Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts on Short List for Jarvis Landry Trade

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Landry, but I still think that Miami will rescind the tag and he will be a FA when all is said and done...

If Ballard does trade for him, it would have to be with a longer deal in mind to offset his big # for this season... No reason to rent him for 14mil. before a transitional season where we wont likely compete for a championship. 

The big attration with Landry is his consistency and production, something we just dont have in our reciever corps. I love Hilton, I think he is top WR with Luck throwing, but he is typically either playing brilliant or below average. Moncrief is even more inconsistent and really poor at catching in traffic, like Dorsett previously. With Landry you get consistent and high volume production every week. He will help also at 3rd downs where we were terrible.

That said he is a hard pass for me. I just dont want to be giving out that sort of money to a reciever when we already have Hilton on big money too, together they would account for $30 million of cap space which is too much. I dont think i would even give Miami a 4th round pick.

7 hours ago, SolidGold said:

Check the numbers. He is elite. :scratch:

Not a single game with 100+ yards this year? Ok. He’s certainly good and gets a lot of catches, but there’s a difference between good and elite. TY isn’t even elite. Imo the only elite receivers are AB, Julio, Deandre, and OBJ. These are guys who can take over any game no matter who is guarding them.

9 hours ago, SolidGold said:

Size doesn't matter when your better than the man defending you.

He's too slow to play outside (4.77 40 at the combine), which means you're losing any versatility you have with moving guys around. He only gets open because of his exceptional route running.

Led the* league *

Not sure if you're aware, but you can edit posts so that you don't have to post a separate correction.

Nope. Not at all. Why would we be looking for a elite wr that can actually catch the ball besides Hilton.. Nope don't need him at all.:sarcasm:

I don't consider him elite. He's a very good Slot WR, but he's not a guy that can take over a game and just dominate. He also shouldn't be paid like one. He's nowhere near the level of AB, Julio Jones, or OBJ.

There's also positional value that comes into play. Why don't good Slot WR's get paid top $$? Because finding similarly skilled players that could have similar levels of production are much easier to find than another Juilo, AB, or OBJ.

Landry also really benefited from terrible QB play where they used the checkdown option more often than not.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is the same story that floated around here a day or two ago...

I think Stampede Blue is just re-packaging it....   I'm personally not wild about this deal unless Landry is signed to a reasonable 5-year deal...   that said, the idea of having our two wide receivers be 5'9" and 5'11" doesn't thrill me one bit...

So I'm not convinced....

You can say that again get us a big target 

What I could see working here is something similar to the Peters trade.  We don't swap 1st's but we trade our 3rd. rd. pick and Brisett for Landry and their 4th.  They get Brisett, a backup QB, to compete with Tannehil and our 3rd. We get a starter in Landry and their 4th.  We sign a veteran backup in FA. We still have seven picks and our 1st two picks before any other trades.  They don't want to pay him and we can work something out.  They want to move him.  We have the leverage IMO but I don't think we have to trade one of our top two picks to do it.  I'm really hoping Watkins gets free.  That's the guy I really want.  

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

What I could see working here is something similar to the Peters trade.  We don't swap 1st's but we trade our 3rd. rd. pick and Brisett for Landry and their 4th.  They get Brisett, a backup QB, to compete with Tannehil and our 3rd. We get a starter in Landry and their 4th.  We sign a veteran backup in FA. We still have seven picks and our 1st two picks before any other trades.  They don't want to pay him and we can work something out.  They want to move him.  We have the leverage IMO but I don't think we have to trade one of our top two picks to do it.  I'm really hoping Watkins gets free.  That's the guy I really want.  

Trading Brissett before we see exactly what Luck is going to do would be a big mistake.

9 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I love Landry, but I still think that Miami will rescind the tag and he will be a FA when all is said and done...

If Ballard does trade for him, it would have to be with a longer deal in mind to offset his big # for this season... No reason to rent him for 14mil. before a transitional season where we wont likely compete for a championship. 

can they do that after he's tagged?

If we can get him for a mid round pick (4-5th) I would be alright with it. The more I look, the more I'm just not that impressed with him. He can't get open on the outside (when Ballard was asked about what kind of WRs he was looking for he said "the kind that can get open"). Sure, he's very good in the slot, but 15 million for a slot guy when we already have a very good slot guy on the team? I would rather throw the money at Robinson and keep our picks IMO.

I'd love to have Landry on the Colts for the right deal.

For those that say he's 'Okay or average"  all he's done is set the NFL record for most receptions in the first 4 years.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/05/dolphins-wr-jarvis-landry-set-nfl-receptions-record-for-first-four-seasons/

It's clear that Landry is elite, and elite players get paid. If you want elite players on the Colts, then you have to be willing to pay, otherwise you have a roster of average/slightly above average players, with a few exceptions (Luck, T.Y.).

40 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

If we can get him for a mid round pick (4-5th) I would be alright with it. The more I look, the more I'm just not that impressed with him. He can't get open on the outside (when Ballard was asked about what kind of WRs he was looking for he said "the kind that can get open"). Sure, he's very good in the slot, but 15 million for a slot guy when we already have a very good slot guy on the team? I would rather throw the money at Robinson and keep our picks IMO.

Remember just because he wants 15m or whatever the number is doesn't mean he's going to get it.  He really doesn't have the leverage.  He can get his one year deal on the Tag and then risk going out and getting hurt. It happened to a lot of receivers last year.  If he wants a multiyear deal he's going to have to be very flexible.  If we trade for him Ballard will make sure it's a good deal for us. 

14 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/3/1/17069966/colts-reportedly-on-short-list-of-teams-to-watch-in-potential-acquisition-of-jarvis-landry

what do y’all think?

maybe swap our number 3 pick for him, their 11 pick and maybe their 2nd round pick. 

I don't like moving from 3 to 11. 

You don't get ---- you shouldn't get --- top 5, top 10 picks in the draft that often. You need stars. Grab one when you can.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

For those that say he's 'Okay or average"  all he's done is set the NFL record for most receptions in the first 4 years.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/05/dolphins-wr-jarvis-landry-set-nfl-receptions-record-for-first-four-seasons/

It's clear that Landry is elite, and elite players get paid. If you want elite players on the Colts, then yo have to be willing to pay, otherwise you have a roster of average/slightly above average players, with a few exceptions (Luck, T.Y.).

:td:

There is a trade off between draft pick and salary cap hit.  You DONT give up a high pick AND incur cap hit.  Its one OR the other.

If a player has a high cap hit, that means we could sign him as a FA.  I know there is a franchise tag preventing him being signed as a FA, but that doesn't change the economics of it.

If Landry comes with a high cap hit equal to a top 5 WR at his position, the value for him AND the contract is no more than a 4th round pick, at best.

Effectively, the Dolphins tag him to get a mid to late round pick instead of letting him walk.  That's it.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

can they do that after he's tagged?

Ive heard that they can.. Up to a certain date (before the 14th, obviously) has something to do with whether Landry signs it or not... I've also heard that tags usually aren't signed until the last minute in most cases, just in case. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can edify us. 

14 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I'd switch our No.1 with their No.1 for the rights to Landry...

.....We would have an air force that few could contain and we'd still pick 11th in the first round and 3rd in the second round.

There probably isnt anyone like Landry  the draft..and we can afford to pay him the $15 mil he wants

Edited by oldunclemark

7 hours ago, Flash7 said:

It's clear that Landry is elite, and elite players get paid. If you want elite players on the Colts, then you have to be willing to pay, otherwise you have a roster of average/slightly above average players, with a few exceptions (Luck, T.Y.).

Preach, Flash.  Tell it like it is

Edited by oldunclemark

19 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Pass. That’s a terrible and expensive deal for a 1 year rental. He’s not elite. He’s a tier 2 WR. He’s solid but not really a game changer. 

He caught 112 passes last year and scored 9 TD's and nearly had 1,000 yards.

Did I mention Ryan Tannehill didn't play at all last season?

If the Colts got him they have a full year to work out a long-term contract. Ballard wouldn't trade for him unless he was confident he could keep Landry in Indianapolis for several years.

We have the cap space to make it happen.

I'm all in. Hilton and Landry spreading the field together would be fun to watch! Especially with Luck back.

27 minutes ago, King! said:

If the Colts got him they have a full year to work out a long-term contract. Ballard wouldn't trade for him unless he was confident he could keep Landry in Indianapolis for several years.

I'm all in. Hilton and Landry spreading the field together would be fun to watch! Especially with Luck back.

He’s good, not elite. I’d like him, but not for what OP was suggesting we trade for him. If Ballard doesn’t want to pay him 15+ million a year, then he’s gone after one season.  If he does then that’s almost $30 million for 2 slot receivers. Why not try to sign Allen Robinson for less money even though he has a higher ceiling. We save money, get a better receiver, and don’t have to trade for him.

1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

He’s good, not elite. I’d like him, but not for what OP was suggesting we trade for him. If Ballard doesn’t want to pay him 15+ million a year, then he’s gone after one season.  If he does then that’s almost $30 million for 2 slot receivers. Why not try to sign Allen Robinson for less money even though he has a higher ceiling. We save money, get a better receiver, and don’t have to trade for him.

Besides AB and Julio who is better than T.Y & Landry ? What do you expect them to get paid ? Baldwin isn't better than any of them and he got his pay day. Colts have the money and could work it out im sure for a better deal and we all win.

This lack of respect for Hilton is crazy. Was Marvin Harrison a slot receiver? Hilton dominates on the outside and in the slot and Landry dominates in the slot at the highest level. Being small doesn't hurt their games or the team they play for.

21 minutes ago, SolidGold said:

Besides AB and Julio who is better than T.Y & Landry ? What do you expect them to get paid ? Baldwin isn't better than any of them and he got his pay day. Colts have the money and could work it out im sure for a better deal and we all win.

I would rank them:

Tier 1(elite):

1. AB

2. Julio

3. Deandre Hopkins

4. OBJ

tier 2:

5. Michael Thomas 

6. AJ Green

7. TY

8. Keenan Allen

9. Davante Adams

10. Tyreek Hill

15ish. Jarvis Landry

I like Landry. He is a very tough firey receiver. He is super productive...moves chains and is even a good red zone target (not always case with slot receivers). That all said I’m not trading for him. I’m not helping the Dolphins out of a jam they have with their cap. I call their bluff. They can’t afford him and will rescind their tag and we can sign him outright.

7 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I would rank them:

Tier 1(elite):

1. AB

2. Julio

3. Deandre Hopkins

4. OBJ

tier 2:

5. Michael Thomas 

6. AJ Green

7. TY

8. Keenan Allen

9. Davante Adams

10. Tyreek Hill

15ish. Jarvis Landry

Which means he is still better than the #1 receiver on half the teams in the NFL. Not sure what elite is...but he is a pro bowl receiver and better than anyone we’ve paired TY with since he has been here(including an old Reggie Wayne). I’m only paying for him though...not giving Miami anything...they have no leverage. They just took on Quinn’s huge contract and have Parker and Stills...call their bluff and sign him as a free agent.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Which means he is still better than the #1 receiver on half the teams in the NFL. Not sure what elite is...but he is a pro bowl receiver and better than anyone we’ve paired TY with since he has been here(including an old Reggie Wayne). I’m only paying for him though...not giving Miami anything...they have no leverage. They just took on Quinn’s huge contract and have Parker and Stills...call their bluff and sign him as a free agent.

Ya I agree with everything you said. He’s a good, consistent receiver. I would say elite players are the best of the best, always in the conversation for being the best at their position.

Trading for him is too much to ask. I’d pay a premium for him if he was a FA but not if we had to trade for him. I still think there are better options though. I’d like to have a big receiver to pair with TY like Allen Robinson or Josh Gordon. 

32 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I would rank them:

Tier 1(elite):

1. AB

2. Julio

3. Deandre Hopkins

4. OBJ

tier 2:

5. Michael Thomas 

6. AJ Green

7. TY

8. Keenan Allen

9. Davante Adams

10. Tyreek Hill

15ish. Jarvis Landry

I’m not liking this list at all. 

1 hour ago, King! said:

Ballard would not trade at all for him if it wasn't a sign and trade. Without a contract in hand he is not coming to the Colts.

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I like Landry. He is a very tough firey receiver. He is super productive...moves chains and is even a good red zone target (not always case with slot receivers). That all said I’m not trading for him. I’m not helping the Dolphins out of a jam they have with their cap. I call their bluff. They can’t afford him and will rescind their tag and we can sign him outright.

It looks like that's a strategy that might play out.  But if Landry signs the tag they are stuck and then if they want to move him it has to be a trade.