Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts possibly one of the teams linked to Dontari Poe?

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO....    defensive tackle is the strongest position group on the roster....

We have a ton of needs on both sides of the ball...   not sure why we'd spend free agency cash on a position of strength?

I'd pass....

I agree but I also don’t mind getting better. No harm in putting our feelers. He only got  a 1 yr contract last year..maybe we get him fairly cheap. While I like our DL it is switching up and maybe Ballard is worried about Anderson and Ridgeway etc. We’ve always struggled to stop the run so maybe we stock up. We generated little pass rush from our interior as well so maybe he wants some more of that too. Who knows.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO....    defensive tackle is the strongest position group on the roster....

We have a ton of needs on both sides of the ball...   not sure why we'd spend free agency cash on a position of strength?

I'd pass....

Yeah, this 'news' seems more like connecting the dots because we wanted him last year than any concrete information. I would be surprised if we pursued Poe in this free agency. 

Although I agree DT depth it pretty good, nothing wrong with adding more talent to a position group IF the price is right.

Which I doubt it will be. The last thing I want is Poe signing like a 5 year deal, especially since his production has kinda dipped the last few years.

Ballard didn't want to give him that huge deal last year. I doubt he would this time.

13 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Pass getting up there in age and production has really fallen off past two years. This would be a grigson type signing

Up there in age?  He's not even 30 yet.  I'm not against having a big guy to occupy blockers along the line.  Just wouldn't want to break the bank for him

Post the original twitter link by La Canfora, it's not nonsense.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with this. We're switching to a 4-3 so we need another DT, and Poe would really help in the run game. Additionally, he played well with the Falcons, so I'm ok with giving him a 3 year contract.

18 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7422/dontari-poe

says he's not expected to resign with Atlanta. Could be interesting teaming him up with Hankins if it happens.

Yes, having two $9M slow  2-down tackles that can't pressure the QB would be smart.
BTW, Al Woods had more tackles than DP last season.
Oh, and we have a developing Big in Grover Stewart that could be better than Poe in 2019-2020 when we actually have a chance to compete at the highest level.
 Zero % chance Ballard gives this a 2nd thought. He is looking for a DT that can get to the QB, Period!!

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Up there in age?  He's not even 30 yet.  I'm not against having a big guy to occupy blockers along the line.  Just wouldn't want to break the bank for him

I agree 100%, plus he's better against the pass. Prolly get 5 sacks oughta him and someone to take double teams off our edge guys on 3rd down. 

But yea only if the price is right.

23 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont quite understand the need for him. Big Al is fine to me.

31 years old, and we don't know if he fits into a 4-3.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I still dont understand what's driving the interest. I dont think he'd do much more than Big Al

Played well, and still relatively young. Ballard would know him the best. If it means anything, he was pretty highly rated by PFF.

There are several DTs available this offseason (Wilkerson, Richardson, Lotulelei, Poe, Logan, etc.)...if Ballard is interested in adding to the DL he should just wait it out and see who is left.

I am all for it if i makes sense though. The DL is the strongest group on the Colts, but it's now without question marks (Woods' age, Stewart and Ridgeway unknowns, Anderson's fit, etc.). But my preference would not be Poe.

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

31 years old, and we don't know if he fits into a 4-3.

Played well, and still relatively young. Ballard would know him the best. If it means anything, he was pretty highly rated by PFF.

Big Al has played in both systems. I just don't think Poe will clog the middle any more than Al. Poe isn't known for sacks either. Not sure why wed need all 3 of them unless they are trying to get rid of Al or maybe Margus Hunt. I think Ridgeway is up and coming. He had 3 sacks last year and some nice run stuffs. He should break out this year. I think this new scheme is going to fit Stewart well. I feel we should be bringing in another 3 technique type penetrator to go along with Ridgeway. Either through FA or the draft. That and adding two more DE.

I'm assuming if this rumor is true that Ballard id looking at Poes younger age and the fact he should already know the defensive scheme coming from Atlanta. If they do pick him up and get rid of Al id also like to see them bring in Sheldon Richardson to pair with Ridgeway.

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm assuming if this rumor is true that Ballard id looking at Poes younger age and the fact he should already know the defensive scheme coming from Atlanta. If they do pick him up and get rid of Al id also like to see them bring in Sheldon Richardson to pair with Ridgeway.

So we'd have Hankins, Poe, Richardson and Ridgeway? That's too much going to DTs, combined with Hankins we'd have likely 25-30 million dollars invested between 3 DTs 

19 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

So we'd have Hankins, Poe, Richardson and Ridgeway? That's too much going to DTs, combined with Hankins we'd have likely 25-30 million dollars invested between 3 DTs 

Probably right. Just thinking up stuff

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Big Al has played in both systems. I just don't think Poe will clog the middle any more than Al. Poe isn't known for sacks either. Not sure why wed need all 3 of them unless they are trying to get rid of Al or maybe Margus Hunt. I think Ridgeway is up and coming. He had 3 sacks last year and some nice run stuffs. He should break out this year. I think this new scheme is going to fit Stewart well. I feel we should be bringing in another 3 technique type penetrator to go along with Ridgeway. Either through FA or the draft. That and adding two more DE.

We don't really need Poe for sacks though. With him and Hankins the Run D would be really good.

7 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

We don't really need Poe for sacks though. With him and Hankins the Run D would be really good.

Big Al clogs up the middle in the run game just as well and probably even better the past few seasons. At best it would be a expensive marginal upgrade to the strongest part of our team.