Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns WILL 1000% take Barkley at 1, it's a lock

Guys/Girls

Look this is a guaranteed no brainer that I'm shocked no one is seeing here. Regardless of what Mayock, Kiper, McShay all say, the Browns will NOT take a QB at 1, it will be Barkley and here's why.

There are 3 Qb's that are the "top" prospects this year. Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. Mayfield is the 4th. Anyway, IMO going on a few things I have read so far and that I agree with, the Browns view these three guys virtually the same. All have different skill sets however none really separate themselves from one another as clear cut favorites so....

Browns take best player at 1 which is Barkley.

That means Giants would trade out 2nd overall pick or take a QB. Lets say Giants trade with Jets. Jets take Rosen. Or if Giants take Rosen, That leaves Darnold and Allen. 

Colts trade pick 3 or take Chubb. Lets say Colts trade with Bills. Bills take Darnold. That leaves Allen or lets say Colts stay put and take Chubb that leaves Allen and Darnold.

Browns on clock at 4, either pick from 2 still available or take whoever is left.

Browns get RB and QB. End of story. Based on where the Browns sit in the draft there is no way the Browns don't come away with both positional players of need and Dorsey knows this.

My point is there is NO WAY this scenario doesn't play out this way except the name of the QB the Browns might get.

Makes NO sense for the Browns to take a QB at one and every so called pundit should know that.

Barkley will be a Brown 1000% Lock!!

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Guys/Girls

Look this is a guaranteed no brainer that I'm shocked no one is seeing here. Regardless of what Mayock, Kiper, McShay all say, the Browns will NOT take a QB at 1, it will be Barkley and here's why.

There are 3 Qb's that are the "top" prospects this year. Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. Mayfield is the 4th. Anyway, IMO going on a few things I have read so far and that I agree with, the Browns view these three guys virtually the same. All have different skill sets however none really separate themselves from one another as clear cut favorites so....

That means Giants would trade out 2nd overall pick or take a QB. Lets say Giants trade with Jets. Jets take Rosen. Or if Giants take Rosen, That leaves Darnold and Allen. 

Colts trade pick 3 or take Chubb. Lets say Colts trade with Bills. Bills take Darnold. That leaves Allen or lets say Colts stay put and take Chubb that leaves Allen and Darnold.

Browns on clock at 4, either pick from 2 still available or take whoever is left.

Browns get RB and QB. End of story. Based on where the Browns sit in the draft there is no way the Browns don't come away with both positional players of need and Dorsey knows this.

My point is there is NO WAY this scenario doesn't play out this way except the name of the QB the Browns might get.

Makes NO sense for the Browns to take a QB at one and every so called pundit should know that.

There is nothing in the draft that is locked. End of story.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i disagree, they should take the QB they like best and not wait around until the 4th pick

that could leave them with their third choice, when they could have their first

Well first off it won't be Rosen as he said isn't playing in Cleve. So that leaves 2 and if you think they should take Darnold or Allen over Barkley at 1, dude come on.. won't happen

There is no such thing as a definite lock come draft day. I mean, heck, some draft pundits back in 2012 had RG3 going first overall. Back to the post though, the Browns will not take Barkley first overall. Regardless of how well the running backs selected high in the last few drafts, there is still a mantra that you do not take a RB at 1. It's a passing-driven league, so to do such a thing would be a total waste without the number 1 QB prospect. And no, Allen isn't in the tier of Darnold and Rosen, because he has so much work to do. Rosen has already explicitly stated that he will not play for the Browns, so the only option left for them would be Darnold. If Indy trades down to a QB needy team, and the Browns take Barkley #1, there is a very high chance they won't get the only top tier QB that will fit with them. If the Browns take Barkley, it will confirm that the front office in Cleveland is absolutely out of their minds!

This is NOT how one drafts a QB. "Oh, well... we are going to take whoever is left". Teams target specific QBs and rarely love 3-4 prospects at the same level... and even if that's the case they still have preferences. The only way to guarantee they will get the one they prefer is to draft him no. 1... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Guys/Girls

You need to remember the browns new GM. The same person that groomed CB in Kansas City and like CB this guy is a Defensive minded type. So i wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey got either Fitzpatrick or Chubb as number 1 then QB at number 4

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Guys/Girls

Until the Browns themselves come out and say they are taking a player, NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY can say it is a lock.  Period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the OP is correct about Barkley.

Then I hope the Browns become enamoured with a particular QB after the NYGs take their guy, get spooked about the Colts trading out of the 3 spot, thus trading with the Colts to move back up one spot, giving the Colts the Browns’s first 2nd round pick, in addition to the 4th overall.

THEN I hope the NYJs become enamoured with a particular QB, but are direly fearful they’ll lose that guy to the Broncos.  Thus, NYJ swap the 6 spot to move up to the number four spot, giving the Colts both of NYJ’s 2nd rounders to do so.

Then at number six, the Colts solidify their OL by taking Quenton Nelson, who lives up to the hype, going on to have a HOF career at OG.  To boot, the Colts would then have FOUR 2nd round picks to really bolster their roster.  Ergo, Colts turn the # 3 overall pick into the # 6, 33, 37, & 49 picks.  As well, they have their own 2nd rounder which is 36th overall.

Dreaming!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Then I hope the Browns become enamoured with a particular QB after the NYGs take their guy, get spooked about the Colts trading out of the 3 spot, thus trading with the Colts to move back up one spot, giving the Colts the Browns’s first 2nd round pick, in addition to the 4th overall.

THEN I hope the NYJs become enamoured with a particular QB, but are direly fearful they’ll lose that guy to the Broncos.  Thus, NYJ swap the 6 spot to move up to the number four spot, giving the Colts both of NYJ’s 2nd rounders to do so.

Then at number six, the Colts solidify their OL by taking Quenton Nelson, who lives up to the hype, going on to have a HOF career at OG.  To boot, the Colts would then have FOUR 2nd round picks to really bolster their roster.  Ergo, Colts turn the # 3 overall pick into the # 6, 33, 37, & 49 picks.  As well, they have their own 2nd rounder which is 36th overall.

Dreaming!

You ever get mad when you wake up from a dream because it was so good?

I had this crazy dream last night that Ballard somehow turned the #3 pick into 3 top-10 picks.  I don't know how he did it, but the Colts ended up with like #s 7, 8, and 10.  I woke up before I got to see who the Colts drafted, though...

:Cry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i disagree, they should take the QB they like best and not wait around until the 4th pick

that could leave them with their third choice, when they could have their first

You forget that the Browns have the capitol to trade up anywhere. They could go up from #4 to #2 if they really wanted to. They’ll get their QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

Well first off it won't be Rosen as he said isn't playing in Cleve. So that leaves 2 and if you think they should take Darnold or Allen over Barkley at 1, dude come on.. won't happen

Per Rotoworld:

UCLA QB Josh Rosen told NFL Network's Michael Silver he "never said anything about not wanting to play in Cleveland."

What he did say was, "I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team," a comment perceived to be a shot at the Browns. Rosen says that is not the case, however, and adds the idea he does not want to play in Cleveland has "absolutely no foundation in reality." The Browns should get a chance to ask Rosen about the comments this week at the Combine.

• Like 1

The idea of Barkley going first is......           possible.       But it's not likely.

Politically speaking,  the Browns are almost compelled to take a QB first overall.     They can't take Barkley and simply say we'll be happy with whoever is left when we pick 4th.     Because if they blow their latest QB draft pick then their credibility is blown.     They've bought new credibility with Dorsey.    But because of the last 20 years,   the Browns can't blow this draft.    If they love Barkley as much,  then they take a QB first,  and trade up with the NY Giants to take Barkley.      That's how it would be done.

The idea that they're leaking out that they like three QB's roughly the same,  is laughable.    That's a smoke screen.   Those are common draft season.    Every team eventually falls in love with one QB --- not three QB's.    The focus on a guy,  and he becomes the choice.

And the OP didn't even allow for the possibility of Chubb going 2nd to the Giants if Cleveland did take Barkley first.

The number of ways in which this is a truly terrible post can't be counted.    I'm sorry,  I don't mean to be hard on the OP,   but it's dreadful.      Right up there with BBZ's view that OLineman don't want to play for Luck because he makes them look bad and makes their job harder.

These two posts are the early front-runners for Worst Post of the Year!           :facepalm:

• Thanks 1

The value is not there for running backs though??? Dorsey is a well respected G.M why would he be that dumb? You can find a running back in later rounds and get similar results right???They have shorter careers than a Guard like Nelson would, or Chubb so no way they wouldn't know the Analytics and understand based on positional value its just not worth it....haha

2 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

To be fair @crazycolt1 has suggested Barkley could go 1st overall in numerous threads.  I don't think it is a lock but wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Yes I have said Barkley will go #1.  But I have also been watching drafts for over 40 years. The only thing I have learned in all these years is nothing is a lock. I can't recall the draft ever going down as expected.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

The value is not there for running backs though??? Dorsey is a well respected G.M why would he be that dumb? You can find a running back in later rounds and get similar results right???They have shorter careers than a Guard like Nelson would, or Chubb so no way they wouldn't know the Analytics and understand based on positional value its just not worth it....haha

They can get a UDFA RB. Why waste a draft pick when a couple udfa's will give similar production? haha

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes I have said Barkley will go #1.  But I have also been watching drafts for over 40 years. The only thing I have learned in all these years is nothing is a lock. I can't recall the draft ever going down as expected.

Pretty much. Last year, everyone's mock was ruined after the Bears traded up. You can't reasonably predict what the draft is like or how it will fall.

1 minute ago, IndyScribe said:

Pretty much. Last year, everyone's mock was ruined after the Bears traded up. You can't reasonably predict what the draft is like or how it will fall.

The year that comes to mind for me is when Rogers sit and wasn't taken till #24 after Smith went #1.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The idea of Barkley going first is......           possible.       But it's not likely.

Politically speaking,  the Browns are almost compelled to take a QB first overall.     They can't take Barkley and simply say we'll be happy with whoever is left when we pick 4th.     Because if they blow their latest QB draft pick then their credibility is blown.     They've bought new credibility with Dorsey.    But because of the last 20 years,   the Browns can't blow this draft.    If they love Barkley as much,  then they take a QB first,  and trade up with the NY Giants to take Barkley.      That's how it would be done.

The idea that they're leaking out that they like three QB's roughly the same,  is laughable.    That's a smoke screen.   Those are common draft season.    Every team eventually falls in love with one QB --- not three QB's.    The focus on a guy,  and he becomes the choice.

And the OP didn't even allow for the possibility of Chubb going 2nd to the Giants if Cleveland did take Barkley first.

The number of ways in which this is a truly terrible post can't be counted.    I'm sorry,  I don't mean to be hard on the OP,   but it's dreadful.      Right up there with BBZ's view that OLineman don't want to play for Luck because he makes them look bad and makes their job harder.

These two posts are the early front-runners for Worst Post of the Year!           :facepalm:

You Never been in Love with more than 1 girl at the same time?

You need to come down to South Beach. haha

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Dreaming!

You had me going to until the drafting Nelson part. WIth three second round picks, I see no reason to draft an OG that early with the interior OL depth available on day two. Now if you had said Fitzpatrick at pick 6 (which of course will be come his nickname)...then we are talking.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You forget that the Browns have the capitol to trade up anywhere. They could go up from #4 to #2 if they really wanted to. They’ll get their QB.

Oh please oh please let CLE trade up to switch spots with the NYG. No better scenario for the Colts than that (which would have been the scenario had they just lost week 17 like they were supposed to).

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

You had me going to until the drafting Nelson part. WIth three second round picks, I see no reason to draft an OG that early with the interior OL depth available on day two. Now if you had said Fitzpatrick at pick 6 (which of course will be come his nickname)...then we are talking.

Well, this is where we disagree.  I am just tired of the OL not being properly addressed.  They are talking about Nelson in the same breath as HOFer John Hannah.  Fix the darn offensive line!

• Like 1

You know, the idea that the Browns could pick Barkley #1 isn’t insane. What if they did that and made a deal with the Colts in advance to trade the 4th and 33rd picks for the Colts’ pick at 3? They get their choice of one of the top 2 QBs. Or even make the same deal with the Giants which gives them the first two picks and total control over the QB situation. Not a bad outcome and they still have a decent number of high picks left. 

13 hours ago, stitches said:

This is NOT how one drafts a QB. "Oh, well... we are going to take whoever is left". Teams target specific QBs and rarely love 3-4 prospects at the same level... and even if that's the case they still have preferences. The only way to guarantee they will get the one they prefer is to draft him no. 1... 

I don't think they will draft a qb. they got one last year in the 2nd round maybe they think that he can develop.

if I was them I would go with Barkley with the first and Nelson with the 4th