Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: Hitchens to Colts and Norwell to Giants are "done deal"

I think we need to realize that even if Norwell isn't a "done deal" to the Giants, the chances are still more that he signs elsewhere than he signs here.

There are quite a few teams that do have the cap space that would LOVE to sign an All-Pro guard. Not to mention, Indy isn't exactly the most attractive FA destination for most. People should realize that just because you have the money and desire for a certain player, it isn't even close to a done deal.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I think we need to realize that even if Norwell isn't a "done deal" to the Giants, the chances are still more that he signs elsewhere than he signs here.

There are quite a few teams that do have the cap space that would LOVE to sign an All-Pro guard. Not to mention, Indy isn't exactly the most attractive FA destination for most. People should realize that just because you have the money and desire for a certain player, it isn't even close to a done deal.

Yep. If he doesn't sign here, and Ballard tries to make a move, that's no one's fault. Tons of teams are going to be after Norwell, so he'll get to choose. 

3 hours ago, masnerj said:

Agreed. But that doesn't mean that Ballard shouldn't throw his hat into the ring and make an offer. Who knows what'll happen. Norwell grew up in CIN, maybe being close to family is high on his list of reasons to choose a team. I hope we are that lucky, but dont expect it. 

9 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Agreed. But that doesn't mean that Ballard shouldn't throw his hat into the ring and make an offer. Who knows what'll happen. Norwell grew up in CIN, maybe being close to family is high on his list of reasons to choose a team. I hope we are that lucky, but dont expect it. 

Sure Ballard has to throw his hat in the ring. He just can't get into a bidding war for his service.

Norwell was the dream this FA.But obviously lots of teams would want a top guard. Seems like most teams could use an upgrade to the O-lines.

Hitchens - Well, he'll be an okay signing, but it's hard to be excited about him. He's a good fit, and all that jazz, but it's hardly a marquee signing or a signing that turns things on their head.

10 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Will Hernandez, he's strong as an ox. He knows what it's like to lose since hiss team was 0-12 last year.  He is tough mentally too. A good second round pick if we end up acquiring a couple from the Jets.

I like Hernandez as well.  But if you watch a couple of games of his couple with his impressive combine, I don't think he will make it out of the 1st round.  Especially since so many teams are starting to put a higher premium on guards.

10 minutes ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Norwell was the dream this FA.But obviously lots of teams would want a top guard. Seems like most teams could use an upgrade to the O-lines.

Hitchens - Well, he'll be an okay signing, but it's hard to be excited about him. He's a good fit, and all that jazz, but it's hardly a marquee signing or a signing that turns things on their head.

That's true, but he'd fill a hole on the defense. Outside of Norwell, there really aren't that many big names.

8 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I read that too and it kind of scares me to be honest. We need immediate help at guard, not projects. 

Norwell was an UDFA and if I am not mistaken he started from day one. understand your concern as we need an upgrade immediately but may get help from a more up tempo game plan.

12 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I'd much rather have Norwell to and if true it's very disappointing. 

He's probably the safest bet in free agency. He was always going to have multiple suitors. We had maybe a 20% chance at him.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sure Ballard has to throw his hat in the ring. He just can't get into a bidding war for his service.

Why not?  I would and I hope Ballard would.  He's not a mid tier FA you don't want to overpay.  He's a top tier FA that we need for Luck and you have to overpay.  You're overpaying for a guard.  He's not going to break our bank.  Just give him more in guarantees.  That's the golden ticket.  If he doesn't want to come to Indy Okay but we shouldn't lose him because of money.   Maybe he wants to play most of his games in potentially bad weather instead of a dome. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Why not?  I would and I hope Ballard would.  He's not a mid tier FA you don't want to overpay.  He's a top tier FA that we need for Luck and you have to overpay.  You're overpaying for a guard.  He's not going to break our bank.  Just give him more in guarantees.  That's the golden ticket.  If he doesn't want to come to Indy Okay but we shouldn't lose him because of money.   Maybe he wants to play most of his games in potentially bad weather instead of a dome. 

Well does it make sense to throw a big time expensive contract to Norwell when we could just draft Nelson and get him for a rookie contract? 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I totally agree we need to do whatever it takes to get this guy. 

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well does it make sense to throw a big time expensive contract to Norwell when we could just draft Nelson and get him for a rookie contract? 

Yes, my argument is the cap space it will take to sign Norwell is less valuable than the #3 pick in any given year. I'd rather pay Norwell $13m/year than draft Nelson at #3, and I like Nelson and think he'll wind up being better than Norwell.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yes, my argument is the cap space it will take to sign Norwell is less valuable than the #3 pick in any given year. I'd rather pay Norwell $13m/year than draft Nelson at #3, and I like Nelson and think he'll wind up being better than Norwell.

How about both?

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes, FA comes before the draft.  No one knows how the draft is going to fall.  We have the money to get the best guard in FA.  We should go all in now and get him and hopefully another top tier FA.  The draft will take care of itself.  Let's fill some big holes in FA. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Yes, FA comes before the draft.  No one knows how the draft is going to fall.  We have the money to get the best guard in FA.  We should go all in now and get him and hopefully another top tier FA.  The draft will take care of itself.  Let's fill some big holes in FA. 

Like I said. It's a different point of view. Like I ask Sup, how about trying for both?

(just playing devils advocate)haha

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How about both?

I can't endorse using that amount of resources on the interior offensive line. It's still a position where you can find good value, both in the draft and in free agency. I'm still not endorsing drafting Nelson at #3.

Just now, Superman said:

I can't endorse using that amount of resources on the interior offensive line. It's still a position where you can find good value, both in the draft and in free agency. I'm still not endorsing drafting Nelson at #3.

I know, we need Chubb or in some's eyes Barkley more at the 3rd position.

We all know this is all hypothetical and there are so many scenarios, but it does get interesting to say the least.

Us getting Norwell was a long shot anyway. Think Ballard wants to draft and develop ol talent. He also see the investments we have in Clark and haeg. Figure he's going to give them one more year. Robinson has got to be the FA colts go after. The WR core is depleted and needs to be addressed. Robinson is young and talented. Been a long time since we had a big bodied WR.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like I said. It's a different point of view. Like I ask Sup, how about trying for both?

(just playing devils advocate)haha

Getting both would be like hitting a grand slam IMO.  But I would prefer trading back a few spots to do it.  That would set up our line for quite a few years. 

4 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Us getting Norwell was a long shot anyway. Think Ballard wants to draft and develop ol talent. He also see the investments we have in Clark and haeg. Figure he's going to give them one more year. Robinson has got to be the FA colts go after. The WR core is depleted and needs to be addressed. Robinson is young and talented. Be a long time since we had a big bodied WR.

I think Clark and Haag's days are numbered here.  He will bring in a few other OL FA's and there is also the draft.  Robinson would be a premier addition.  We need to bring in one of the big three; Robinson, Watkins or Landry.  We have the cap space to do it.  Robinson would be my 1st.choice. 

So what’s wrong with throwing the $ at Norwell at G, Hitchens at LB, and Robinson at WR? Spend your money on impact players, resign Melvin and Desir if reasonable, and head to the draft a better team! Don’t overpay for mediocre talent, but spend the money on genuine upgrades. Less is more. 

Free agency is about money period. There is no loyalty to any teams anymore. Money talks and nonsense walks. These guy only have but so long to play and they are looking to cash in while they can. Yes some older vets. getting close to the end of there careers may sign with someone they think has a chance to win it all and sometime take less money for that reason. But most money money money. No such thing as a done deal till the sign that contract. Does Josh Mcf___  face ring a bell.

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I posted on the Butler Thread - we have 65,598,001 in Cap Space. Giants have 16,747,780 in Cap Space. Don't see how Norwell is a done deal going to NY when we can offer way more money. We need a guy like that too because it's time to build an O.Line up to protect Luck. 

As you well know, cap figures can be manipulated. They can give him $13m/year with a Year 1 cap hit of $5m if they want (although they probably shouldn't). The Giants can offer whatever we can, if they really want him. And they have contracts to shed and potential to rework contracts with Eli Manning and Olivier Vernon (if they keep either of them). 

And then there are other teams that will likely be just as interested. 

But I get the feeling Gettleman started working on this before he officially took the Giants job. I would have...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

As you well know, cap figures can be manipulated. They can give him $13m/year with a Year 1 cap hit of $5m if they want (although they probably shouldn't). The Giants can offer whatever we can, if they really want him. And they have contracts to shed and potential to rework contracts with Eli Manning and Olivier Vernon (if they keep either of them). 

And then there are other teams that will likely be just as interested. 

But I get the feeling Gettleman started working on this before he officially took the Giants job. I would have...

Yeah I know what you are saying - great point, we just have so much Cap Space that I am excited and see the opportunities we have. This Free Agency is going to be real interesting. We definitely have the money to make some noise.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I was listening to a podcast with Andy Benoit and I thought he made a very good point about O-line resources. He thinks overpaying for the very best of pass-protecting O-line is a waste. He thinks having a competent O-line is good enough especially if you have a pocket aware QB, because there is very marginal difference in results play by play between good/competent and pro-bowl type of pass-protection because the results are almost always identical - he thinks pancaking your defender gives you nothing additional to just keeping him away from the QB/RB but teams pay additional 5-6M for the visual of dominance when the simple "doing your job" gives you the same outcomes. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I know what you are saying - great point, we just have so much Cap Space that I am excited and see the opportunities we have. This Free Agency is going to be real interesting. We definitely have the money to make some noise.

I'm working on my Mock 2.0 right now. I won't have Norwell in it, but as I'm studying the FA class, especially now that the tag deadline is done, it's obvious that there are still good players at a lot of positions. DB and LB have some decent depth.