Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spending a top-20 pick on a RB is one of the worst decisions a team can make

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Finball said:

Alfred Morris had better YPC than Zeke last year.

Cowboys went 3-3 when Zeke was out (and averaged 30+ against in those losses). In ATL and PHI losses, they were without Tyron Smith. He comes back, they go 3-1 in the rest of the games without Zeke.

They also went 1-4 when Sean Lee didn't play.

13-3 with Zeke the year before

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You asked about the last TEN years and you're complaining about Brown who was drafted NINE years ago!?!

I included Addai because it impacted decisions made within your 10 year window.

What the hell is the matter with you?!?

Lol..I ran out of lithium..

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's funny how people say RB's don't change a franchise but yet we get Eric Dickerson and go 9-6 and win the mighty AFC East by beating Dan Marino, and the Pats who were Great back then too. Colts were 0-13 in 1986 before going 3-13, then with Dick we go 9-6 with freakin Jack Truduea at QB in 1987.

Thanks for the flashbacks from the 80s and early 90s....

Be sure to let us know when you wake up and realize it's the 21st century.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not the key at all, if you don't believe that. I believe Barkley has Hall of Fame potential, I don't with Chubb. If we take Chubb I hope he makes me eat my words.

Out of likes man good post..Hey at least we got the Pacers right?

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

If a RB is irrelevant then why do teams put 8 men in the box to stop the run

Why do play action passes work? 

Nice Straw-man!    Irrelevant is not a word people here use.   Discounted is an acceptable word.    Less important are two words to describe things.

It's been demonstrated repeatedly that teams can win without using a first round draft pick on a RB.  Most successful backs were not drafted in the first round.

A quality RB is still very important to an offense.   You just don't have to use a first round pick to have a quality running attack.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the flashbacks from the 80s and early 90s....

Be sure to let us know when you wake up and realize it's the 21st century.

Ouch! That's a little harsh my friend. The Seahawks crushed the Broncos in 2013 & I do recall a RB on that roster named Marshawn Lynch being on that 21st Century roster. He was also 1 carry away from back to back SB rings too as I recall. 

Just because the NFL is ariel prone now it doesn't mean that RBs are not important especially outside in snowy or rainy weather. 

Just now, Finball said:

Sean Lee and Tyron Smith were also in better health.

Good grief...Sean Lee was pretty healthy this year he did miss 5 games but did nothing spectacular when healthy.. They have the beast pass rusher in Lawrence, and the BEST line in football....For some reason Jerry Jones damn near lost his ownership of team fighting for Zeke , and trying to get Goodell canned for some reason...

Just now, southwest1 said:

Ouch! That's a little harsh my friend. The Seahawks crushed the Broncos in 2013 & I do recall a RB on that roster named Marshawn Lynch being on that 21st Century roster. He was also 1 carry away from back to back SB rings too as I recall. 

Just because the NFL is ariel prone now it doesn't mean that RBs are not important especially outside in snowy or rainy weather. 

But they can be found everywhere   It took Marshawn 2 teams and nultiple years to be beast mode

I can’t speak for NCF but my issue is that we have far move pressing needs than a top 5 RB

Just now, southwest1 said:

Yeah without Lynch the Seahawks were junk on Offense. Anyone want to debate that I doubt it lmao Thanks SW1. Wilson is Good but without Lynch he has 0 Rings.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They didn't win though and that is all that matters. Having Zeke in there makes a QB better is my point.

3-3 without Zeke, 6-4 with him.

1-4 without Sean Lee, 8-3 with him.

1-2 without Tyron Smith, 8-5 with him.

Zeke, Tyron Smith and Sean Lee go down, Cowboys start to lose. They get Sean Lee and Tyron Smith back but not Zeke, they start to win again.

19 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I've never made the argument that RBs are not important.    Never.   Not once.

I've simply stated that you don't have to draft a RB in the first round to have a successful running game.   That's a fact that I don't think is in dispute.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Move never made the argumentbtat RBs are not important.    Never.   Not once.

I've simply stated that you don't have to draft a RB in the first round to have a successful running game.   That's a fact that I don't think is in dispute.

That I agree with, I thought Hunt was the best RB in last seasons Draft , as you know I posted that here too and he went in the later rounds.

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Good grief...Sean Lee was pretty healthy this year he did miss 5 games but did nothing spectacular when healthy.. They have the beast pass rusher in Lawrence, and the BEST line in football....For some reason Jerry Jones damn near lost his ownership of team fighting for Zeke , and trying to get Goodell canned for some reason...

Hmmm wonder what Cleveland is thinking here? Wink Wink Wink

browns-35.png  Browns | New starting RB expected in Cleveland    Thu Feb 22, 03:08 PM

Cleveland Browns impending free-agent RB Isaiah Crowell is not expected to be retained. ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi believes the Browns' starting running back in 2018 will be a high draft pick.

Footballguys view: This could spell Saquon Barkley, especially with two picks in the first four. It's too early to read the tea leaves, and they could hit the free agent market as well.

Link to story
Isaiah Crowell player page

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

browns-35.png  Browns | New starting RB expected in Cleveland    Thu Feb 22, 03:08 PM

Cleveland Browns impending free-agent RB Isaiah Crowell is not expected to be retained. ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi believes the Browns' starting running back in 2018 will be a high draft pick.

Footballguys view: This could spell Saquon Barkley, especially with two picks in the first four. It's too early to read the tea leaves, and they could hit the free agent market as well.

Link to story

The next TR

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice Straw-man!    Irrelevant is not a word people here use.   Discounted is an acceptable word.    Less important are two words to describe things.

It's been demonstrated repeatedly that teams can win without using a first round draft pick on a RB.  Most successful backs were not drafted in the first round.

A quality RB is still very important to an offense.   You just don't have to use a first round pick to have a quality running attack.

Ok I'll play along..Quarterbacks like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, "a shell of himself" Peyton Manning, Doug Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Jim McMahon have won SUPER BOWLS and there are more..So by your argument you can win without an elite RB, should then also apply to quarterbacks right? Nevermind Emmit Smith, Roger Craig, Marshawn Lynch, Marshall Faulk, Corey Dillon, Ray Rice because they had no impact on their respective teams success I guess..Everyone should just emulate 85' Bears and build a all time great defense because that way worked once..Who was the BEST most important player on that Bears team I wonder? Would they have won without him?

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Ok I'll play along..Quarterbacks like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, "a shell of himself" Peyton Manning, Doug Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Jim McMahon have won SUPER BOWLS and there are more..So by your argument you can without an elite RB, should then also apply to quarterbacks right? Nevermind Emmit Smith, Roger Craig, Marshawn Lynch, Marshall Faulk, Corey Dillon, Ray Rice because they had no impact on their respective teams success I guess..Everyone should just emulate 85' Bears and build a all time great defense because that way worked once..Who was the BEST most important player on that Bears team I wonder? Would they have won without him?

It worked in Tampa 

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Link to story

Well they finally got a G.M who is supposedly highly respected, and for some reason he would take Barkley? He must be dumb or something right? They have needs at more important positions with higher long term value so why would they consider Barkley?

Move never made the argumentbtat RBs are not important.    Never.   Not once.

I'd be inclined to believe you, except for this line:

"Be sure to let us know when you wake up and realize it's the 21st century."

Now, you did state that this isn't the 80's or 90's anymore meaning that the game has changed from primarily an infantry based offense to an ariel attack one, which is true. Maybe you were just joking with CBE. But it came across as dismissing CBE's argument that RBs are still important in the NFL, which is why I responded the way I did. 

You're a good dude NCF so, I'll chalk it up to friendly banter among friends & let it go. 

It depends what your view of a successful running game is...Over a 1,000 yrd season, goal line dependability/scoring, blitz pickup, check down reliability, running between the tackles for 3rd down conversions. 

Look, I get the premium value in LT, cornerbacks, safety, & collapsing pockets from the inside running right up the middle forcing a QB to move off his spot....But, don't dismiss RBs simply because they normally have a 4 yr career on average & can plug & play right out of college.

When you absolutely must get that yard to win the game that determines a Wildcard spot, the running back or the quality of your man there matters. Don't kid yourself. Sometimes, a high draft pick surprises you giving you tremendous vision, speed, agility, change of direction, & toughness that makes all the difference in the world. 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've never made the argument that RBs are not important.    Never.   Not once.

You don't have to take a DE in first round to have a successful defense, or a Tackle to have a successful offense..Those are facts also not in dispute..

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Ok I'll play along..Quarterbacks like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, "a shell of himself" Peyton Manning, Doug Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Jim McMahon have won SUPER BOWLS and there are more..So by your argument you can win without an elite RB, should then also apply to quarterbacks right? Nevermind Emmit Smith, Roger Craig, Marshawn Lynch, Marshall Faulk, Corey Dillon, Ray Rice because they had no impact on their respective teams success I guess..Everyone should just emulate 85' Bears and build a all time great defense because that way worked once..Who was the BEST most important player on that Bears team I wonder? Would they have won without him?

Once again...   you're using examples from pre2000...    JIM McMahon?   Roget Craig?   Emmett Smith?

Ir with teams with an all time great defense line Trent Dilfers Ravens or the recent Carolina D with Vom Miller. 

You can win a SB without a great QB but you have to have a unique set of circumstances...   but broadly speaking it's not something you can do by building your team that way. 

If given a choice every NFL team would take a great QB, Brady or Manning to start their franchise with rather than a great RB like OJ or Bo or Barry or Emmitt.

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown   

We must remember that others have different opinions and instead trying their impose ours we must stop, listen, and Think

Therefore PT and TigerTown is going find their happy place and enjoy some great Princeton Tiger Basketball

P.S. 

Everything Will Be Okay 

Once again...   you're using examples from pre2000...    JIM McMahon?   Roget Craig?   Emmett Smith?

Ir with teams with an all time great defense line Trent Dilfers Ravens or the recent Carolina D with Vom Miller. 

You can win a SB without a great QB but you have to have a unique set of circumstances...   but broadly speaking it's not something you can do by building your team that way. 

If given a choice every NFL team would take a great QB, Brady or Manning to start their franchise with rather than a great RB like OJ or Bo or Barry or Emmitt.

Why?? You can find a Tom Brady in 6th round or Nick Foles in 3rd round..Why waste a 1st round pick on a QB who could be Joey Harrington or Ryan Leaf? Pick the sure thing Guard like Womack or Jonathan Cooper that's the smart safe way to go...