Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Combine - Player Measurements

I will be posting the anthropometric measurements. Today the first measurements of the OL, ST and RB groups are expected to start leaking at some point... Here's the full schedule of the event:

Day one arrivals: Group 1(PK, ST, OL), Group 2(OL), and Group 3(RB)

Tuesday, February 27th - Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Overflow Testing ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Wednesday, February 28th Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Overflow Testing ~ Interviews

Thursday, March 1st - Psychological Testing ~ NFLPA Meeting ~ PK/ST Workout ~ Media ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Friday, March 2nd - On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

Day two arrivals: Group 4 (QB, WO), Group 5(QB, WO), Group 6(TE)

Wednesday, February 28th - Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Overflow Testing ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Thursday, March 1st Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Overflow Testing ~ Interviews

Friday, March 2nd - Psychological Testing ~ NFLPA Meeting ~ Media ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Saturday, March 3rd - On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

Day three arrivals: Group 7(DL), Group 8 (DL), and Group 9(LB)

Thursday, March 1st - Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Overflow Testing ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Friday, March 2nd Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Overflow Testing ~ Interviews

Saturday, March 3rd - Psychological Testing ~ NFLPA Meeting ~ Media ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Sunday, March 4th - On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

Day four arrivals: Group 10(DB), and Group 11(DB)

Friday, March 2nd - Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Overflow Testing ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Saturday, March 3rd Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Overflow Testing ~ Interviews

Sunday, March 4th - Psychological Testing ~ NFLPA Meeting ~ Media ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Monday, March 5th - On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

Here's a measurements tracker:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/nfl-scouting-combine-2018-player-measurement-tracker/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First big name measurement is out:

He is a specimen of a football player! 

Tyrell Crosby seems like he's in great shape. From what I've heard the question about him has been that he was having trouble keeping weight off... he's measuring at a great 309lbs at 6-4 5/8... large hands, huge arms and wingspan. Nice! He was one of the best pass-protecting OTs in college last year. 

^Alex Cappa comes in with very short arms! Interesting. I wonder if this will hurt his stock? Maybe transition to guard? 

^^^ huge wingspan and arm length! 

^I like this guy! Very good measurements too. 

^kind of short'ish arms. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Damn! They might really need to try him at G! 33 inch arms! Wow! I expected higher. He might drop to us! I hope he drops to us! Please, drop to us! I would still take him in the second if he drops! 

^^he's gained some weight. I wonder how his interviews will go, 

Here's the RBs measurements! 

^^^^ BEAST! 

^^^ those are all starting level RBs IMO. 

^^^ some really good measurements by all of those listed so far.

^this guy is very intriguing as a change of pace RB. 

^ I don't know if Ronald Jones is hurt by measuring at just 205? This seems light. He better be real fast. 

^^Ballage is interesting. I wonder if he gets out of round day 2? 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Barkley should have come in at least 5 pounds lighter, maybe more.

At least he's 6'0" and not 5'11".   There's a plus for him.

Nah! That's good. From what I've heard he played at about that weight. I wouldn't change anything about it. Barkley is a physical specimen of a human beast. Now watch him run in the 4.3s at 233. 

6'0  over 230lbs has always been the book on Barkley.  His size is what makes everything else so ridiculous.  

I like Freeman at 229lbs no real surprises. Wadley from Iowa can do somethings He's only 194 so he needs to go to the right place. He can line up in the slot or out wide too. Iowa put him everywhere. 

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

6'0  over 230lbs has always been the book on Barkley.  His size is what makes everything else so ridiculous.  

I like Freeman at 229lbs no real surprises. Wadley from Iowa can do somethings He's only 194 so he needs to go to the right place. He can line up in the slot or out wide too. Iowa put him everywhere. 

Barkley shows up 3 pounds over listed weight...    it's not much...   but most players whose game is based around speed come in under weight, not over weight,  to help with all their testing.

As for Freeman...   I read recently where he had gained basically 10 pounds during his season and played at nearly 240.    Now he's sub-230.    This is where he needs to be.   I hope he dropped the baggage because he realizes he needs to play at this weight and not just for testing purposes...    he's a naturally thick guy and his weight needs to be monitored..

57 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

From the OL measurements, I think Williams and Rankins are guards. Personally I’d take Williams in the 2nd to play guard. That’s a day one starter there. Could be the next Scherff. If the Colts trade down, they may not need to get a OG in FA. They could draft 2.

Sub 300 is not great for a guard.    Any guard.

295 pound Williams...  320 pound Scherff.   And the comparison is...   what?!?   (I get it, tackles that move inside to guard.) 

I've read that scouts think Rankins' best spot may wind up being at....    center.

And why would you want to DRAFT two guards?   Yuk!   

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

295 pound Williams...  320 pound Scherff.   And the comparison is...   what?!?

I've read that scouts think Rankins' best spot may wind up being at....    center.

I still would draft him and still put him at RT(until he proves he cannot cut it at RT, only then would I think about moving him inside). And with his arm measurement it might be more likely that he drops to R2. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Barkley shows up 3 pounds over listed weight...    it's not much...   but most players whose game is based around speed come in under weight, not over weight,  to help with all their testing.

Most guys aren't Barkley.  This is why he has all the hype behind him.  He will run in the 4.3's and have the best broad jump and vertical.  He will show you all that speed and explosion he has and not a single GM will care that he is 3 pounds over 230.  That is a single day of running and sweating out water.  Not a big deal at all.

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Most guys aren't Barkley.  This is why he has all the hype behind him.  He will run in the 4.3's and have the best broad jump and vertical.  He will show you all that speed and explosion he has and not a single GM will care that he is 3 pounds over 230.  That is a single day of running and sweating out water.  Not a big deal at all.

I will still not campaign for him as a Colt target unless every other need is addressed in FA or trade

2 hours ago, stitches said:

^ I don't know if Ronald Jones is hurt by measuring at just 205? This seems light. He better be real fast. 

^^Ballage is interesting. I wonder if he gets out of round day 2? 

It's no surprise that Ronald Jones is that light. It's been the big knock on him going into the the draft process, but he's definitely quick and has pretty good long speed. I really like his running style. Just wish he was a bit heavier..

Kalen Ballage has great measurables and looks the part, but his tape doesn't do anything for me. He's definitely a North/South runner, but he runs too upright and because of that, doesn't have the wiggle to get through tight spots. He's typically going to burst through a big hole or run into the back of the OL. I see him as more of a 3rd round guy, but I think a team will take shot at him higher just because of his measurables..

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

295 pound Williams...  320 pound Scherff.   And the comparison is...   what?!?   (I get it, tackles that move inside to guard.) 

295 isn’t terrible. He could easily add 10-15 pounds if not more. He’s got the frame for it. 

And Id draft 2 guards because it’s cheaper and better long term.

39 minutes ago, Shive said:

It's no surprise that Ronald Jones is that light. It's been the big knock on him going into the the draft process, but he's definitely quick and has pretty good long speed. I really like his running style. Just wish he was a bit heavier..

Kalen Ballage has great measurables and looks the part, but his tape doesn't do anything for me. He's definitely a North/South runner, but he runs too upright and because of that, doesn't have the wiggle to get through tight spots. He's typically going to burst through a big hole or run into the back of the OL. I see him as more of a 3rd round guy, but I think a team will take shot at him higher just because of his measurables..

I don't see Jones as being a lead guy.   I see a complimentary back.   A good one to be sure, but not an every down back.

Ballage came on my radar a few years ago..   he had a game -- one game -- where he had SEVEN rushing TDs..  That'll get your attention.   And then I saw his tape...   not impressive..   the TDs were all gimmick -- all from the Wildcat..  he shows poor vision...  as Shive said, there's a lot if running into the backs of his lineman.    

To me Ballage is a first round athlete and a seventh round back.   I wouldn't consider him before round five or six.  If someone else wants him before then -- great -- let them.   Not for me.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm questioning Gruden's logic.  Kind of glad we didn't go after him now.  Which is tough for me to admit but I was a HUGE proponent of Gruden last year. But not with that mindset

I don’t really see a problem 

All he is really saying is that he doesn’t go in for the “Moneyball” analytics but I am very similar and put much more into personal contacts and video 

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Jones as being a lead guy.   I see a complimentary back.   A good one to be sure, but not an every down back.

Ballage came on my radar a few years ago..   he had a game -- one game -- where he had SEVEN rushing TDs..  That'll get your attention.   And then I saw his tape...   not impressive..   the TDs were all gimmick -- all from the Wildcat..  he shows poor vision...  as Shive said, there's a lot if running into the backs of his lineman.    

To me Ballage is a first round athlete and a seventh round back.   I wouldn't consider him before round five or six.  If someone else wants him before then -- great -- let them.   Not for me.

I agree 100%. Jones seems to be way too similar of a back to Mack for it to make sense for us to draft him. Your last line is the absolute truth..

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I will still not campaign for him as a Colt target unless every other need is addressed in FA or trade

Oh I am not saying to draft him at all.  I think he will be a very good player but I personally would rather have other players. 

Conor Williams is likely a Day 2 player, based on measurements. Now I understand why there were skeptics. I still love his tape, but there are teams that will not draft a tackle with less than 34" arms. He's probably off the board for 10-12 teams.

Barkley is an inch taller than expected, and maybe slightly heavier than I thought he would be at the Combine. I've been skeptical that he's actually a 4.3 guy, and I still am, but if he runs an impressive 40 that will somewhat validate all this talk about him being a freak of nature. If he runs a 4.5, I'll continue to think he's a little overhyped.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Barkley is an inch taller than expected, and maybe slightly heavier than I thought he would be at the Combine. I've been skeptical that he's actually a 4.3 guy, and I still am, but if he runs an impressive 40 that will somewhat validate all this talk about him being a freak of nature. If he runs a 4.5, I'll continue to think he's a little overhyped.

Yeah I am expecting a 4.4 to maybe 4.42 around that area. That would be solid for a guy built like him/his size. A 4.5 would be disappointing no doubt.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am expecting a 4.4 to maybe 4.42 around that area. That would be solid for a guy built like him/his size. A 4.5 would be disappointing no doubt.

To add to this Dalvin Cook ran a 4.49, C McCaffrey ran a 4.48 at the combine. Adrian Peterson ran a 4.4 flat. I expect Barkley at 4.4 as well to prove he is a freak.