Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Combine - CB/S Testing

Testing is going on already... Here's a threat to discuss what players are doing. 

Day four arrivals: Group 10(DB), and Group 11(DB)

Friday, March 2nd - Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Overflow Testing ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Saturday, March 3rd Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Overflow Testing ~ Interviews

Sunday, March 4th - Psychological Testing ~ NFLPA Meeting ~ Media ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Monday, March 5th On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

Both Alabama CBs running in the mid 4.3s...

Jaire Alexander ran 4.43... he might be moving into the first round. 

Denzel Ward 4.32

Carlton Davis 4.53

Duke Dawson 4.46 -> better than expected... people thought he's strictly slot corner. They might need to reevaluate him. 

Brandon Facyson - 4.55 big corner, ok time

Mike Hughes 4.53 - expected better

Isaiah Oliver 4.51

Tarvarus McFadden 4.67 damn... that's slow 

I think there is a possibility Josh Jackson slips to us in the second.  His second run hurt him and many GMs are unsure if his interception count this year was a fluke, considering he is only a one year starter.  This coupled with the fact many teams only saw him as a cover 2 corner gives me hope he may slip to us. 

Denzel Ward is now likely the top corner.

Everything I've been reading BEFORE the combine says he has the best corner tape.    And he showed up TALLER than expected.    

For some one odd reason, Ohio State listed him as 5'10'.   Teams expected him to show up shorter.   Most players are shorter than advertised.   But almost nobody is taller.

Except Ward is.   5'10.7.    Five foot ten and seven eighths inches.   Teams call that 5'11".   Ward made money just showing up and getting measured.

Scouts said he'd test thru the roof.  And he starts with 4.32.    NOTE:  Just learned he didn't do other on field testing and will save that for his pro day.

If the Colts trade back,  Ward is a possible target.   Maybe not the top guy...   but he will be considered -- seriously.

47 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Man, this year more than any I wish we had multiple 2nd rounders.

That's what pick #3 is for.

This year seems to be deep in our positions of need like DBs and LBs, which is why I don't want Barkley at #3, not to mention the draft is also deep at RB.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Isaiah Oliver is a Quincy Wilson clone IMO. Same size, same 40, and same skill set. Good in press but can play off. Would be a good fit here.

I like Oliver as well. Very athletic and Quincy popped in my mind too.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

4.47 for Minkah is OK. Probably can play CB... I wanted it a bit better to be more definitively elite as a CB with it. 

Basically a high 4.49 average. That's a bit disappointing.

I am interested to see vertical and broad jump now. Derwin James looks like a tremendous athlete. And with him there, Minkah is going to have to keep pace if he wants to solidify a top 5 pick.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Basically a high 4.49 average. That's a bit disappointing.

I am interested to see vertical and broad jump now. Derwin James looks like a tremendous athlete. And with him there, Minkah is going to have to keep pace if he wants to solidify a top 5 pick.

for as tremendous as James looks, he just ran slower than Minkah. They both have great times for safeties. I just... wanted a bit faster for Minkah if I'm going to project him as a CB that would be taken no. 3(if we took him)

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

for as tremendous as James looks, he just ran slower than Minkah. They both have great times for safeties. I just... wanted a bit faster for Minkah if I'm going to project him as a CB that would be taken no. 3(if we took him)

His broad and vertical were disappointing as well. I was hoping for a Jalen Ramsey type Combine performance. That has actually come from James and not Minkah. Still really like Minkah...he just didn't have the type of performance I thought he would.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Yeah.... so... here are the scores for Minkah and James:

Derwin James vertical 40", broad 134"

Minkah Fitzpatrick vertical 33", broad 121" ... Minkah tested worse than 70 pounds heavier Bradley Chubb... 

yikes

39 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Not bad at all.  He might have tested into the top spot.  Sad to hear Fitz did not show up today.  He will likely do far better at his pro day and everything will be forgotten today.

I'm sorry, but I think Fitz suffers from a high floor and low ceiling.  I honestly see him sliding, and I think it is justified.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Denzel Ward is now likely the top corner.

Everything I've been reading BEFORE the combine says he has the best corner tape.    And he showed up TALLER than expected.    

For some one odd reason, Ohio State listed him as 5'10'.   Teams expected him to show up shorter.   Most players are shorter than advertised.   But almost nobody is taller.

Except Ward is.   5'10.7.    Five foot ten and seven eighths inches.   Teams call that 5'11".   Ward made money just showing up and getting measured.

Scouts said he'd test thru the roof.  And he starts with 4.32.    NOTE:  Just learned he didn't do other on field testing and will save that for his pro day.

If the Colts trade back,  Ward is a possible target.   Maybe not the top guy...   but he will be considered -- seriously.

Teams are going to have to expect more Eli Apple than Lattimore or Conley with Ward in the first year or 2. He's more suited to being a Cover-2/3 corner than a man-cover corner. Denzel has all the athletic traits, obviously, teams are looking for, but he drove me nuts last year with his inability to get his head around and track the ball in the air. He got a little better as the year went on, but he's still relying on his athleticism to help cover/beat his man instead of using proper technique. Eli Apple was the exact same way.

If Ward lands anywhere between 15 and 25, that's good value for him, but anything higher and I think teams are reaching. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Both Alabama CBs running in the mid 4.3s...

Jaire Alexander ran 4.43... he might be moving into the first round. 

Denzel Ward 4.32

Carlton Davis 4.53

Duke Dawson 4.46 -> better than expected... people thought he's strictly slot corner. They might need to reevaluate him. 

Brandon Facyson - 4.55 big corner, ok time

Mike Hughes 4.53 - expected better

Isaiah Oliver 4.51

Tarvarus McFadden 4.67 damn... that's slow 

4.67 isn't slow if he goes to safety in the pros.

Most corners dont run 4.3 and that's real. Vontae didnt run 4.3 and neither does Marcus Peters. I doubt AJ Bouye runs 4.3. I dont see what the big deal is over Minkah running 4.47. Most corners are in the 4.4 range anyway. I dont see much reason why Minkah couldn't play corner and play it well. I dont think he was ever in play for the third pick or maybe not even the 6th pick if we traded back. None of that means he wouldn't be a very good corner. I agree with Casserly. Will be a Very Good/Great ball player.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Most corners dont run 4.3 and that's real. Vontae didnt run 4.3 and neither does Marcus Peters. I doubt AJ Bouye runs 4.3. I dont see what the big deal is over Minkah running 4.47. Most corners are in the 4.4 range anyway. I dont see much reason why Minkah couldn't play corner and play it well. I dont think he was ever in play for the third pick or maybe not even the 6th pick if we traded back. None of that means he wouldn't be a very good corner. I agree with Casserly. Will be a Very Good/Great ball player.

The problem of Minkah to CB is that it is a projection to a much higher degree than most other players since he hasn't played at the position this year. This is where the elite time and athleticism comes in - it gives the player bigger margin for error. You are saying you didn't see him as an option at 3-6 range and maybe this is a problem with me rather than with him because I was projecting him in that range and I was looking for athleticism tests to make me comfortable projecting his transition. I thought his tape was very good and if you are comfortable to put him at CB, I think he is worth the pick at 3. The problem is he didn't test elite enough for me to pick him this high as a CB. 

I also agree that nothing of this means he won't be a good CB, but the risk is higher with this testing than with him testing like Jalen Ramsay lets say ... IMO. That's part of the reason why none of the players you mentioned were drafted top 5 in the draft. 

So yeah, again... probably the problem was with me thinking of him as this high pick type of a player.