glenn-9851/ ) 

100% would do it for a 6th. We could easily get that back in the draft as well. Solid player that fills a position of need. Glenn probably has 5 good years left as well.

4 minutes ago, MTC said:

I'm confused with the article. Are these *educated* predictions or pure speculation?

It's presented as 'trade ideas' being tossed around by NFL execs. So it's somewhere in between pure speculation and educated prediction IMO. 

7 minutes ago, MTC said:

I'm confused with the article. Are these *educated* predictions or pure speculation?

I have a feeling if the writer could have gotten "spit-balling" past his editor that is what would have been in the title. Also....I get the feeling "NFL Execs" is a term used all too loosely! I mean are we counting the the mail boy as executive in the communications department now?? Just wondering. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's a ton of cash...and Glenn hasn't played half the games the last two years. Definitely need a full medical on that one.

Thanks...    that's good info...    I did not know that...    did not double check....

My bad...

Yes....    Glenn would have to clear a physical for me to have any interest...

My decision would be on hold pending the results of the physical....

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

A 6th isn't much to give up but Cordy Glenn's health is just a big issue in general. He's definitely a talent but availability is huge for our O-line.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/cordy-glenn-player-injuries

Thanks.....    so I've changed my mind....

Foot...   ankle....   back injuries....

Glenn has only started 16 games out of the last two seasons.   16 of 32.

I'll pass...

For a 6th rounder and the performance clause supposedly in his contract, I would do this in a heartbeat. If he continues to get hurt and under perform you cut him lose and you lost a 6th rounder. We blew a 4th on a guy that didn't even make our week one roster last year. It's a low risk high reward (relatively) situation. I would do it if anything just to kick the tires. I would still have a good plan to fill in for him in that case, much like resigning Mewhort.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.....    so be changed my mind....

Foot...   ankle....   back injuries....

I'll pass...

If we based desire for a player on injury alone teams would not be able to fill a roster since major injuries happen at every level

F.E. 

I suffered a debilitating injury every year of HS

We would a 6th for a “prove it deal” player with the cap space

If he passes a physical then the trade is possible, nothing is possible until then though.  That being said, with the injuries we always have with our guys, I might want to look for someone who can stay on the field.  There is a reason a team gets rid of guys like this.  Especially for a possible 6th rounder.

Contract wise, if we were to get him, could easily be reworked to help cap hits.

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If we based desire for a player on injury alone teams would not be able to fill a roster since major injuries happen at every level

F.E. 

I suffered a debilitating injury every year of HS

We would a 6th for a “prove it deal” player with the cap space

When you're 6'6" and 345 and you have a history of playing every game then suddenly for two straight years you struggle to play HALF the games that's a HUGE red flag.

Feet...   ankle...   back....     they typically don't get better..

So we're ready to move in from Mewhirt due to his injuries but we're ready to give up a 6 and pay big money for an expensive right tackle?

Not me....

When you're 6'6" and 345 and you have a history of playing every game then suddenly fir two straight years you struggle to play HALF the games that's a HUGE red flag.

So we're ready to move in from Mewhirt due to his injuries but we're ready to give up a 6 and pay big money for an expensive right tackle?

Not me....

I'm not sure anyone is willing to move on from Mewhort. I actually think we should resign him for the same reasons I think we should trade a 6th for Glenn: They are both talented lineman that, when healthy, could greatly improve our offense. The big thing is, you have to make sure to have solid depth behind them to protect yourself from being in big trouble if they get hurt. This has been the issue on our Oline for a while, Mewhort gets hurt and we can't compensate with good depth behind him. I would take a flier on both and make sure we can get out of the situation if things don't work out (clauses in contracts, etc). If they do come back healthy, you're talking about a big improvement across our weakest area. Add in a FA guard or Nelson in the draft and you could have a strength in an area that was a weakness. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you're 6'6" and 345 and you have a history of playing every game then suddenly fir two straight years you struggle to play HALF the games that's a HUGE red flag.

Not me....

A Proven NFL player could start from Day 1 while a potential 6th Rounder could sit for multiple years or even get cut

6 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

I'm not sure anyone is willing to move on from Mewhort. I actually think we should resign him for the same reasons I think we should trade a 6th for Glenn: They are both talented lineman that, when healthy, could greatly improve our offense. The big thing is, you have to make sure to have solid depth behind them to protect yourself from being in big trouble if they get hurt. This has been the issue on our Oline for a while, Mewhort gets hurt and we can't compensate with good depth behind him. I would take a flier on both and make sure we can get out of the situation if things don't work out (clauses in contracts, etc). If they do come back healthy, you're talking about a big improvement across our weakest area. Add in a FA guard or Nelson in the draft and you could have a strength in an area that was a weakness. 

The other thing that I see as a positive is that it allows Haeg, Clark, and/or Good to focus on OG 

13 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

You write about making sure we have good depth like thus is the first time anyone has thought about that!  

You know...   a V-8 moment!

The Colts have had this problem?   So have the other 31 teams...   Every team is looking for all the OL talent it can find.   That's why the Colts spent a 1, 3, 5, and 7 in a single draft two years ago.

Thete are just not 300 quality O-lineman for the 32 NFL teams.

You want to bring back Mewhort AND  trade for GLENN?   What happens when your starters get hurt?

This is why we covet Norwell and Nelson. 

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

A Proven NFL player could start from Day 1 while a potential 6th Rounder could sit for multiple years or even get cut

Yeah..    he could...

Just like he could have last year...   but didn't..   he started 5 games.

Just line he could have two years ago...   but didn't.   He started 11 games.

You're wishing and hoping..

13 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

Last word on Mewhort was that he was still contemplating retirement.  His knees are going to get any better.

Yeah..    he could...

Just like he could have last year...   but didn't..   he started 5 games.

Just line he could have two years ago...   but didn't.   He started 11 games.

You're wishing and hoping..

Welcome to Sports and life because every coach etc does it

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you're 6'6" and 345 and you have a history of playing every game then suddenly for two straight years you struggle to play HALF the games that's a HUGE red flag.

Not me....

I'm not so sure its US moving on from Mewhort but him moving on from the game on his own accord.  You dont dump big money into a guy that is considering retiring at a young age due to injuries.  

51 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If he would pass a Physical the contract can be worked with

Of course...but he has a lot of guaranteed money down the line there and has missed a lot of games the last couple seasons. He may be able to pass a physical but to me that doesn't mean he will hold up. That said once he is ours we can rework a contract of course.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Of course...but he has a lot of guaranteed money down the line there and has missed a lot of games the last couple seasons. He may be able to pass a physical but to me that doesn't mean he will hold up. That said once he is ours we can rework a contract of course.

As I said earlier any production could be better than what we might get from a 6th Rounder

I will say this. I'm more worried about RT than either of our guard positions. Haeg has been admirable out there but I don't think he was ever projected to be a starting tackle...I'm pretty sure they were hoping for guard/swing tackle. We keep praying for Clark to take that jump as he was projected to but it just may not happen. So the idea of going after a starting tackle doesn't bother me I just don't want to end up with another Gosdner situation. I think we could add starter quality right away in this draft if we land one of the early round interior lineman prospects.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I will say this. I'm more worried about RT than either of our guard positions. Haeg has been admirable out there but I don't think he was ever projected to be a starting tackle...I'm pretty sure they were hoping for guard/swing tackle. We keep praying for Clark to take that jump as he was projected to but it just may not happen. So the idea of going after a starting tackle doesn't bother me I just don't want to end up with another Gosdner situation. I think we could add starter quality right away in this draft if we land one of the early round interior lineman prospects.

Probably not at tackle, G/C for sure

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

As I said earlier any production could be better than what we might get from a 6th Rounder

Of course..from that aspect I certainly agree. Just having a hard time getting excited over a guy that hasn't stayed on the field the last two years with a hefty contract left. Of course we would do our due diligence with medical but there are plenty of pump your breaks stuff here and I was just letting some know that if we go in a different direction why we might pass on a former pro bowler at OL when only a 6th is being discussed. I think the pick has much less to do with the decision then health/contract. But I'm with you Tiger!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course..from that aspect I certainly agree. Just having a hard time getting excited over a guy that hasn't stayed on the field the last two years with a hefty contract left. Of course we would do our due diligence with medical but there are plenty of pump your breaks stuff here and I was just letting some know that if we go in a different direction why we might pass on a former pro bowler at OL when only a 6th is being discussed. I think the pick has much less to do with the decision then health/contract. But I'm with you Tiger!

I have a feeling that the injury issues have to do with each and playing in Buffalo