Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is Bradley Chubb?

I have been on the fence with this guy for months now, and have clearly stated I would prefer Quenton Nelson after a trade down over drafting Chubb. I say that, because I'm not convinced what Chubb will become. Is he Chris Long, or is he Joey Bosa? If he is the latter, then sign me up. Long has been passed around the league, and while he gives great effort, he doesn't have the elite speed or athleticism to consistently dominant OTs. If Ballard truly believes Chubb can be a double digit sack player every year, as well as a great run stopper, then I will trust Chris in bringing Chubb on board. 

Your thoughts?

The question is what players do they see fit to draft at #3.  Everyone just says Chubb or maybe trade back.  What if there is no trade partner?  It is not just that easy.  If Chubb is not the guy then they will someone on their board.  Could be Nelson or Fitz if they do not see Chubb as a suitable fit or pick.  I personally can easily see Chubb in the Horseshoe and being called with the 3rd pick.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I have been on the fence with this guy for months now, and have clearly stated I would prefer Quenton Nelson after a trade down over drafting Chubb. I say that, because I'm not convinced what Chubb will become. Is he Chris Long, or is he Joey Bosa? If he is the latter, then sign me up. Long has been passed around the league, and while he gives great effort, he doesn't have the elite speed or athleticism to consistently dominant OTs. If Ballard truly believes Chubb can be a double digit sack player every year, as well as a great run stopper, then I will trust Chris in bringing Chubb on board. 

Your thoughts?

I really hope he is better than Bosa even, if we pick him at #3. Bosa is better than I thought he would be after coming into the league and had a Good season but I want to see Elite play. Bosa had 10 Sacks his rookie season and had 12.5 Sacks last season. I expect Chubb to get 10 Sacks or so in his rookie season if he has the potential to be Great which would be the same as what Bosa had. That isn't an unreasonable expectation for someone going 3rd. 13-15 in his 2nd season which would be slightly better than Bosa's 2nd season. We need to nail that #3 pick because we may never pick that high again and screwing that pick up would be awful.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really hope he is better than Bosa even if we pick him at #3. Bosa is better than I thought he would be after coming into the league and had a Good season but I want to see Elite play. Bosa had 10 Sacks his rookie season and had 12.5 Sacks last season. I expect Chubb to get 10 Sacks or so in his rookie season if he has the potential to be Great which would be the same as what Bosa had. That isn't an unreasonable expectation for someone going 3rd. 13-15 in his 2nd season which would be slightly better than Bosa's 2nd season. We need to nail that #3 pick because we may never pick that high again and screwing that pick up would be awful.

Wow. Those are some lofty expectations. I expect that you'll be disappointed this season. 

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Wow. Those are some lofty expectations. I expect that you'll be disappointed this season. 

So are you saying Bosa is better than Chubb? If so why would we Draft him at 3. If Bosa can record 10 Sacks in his Rookie season why cant Chubb then? I think 10 Sacks is a nice and fair goal for someone that has Chubb's potential.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So are you saying Bosa is better than Chubb? If so why would we Draft him at 3. If Bosa can record 10 Sacks in his Rookie season why cant Chubb then? I think 10 Sacks is a nice and fair goal for someone that has Chubb's potential.

I think your expectations are way too high. For any pass rusher to get 10+ sacks is quite good. Asking Chubb to come in and basically be Von Miller is unfair. Not to mention the fact that sacks aren't the definitive measure of how elite a pass rusher is. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

I think your expectations are way too high. For any pass rusher to get 10+ sacks is quite good. Asking Chubb to come in and basically be Von Miller is unfair. Not to mention the fact that sacks aren't the definitive measure of how elite a pass rusher is. 

I am asking him to be Joey Bosa but a tad better so we nail this pick, Bosa had 10 Sacks his Rookie season. I didn't say anything about Von Miller.

You are going to pony up after the rookie contract for any guy you take at #3. 

Pass rusher, RB, OL is our most likely pick here - Chubb, Barkley, Nelson

1. Which one matures best with time that will make paying your own worthwhile after 4 years if we extend that contract? I'd have to say OL and pass rusher with the RB being a high attrition position but also providing best bang for the buck on a rookie contract.

2. Which one is most likelier to have more immediate impact? RB, more than anything else. However, Nelson is a different kind of OL prospect, he is more ready, that is what I keep hearing.

3. Which one can be negated most easily? Pass rusher first with quick releases and chipping, and then RB that can be game planned out of a game by the best coaches, no one truly game plans for a single OL guy because the OL is a sum of all parts.

4. Which one can single handedly take over a game? Pass rusher and then an RB, if they are rated the same.

5. Which one, next to the QB can be considered more of a cornerstone position? OL, more than anything else

Chubb shines like a shiny nickel among a bunch of dull nickels due to our dearth of pass rush talent. He is not a Von Miller by any means but I think he is better than Derek Barnett that we fell in love in last year's draft. How much better than the next pass rusher is he? Is it because it is a weak pass rushing class?

Do you invest in a guy at #3 for the ceiling or floor? If it is floor, Nelson offers the biggest floor followed by Barkley, IMO, and Nelson might be the safest pick. If it is ceiling, I have no way of prognosticating the ceiling of a Barkley or Chubb without questions answered about how they will be coached up, or utilized. Nelson will be a safe pick but Chubb could be the ceiling pick. That is why they pay Ballard the big bucks to make that decision.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because this isn't the 2016 draft. Every draft is different.

Like you, I didn't think Bosa would be as good as he's been. I don't think most people projected him to be a double digit sack guy in each of his first two seasons. Now that we saw Bosa have a great start to his career, you're holding him to a higher standard than you even projected for Bosa.

Also, because most rookie pass rushers don't put up 10 sacks their first season, even guys taken at the top of the draft. Khalil Mack, 4 sacks. JJ Watt, 5.5 sacks. Etc. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Like you, I didn't think Bosa would be as good as he's been. I don't think most people projected him to be a double digit sack guy in each of his first two seasons. Now that we saw Bosa have a great start to his career, you're holding him to a higher standard than you even projected for Bosa.

Also, because most rookie pass rushers don't put up 10 sacks their first season, even guys taken at the top of the draft. Khalil Mack, 4 sacks. JJ Watt, 5.5 sacks. Etc. 

If Chubb only gets lets say 5 or 6 Sacks I wont necessarily say he had a Bad season, I get that 10 Sacks for a Rookie can be considered a lot. A lot of people on this forum though compare Chubb to Bosa, whether that is a good comparison or not, not sure. I was just looking at Bosa's Stats and thinking why wouldn't Chubb set a goal of 10 Sacks. It would be a solid season for a Rookie but not an unreasonable amount. If Chubb only has 5 or 6 Sacks, I would then definitely hope in season 2 he would be above 10 at worse being the #3 pick.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really hope he is better than Bosa even, if we pick him at #3. Bosa is better than I thought he would be after coming into the league and had a Good season but I want to see Elite play. Bosa had 10 Sacks his rookie season and had 12.5 Sacks last season. I expect Chubb to get 10 Sacks or so in his rookie season if he has the potential to be Great which would be the same as what Bosa had. That isn't an unreasonable expectation for someone going 3rd. 13-15 in his 2nd season which would be slightly better than Bosa's 2nd season. We need to nail that #3 pick because we may never pick that high again and screwing that pick up would be awful.

If these are your standards then you're going to be disappointed.   Perhaps hugely so.

Bosa has recorded more sacks in his first two years than any other DE in history and you're expecting....  MORE?!?   Never going to happen.

Myles Garrett's first year he only had 7 sacks.   And nobody thinks Chubb is as good as Garrett.

Guys like Von Miller are exceptions to the rule.   Unicorns.    Bosa has totally exceeded everyone's wildest expectation.

Chubb appears to be very good.   Whether he'll ever be great is anyone's guess, but I would say the odds are against him.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Chubb only gets lets say 5 or 6 Sacks I wont necessarily say he had a Bad season, I get that 10 Sacks for a Rookie can be considered a lot. A lot of people on this forum though compare Chubb to Bosa, whether that is a good comparison or not, not sure. I was just looking at Bosa's Stats and thinking why wouldn't Chubb set a goal of 10 Sacks. It would be a solid season for a Rookie but not an unreasonable amount. If Chubb only has 5 or 6 Sacks, I would then definitely hope in season 2 he would be above 10 at worse being the #3 pick.

I feel like your point is 'if he can't get 10 sacks as a rookie, he's not worthy of the #3 pick,' and that's not a reasonable expectation. Ten sacks for a rookie pass rusher is outstanding, it's not something that happens very often, and it's not something that should be expected just because a guy is drafted near the top of the draft.

As for the comparison to Bosa, the idea isn't that whatever Chubb did, Bosa can do, and maybe better. The idea is that they have some similar traits.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If these are your standards then you're going to be disappointed.   Perhaps hugely so.

Bosa has recorded more sacks in his first two years than any other DE in history and you're expecting....  MORE?!?   Never going to happen.

Myles Garrett's first year he only had 7 sacks.   And nobody thinks Chubb is as good as Garrett.

Guys like Von Miller are exceptions to the rule.   Unicorns.    Bosa has totally exceeded everyone's wildest expectation.

Chubb appears to be very good.   Whether he'll ever be great is anyone's guess, but I would say the odds are against him.

Lets say in season 2 Chubb only has 5 or 6 sacks would you then be disappointed in the pick? Just asking because I am pretty sure you and everyone in here would expect 10 Sacks or so in season 2 anyway. As you know because he would be being picked 3rd his expectations should be high and his Greatness will be measured on how many Sacks he gets in his career being a Pass Rusher.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say in season 2 Chubb only has 5 or 6 sacks would you then be disappointed in the pick? Just asking because I am pretty sure you and everyone in here would expect 10 Sacks or so in season 2 anyway. As you know because he would be being picked 3rd his expectations should be high and his Greatness will be measured on how many Sacks he gets in his career being a Pass Rusher.

Yes....   Season 2 and only 6 sacks and I'll be disappointed.    I'd expect 8-10 by season 2.

I'd say season 1, I'd be happy with 6-8 sacks. 

I'm very, VERY curious how he will test.     I saw the rumor that said he's timing out at 4.7's in the 40....    There's a big difference between 4.71 and 4.79...    so I'll be watching....    closely!     There are other agility tests to keep an eye on...  Bosa was poor in the 40 but did well on the shuttle and cone tests...    that was a sign of his potential.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel like your point is 'if he can't get 10 sacks as a rookie, he's not worthy of the #3 pick,' and that's not a reasonable expectation. Ten sacks for a rookie pass rusher is outstanding, it's not something that happens very often, and it's not something that should be expected just because a guy is drafted near the top of the draft.

As for the comparison to Bosa, the idea isn't that whatever Chubb did, Bosa can do, and maybe better. The idea is that they have some similar traits.

To your first sentence I am not really thinking that but I do question if he will ever be an Elite Pass Rusher in the league. So if we pick him I just want to see Great production is my main point because if he doesn't that would mean, maybe we made the wrong pick. I just would hate for us not to make the right pick, picking 3rd overall.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....   Season 2 and only 6 sacks and I'll be disappointed.    I'd expect 8-10 by season 2.

I'd say season 1, I'd be happy with 6-8 sacks. 

I'm very, VERY curious how he will test.     I saw the rumor that said he's timing out at 4.7's in the 40....    There's a big difference between 4.71 and 4.79...    so I'll be watching....    closely!     There are other agility tests to keep an eye on...  Bosa was poor in the 40 but did well on the shuttle and cone tests...    that was a sign of his potential.

Your expectations are more realistic I admit Sacks wise and as I posted above to Superman if Chubb only had 5 or 6 Sacks I wouldn't consider it a Bad season.

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

1. Which one matures best with time that will make paying your own worthwhile after 4 years if we extend that contract? I'd have to say OL and pass rusher with the RB being a high attrition position but also providing best bang for the buck on a rookie contract.

2. Which one is most likelier to have more immediate impact? RB, more than anything else. However, Nelson is a different kind of OL prospect, he is more ready, that is what I keep hearing.

3. Which one can be negated most easily? Pass rusher first with quick releases and chipping, and then RB that can be game planned out of a game by the best coaches, no one truly game plans for a single OL guy because the OL is a sum of all parts.

4. Which one can single handedly take over a game? Pass rusher and then an RB, if they are rated the same.

5. Which one, next to the QB can be considered more of a cornerstone position? OL, more than anything else

Chubb shines like a shiny nickel among a bunch of dull nickels due to our dearth of pass rush talent. He is not a Von Miller by any means but I think he is better than Derek Barnett that we fell in love in last year's draft. How much better than the next pass rusher is he? Is it because it is a weak pass rushing class?

Do you invest in a guy at #3 for the ceiling or floor? If it is floor, Nelson offers the biggest floor followed by Barkley, IMO, and Nelson might be the safest pick. If it is ceiling, I have no way of prognosticating the ceiling of a Barkley or Chubb without questions answered about how they will be coached up, or utilized. Nelson will be a safe pick but Chubb could be the ceiling pick. That is why they pay Ballard the big bucks to make that decision.

Thanks, Chad!    This is a fantastic post!

Truly wonderful!   It should be the most "liked" post of the day.   And if not, something is seriously wrong.

This is a post worthy of Superman at his best!    My highest praise!

It's a pleasure to read!    

Bravo!!              :colts:

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yep...and few have Melvin Ingram opposite them so they face few double teams. We have nobody...if Chubb has success he will get all the attention.

Everyone is so concentrated on sacks and that is what Chubb should be judged on. A pass rusher means exactly that. Sacks are not the only stat that a pass rusher brings. Pressure and flushing opposing QBs out of the pocket thus making the QB make mistakes are all part of the package. Add in a few passes either intercepted or batted down and that is what a pass rusher brings. If a DE or pass rusher can bring those things then sacks are just part of it.

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Can't say I agree with number 5. Pass rusher is much more of a cornerstone position than guard. QB, pass rusher, and LT are probably the most coveted positions in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everyone is so concentrated on sacks and that is what Chubb should be judged on. A pass rusher means exactly that. Sacks are not the only stat that a pass rusher brings. Pressure and flushing opposing QBs out of the pocket thus making the QB make mistakes are all part of the package. Add in a few passes either intercepted or batted down and that is what a pass rusher brings. If a DE or pass rusher can bring those things then sacks are just part of it.

Of course I think most people understand that. At least I do, having said that Sacks is the most important Stat measured by a Pass Rusher. Just like Yards is for a RB. I am sure if Barkley doesn't get a 1000 Yards almost everyone in here will be calling him a bust because the expectation says he should get a 1000. There is TD's and Receiving Yards too but I think you get my point.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course I think most people understand that. At least I do, having said that Sacks is the most important Stat measured by a Pass Rusher. Just like Yards is for a RB. I am sure if Barkley doesn't get a 1000 Yards almost everyone in here will be calling him a bust because the expectation says he should get a 1000. There is TD's and Receiving Yards too but I think you get my point.

Well that is what everyone seems to be talking about. Almost every post in here is talking about sacks. I seen no other post even mentioning it. Thus is why I brought it up. Just as you said, I think you get my point.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Well that is what everyone seems to be talking about. Almost every post in here is talking about sacks. I seen no other post even mentioning it. Thus is why I brought it up. Just as you said, I think you get my point.

Oh I understand what you are saying. If Chubb only gets 6 Sacks but also has a key hurry in half his games that creates a key Turnover or a 4th down to win a game than that is Good.

Also being a Colts fan, most Colts fans hold a lot of players of this generation being drafted to high expectations (like I do) because of what we accomplished from 2000-2009. Not saying that is fair but that is the way it is with any franchise that has had Great success for an entire decade. We have had guys like Freeney who had 13 Sacks his Rookie Season and had 125.5 Sacks in his career. Mathis too who had 123 Sacks as a Colt. So we have seen greatness so anything else is like MEH if players don't come close to matching that on Defense. Same for Luck, everyone in here held him to Peyton standards when he got Drafted. Like I said it may not be fair but if you get drafted high and have hype behind you, you better back it up playing for this franchise. We haven't had a Great RB since Edge so everytime we Draft a RB or get a new one, people always bring up, can he be like Edge, etc.. Its human nature.

Chubb's ceiling is Cameron Jordan/Ryan Kerrigan, he can very easily become one of these type guys I say chances 75%..Chubb's floor is Erik Walden, which I say is 25%..So all in all if we choose to go this route I'm not going to be too sad about it, he is a safe pick at 3 who I think will be a very good player who can have an ELITE season from time to time..

4 hours ago, Trueman said:

I think we should only use the 3rd pick if Ballard and co. think Chubb can be elite. If they don't? Trade back. 

I don't think we should select 3rd for any other player.

That is preferrable, but gotta have someone willing to dance...Not sure trade offers will be as good or prevalent as many on here hope..

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You realize Garrett missed several games, and faced double teams on a regular basis all while coming back from injury right??

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You realize Garrett missed several games, and faced double teams on a regular basis all while coming back from injury right??

One thing I failed to mention about Bosa too was he had 10.5 Sacks in only 12 games, not 16. He missed 4 games and still had 10.5 his rookie season. That is one guy I was really wrong about coming out.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing I failed to mentioned about Bosa too was he had 10.5 Sacks in only 12 games, not 16. He missed 4 games and still had 10.5 his rookie season. That is one guy I was really wrong about coming out.

Yeah..Bosa is serious business, Jarrod Allen incarnate..No denying that..If Ballard sees Chubb being close to that good you run to the podium even over Barkley as hard is that is for me..I don't think he will be that, but I think he is gonna be very good and fix a major need most likely..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

That is preferrable, but gotta have someone willing to dance...Not sure trade offers will be as good or prevalent as many on here hope..

I can't speak to how good people feel the offers will be , but the offers will be prevelant. 

There's too many promising QB prospects , and we have the third pick. If history is any indication, Ballard will have plenty of opportunity to move back if he chooses to. 

2 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I can't speak to how good people feel the offers will be , but the offers will be prevelant. 

There's too many promising QB prospects , and we have the third pick. If history is any indication, Ballard will have plenty of opportunity to move back if he chooses to. 

This year is different though, lots of stop gap QBs on the market..

7 minutes ago, Trueman said:

The best qb in this draft is honestly Lamar Jackson, if im the Colts and Luck's health is still in question I think about it in 2nd..Combo of Vick, Randall Cunningham,  and sober Johnny Manziel..Just saying

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

This year is different though, lots of stop gap QBs on the market..

It's the same every year : haves and have nots. Cousins is really the only guy that would prevent a team from drafting an elite QB prospect.

Browns,Giants, Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Chargers,Bills, Jags,Vikings, Dolphins could all influence the QB hysteria at the draft. Maybe even a couple surprise teams as well...

The market will be there.

Just now, Trueman said:

It's the same every year : haves and haves nots. Cousins is really the only guy that would prevent a team from drafting an elite QB prospect.

Browns,Giants, Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Chargers,Bills, Jags,Vikings, Dolphins could all influence the QB hysteria at the draft. Maybe even a couple surprise teams as well...

The market will be there.

Hope so..It is a possibility, wouldn't plan my draft on it though..Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, and Nelson possibly Edmonds in that order if we stay at 3..