Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Pauline: Hitchens to Colts and Norwell to Giants are "done deal"

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-7

Free-Agent News

As teams leave the combine, this is what most think will happen starting March 12:

- Just about everyone believes linebacker Anthony Hitchens will end up with the Indianapolis Colts.

- There is going to be a huge market for Dontari Poe, and there are a number of teams he could end up with.

- The belief is that Andrew Norwell to the New York Giants is a “done deal.”

- The same is being said about Kirk Cousins to the Minnesota Vikings- "done deal."

- Look for Weston Richburg, labeled as the top ZBS (zone-blocking scheme) center available, to be scooped off the free-agent market very quickly.  As posted several times, the New York Jets will make a big pitch to Richburg.

- As previously posted last week, Trumaine Johnson is likely to end up with the San Francisco 49ers. The Oakland Raiders want Johnson but do not have the cap space the Niners do. I’m also told the Dallas Cowboys want to sign Johnson but, like the Raiders, their cap space is limited compared to San Francisco.

I am... disappointed quite honestly. I would rather have Norwell to the Colts be done deal than Hitchens... but oh well... what can you do. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Are free agents announced by Goodell?

Oh crap I was thinking I was in a different thread ... my bad! 

I wanted norwell to the colts badly! So giants get norwell and draft Nelson? No QB? Trade down for more picks and Chubb is looking better!

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I am... disappointed quite honestly. I would rather have Norwell to the Colts be done deal than Hitchens... but oh well... what can you do. 

Ballard has said he wasn't going to over pay for free agents. The Giants have already said they are willing to make Norwell the highest paid.

Not surprising he is rumored to go to the Giants.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard has said he wasn't going to over pay for free agents. The Giants have already said they are willing to make Norwell the highest paid.

Not surprising he is rumored to go to the Giants.

Ballard also mentioned one of the depth areas in the draft is interior OL so he may look to take a shot or two on some of those guys.

Norwell has all the hallmarks of someone who is going to be paid megabucks which, as you rightly say, is not a Ballard move based on what we have seen/heard so far.

I may be well off with this as well, but I am interested to know what Ballard projects for Bond this year.  He looked very solid at Center but was listed at the start of the year as C/G and so I wonder if there are any plans for him?  Obviously a limited sample size at a different position but perhaps another option.

19 minutes ago, Indeee said:

First off, we have a lot more money to give Norwell than the Giants do.

Yes for sure, they have something like $23 million in cap space. If theyre will to fork out $13 million a year for Nowell, they are going to have to make cuts, and litterly have to not sign or re-sign anybody.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Ballard also mentioned one of the depth areas in the draft is interior OL so he may look to take a shot or two on some of those guys.

Norwell has all the hallmarks of someone who is going to be paid megabucks which, as you rightly say, is not a Ballard move based on what we have seen/heard so far.

I may be well off with this as well, but I am interested to know what Ballard projects for Bond this year.  He looked very solid at Center but was listed at the start of the year as C/G and so I wonder if there are any plans for him?  Obviously a limited sample size at a different position but perhaps another option.

I also brought Bond's name up in an earlier thread. He did look solid at center no doubt but is still listed as a guard.

I would not be upset to see us pay top dollar for Norwell and get Hitchens as well. Still have to address our CB free agents too but I’m not certain why paying Norwell big money is any more of an issue if he was currently a FA under our own roof and had to pay him. By all accounts he is the best FA linemen out there and he fits our biggest need. Treat him as our own FA who opted to test the market and pay him. These guys don’t give hometown discounts that matter much anyone, they all get paid at or above the market level. This forum would explode if Norwell was our draft pick guy and we let him go to another team because they offered the ransom he is about to get somewhere. Pay him. 

27 minutes ago, Indeee said:

First off, we have a lot more money to give Norwell than the Giants do.

Having more cap money to spend does not mean out bidding for any player. Ballard said he would not over spend for a free agent. I guess we will see.

4 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I would not be upset to see us pay top dollar for Norwell and get Hitchens as well. Still have to address our CB free agents too but I’m not certain why paying Norwell big money is any more of an issue if he was currently a FA under our own roof and had to pay him. By all accounts he is the best FA linemen out there and he fits our biggest need. Treat him as our own FA who opted to test the market and pay him. These guys don’t give hometown discounts that matter much anyone, they all get paid at or above the market level. This forum would explode if Norwell was our draft pick guy and we let him go to another team because they offered the ransom he is about to get somewhere. Pay him. 

What you don't seem to understand is the FO of the Colts do not let this forum dictate what they do or don't do.

They cut Manning and this forum carried on.

It's going to be hitchens and Fulton. We'll rather resign Melvin or go after Breeland or Gaines. I didn't expect us to sign Norwell, although I was hoping we would. This is all speculation but probally more true than not. We're more than likely heading into the draft with still have question marks at WR,OL, and edge rusher. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you don't seem to understand is the FO of the Colts do not let this forum dictate what they do or don't do.

They cut Manning and this forum carried on.

I understand clearly. These are my opinions, not intended that my expectations are that Irsay read my comments and say, this guy makes a solid point, CB, go sign these two guys and send this poster a thank You package for his brilliant mind and ideas on building our team. Seriously dude, c’mon! 

As for CB saying he will or won’t be building a team by spending big in FA, please show me a GM out there that says I want to build my team by spending big money on other teams FA’s and not by building and growing through the draft. They all say this same thing and then some of these same guys go pay Albert Haynesworth to a 100+ million dollar contract. CB doesn’t have enough history as a GM to say he will or won’t buy big in a targeted FA player. IMO, any GM with the cap space, the owner with money and desire and the right player to fit his talent criteria and need, he will make that buy if those things match, regardless of what he says in public. Now, if after this year he passes up on these top guys for huge money that match up our need and we have the cap space, then we start to have a pattern of how he truly handles the FA signings. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

I understand clearly. These are my opinions, not intended that my expectations are that Irsay read my comments and say, this guy makes a solid point, CB, go sign these two guys and send this poster a thank You package for his brilliant mind and ideas on building our team. Seriously dude, c’mon! 

As for CB saying he will or won’t be building a team by spending big in FA, please show me a GM out there that says I want to build my team by spending big money on other teams FA’s and not by building and growing through the draft. They all say this same thing and then some of these same guys go pay Albert Haynesworth to a 100+ million dollar contract. CB doesn’t have enough history as a GM to say he will or won’t buy big in a targeted FA player. IMO, any GM with the cap space, the owner with money and desire and the right player to fit his talent criteria and need, he will make that buy if those things match, regardless of what he says in public. Now, if after this year he passes up on these top guys for huge money that match up our need and we have the cap space, then we start to have a pattern of how he truly handles the FA signings. 

Well you said this forum would explode like it meant something. Just going by your own choice of words.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Giant's look to have limited cap space, so with whatever deal they are looking to give Norwell, their backs are going to be against the wall as far as draft picks/emergency money.

I don't understand how people complain about wanting top tier talent but fold when it comes to paying for it. With our money, I'd easily slide a contract to Norwell at 5/70 with 40 to 50 guaranteed. You have to pay to play, especially with guys of Norwell's caliber. There's no reason we can't compete with the Giants and give Norwell a better deal. Maybe he's loyal to Gettleman, but I would certainly test it.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Will Hernandez, he's strong as an ox. He knows what it's like to lose since hiss team was 0-12 last year.  He is tough mentally too. A good second round pick if we end up acquiring a couple from the Jets.

He's squeezing into the first. The cowboys would be the first suitor. They've been taking him out alot lately. 

20 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Giant's look to have limited cap space, so with whatever deal they are looking to give Norwell, their backs are going to be against the wall as far as draft picks/emergency money.

I don't understand how people complain about wanting top tier talent but fold when it comes to paying for it. With our money, I'd easily slide a contract to Norwell at 5/70 with 40 to 50 guaranteed. You have to pay to play, especially with guys of Norwell's caliber. There's no reason we can't compete with the Giants and give Norwell a better deal. Maybe he's loyal to Gettleman, but I would certainly test it.

It's called cap management.

18 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It’s ultimately the player’s choice where he ends up, & if he simply prefers to be in NY, for whatever reason, another million or 2 of guaranteed money per year isn’t going to change his mind.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's called cap management.

Lots of ways to manage it. Personally, I'm the build through the draft type guy, but Norwell's combination of youth and playing ability make him an exception. We need a G, and unless Ballard is thinking of taking Nelson in the draft, he has to consider Norwell as it would solve a lot of our problems. 

Think of it this way. Would you rather build around 6-8 elite playmakers or 10-12 above average players? It's like doing 2 for 1 trades in fantasy football and stocking top talent and building FA's around them. For us, we could have 6-8 top playmakers and build the draft and UDFA's and lower tier FA's around them. In this case, I want the young guy at a position of need that will hit in FA. Isn't that what FA is for? You also have to overspend most of the time in FA anyway and we have the cap to do so. Get it done Ballard.

2 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Will Hernandez, he's strong as an ox. He knows what it's like to lose since hiss team was 0-12 last year.  He is tough mentally too. A good second round pick if we end up acquiring a couple from the Jets.

Doubt he ends up in the second with his great Combine.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lots of ways to manage it. Personally, I'm the build through the draft type guy, but Norwell's combination of youth and playing ability make him an exception. We need a G, and unless Ballard is thinking of taking Nelson in the draft, he has to consider Norwell as it would solve a lot of our problems. 

Think of it this way. Would you rather build around 6-8 elite playmakers or 10-12 above average players? It's like doing 2 for 1 trades in fantasy football and stocking top talent and building FA's around them. For us, we could have 6-8 top playmakers and build the draft and UDFA's and lower tier FA's around them. In this case, I want the young guy at a position of need that will hit in FA. Isn't that what FA is for? You also have to overspend most of the time in FA anyway and we have the cap to do so. Get it done Ballard.

The thing is, the NFL is not fantasy football.  By doing what you say you are writing checks that will need to be paid later.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If he chooses New York, there's nothing we an do about it. He has connections to Gettleman, so that's certainly a factor.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is, the NFL is not fantasy football.  By doing what you say you are writing checks that will need to be paid later.

Or you can front load the contracts. There are ways around paying the players later. In fact, a young player like Norwell probably would be better to front load it as he would perform to his contract. 

That'd be disappointing if true about Norwell. I usually don't get too all in on signing FA's but I was hopeful about getting him.

Depending on what happens in FA, if we don't sign any gems to the OL and just sign some depth, and especially if we lose Mewhort, I really won't be surprised if we draft Q. Nelson.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

That'd be disappointing if true about Norwell. I usually don't get too all in on signing FA O-linemen but I was hopeful about getting him.

Depending on what happens in FA, if we don't sign any gems to the OL and just get depth, and especially if we lose Mewhort, I really won't be surprised if we draft Q. Nelson.

You think we can trade down and get Nelson still? If the Vikes get Cousins, I see that as a possibility. If he gets past the Giants at 2, I think he can make it to 6.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Or you can front load the contracts. There are ways around paying the players later. In fact, a young player like Norwell probably would be better to front load it as he would perform to his contract. 

That may be true for one player but that is not exactly what you said in your earlier statement about 6-8 elite players. Look at what happened to Seattle.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true for one player but that is not exactly what you said in your earlier statement about 6-8 elite players. Look at what happened to Seattle.

I was also combining Norwell with some of our guys like Luck, Hilton, Kelly, and Hooker, along with whomever we take at 3 in the draft. That would give us 6 elite players and possibly one or two more depending on our 2nd rounder and whomever else we take in FA in that scenario.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You think we can trade down and get Nelson still? If the Vikes get Cousins, I see that as a possibility. If he gets past the Giants at 2, I think he can make it to 6.

Nelson might not get past the Broncos at 5th.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Nelson might not get past the Broncos at 5th.

That would be the other problem. However, I can't see them not taking a QB at 5 when they probably will miss out on Cousins. That may lose the fanbase. They almost have to take a QB at 5.