Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking Down The Dbs In The Combine

http://www.nationalf...B-workouts.html

Stephen Gilmore and Casey Hayward are potential playmakers, IMO, at the next level.

Casey Hayward at No.65 will not be a reach to me, Stephen Gilmore at 34 might be.

But in this stop-the-pass-and-pass-the-ball primarily league, pass rushers, WRs and DBs do have a premium on them.

Brandon Taylor, LSU safety, is a very interesting prospect to me along with Iloka of Boise State and Antonio Allen of South Carolina. Round 4 or round 5 - if one of them is there, do we go for them?

Thoughts???

Harrison Smith looked very good today too, my top DB's at 65 are Hayward/Harrison Smith/Minnfield/Bentley.

I'd go Taylor/Iloka in rd 4, Allen in rd 5

Also, Sean Richardson and Robert Blanton are a couple 6-7rd guys(maybe Blanton as safety) I'd be interested in.

I was thinking Chase Minnfield at 65, if he's there. I think Gilmore at 34 is a reach. We could trade down and get Leonard Johnson and someone else too.

don't know about minnifield. only measured in at 5'10 and after only getting 7 reps in the bench he didn't participate in any of the other drills. plus, the scouting report i read claimed he was more of a zone guy. didn't see him play, so i can't really say.

was hoping the colts could pick up josh robinson late in the draft as a cb/kr....but then he goes out and runs a 4.29 (hand timed)

don't know about minnifield. only measured in at 5'10 and after only getting 7 reps in the bench he didn't participate in any of the other drills. plus, the scouting report i read claimed he was more of a zone guy. didn't see him play, so i can't really say.

was hoping the colts could pick up josh robinson late in the draft as a cb/kr....but then he goes out and runs a 4.29

Hmm 5-10 is a little smaller than I thought he was, but I'm not really worried about reps for CBs. I heard on the radio this morning that scouts really don't care at all about bench reps, because they really don't have anything to do with football. I watched some highlights of Minnfield and I remember he had some good games against the Canes over the last few years.

I also like Trumaine Johnson and Jayron Hosley.

Hmm 5-10 is a little smaller than I thought he was, but I'm not really worried about reps for CBs. I heard on the radio this morning that scouts really don't care at all about bench reps, because they really don't have anything to do with football. I watched some highlights of Minnfield and I remember he had some good games against the Canes over the last few years.

I also like Trumaine Johnson and Jayron Hosley.

i don't really care about the bech either, but the fact that he duked the 40 is kinda worrisome...unless he has some kind of injury.

I'd like Hayward or Minnifield at 65, but I almost think CB might not be as much of a weakness as we make it out to be.

It's hard to really know how good our CBs are, when the scheme they've been playing in forces them to allow easy 7 yard slants every single down. I bet even Jacob Lacey could play in another scheme and be productive. When we fired Coyer, our guys looked a little better. When Lacey made his pick, it was because he actually made a play on the ball, rather than just letting the receiver catch it.

If we just took some late round guy that plays a physical style of coverage I would be happy. I haven't really looked very deeply into the CB prospects though.

Is it just me or do CBs seem to be a lot harder to scout than other positions?

You just never know what you're gonna get til you have them on an NFL roster, going against NFL talent, and having NFL coaches.

True.

I look to see if a DB has done the same amount of production over a couple seasons in college, though, to see if he'll play the same way in the NFL. Hayward put up similar numbers 2 years in a row against WR's in the SEC. That's saying something! and the fact that he put up Very similar numbers to Claiborne and Kirkpatrick in the combine tells me the colts should pursue him!

I think with DB's you start with their college production against talented offensive players and the type of defensive schemes that they played then go back to the measurables third. DB's are a hard group to scout except for those at the top of the draft...like the Peterson's and Claiborne's. It's easy when they're athletic freaks.

Poe to KC.. So much for your NT theory.

To be fair, I didn't think Poe would run close to a 4.9 or put up 44 reps in the bench press.

Honestly, I don't like Barron at all, but I'm in the minority.

I'm not a huge fan of him either, his position is a dying breed. Strong safeties will be need to be able to cover the Rob Gronkowski's, Jimmy Graham's, and Jermichael Finley's of the league.

I think Harrison should be our pick in the 2nd IF he is still there.. after his performance he may jump higher than 34 ... Safeties are weak this year..

CB.. hosley/hayward/johnson...I like Trumane.. deep pick.. josh norman ..justin bethel looked good to I like Taylor to.. LSU /SEC breeds good corners

will be interesting to to see what happens in the next couple weeks in FA before the draft

To be fair, I didn't think Poe would run close to a 4.9 or put up 44 reps in the bench press.

I'm not a huge fan of him either, his position is a dying breed. Strong safeties will be need to be able to cover the Rob Gronkowski's, Jimmy Graham's, and Jermichael Finley's of the league.

He fills a need! It's not about what he did, their will be 3-5 NT/DT taken in round one.

It's hard to really know how good our CBs are, when the scheme they've been playing in forces them to allow easy 7 yard slants every single down. I bet even Jacob Lacey could play in another scheme and be productive. When we fired Coyer, our guys looked a little better. When Lacey made his pick, it was because he actually made a play on the ball, rather than just letting the receiver catch it.

Absolutely. Even Tim Jennings looked better when he left us. The scheme we've been running since the Super Bowl is just inane. I hate it. Not only is it not effective, it makes it impossible to know whether our players are any good. We have three young corners (Rucker, Thomas, Terrence Johnson) that look like they have great tools and ball skills, and they all have been handicapped by a dumb scheme. We cut another one that was easily our second best corner (Tryon). The safeties haven't been able to do anything. The pass rush hasn't been able to do anything. I am so glad we're changing our defensive scheme, if for no other reason than the fact that I don't have to look at our corners playing eight yards off every down anymore.

Poe, Worthy, Still, Thompson are NT

Poe is a nose tackle. Worthy potential could be a 3-4 nose tackle but needs tons of work, and will likely be a 2nd round pick. Still is far from a 3-4 nosetackle. Thompson could be a 1 gap 3-4 nosetackle, and even then... he won't go in the 1st.

The 1st round defensive tackles;

100% locks: Fletcher Cox and Dontari Poe

75% more than likely to go in first round: Devon Still and Michael Brockers

50% fringe first round picks: Alameda Ta'amu, Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes, and Brandon Thompson

I think 4 go in the first round; Cox, Poe, Brockers, Reyes. Of those, you can only make the argument that Poe and Brockers could be 3-4 nosetackles. And with Brocker's combine I doubt even that.

Absolutely. Even Tim Jennings looked better when he left us. The scheme we've been running since the Super Bowl is just inane. I hate it. Not only is it not effective, it makes it impossible to know whether our players are any good. We have three young corners (Rucker, Thomas, Terrence Johnson) that look like they have great tools and ball skills, and they all have been handicapped by a dumb scheme. We cut another one that was easily our second best corner (Tryon). The safeties haven't been able to do anything. The pass rush hasn't been able to do anything. I am so glad we're changing our defensive scheme, if for no other reason than the fact that I don't have to look at our corners playing eight yards off every down anymore.

Yeah. Our idea of letting our DEs generate pressure, only to be negated by unimaginably soft coverage, has been extremely baffling to say the least. Also the stupid stunts we would pull with our DTs in the pass rush...I mean WTH man? If your defense is predicated on pressure, why would you give up such easy throws on the outside? Why would you have the DTs run around each other? It just didn't make sense. I'm so glad we have Pagano and people who hopefully won't stubbornly stick to a scheme that proves ineffective, time and time again.

Yeah. Our idea of letting our DEs generate pressure, only to be negated by unimaginably soft coverage, has been extremely baffling to say the least. Also the stupid stunts we would pull with our DTs in the pass rush...I mean WTH man? If your defense is predicated on pressure, why would you give up such easy throws on the outside? Why would you have the DTs run around each other? It just didn't make sense. I'm so glad we have Pagano and people who hopefully won't stubbornly stick to a scheme that proves ineffective, time and time again.

Stunts have a role in certain situations; so do cushions. But not the way we were using them.

http://www.nationalf...B-workouts.html

Stephen Gilmore and Casey Hayward are potential playmakers, IMO, at the next level.

Casey Hayward at No.65 will not be a reach to me, Stephen Gilmore at 34 might be.

But in this stop-the-pass-and-pass-the-ball primarily league, pass rushers, WRs and DBs do have a premium on them.

Brandon Taylor, LSU safety, is a very interesting prospect to me along with Iloka of Boise State and Antonio Allen of South Carolina. Round 4 or round 5 - if one of them is there, do we go for them?

Thoughts???

Well... the guys I want are CB Morris Claiborne and SS Mark Barron, which is a reason that I want us to trade down from the #1 pick.

And I'm interested in Brandon Taylor. LSU had an extrememly good secondary last year with Claiborne, Tyrann Mathieu, Taylor, and Eric Reid. I thought that Taylor was a redshirt sophomore or something like that but it turns out he's a senior.

Poe is a nose tackle. Worthy potential could be a 3-4 nose tackle but needs tons of work, and will likely be a 2nd round pick. Still is far from a 3-4 nosetackle. Thompson could be a 1 gap 3-4 nosetackle, and even then... he won't go in the 1st.

The 1st round defensive tackles;

100% locks: Fletcher Cox and Dontari Poe

75% more than likely to go in first round: Devon Still and Michael Brockers

50% fringe first round picks: Alameda Ta'amu, Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes, and Brandon Thompson

I think 4 go in the first round; Cox, Poe, Brockers, Reyes. Of those, you can only make the argument that Poe and Brockers could be 3-4 nosetackles. And with Brocker's combine I doubt even that.

I'm pretty sure he means 4-3 NT.

Any opinions on Josh Norman and Josh Robinson?

I believe Josh Robinson will be a steal since he is projected to go in round 4. He should really go late first or early second but the NFL advisory board thought he should stay another year in college. He was the fastest CB at the combine and his other measruables were also outstanding. He should rise some after the pro days have been completed. The safety class is down again this year like last year. The corners are not as good overall as last year and some of the bigger corners may have to move to safety in the NFL.