Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well this is a brutal, but truthful, assessment.

Narcosys

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of info on other teams (and therefore scrolling) so I have copied and pasted for easy access:

1. Work on an extension with Rashaan Melvin. Melvin had been a journeyman before 2017, but the former Ravens corner had his best season by a significant margin before going down with a fractured hand. He is now a free agent, but the 28-year-old will be entering a free-agent market that's deep in cover corners.

His successful campaign was only a 10-game sample, so the Colts shouldn't pay Melvin like he's a top cornerback on a long-term deal, but it would hardly be out of the question to give Melvin a deal in line with the three-year, $30 million pact Logan Ryan signed with the Titans last season. General manager Chris Ballard could even think about franchising Melvin given a lack of other candidates for the tag, but a transition tag would make more sense.

2. Bring back Jack Mewhort. Mewhort looked like he was rounding into an above-average guard after his first two seasons in the league, but injuries have limited the Ohio State product to 15 games over the past two seasons. The Colts can't depend on him to be an every-game starter for years to come, but given how few options there are elsewhere in the market, new coach Frank Reich will want Mewhort around as he tries to protect Andrew Luck and Jacoby Brissett.

Indy should try to structure Mewhort's deal around per-game roster bonuses, but bringing back Mewhort to play alongside Anthony Castonzo and Ryan Kelly gives the Colts most of an offensive line.

3. Sign Dion Lewis. If the Colts-Patriots rivalry is really back on, as Ballard said after the Colts missed out on Josh McDaniels, going after one of New England's best players is one way for Indy to strike a blow. Lewis has been wildly efficient during his time in New England, where the Patriots were 32-4 with the 5-foot-8 Lewis in the lineup. It would be wrong to expect Lewis to enjoy similar success with the Colts, but Lewis would allow Reich to spend more time in the no-huddle he wants to run and serve as the more consistent half of a rotation with Marlon Mack.

4. And Zach Brown. The Colts' linebackers were brutally bad in coverage in 2017. Indy's 32nd-ranked pass defense by DVOA was 23rd against tight ends, 31st against running backs, 31st against short passes and 32nd against passes over the middle of the field. Sean Spence lasted only three games before being cut, while Antonio Morrison lasted all season and was often overmatched. Jon Bostic was the best inside linebacker the Colts had, but he is still really best as a run defender who doesn't have to play coverage.

Enter Brown, who would play the Sean Lee role as Indy transitions to a version of the 4-3 the Cowboys run under Rod Marinelli with new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus in tow. As an every-down linebacker, Brown could command something in the $8 million range while providing the Colts a level of stability in the middle of the field.

5. Trade down out of the No. 3 overall pick. I mentioned this back in October, but the Colts have the rare opportunity to pick near the top of a quarterback-rich draft without needing to draft a signal-caller. Even if you think Luck is irreparably damaged -- and nobody knows yet -- Brissett showed enough to keep Indy from going after another quarterback.

There are plenty of impactful players the Colts could take with the third pick at positions of need, including NC State defensive end Bradley Chubb and Penn State halfback Saquon Barkley. At the same time, though, the Colts are utterly bereft of young talent from the disastrous reign of Ryan Grigson. The core of so many great teams -- drafted-and-developed talent -- is missing from the Colts.

The 2012 draft delivered Luck and T.Y. Hilton; that's a win. Afterward? Nobody from the 2013 draft is left on the roster. If Mewhort and Donte Moncrief leave in free agency, no one will be left from the 2014 draft. The only players left from the 2015 draft are three injury-riddled prospects: Henry Anderson, Clayton Geathers and Denzelle Good. First-rounder Phillip Dorsett never developed into more than a fifth wideout before being traded for Brissett in a swap of players about to be released. Third-rounder D'Joun Smith, the team's second selection that year, is a free agent.

It's still too early to judge 2016, but the returns there aren't great. Second-rounder T.J. Green was moved to cornerback, then back to safety, and was out of the rotation for most of the season. He found a role only after 2017 first-rounder Malik Hooker tore up his knee. Third-rounder Le'Raven Clark hasn't looked like a quality NFL tackle. Morrison was a mess. Kelly and fourth-round pick Joe Haeg have shown the most signs of life, but there's a missing core of Colts players around Luck. Guys like Bjoern Werner, Hugh Thornton and Trent Richardson (famously acquired for a first-round pick) were added to be regulars, and they're instead out of football.

The Colts aren't one player away. They're Luck and a half-dozen players away. They don't just lack depth; they lack talented contributors with upside in starting roles up and down the roster. The best thing they can do is try to exploit one of those teams that wants to go after Barkley, Chubb or one of the other quarterbacks and acquire multiple first- and second-round picks in the process. Trading down is no guarantee for success, as the Browns will tell you, but if the Colts can get a massive offer for the third selection, their roster construction suggests Ballard should take it.

I would say that I don't think Dion Lewis is a great addition.  He is a good player but will come at a premium with being from New England, and that goes against Ballard's ethos.

I am on the "trade back" bandwagon but I would not want to go back further than 5/6/7 to still be able to get a blue chip player (potentially Chubb or is it too high to take Nelson?).

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I would say that I don't think Dion Lewis is a great addition.  He is a good player but will come at a premium with being from New England, and that goes against Ballard's ethos.

I am on the "trade back" bandwagon but I would not want to go back further than 5/6/7 to still be able to get a blue chip player (potentially Chubb or is it too high to take Nelson?).

If we can trade back with the jets I’d take Nelson with the 6th pick.

Word was last season Mewhort may retire because of chronic injuries. I can't bring back and depend on him playing.

Resign Melvin. We need CB's.

I'd pass on Lewis because I'm hoping to get Barkley in draft. If he's there, I'd take him. If not I'll take a rb in rpund 2 or 3 to paor up woth Mack.

If Barkley not there at 3 then I would prefer Chubb as to trading down unless offer is sweeeet. Need coverage LBers bad.

The colts need a "massive" offer to trade back out of their #3 spot in my opinion. Hopefully Ballard doesn't settle for just an extra second round pick. In my opinion, there would have to be 2-3 extra picks. Teams want a good QB and a phenomenal RB? You'll have to pay for it.

The "Trade Down" option may not be readily available.  It's early and there will be more evaluation.  But right now there are at least four college QBs that are about dead even, depending on who you're talking to.  And I'm not even counting Jackson or Rudolph, where a team like the Giants could pick them to sit and develop for a year or two.

Add in the Cousins and AJ factor and at least one or two teams won't be willing to trade.  Most likely Denver. 

Bottom line, we may just stick at 3.  So, who's the BPA at that time?  IMHO it's Barkley if he's there.  If he's gone because Cleveland or the Giants made other QB plans - who's next?  Chubb?

Don’t agree with Mewhort. He’s contemplated retirement because he has a degenerative knee. That means it’ll only get worse, not better. I would move on. Get a guard in FA and onebin the draft. Get Haeg in the weight room and get him ready to battle it out with Good for the starting RT spot.

I would say that all these articles, blurbs, etc. are sometimes fun and time passers however are dumb. None of us ever know what will be done or what should be done from organizational viewpoint. We need to stop reading these things as gospel.. all will be fine except the wait duration in between now FA start and combine.

54 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I would say that all these articles, blurbs, etc. are sometimes fun and time passers however are dumb. None of us ever know what will be done or what should be done from organizational viewpoint. We need to stop reading these things as gospel.. all will be fine except the wait duration in between now FA start and combine.

You can honestly read that, and the list of (mostly) failed draft picks for 4 years and just say all will be well?  You are truly a rose smelling optimist.  This roster has more holes than a Krispy Kreme factory.  All will not be well until most of those holes are filled.  The best example of that is this most recent SB.  The Patriots had (arguably) the best QB and TE of all time, but with the few glaring holes in their defense, were not able to overcome a team without holes who had their backup QB playing.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Word was last season Mewhort may retire because of chronic injuries. I can't bring back and depend on him playing.

Resign Melvin. We need CB's.

I'd pass on Lewis because I'm hoping to get Barkley in draft. If he's there, I'd take him. If not I'll take a rb in rpund 2 or 3 to paor up woth Mack.

If Barkley not there at 3 then I would prefer Chubb as to trading down unless offer is sweeeet. Need coverage LBers bad.

I agree he is too injury prone now.

I would pass on Lewis. I like the resign of Mewhart based on games played but would not count on him. I would ONLY trade the 3rd pick if we get a great offer. Say a high #1 & #2 say like the Jets and Denver and draft Nelson. Yes resigning Melvin is a no brainier. Draft a

OL,  pass rushers, RB, Lbers, and WR in a best player available format.

Luck is done.  Only a fool would believe that he'll be an NFL caliber thrower after watching him struggle mightily to come back from his serious injury and complicated surgery.  His recovery is way past overdue so quit fooling yourselves.  Draft a QB at #3 or suffer dire consequences.  Brissett isn't even in the same time zone as the top 3 QB prospects in this draft: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  Even drafting Jackson and changing our offense would be a big improvement over Brissett.  We have our capable backup QB in Brissett but nothing more.  Chubb?  Barkley?  A cloned Reggie White or Jim Brown wouldn't do enough good to matter as long as we don't have a good starting QB.  Just review last year's results without a healthy Luck.  And seriously, trade with conference foes Denver or the Jets?  So they can get their franchise QB?  Nonsense.  I'd take Mayfield, who I believe is third best, over any other two players in this draft.

4 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Luck is done.  Only a fool would believe that he'll be an NFL caliber thrower after watching him struggle mightily to come back from his serious injury and complicated surgery.  His recovery is way past overdue so quit fooling yourselves.  Draft a QB at #3 or suffer dire consequences.  Brissett isn't even in the same time zone as the top 3 QB prospects in this draft: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.  Even drafting Jackson and changing our offense would be a big improvement over Brissett.  We have our capable backup QB in Brissett but nothing more.  Chubb?  Barkley?  A cloned Reggie White or Jim Brown wouldn't do enough good to matter as long as we don't have a good starting QB.  Just review last year's results without a healthy Luck.  And seriously, trade with conference foes Denver or the Jets?  So they can get their franchise QB?  Nonsense.  I'd take Mayfield, who I believe is third best, over any other two players in this draft.

This belongs in the Troll Thread over in Misc Discussions. 

Stop it, you're killing me!

Ask yourself, "when did I think Andrew would start throwing a football in earnest, one year ago?"  When did you expect him to be ready to practice last year?  Did you think he'd be starting by game 6? ... 8?  And you're not at all concerned now because Andrew just told you he isn't planning a second surgery?

You should troll around on all the other NFL fan forums who take it for granted that Andrew is through.

9 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Stop it, you're killing me!

Ask yourself, "when did I think Andrew would start throwing a football in earnest, one year ago?"  When did you expect him to be ready to practice last year?  Did you think he'd be starting by game 6? ... 8?  And you're not at all concerned now because Andrew just told you he isn't planning a second surgery?

You should troll around on all the other NFL fan forums who take it for granted that Andrew is through.

What does it matter what WE think about it? I'm not a doctor nor am I part of any rehab team associated with Andrew Luck. I've had multiple serious surgeries before, two of the same, and each of them took different amounts of time to come back from. Your argument is weak, and I would DEFINITELY not base anything about Andrew Luck on any fan forum, ESPECIALLY outside of the colts lol.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The "Trade Down" option may not be readily available.  It's early and there will be more evaluation.  But right now there are at least four college QBs that are about dead even, depending on who you're talking to.  And I'm not even counting Jackson or Rudolph, where a team like the Giants could pick them to sit and develop for a year or two.

Add in the Cousins and AJ factor and at least one or two teams won't be willing to trade.  Most likely Denver. 

Bottom line, we may just stick at 3.  So, who's the BPA at that time?  IMHO it's Barkley if he's there.  If he's gone because Cleveland or the Giants made other QB plans - who's next?  Chubb?

I go with Chubb at 3 no matter who's still available. I would never take an RB in the first round especially not that high. But in free agency, I try really hard to get Norwell.  

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

The colts need a "massive" offer to trade back out of their #3 spot in my opinion. Hopefully Ballard doesn't settle for just an extra second round pick. In my opinion, there would have to be 2-3 extra picks. Teams want a good QB and a phenomenal RB? You'll have to pay for it.

They should get a first, second, and one other.

20 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I go with Chubb at 3 no matter who's still available. I would never take an RB in the first round especially not that high. But in free agency, I try really hard to get Norwell.  

I see your point and would agree without hesitation if I knew that Chubb was a difference maker.  Or that the difference between him and a pass rusher we could get in the second round was that great.  I don't know if either statement is true.

I believe the difference between Barkley and any RB we can get in the second round is pretty wide.  He's like adding another layer of protection for Luck, as a blocker and a threat out of the backfield.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I see your point and would agree without hesitation if I knew that Chubb was a difference maker.  Or that the difference between him and a pass rusher we could get in the second round was that great.  I don't know if either statement is true.

I believe the difference between Barkley and any RB we can get in the second round is pretty wide.  He's like adding another layer of protection for Luck, as a blocker and a threat out of the backfield.

But do we want to shore up dedicated blockers, or take a great RB who we may have to waste on blocking?

This goes to dropping down and getting Nelson.

Plus a good OL can make average RBs look good.

1. I agree with bringing back Melvin, but i don't think he's worth $10M per year based off 10 games! That's ludicrous. 

2. Bring back Mewhort as quality depth. His knees are about shot unless he gets adult stem cell injections + hyaluronic acid injections into the knees. 

3. We should draft Jaylen Samuels instead of signing dion lewis.

4. Brown is a good LB. He would be a quality pickup in this off-season. I don't think he would be as good as Sean Lee, so i would still want to draft LBs. Particularly, Shaun Dion Hamilton.

5. Most Colts fans are ok with trading back as long as it's not too far. Elite prospects are found at the top of Rd1 for a reason. We're not here @ #3 usually, so we have to make it count!

2 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

I have had the same surgery as Luck had 3 times, twice on my throwing shoulder! I can assure you Luck A is not done & B You have no idea what your talking about!!:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Where did you get your medical degree?

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

But do we want to shore up dedicated blockers, or take a great RB who we may have to waste on blocking?

This goes to dropping down and getting Nelson.

Plus a good OL can make average RBs look good.

I think it's a given that we all agree the Oline needs improvement and we're hoping it's done with FAs.

Earlier I addressed my concern/belief that trading down isn't going to be as simple as some people are making it. 

Realistically, there are four teams that would trade with us.  Cousins will most likely go to one of them.  AJ may go to the other.  If the remaining teams are AZ and Buffalo, there's probably no chance that Nelson would even be there.

But if we trade to the Jets or Denver, then I'd have no problem going with Nelson.  He may be the only O lineman that's NFL ready day one.

5 hours ago, tikyle said:

You can honestly read that, and the list of (mostly) failed draft picks for 4 years and just say all will be well?  You are truly a rose smelling optimist.  This roster has more holes than a Krispy Kreme factory.  All will not be well until most of those holes are filled.  The best example of that is this most recent SB.  The Patriots had (arguably) the best QB and TE of all time, but with the few glaring holes in their defense, were not able to overcome a team without holes who had their backup QB playing.

Look genius, I never read the article as was my point. You know the point of NOT reading any articles in the offseason as whatever they say are just opinions and not likely the opinions of the organization or even if they are, are we ever really going to know. Again, idk what that article stated as I didn't click the link to read it

7 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Wow.... this take is a little too hot.

5 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

1. I agree with bringing back Melvin, but i don't think he's worth $10M per year based off 10 games! That's ludicrous. 

2. Bring back Mewhort as quality depth. His knees are about shot unless he gets adult stem cell injections + hyaluronic acid injections into the knees. 

3. We should draft Jaylen Samuels instead of signing dion lewis.

4. Brown is a good LB. He would be a quality pickup in this off-season. I don't think he would be as good as Sean Lee, so i would still want to draft LBs. Particularly, Shaun Dion Hamilton.

5. Most Colts fans are ok with trading back as long as it's not too far. Elite prospects are found at the top of Rd1 for a reason. We're not here @ #3 usually, so we have to make it count!

From everything I've read,  Samuels is an under-sized fullback & H-back.    He's not a running back, a guy you want to build your running game around.     On lists,  he's not on any RB lists,  but is usually the first fullback listed.

Just want to make sure we're on the same page here.....

As for Barnwell, I agree with most of his assessment. Although, I don't want Dion Lewis, let someone else overpay him. 

Grigson royally f'ed this franchise and it going to take time to fix it if we want to build anything sustainable. 

I don't think we're too far off if Ballard drafts well, if he drafts exceptionally well, then who knows? Barnwell is right though, we need a massive injection of young talent. 

The 3rd overall pick is likely the best trading chip Ballard will have during his tenure here, so maximizing it's value is beyond paramount, and really, the only way drafting at 3 makes sense is if there's an elite LT or an elite pass-rusher. And because there's not an elite tackle , that leaves Chubb. Which is why I think we take Chubb or we trade down. 

If Ballard thinks Chubb is a franchise-altering pass-rusher , I think he'll take him. If he thinks he'll just be a really good player , he'll move down.

8 hours ago, tikyle said:

The glaring hole was A QB named Brady the best of all time, It was  not the defense that fumbled the ball late in the SB that was the final nail so Patriots Lose  & the Back Up QB well he was the MVP what a awesome win for the Eagles ..

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been banging on tables for years saying we are NOT one great player away.....    but few here want to believe that.

We're not one great draft and free agency away.....     Ballard has his work cut-out for him.    Patience will be key....

I agree with this....  But to counter this.   We are one great player and Andrew Luck away from winning the AFC south again with the new coaching staff of course 

18 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I agree with this....  But to counter this.   We are one great player and Andrew Luck away from winning the AFC south again with the new coaching staff of course 

We are way more than one great player and Andrew Luck away from winning the AFC South.  That is unless this one great player can play multiple positions on offense and defense.  

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

We are way more than one great player and Andrew Luck away from winning the AFC South.  That is unless this one great player can play multiple positions on offense and defense.  

We left 6 games on the table because of poor coaching and a QB that made some bad decision....   Could have been 9-7 or 10-6 probably with just better coaching.   Which we will now have and Andrew Luck back.   Add in the one great player. Preferable pass rush or MLB along with getting Hooker back, Simon back and Melvin back (hopefully) Geathers gets back to form....   the Oline the way it is will look better (I didn't say good) with scheme change and better play calling.

So I disagree about the AFC South being beyond reach...

Yes we are not close to a deep playoff run, but playoff next season are well with in reach

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

I hope you're right but fear you're not.   I like what J'Ville and Houston have done.   Tennessee not as much.

We might take a good jump with the new staff..    I think we might jump back up to Wild Card level...   not sure we can get all the way up to the top of the conference in one season.    That might be too big a jump for one year.   I think our roster is pretty thin...

Again...   I hope you're right...

14 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Imagine brown and hitchens being signed