Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are our DE's already here?

Since we're changing to the 4-3 we of course need 2 starting DE's.

Sheard is expected to move to DE from OLB. Which brings us to the other end position. Bashaam? 

Bashaam had a horrible rookie season. Barely seeing the field and even being called out publicly by Ballard.

But Bashaam had several obstacles in his way. First, coming from a small school to NFL is a bigger transition than most other draftees. 2nd, trying learn a position, olb, when DE is his best position. 3rd, Pagano and his coaching staff certainly not the best group to coach you up. In fact, he was more likely dumbed down if anything.

Perhaps Ballard knew he would be switching to a 4-3 after he canned pagano and that is why Bashaam was drafted. His rookie year more like being redshirted.

So perhaps Sheard & Bashaam make passing up on Chubb a easier decision?

Thoughts on how Sheard & Bashaam will do in 4-3?

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Sheard is expected to move to DE from OLB. Which brings us to the other end position. Bashaam? 

Bashaam had a horrible rookie season. Barely seeing the field and even being called out publicly by Ballard.

But Bashaam had several obstacles in his way. First, coming from a small school to NFL is a bigger transition than most other draftees. 2nd, trying learn a position, olb, when DE is his best position. 3rd, Pagano and his coaching staff certainly not the best group to coach you up. In fact, he was more likely dumbed down if anything.

Perhaps Ballard knew he would be switching to a 4-3 after he canned pagano and that is why Bashaam was drafted. His rookie year more like being redshirted.

I wouldn't pass on Chubb because Basham is here...I think Basham will improve in the 4-3 because he can put his hand in the dirt, which is where he will excell.  However, I believe if we got Chubb and have 3 quality DE's that we can rotate, that is something we really need.

I believe Sheard is a great start, and Basham would be servicable. If you get Chubb and have both he and Sheard, now we are talking.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree that there is more to work with at DE than there is at OL. Quenton Nelson should be the pick after a trade down unless Ballard signs Norwell. 

I agree with you on Sheard, I'm not sold on Bashaam just yet but it'd be great to see him utilize his potential. I hope we draft a DE in the later rounds, say round 4 or 5, to compete with Bashaam and to have more depth. We have more pressing needs in my opinion & linebacker would be the biggest of them. 

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

This change to a 4-3 sucks imo 2 of our top pass rushers we signed last off season are better in a 3-4 

Neither of them got paid big money, and neither of them are game changing pass rushers. Doesn't bother me, and I think Sheard can play fine in a 4-3.

Playing it safe, playing "prevent" defense, when it comes to drafting and signing players is doomed to fail or make mediocrity acceptable in most cases...Sometimes you have to go for it on 4th down...Play to win, trying not to lose usually nets you the opposite effect.....It is called "Pagano Syndrome ", and it's creeped into the fanbase..

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Neither of them got paid big money, and neither of them are game changing pass rushers. Doesn't bother me, and I think Sheard can play fine in a 4-3.

Sheard got paid enough and he's fell off when playing in a 4-3 Simon idk how he will do could be better I only know of him being in a 3-4

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

About the time Basham should be coming into his own, and we May actually be real SB contenders, Sheard's contract will be up. Basham has good tools to become very solid.
So, yes we really need to add a solid starting/rotational level player ASAP, to have/develop for the current long term rebuild of our D.

Hunt played 4-3 DE with Bengels, Anderson was told to bulk up, but he was DE at Stanford, he might slim back down a bit. Mingo was DE in college and Simon can play DE. That gives us 6 on roster with a good nascar package. Kinda why I think we get Barkley or trade down for Nelson.

Sheard wasn't given a lot of money or a lengthy deal. He is a short term band-aid for the pass rushing issues. He's hear to get sacks and coach up younger guys on how to play the game for another 2 seasons. Ideally if he develops, then Basham is a future starter at DE. But you'd still need another starter across from him, which is where Chubb would come into play. He could be the primary pass rusher. But I wouldn't hitch the wagon to Sheard. He's a solid pass rusher but I doubt he's in any of our long term plans.

Quinn and Barron could be cap casualties in the coming weeks for the Rams.  If they are I expect Ballard will be all over them.  The Rams have a lot of quality impending FA's.   As a side note I could see them putting the transition tag on Watkins and we sign him to an offer sheet with an offer they don't match. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He played better towards the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sheard got paid enough and he's fell off when playing in a 4-3 Simon idk how he will do could be better I only know of him being in a 3-4

Simon played as a DE at Ohio State in their 4-3 defense. Bosa took over for him in 2013. He's better off, in my opinion, in this defense than as a stand-up OLB. I said in another post, if Chubb is the pick, and Simon and Sheard had to battle for the other spot, I wouldn't be surprised to Simon beat him out. 

I'm hoping that we can get a DE in FA like Dee Ford who isn't going to cost an arm and a leg but still has potential, much like what we did with Mingo last year. Ford had 10 sacks in 2016 so it isn't like he can't produce. I'm just hoping he can come back and produce after his injury. I think he could be a huge pick up for us and he is 26!

4 minutes ago, Black0ut117 said:

I'm hoping that we can get a DE in FA like Dee Ford who isn't going to cost an arm and a leg but still has potential, much like what we did with Mingo last year. Ford had 10 sacks in 2016 so it isn't like he can't produce. I'm just hoping he can come back and produce after his injury. I think he could be a huge pick up for us and he is 26!

I didn't know he was a free agent..I like that move, it makes sense with Ballard..

33 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I didn't know he was a free agent..I like that move, it makes sense with Ballard..

Ya, with the cap situation it seems less likely that they are going to be able to keep him. He is coming off of injury so the jury is out right now as far as what is going to happen in KC.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Simon played as a DE at Ohio State in their 4-3 defense. Bosa took over for him in 2013. He's better off, in my opinion, in this defense than as a stand-up OLB. I said in another post, if Chubb is the pick, and Simon and Sheard had to battle for the other spot, I wouldn't be surprised to Simon beat him out. 

Thanks for the info I wasn't sure if he had ever been in a 4-3 but hope he kills it for us 

I'm the first one to admit it, I don't know know a lot about football.  One of the main  reasons I come on this forum is to learn more.  No one has mentioned him, but want bout Harold Landry? The way he dips around the end beings back memories of Freeney and Von Miller.  He has a tremendous first step.  He seems so explosive and non stop motor.   Am I way off in my assessment?

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm the first one to admit it, I don't know know a lot about football.  One of the main  reasons I come on this forum is to learn more.  No one has mentioned him, but want bout Harold Landry? The way he dips around the end beings back memories of Freeney and Von Miller.  He has a tremendous first step.  He seems so explosive and non stop motor.   Am I way off in my assessment?

He is legit, somebody top of 2nd we should look at, I got him right behind Okoronkwo as someone I hope we get in 2nd...

Thanks for the reply. I just love the way Landry  dips around the tackle.  Great rush ends have this ability and it is a rare quality.  I think Ballard has a player in mind and I don't think they have to use their #3 to get him.  Hopefully trade back and get xtra picks. This pick has a lot of value and I think the colts want to get as many assets as they can. A #3  pick only comes around every ten years or so.  Well of course not if u r the Browns ;)

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If Ballard loves Chubb or even someone like Davenport,  having Basham (who I like)  is NOT a good enough reason not to take a player you love.

So, if it's Chubb, you take him, and Basham is your third DE.   He will still get snaps.  Then, in a year or two, you move on from Sherard and Basham can replace him in the starting lineup IF he's shown enough...

Just a different perspective for consideration.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard loves Chubb or even someone like Davenport,  having Basham (who I like)  is NOT a good enough reason not to take a player you love.

So, if it's Chubb, you take him, and Basham is your third DE.   He will still get snaps.  Then, in a year or two, you move on from Sherard and Basham can replace him in the starting lineup IF he's shown enough...

Just a different perspective for consideration.

Well like i said im not crazy about that tandem and hope we can do better. But maybe Ballard is thinking maybe them 2 is a possibility. Bashaam of course will need to do a near 180 to start.

We all here just speculating and give our humble opinions. But with Ballard going Hard after JM, a highly offensive coach AND THEN replacing him with another extreme minded offensive mind kinda makes me think Chubb may not be in the cards for Colts. If Reich has any input in the #3 pick you gotta think he'll prefer Barkley. Ballard's choices in HC's. were both offensive minded. Irsay dropped a word about another Edge. He didn't say another Freeney or Mathis, he said Edge. Several things are suggesting they may be thinking Offense? Maybe Irsay just blowing smoke. Maybe Ballard loves Chubb? 

Who knows? 

Personally I think if Barkley is there Ballard, Reich, and Irsay draft him. If he's not there I think they look to trade down.

Just speculating but I think they are looking to build a high powered Offense.

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well like i said im not crazy about that tandem and hope we can do better. But maybe Ballard is thinking maybe them 2 is a possibility. Bashaam of course will need to do a near 180 to start.

We all here just speculating and give our humble opinions. But with Ballard going Hard after JM, a highly offensive coach AND THEN replacing him with another extreme minded offensive mind kinda makes me think Chubb may not be in the cards for Colts. If Reich has any input in the #3 pick you gotta think he'll prefer Barkley. Ballard's choices in HC's. were both offensive minded. Irsay dropped a word about another Edge. He didn't say another Freeney or Mathis, he said Edge. Several things are suggesting they may be thinking Offense? Maybe Irsay just blowing smoke. Maybe Ballard loves Chubb? 

Who knows? 

Personally I think if Barkley is there Ballard, Reich, and Irsay draft him. If he's not there I think they look to trade down.

Just speculating but I think they are looking to build a high powered Offense.

I think the Colts ARE trying to build a high powered offense.   But not at the expense of a very good defense. 

Eberflus was a pure Ballard hire.   He found him years ago.   Ballard's background is mostly in that side of the ball.   Ballard and Irsay have talked about building a very good defense.   I don't think this has to be a k ever the other type of thing...    both can be done...

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the Colts ARE trying to build a high powered offense.   But not at the expense of a very good defense. 

Eberflus was a pure Ballard hire.   He found him years ago.   Ballard's background is mostly in that side of the ball.   Ballard and Irsay have talked about building a very good defense.   I don't think this has to be a k ever the other type of thing...    both can be done...

I think with a healthy Luck, and if Barkley is there, they will feel it's easier AND quicker to build that high powered offense that they invision rather than  a very good defense. 

I doubt they can achieve both in this offseason. 

The Defense will have to take a backseat to the O for a while.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think with a healthy Luck, and if Barkley is there, they will feel it's easier AND quicker to build that high powered offense that they invision rather than  a very good defense. 

I doubt they can achieve both in this offseason. 

The Defense will have to take a backseat to the O for a while.

You very well may be right...   but I certainly hope you're wrong.

We went down that road with both a Polian and Grigson...   and Irsay said his view was too much offense and not enough defense...    we will see if that holds up...

You don't pass on Chubb just because we already have Basham. That would be like passing on Peyton Manning because you already have Kirk Cousins. While he might be a decent DE, he doesn't compare to Chubb. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't draft Chubb. I'd much rather trade down for Nelson or Edmunds and get other picks, or draft Barkley at 3 if we can't trade down for whatever reason, but it is irrational to pass on a great player just because you already have a serviceable one at that position.

I was also going to mention about the seemingly forgotten Henry Anderson.   He was coming along nicely from the previous year’s leg injury when the freak throat injury put him out for the rest of the year.

Another offseason removed from the leg issue, no reason why he ought not return at full power, perhaps recapturing the “poor man’s” JJ Watt label that was being thrown about in describing him.

I agree that we currently have WAY more depth and upside on the DL than we do on the OL.  Thus at this point, I really prefer bolstering the OL, read slight trade down & take Nelson, whom quite a few draft experts are calling the first or second best talent available in the draft.  Just not much love for an OG around here, which considering the poor Colts’ OLs over the past ten years, I find to be a rather mind boggling sentiment.

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Just not much love for an OG around here, which considering the poor Colts’ OLs over the past ten years, I find to be a rather mind boggling sentiment.

positional value.  i think most are hoping we find a guard in free agency, they dont have to be elite either, just decent 

we will probably be near the bottom in sacks again if we go with sheard and basham as our starters

i dont think getting chubb is a given in the draft but he should obviously be high on our board.  

chubb, barkley or both could be off the board when we pick too.  in that scenario, the browns found a qb in free agency and the giants go bpa 

On 2/19/2018 at 2:08 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

This is wrong Sheard had his best season sack wise in a 4/3 with Cleveland of all places I believe  he will be fine and Simon will find playing time becuase he's that good! Both will be fine!