Bradley Chubb 3-Cones at 7.37

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's an indisputable correlation between 3 cone results and successful pass rushers. In no way am I dismissing the 3 cone, or even excusing Chubb's poor time.

But, as we all know, correlation does not equal causation, and there are a number of examples of edge rushers with poor 3 cones who are still good pass rushers. Usually, those guys are good athletes and play with good effort and technique. 

Chubb wins with his hands and technique rather than with insane bend(Barnett). He has great inside counters and crosses the tackles face with ease. I don't even think that test was surprising. He's not the bendiest of players on tape either... and he still wins consistently. Different players win in different ways and that's OK. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

As others have said, Chubb wins with his hands and technique rather than with insane bend(Barnett). He has great inside counters and crosses the tackles face with ease. I don't even think that test was surprising. He's not the bendiest of players on tape either... and he still wins consistently. Different players win in different ways and that's OK. 

Hands and technique with NFL strength will help him with several counters including the bull rush when he has the OL on his toes. I'd still want the Colts to develop depth for that 4-3 DE position to help Chubb come along with limited reps to begin with. 

Are we keeping Robert Mathis still? Chubb could use to learn the spin move, that is why I am asking.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm actually so hyped about Chubb that I will be changing my profile pic from Roquan(who I still love, but isn't a player for our range) to Chubb sometime today... unless Minkah blows me away in his testing and on-field drills. 

Interesting....     you and I appear to see so much the same way...

But you don't see Roquan as a possible target for the Colts?   Not even in a trade back scenario?     Or am I misunderstanding?    I think if we trade back to around 8-12 then Smith becomes a possible target.

Ballard keeps talking about getting faster on D.    Guys like Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Fitz and James would do that.. 

I'm just thinking out loud and spit-balling with you....

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm actually so hyped about Chubb that I will be changing my profile pic from Roquan(who I still love, but isn't a player for our range) to Chubb sometime today... unless Minkah blows me away in his testing and on-field drills. 

Roquan will be in our range if we trade down, which is a viable option. 

Lets say Roquan plus 2 2nd rounders OR Chubb?

I'll think the tradedown would be more impactful

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting....     you and I appear to see so much the same way...

But you don't see Roquan as a possible target for the Colts?   Not even in a trade back scenario?     Or am I misunderstanding?    I think if we trade back to around 8-12 then Smith becomes a possible target.

Ballard keeps talking about getting faster on D.    Guys like Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Fitz and James would do that.. 

I'm just thinking out loud and spit-balling with you....

In a trade back scenario - yes, definitely... depends on how far back we trade. The thing with LBs is... again - positional value. I love the player(I think he's top 5 on my tentative board), I don't love the value at 3-6... if we trade back to 11 with the Dolphins that will be a very good pick IMO. But yah... for the moment I'm working with where we are in the draft order with no trade currently in place and thus... my choice for profile pick. :P 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

In a trade back scenario - yes, definitely... depends on how far back we trade. The thing with LBs is... again - positional value. I love the player(I think he's top 5 on my tentative board), I don't love the value at 3-6... if we trade back to 11 with the Dolphins that will be a very good pick IMO. But yah... for the moment I'm working with where we are in the draft order with no trade currently in place and thus... my choice for profile pick. :P 

I think the existence of Smith and Edmunds gives the Colts a lot of flexibility in this draft. A couple extra day two picks would be ideal for what I want to see out of this draft.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks...    we ARE in agreement.   Sorry for any misunderstanding..

I love Smith...   but like you, not at 3-6.   

I keep hearing Ballard in my head talking about wanting to get faster on defense ...   I think there will be a flock of talented fast guys in that 7-13 range....

I'm not making predictions here...  for all I know we stay put and take Chubb...  but if we move back...   then...  hmmm? 

Peronsally, when you combine Chubb's game tape with his workout numbers, it really won't have much of an effect.  It means he won't go number 1 overall but outside his numbers are really good for a big man.

Although Bucky Brooks thinks Chubb's combine puts him in consideration for the the #1 overall pick.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks...    we ARE in agreement.   Sorry for any misunderstanding..

I love Smith...   but like you, not at 3-6.   

I keep hearing Ballard in my head talking about wanting to get faster on defense ...   I think there will be a flock of talented fast guys in that 7-13 range....

I'm not making predictions here...  for all I know we stay put and take Chubb...  but if we move back...   then...  hmmm? 

No worries. I love picking other people's brains on players too. 

If we trade back to 5 or 6 I still have hopes of getting Chubb, although... Something to think about - IMO if we do trade back to 5 or 6, Ballard probably didn't love Chubb as much as we do. Just... pass-rush is so important of a position that if we really love Chubb IMO Ballard cannot risk trading down and letting the Browns pick him at 4 for example and pairing him up with Garrett. 

Minkah, James, Roquan, Edmunds, Nelson... IMO those are the players you target in a trade back if Chubb is not available. The first 4 are all the type of players I imagine when I hear Ballard and Eberflus talking about fast flying defense. Hell add Vander Esch in that group. 

51 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's an indisputable correlation between 3 cone results and successful pass rushers. In no way am I dismissing the 3 cone, or even excusing Chubb's poor time.

But, as we all know, correlation does not equal causation, and there are a number of examples of edge rushers with poor 3 cones who are still good pass rushers. Usually, those guys are good athletes and play with good effort and technique. 

Does your analysis of his theoretical success or at the pro level equate to the correlation of your use of superior vocabulary?

because it sure seems like it :)

well said though, liked the long paragraph one, would’ve quoted it, but to keep this thread as short as possible, I’ll be thoughtful and just say thanks

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Does your analysis of his theoretical success or at the pro level equate to the correlation of your use of superior vocabulary?

well said though, liked the long paragraph one, would’ve quoted it, but to keep this thread as short as possible, I’ll be thoughtful and just say thanks

Yeah, what a wordsmith Superman is :) 

I asked him for the time and he told me how to build a watch, j/k Superman j/k :thmup:

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

No worries. I love picking other people's brains on players too. 

If we trade back to 5 or 6 I still have hopes of getting Chubb, although... Something to think about - IMO if we do trade back to 5 or 6, Ballard probably didn't love Chubb as much as we do. Just... pass-rush is so important of a position that if we really love Chubb IMO Ballard cannot risk trading down and letting the Browns pick him at 4 for example and pairing him up with Garrett. 

Minkah, James, Roquan, Edmunds, Nelson... IMO those are the players you target in a trade back if Chubb is not available. The first 4 are all the type of players I imagine when I hear Ballard and Eberflus talking about fast flying defense. Hell add Vander Esch in that group. 

For what little it's worth...    I've read that Eberflus likes playing a lot of three safety defense....    that may give weight to Fitz or James... 

Or not.     Just talking out of my rear end...

So many possibilities right now...   so many different things could happen...

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what little it's worth...    I've read that Eberflus likes playing a lot of three safety defense....    that may give weight to Fitz or James... 

Or not.     Just talking out of my rear end...

So many possibilities right now...   so many different things could happen...

The star safety, the 3rd one, used like a LB or safety in coverage or around the box, I like that.

Belichick does that with McCourty, Harmon and Chung a lot of times. Allows them to play nickel with decent run support but it does help their coverage more than their run support, and Brady being QB and having points on the board helps with that 3 safety defense too. That is why when a team like the Eagles chose to run out of 3 WR formations consistently, it hurt the Patriots with that element of unpredictability in the SB. 

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

@NewColtsFan Fitzpatrick is not testing great right now for a CB. He's very far from elite athletically. Kind of disappointing. 33" vertical, 121" broad, 4.47 40... agility drills still not out. 

Right....    for a corner....

Honestly,  I don't see a corner...   I see a safety...    but he's so exceptional as a safety that he works for me if that's what Ballard wants to do...

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right....    for a corner....

Honestly,  I don't see a corner...   I see a safety...    but he's so exceptional as a safety that he works for me if that's what Ballard wants to do...

Yeah... for a safety his quickness is very good... His explosiveness tests are meh. He looks smooth on the drills though, which is not surprising. Matches his tape . I just think he needs to project as an outside corner to be drafted this high(3)... 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... for a safety his quickness is very good... His explosiveness tests are meh. He looks smooth on the drills though, which is not surprising. Matches his tape . I just think he needs to project as an outside corner to be drafted this high(3)... 

Agreed with that. He'll be a solid pick for somebody in the top 10, but I'd want him to be looking like a more legitimate outside corner prospect if we were considering him at #3.

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

@NewColtsFan Fitzpatrick is not testing great right now for a CB. He's very far from elite athletically. Kind of disappointing. 33" vertical, 121" broad, 4.47 40... agility drills still not out. 

I agree. As a corner, imo, they should be the most athletic person on the field; in terms of speed because they have to be as fast and quick as receivers and big and strong enough to tackle power backs. 

I always thought he would be a better safety, maybe slot corner, and we don’t need either. We need a corner more than those positions, but more important positions of need can be addressed where we are drafting, so I digress. 

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

To be clear...

I don't want him at 3....

I only want him in a trade back scenario..

That's where he'd work for me.

1 minute ago, Reidm said:

haha nice . We could use some of his personality on the Defense

Bradley Chubb - stealing souls... and QB towels. 

Yep, in addition to everything else he would give us on the field, he will add some character and personality to a locker room that severely lacks any personality whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I thought it was eloquent, perfunctory, and should his response have continued...would likely have been infused with a plethora of substantive information. 

4 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

*sees there are 200+ responses in this thread*

Wow I must’ve missed out on some good stuff! :rock:

*After 3 pages of a bet argument*

5CFDE96C-E6D9-4158-A1BD-30453E28ED72.jpeg

The horror of having to move one finger 2 inches to scroll past several posts......the horror.

i kid

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The horror of having to move one finger 2 inches to scroll past several posts......the horror.

haha  I was honestly laughing at the whole thing. It was funny because I literally have arguments about similar things with people at my school. (Just so you know I had no ulterior motives to incite a fight)

Today we were discussing the real reason Disney is the 2nd highest consumer of explosives (1st is army). We believe they have the intent to control the media, lmao  

I love the teenage minds of high school seniors in Econ class. 

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

haha  I was honestly laughing at the whole thing. It was funny because I literally have arguments about similar things with people at my school. (Just so you know I had no ulterior motives to incite a fight)

Today we were discussing the real reason Disney is the 2nd highest consumer of explosives (1st is army). We believe they have the intent to control the media, lmao  

I love the teenage minds of high school seniors in Econ class. 

I was once one of those students ( I once debated with a pole) but have mellowed and much more a Role Model/Mentor in my current position 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Do you teach HS Gov/Econ?

My dad taught HS Social Studies(US History/World History/Government/Humanities) for 43 Years and that was my original goal in college

No, nor do I want to. 

Im 18, so I’m a youngster no doubt on this forum. 

A boy amonst men (and women) if you will