Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns WILL 1000% take Barkley at 1, it's a lock

2 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

I don't think they will draft a qb. they got one last year in the 2nd round maybe they think that he can develop.

if I was them I would go with Barkley with the first and Nelson with the 4th

Make no mistake...   Cleveland WILL draft a quarterback.     The only questions are who and with which pick.    But it WILL happen.

The Browns were not happy with what they saw from Keizer last season.   They have no choice but to draft one.  Not drafting one is NOT an option.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Make no mistake...   Cleveland WILL draft a quarterback.     The only questions are who and with which pick.    But it WILL happen.

The Browns were not happy with what they saw from Keizer last season.   They have no choice but to draft one.  Not drafting one is NOT an option.

Ok didn't know they were unhappy with Keizer. then they will take a qb with first pick--but what about that 4th pick would they trade out? Barkley may not be there for them. could they take a wr with the 4th? Is there a wr worth the 4th pick?

13 hours ago, stitches said:

This is NOT how one drafts a QB. "Oh, well... we are going to take whoever is left". Teams target specific QBs and rarely love 3-4 prospects at the same level... and even if that's the case they still have preferences. The only way to guarantee they will get the one they prefer is to draft him no. 1... 

well said...stitch....The Browns may take Barkley..but it wont be with the No.1 pick.

If they don't pick the QB they want at No.1 .....he may not be there at '4'

..and they have other painful needs other than a RB (Yes, I'm Mr. Obvious)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

Ok didn't know they were unhappy with Keizer. then they will take a qb with first pick--but what about that 4th pick would they trade out? Barkley may not be there for them. could they take a wr with the 4th? Is there a wr worth the 4th pick?

Actually , no,  there's no WR good enough to go top-5...   not clear if there's one good for top-10 (Ripley).  

Cleveland actually took FIVE receivers in a draft a few years ago.    And they have a ton of picks this year so they may take more this year.

They have so many needs that there will be a player worth taking fourth overall.   Someone like Fitzpatrick could be their guy if Barkley is gone by then.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People keep saying Rosen said he didn't want to play for the Browns. I thought that was Darnold that actually said that back I think in November.

It definitely wasn't Darnold.   Good kid.

And Rosen has denied saying it as well.  

I think this is a non-story unless it turns into one down the road...

• Like 1

A couple of things about this thread scenario........

#1) If the Browns take Barkley, I become seriously concerned that the Giants take Chubb (if they don't trade out) they need QB,RB, and a JPP heir apparent. among other things....could leave the Colts holding the anyone want a QB pick at #3.

#2) If the Browns see all QB's as equal.........I would question their scouting department......AND.....I would say why draft a QB at all in the first round, because I don't think anyone is anointing this quartet as the best QB class ever....so why waste a top 10 pick on any QB in round 1.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, stitches said:

This is NOT how one drafts a QB. "Oh, well... we are going to take whoever is left". Teams target specific QBs and rarely love 3-4 prospects at the same level... and even if that's the case they still have preferences. The only way to guarantee they will get the one they prefer is to draft him no. 1... 

This is true.  

That said I believe the word is that the Browns love Mayfield.  And they seem to be the only ones with the interest in drafting him with a high pick.  

So odds are good they could grab Barkley #1 overall and wait til 4 to get Mayfield.  

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

This is true.  

That said I believe the word is that the Browns love Mayfield.  And they seem to be the only ones with the interest in drafting him with a high pick.  

So odds are good they could grab Barkley #1 overall and wait til 4 to get Mayfield.  

Nah, I think they go Minkah with #4. 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People keep saying Rosen said he didn't want to play for the Browns. I thought that was Darnold that actually said that back I think in November.

Neither of them said that. Rosen said he wants to go to the right team, even if it means he goes lower in the draft. The media inferred that he was sending a signal that he didn't want to be drafted by the Browns, but he didn't say that, at least not publicly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2017/12/27/ucla-quarterback-josh-rosen-doesnt-want-high-pick-wrong-team/983748001/

There was a report before UCLA's bowl game citing 'sources familiar with the situation' that said Rosen wouldn't want to play for the Browns, and would rather play for the Giants. That report went so far as to say that he might not declare for the draft if he thought the Browns wanted to draft him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21863509/josh-rosen-prefers-new-york-giants-cleveland-browns-hesitate-enter-draft-cleveland-commits-him

After that report, Darnold said he would be honored to play for any team.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-usc-qb-sam-darnold-2018-draft-browns-honored-to-play-any-team-josh-rosen/10fon8oftte991t4bpdiqnw5ot

Long story short, at most, Rosen hinted he might not want to be drafted by the Browns, while Darnold said he would play for any team that drafts him.

In reality, much ado about nothing. There are stories like this every year. There were some public comments from Myles Garrett last year that he didn't want to play for Cleveland. We see how that turned out...

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You Never been in Love with more than 1 girl at the same time?

You need to come down to South Beach. haha

You clearly have a warped sense of love....but I don’t want to distract from the thread.

Related to the Barkley thing....nobody knows what is going to happen...heck even Cleveland. The chances they don’t pick a qb are tiny. They will have a preference on a qb. Everyone does. No matter how twisted your view on love is when you have two girls in the same room and you have to decide which one to run after you always pick one. Like others have said...if you like Barkley so much you use those two seconds to move back up to 2 to get your guy. They have the most draft capital of any team. They can afford to trade up. Considering they have tons of needs like us I predict they stay put and hope Barkley falls in their lap or worse case they end up with Fitzpatrick. I think there is a better chance they draft qb 1st and then trade back the 4th to say Jets, Buffalo, or Arizona then they take Barkley at 1.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You clearly have a warped sense of love....but I don’t want to distract from the thread.

Related to the Barkley thing....nobody knows what is going to happen...heck even Cleveland. The chances they don’t pick a qb are tiny. They will have a preference on a qb. Everyone does. No matter how twisted your view on love is when you have two girls in the same room and you have to decide which one to run after you always pick one. Like others have said...if you like Barkley so much you use those two seconds to move back up to 2 to get your guy. They have the most draft capital of any team. They can afford to trade up. Considering they have tons of needs like us I predict they stay put and hope Barkley falls in their lap or worse case they end up with Fitzpatrick. I think there is a better chance they draft qb 1st and then trade back the 4th to say Jets, Buffalo, or Arizona then they take Barkley at 1.

Obviously you have no sense of humour... And doubt you have had much experience with women or anything else. Lol

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Neither of them said that. Rosen said he wants to go to the right team, even if it means he goes lower in the draft. The media inferred that he was sending a signal that he didn't want to be drafted by the Browns, but he didn't say that, at least not publicly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2017/12/27/ucla-quarterback-josh-rosen-doesnt-want-high-pick-wrong-team/983748001/

There was a report before UCLA's bowl game citing 'sources familiar with the situation' that said Rosen wouldn't want to play for the Browns, and would rather play for the Giants. That report went so far as to say that he might not declare for the draft if he thought the Browns wanted to draft him.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21863509/josh-rosen-prefers-new-york-giants-cleveland-browns-hesitate-enter-draft-cleveland-commits-him

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-usc-qb-sam-darnold-2018-draft-browns-honored-to-play-any-team-josh-rosen/10fon8oftte991t4bpdiqnw5ot

Long story short, at most, Rosen hinted he might not want to be drafted by the Browns, while Darnold said he would play for any team that drafts him.

In reality, much ado about nothing. There are stories like this every year. There were some public comments from Myles Garrett last year that he didn't want to play for Cleveland. We see how that turned out...

Yeah thanks, NewColts pretty much said the same thing to me as well.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Obviously you have no sense of humour... And doubt you have had much experience with women or anything else. Lol

Correct with the experience with women. I only have and desire experience with one woman...my wife. I now and never will be confused about that! ...but I do have a sense of humor...after all most of the opinions on this board I find hysterical. Lol However I do find most people’s definition of love very sad. No judgement though!

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah thanks, NewColts pretty much said the same thing to me as well.

Yep....lots of posturing on both sides. As for qbs there isn’t much difference going #1 or 2 or anything in the first money-wise. And the teams will often say they like multiple qbs to help with the little negotiating they do or with positioning for the draft. In the end what the teams want will likely work it’s way out as the players have little leverage. I would be surprised if Darnold wasn’t first pick. Have him sit behind McCarron for a year or whatever. I think Allen would have to light world on fire at pro days etc and I think Cleveland had been burnt already with the firey heisman winner that doesn’t exactly measure out or fit a traditional qb to go with Mayfield. I think Mayfield ends up being the qb that slides.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep....lots of posturing on both sides. As for qbs there isn’t much difference going #1 or 2 or anything in the first money-wise. And the teams will often say they like multiple qbs to help with the little negotiating they do or with positioning for the draft. In the end what the teams want will likely work it’s way out as the players have little leverage. I would be surprised if Darnold wasn’t first pick. Have him sit behind McCarron for a year or whatever. I think Allen would have to light world on fire at pro days etc and I think Cleveland had been burnt already with the firey heisman winner that doesn’t exactly measure out or fit a traditional qb to go with Mayfield. I think Mayfield ends up being the qb that slides.

If we needed a QB I am not sure who I would choose. I think between Darnold and Rosen it's a toss up. Wentz is better than Goff but Goff was Very Good last season for example.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we needed a QB I am not sure who I would choose. I think between Darnold and Rosen it's a toss up. Wentz is better than Goff but Goff was Very Good last season for example.

I have a feeling Rosen is gonna be a bust, just seems soft to me...Darnold looks franchise worthy, Allen has all the tools if he goes to right coach, and Mayfield has Drew Brees like abilty..I like Jackson too...There are some good QBs in this class the more I look into them...

• Like 1

Just now, jshipp23 said:

I have a feeling Rosen is gonna be a bust, just seems soft to me...Darnold looks franchise worthy, Allen has all the tools if he goes to right coach, and Mayfield has Drew Brees like abilty..I like Jackson too...There are some good QBs in this class the more I look into them...

Yeah to me it's a crapshoot, Allen may be the best out of all of them. I thought Goff would be a bust and it looked like I might be right after his rookie season, but he broke out in season 2.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would choose Allen probably...only because we have Reich as our coach. He worked very well with Wentz and Foles and I just think Allen with some good coaching intrigued me. Rosen is very spoiled seemingly and I don’t like his frame...gets banged up easily and plays terrible on road (got rattled). Darnold would be a close second but even he makes some bad decisions. Anyways that is my thinking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah to me it's a crapshoot, Allen may be the best out of all of them. I thought Goff would be a bust and it looked like I might be right after his rookie season, but he broke out in season 2.

I thought Goff was gonna bust too..Coaching makes such a huge difference, can't wait to see the change in Colts with Reich now..I think Brissett will thrive under him even if Luck never gets right..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As much as I have been right on guys like Hunt and Wentz who I thought would be Good, I have also have been wrong with guys like Bosa and Goff.

I hear that...I thought Shawn Oakman was gonna be good...haha

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I thought Goff was gonna bust too..Coaching makes such a huge difference, can't wait to see the change on Colts with Reich now..I think Brissett will thrive under him even if Luck never gets right..

The right staff makes a huge difference for a qb. Look at so many that under the a different coach and system really flourished. Foles, Keemun, A Smith, Goff, Palmer etc. The right situation is critical for qbs. The wrong one can break them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I hear that...I thought Shawn Oakman was gonna be good...haha

Yeah I have to think but I have had some more stinkers too. I would absolutely jump off of a cliff if we drafted Barkley and he was a bust. That would blow my mind and I would never trust another Draft pick again haha. I also knew Luck would be Good and RG3 would be injury prone but never in my wildest dreams, I thought Wilson would be so Good for Seattle lmao.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The right staff makes a huge difference for a qb. Look at so many that under the a different coach and system really flourished. Foles, Keemun, A Smith, Goff, Palmer etc. The right situation is critical for qbs. The wrong one can break them.

Foles is a great example of that no doubt.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, Indeee said:

Wanna wager? This is a NO Brainer and common sense. Stop dreaming, Barkley is one overall unless he gets hit by a truck

Average  Qbs are taken over great rbs almost every year.   It's been over 20 years since a rb went first overall,  and he was a bust.   AD went 7th .  

• Like 1

I have basically taken some heat over the past day since I have posted this, and we shall see come draft night, however I stand by my post/assertion.

I get where everyone seems to think that the Browns "MUST" take a QB at 1 overall but I'm telling you that neither one of the top 3 ( Rosen, Darnold, or Allen ) warrants that pick. Not one of these guys is head and shoulders above the rest and I would almost wager that when it came to the Browns, they might even think Mayfield is in the same class too. So again, because of this factor Barkley is a no brainer selection for a team.

Cleveland hasn't had a dominant running back for 53 years ( Jim Brown ). The only other RB worth mentioning for the Browns was Leroy Kelly and I guess none of you know who that is as that was over 45 years ago.

Barkley will be the pick. Cleveland finally stops being stupid and takes the BEST player in the draft, then grabs a QB at 4.

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Average  Qbs are taken over great rbs almost every year.   It's been over 20 years since a rb went first overall,  and he was a bust.   AD went 7th .  

Coincidentally, he went to Penn State too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Quite frankly I'm surprised that we don't see more players, especially QB's pull a John Elway or an Eli Manning on Cleveland.  

I mean the rules are set up so that all you would have to do is wait a year and you could be re-drafted.  More likely the team would trade your rights away to salvage something out of it.  

It's amazing to me that better teams like the Colts and the Chargers have had this happen to them.  But the Browns who's team name is a byword for losing havn't.  

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

I have basically taken some heat over the past day since I have posted this, and we shall see come draft night, however I stand by my post/assertion.

I get where everyone seems to think that the Browns "MUST" take a QB at 1 overall but I'm telling you that neither one of the top 3 ( Rosen, Darnold, or Allen ) warrants that pick. Not one of these guys is head and shoulders above the rest and I would almost wager that when it came to the Browns, they might even think Mayfield is in the same class too. So again, because of this factor Barkley is a no brainer selection for a team.

Cleveland hasn't had a dominant running back for 53 years ( Jim Brown ). The only other RB worth mentioning for the Browns was Leroy Kelly and I guess none of you know who that is as that was over 45 years ago.

Barkley will be the pick. Cleveland finally stops being stupid and takes the BEST player in the draft, then grabs a QB at 4.

Barkley won't help them make the playoffs. If any one of those QBs can be a franchise QB, they'd have made a mistake. If the Browns believe Darnold/Rosen can become a franchise QB, then they'll take them. You may think neither one warrants a first pick, but GMs and history will disagree.