Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston Defensive Tackle Ed Oliver Declares for 2019 NFL Draft

This is kind of funny. 2018 draft is still not over and Ed Oliver has already declared for the next year's draft:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/03/05/houston-ed-oliver-nfl-draft-2019

Houston Defensive Tackle Ed Oliver Declares for 2019 NFL Draft

By DAN GARTLAND 
March 05, 2018

Houston just opened spring practice on Monday and star defensive lineman Ed Oliver has already declared for the 2019 NFL draft. 

“I do plan on leaving,” Oliver told reporters. “I wish I could stay another year, but it’s my time to go.”

Oliver would have been a top pick if he’d been eligible for the draft this year but will have to settle for the 2019 draft, where’s projected as possibly the No. 1 pick.

Oliver has astonishing athleticism for a 290-pound interior lineman, with the speed to chase down running backs from behind. He won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman in 2017, becoming the first freshman or sophomore to win the award. He was also a finalist for the Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in the nation but lost to NC State’s Bradley Chubb, a likely top-five pick in this year’s draft. 

Oliver may have made up his mind regarding his future but he isn’t looking past college just yet. He said Monday that he hopes to win the Heisman Trophy this year. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah next year’s Defensive line class is going to be insane. Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, and the other defensive line players from Clemson. Oliver is one to keep your eye on though.

Nick Bosa! 

He might be better than his brother. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

I normally never want to trade up in a draft, but Oliver is one of those guys that is worth moving up for!  Dude is a Beast!!!  Imagine him being our 3-tech with Chubb and Hankins.. Wow!

That's why if we trade back I wouldn't want a 2 this year...prefer to have a future first. Teams that have multiple first round picks can get so creative in the way they move up or back on the board and really target a player or couple players. I know we want instant gratification but if move back we would be better off setting ourselves up for the future than taking the short term benefits.

ps....how does a guy like that end up at Houston and not Texas or Texas A&M or Oklahoma? I know he is from Houston but dang in the world of paying to steer players I'm willing to bet this kid was well represented lol. That or those guys at Texas etc are sure not doing a very good job recruiting.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's why if we trade back I wouldn't want a 2 this year...prefer to have a future first. Teams that have multiple first round picks can get so creative in the way they move up or back on the board and really target a player or couple players. I know we want instant gratification but if move back we would be better off setting ourselves up for the future than taking the short term benefits.

ps....how does a guy like that end up at Houston and not Texas or Texas A&M or Oklahoma? I know he is from Houston but dang in the world of paying to steer players I'm willing to bet this kid was well represented lol. That or those guys at Texas etc are sure not doing a very good job recruiting.

He was recruited heavily by good teams, but it was his decision to stay in Houston. 

Having an extra 1st next year would be great, but we would have to trade down so far this year in order to get another 1st next year and I don't want that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

He was recruited heavily by good teams, but it was his decision to stay in Houston. 

Having an extra 1st next year would be great, but we would have to trade down so far this year in order to get another 1st next year and I don't want that. 

True...but if the right player falls and a team is in love with say a qb stranger things can happen. You see a team like NY Jets that might want to leap frog a few teams instead of a 2nd we just ask for a first and maybe they bite if they are desperate enough. Normally, I would say yes you would have to fall back pretty far but we are sitting at 3....just moving up inside the top 5 takes a lot. I just see people asking for 2nds and personally I'd rather have future firsts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

True...but if the right player falls and a team is in love with say a qb stranger things can happen. You see a team like NY Jets that might want to leap frog a few teams instead of a 2nd we just ask for a first and maybe they bite if they are desperate enough. Normally, I would say yes you would have to fall back pretty far but we are sitting at 3....just moving up inside the top 5 takes a lot. I just see people asking for 2nds and personally I'd rather have future firsts.

if nyj would trade #6 & 2019 1st Rd for our #3 I would do that in a heartbeat. I agree with u, strange things do happen in the draft when a team falls in love with a potential franchise qb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The top 5 picks next year may end up all being DLineman haha 

A qb somehow always gets pushed up higher then they should due to the importance of the position so I wouldn't put money on it...but I get where you are coming from.

Also I'm sure there will be a RB that a bunch of people on here will say should be picked as well....if history has any way of repeating itself.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

That’s why I’m hoping for a trade back with the Bills. If we can get their firsts and seconds this year and a first next year I think we’re looking pretty good. Then I’d be hoping they draft Josh Allen and start him for the whole year so we get another early first next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

That’s why I’m hoping for a trade back with the Bills. If we can get their firsts and seconds this year and a first next year I think we’re looking pretty good. Then I’d be hoping they draft Josh Allen and start him for the whole year so we get another early first next year. 

But then we would totally miss out on B. Chubb who is an elite pass rusher/run stopper.

8 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

But then we would totally miss out on B. Chubb who is an elite pass rusher/run stopper.

If @NorthernBlue‘s trade proposal is possible then I’d take that but I don’t think they’d give us next year’s first to move up three spots. I’m okay with missing out on Chubb for 4 additional draft picks in the first two rounds. I’m somewhat banking on a regression from the Bills but with a rookie QB I think it’s fairly likely. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

If @NorthernBlue‘s trade proposal is possible then I’d take that but I don’t think they’d give us next year’s first to move up three spots. I’m okay with missing out on Chubb for 4 additional draft picks in the first two rounds. I’m somewhat banking on a regression from the Bills but with a rookie QB I think it’s fairly likely. 

I don't know if it would be possible either. Probably not. I agree with u there. I wouldn't give up an elite prospect for 4 average to above-average picks tho. I'll agree to disagree on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

I don't know if it would be possible either. Probably not. I agree with u there. I wouldn't give up an elite prospect for 4 average to above-average picks tho. I'll agree to disagree on that.

It’s tempting. Buffalo has two first and two seconds. If they give us two first, a second, and a future first (that could end up a top 10 pick next year in a loaded pass rush draft where we could use our other first to get maybe top 3 pick we are just delaying our elite player basically. Then this years draft possibly could be say one of Marcus Davenport/Edmonds/Vander Esch plus maybe Williams, Mcglintey, Hernandez, Wynn with our first rounders and then maybe Penny/Michel/Guice and say Price/Rankin or who’s knows maybe a corner. We wouldn’t have say that elite talent this offseason but man you could plug in a lot of holes on this team quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It’s tempting. Buffalo has two first and two seconds. If they give us two first, a second, and a future first (that could end up a top 10 pick next year in a loaded pass rush draft where we could use our other first to get maybe top 3 pick we are just delaying our elite player basically. Then this years draft possibly could be say one of Marcus Davenport/Edmonds/Vander Esch plus maybe Williams, Mcglintey, Hernandez, Wynn with our first rounders and then maybe Penny/Michel/Guice and say Price/Rankin or who’s knows maybe a corner. We wouldn’t have say that elite talent this offseason but man you could plug in a lot of holes on this team quickly.

We don't know where they will pick next year tho. I guess i go back to the old adage "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". We could plug some holes trading down with Buffalo, i agree. ...Or take Chubb @ #3, then trade down in Rd 2 with Miami. Our #36 for their #42 & #111. We could trade down a few spots in the 3rd also. Maybe next year we trade up with 2 or 3 picks going to some team so we can nab Oliver. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yup I have thought about that as well, maybe not the top guys but  potential solid guys?

14 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

We don't know where they will pick next year tho. I guess i go back to the old adage "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". We could plug some holes trading down with Buffalo, i agree. ...Or take Chubb @ #3, then trade down in Rd 2 with Miami. Our #36 for their #42 & #111. We could trade down a few spots in the 3rd also. Maybe next year we trade up with 2 or 3 picks going to some team so we can nab Oliver. 

Why would Miami randomly trade up in the 2nd and give us that?  That is a random assumption.  What player would be the driving force for this?

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Why would Miami randomly trade up in the 2nd and give us that?  That is a random assumption.  What player would be the driving force for this?

Every mock draft with a trade down has an assumption that one team wants a player badly enough!  last time i checked Miami was in cap hell. They don't have the $ so i figure they would be willing to trade. 

2 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Every mock draft with a trade down has an assumption that one team wants a player badly enough!  last time i checked Miami was in cap hell. They don't have the $ so i figure they would be willing to trade. 

Trading in the first based on a key player maybe.  This is just very random so I was not sure if you had a reason or player in mind.  Also, if they are trading us then they would need to be shedding a good amount of cap.  A 2nd round pick is still adding cap for them.  What current players of theres would be included?

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Trading in the first based on a key player maybe.  This is just very random so I was not sure if you had a reason or player in mind.  Also, if they are trading us then they would need to be shedding a good amount of cap.  A 2nd round pick is still adding cap for them.  What current players of theres would be included?

Idk. Suh haha   i hadn't looked into the phins personnel

On 3/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, stitches said:

Very. 

I took a look at him after your post.  A little light for an interior Dlineman, but very quick off the snap and the Outland Trophy winner as a sophomore, impressive.  I saw that his goal is to compete for the Heisman next year, not to be just the best defensive player, but the best overall player, I like the attitude so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

They are talking about him being cut.  That would free up a lot of cap. 

So we trade them #36 for #42 and take Suh. I personally can't stand the guy bc he's a dirty player, but he's still an Elite DT.  We play the Pats this year. If we had Suh and he tackled a RB on the sideline and accidentally ran into Josh McDaniels it wouldn't be a bad thing haha

2 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

So we trade them #36 for #42 and take Suh. I personally can't stand the guy bc he's a dirty player, but he's still an Elite DT.  We play the Pats this year. If we had Suh and he tackled a RB on the sideline and accidentally ran into Josh McDaniels it wouldn't be a bad thing haha

No way.  I would rather they cut him and be able to structure a better contract for us.  The Phins still owe him 26mil.  I would not want that cap hit.  He is a good player but not worth that much imo.

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I took a look at him after your post.  A little light for an interior Dlineman, but very quick off the snap and the Outland Trophy winner as a sophomore, impressive.  I saw that his goal is to compete for the Heisman next year, not to be just the best defensive player, but the best overall player, I like the attitude so far.

He's listed at 290 lbs, but so is J.J. Watt and Aaron Donald. I think he's quick off the snap bc he doesn't have another 30 lbs on him like other DTs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

No way.  I would rather they cut him and be able to structure a better contract for us.  The Phins still owe him 26mil.  I would not want that cap hit.  He is a good player but not worth that much imo.

I don't want his cap hit either haha. But i believe he is an elite talent thats worth the $.

Oh my... too bad he isn’t in this draft class...

Like some have said though, trading for future 1sts can sometimes render unexpected fortune, look at what Cleveland got from Houston this year;What New England got from Oakland for Richard Seymour; The Rams getting the 2nd overall (and more) from the Redskins two years after the RG3 trade.

Best case scenario is one the horribly run Franchies in the NFL gets QB thirsty this year and offers us future firsts (along with this year).

14 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

He's listed at 290 lbs, but so is J.J. Watt and Aaron Donald. I think he's quick off the snap bc he doesn't have another 30 lbs on him like other DTs.

Aaron Donald was who came to mind when I saw Oliver play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Defensive Line class in general is supposed to be great in 2019 which bodes well for the Colts. I could see DT being near the top of their needs come next offseason. They released Hankins and never really replaced him. They are currently counting on Ridgeway and Grover Stewart to show something this year.