Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson with 35 reps on the bench today

Just now, TheMarine said:

Chubb Nelson and Barkley are all as close to "cant miss" as you can get. Still rank them

1) Chubb
2) Nelson
3) Barkley

Id feel great taking any of them

I put Barkley at the bottom because of the RB class and other needs

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I put Barkley at the bottom because of the RB class and other needs

More or less agree. I think we can get a good enough back in later rounds who can start and change the game. Barkley may be HOF, but tbh a back scares me at the top of a draft for health reasons most of all. Pure talent, I go

Barkely
Nelson
Chubb

37 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Chubb Nelson and Barkley are all as close to "cant miss" as you can get. Still rank them

1) Chubb
2) Nelson
3) Barkley

Id feel great taking any of them

Ranking in terms of talent or in terms of value.

In terms of talent you have reversed Chubb and Barkley.

In terms of value you are spot on.  In the NFL a "good" pass rusher is more valuable then a great RB.  That's just the reality.  Look at who get's paid.

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ranking in terms of talent or in terms of value.

In terms of talent you have reversed Chubb and Barkley.

In terms of value you are spot on.  In the NFL a "good" pass rusher is more valuable then a great RB.  That's just the reality.  Look at who get's paid.

LeVeon Bell is about to get 15 million per year..

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

LeVeon Bell is about to get 15 million per year..

If he did he would be an extreme outlier.  And I really really don't see him getting that much money.  He might want that much.  I really doubt he gets that much.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm looking for the info but I seriously doubt Nelson's 35 beats all other OL by 8...

If it's true, that the next highest O-lineman's total is just 27, that would be a HUGE black eye on this OL class.   I know he had 8 more than McGlinchey, but the list says 8 more than any other lineman.

I'm hoping this is not true.   Terrible if true...

That's what I thought I heard them say. I could have heard it wrong.

5 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I'd question that too.  I don't have the numbers in front of me but 35 reps is a pretty good number for an OL it's not an unheard of number.

And Walterfootball has Hernandez pushing out 37 reps.  

4 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

I'm not blaming you....     but it's not correct.

Here's the page from NFL.com from last year's combine,.

There are 4 OL who had 34 or 35 reps on the bench press....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2017&workout=BENCH_PRESS&position=QB-RB-WR-TE-S-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Way too much is made out of combine numbers.  Bench press, 40 time, none of these things really correlate to being a good football player.

Tell that to the NFL people who run this event.     They find this helpful.    

They try not to do things that aaren't important to football.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Way too much is made out of combine numbers.  Bench press, 40 time, none of these things really correlate to being a good football player.

I think it shows an athletic ceiling for a player.  

There's obviously a lot more to it but most of that stuff can be taught if a player is coachable and smart.  The thing that limits their ceiling is athletic ability.

I have a guy at work who's saying bench is overrated too but he's saying 3 cone and wonderlic might be important.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tell that to the NFL people who run this event.     They find this helpful.    

They try not to do things that aaren't important to football.

Mike Mayock has said himself the Combine is more for confirming what you've seen on film.  For example, if a guy on film looks like a 4.4 runner, but comes to the Combine and runs a 4.7, you might need to go back and re-watch the film.  He's also said he thinks the bench press is more for seeing a guy's commitment to the weight room (in a good way, eg. does this guy work hard?) rather than how much strength he plays with.

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Bench press is pretty valuable when evaluating interior OL.

I wouldn't say that.  The top bench press performers from years past generally aren't standout NFL players

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't say that.  The top bench press performers from years past generally aren't standout NFL players

I didn't say it was the end all be all, but you can't have weak OL. I'm sure if you look at the greats, especially interior guys, they all tested above average in their bench test.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I didn't say it was the end all be all, but you can't have weak OL. I'm sure if you look at the greats, especially interior guys, they all tested above average in their bench test.

Brandon Scherff did 23 reps.  Not above average at all for OL. 

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Brandon Scherff did 23 reps.  Not above average at all for OL. 

So you're saying he's an outlier? He played OT in college and got moved to guard when he was drafted. I'm sure his strength has went up due to having to play inside as opposed to playing outside. 

40 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Mike Mayock has said himself the Combine is more for confirming what you've seen on film.  For example, if a guy on film looks like a 4.4 runner, but comes to the Combine and runs a 4.7, you might need to go back and re-watch the film.  He's also said he thinks the bench press is more for seeing a guy's commitment to the weight room (in a good way, eg. does this guy work hard?) rather than how much strength he plays with.

OK.....

But I think that makes my point and not yours.     If it's helpful in some way or another,  then they do it...

Is there any way to draft both Chubb and Nelson to the Colts? I’d love them both and Ballard has said he wants to build up the trenches first and foremost!! If somehow we could land both of these guys talk about instant impact on both offense and defense!