Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Norwell

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

A story on NFL.com lists Norwell as someone who will likely put the Franchise Tag on him.

While they currently don't have the cap space available,  the story suggests the Panthers will clear space to keep Norwell.

How does it work if he doesn't want the franchise tag and he wants to test the market?

yes he is very popular around here, including with myself. If we could get him with Nelson and Kelly in the center we would have one of the better Interior Olines in the league. I am not sure Ballard will target him though because he will be the highest paid guard ever probably and Ballard said that he will not make a big splash in FA. Also he is already rumored to be targeted by the Giants and 49ers to pay him "highest ever money"...thats all if the Panthers dont tag him.

18 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

How does it work if he doesn't want the franchise tag and he wants to test the market?

The team can put the tag on the player whether he wants it or not.    That's what the whole Kirk Cousins-Washington Redskins thing was about for two years.

The team has the right to put the tag on the player.    The player doesn't have to sign it.    Other teams can make offers, but if the player signs an offer sheet, then the team signing the player owes the team losing the player first round draft pick(s).

Typically most teams don't want to do that...

EDIT NOTE:   I see another poster has a different interpretation on the signing rules.   So mine may not be right.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The team can put the tag on the player whether he wants it or not.    That's what the whole Kirk Cousins-Washington Redskins thing was about for two years.

The team has the right to put the tag on the player.    The player doesn't have to sign it.    Other teams can make offers, but if the player signs an offer sheet, then the team signing the player owes the team losing the player first round draft pick(s).

Typically most teams don't want to do that...

EDIT NOTE:   I see another poster has a different interpretation on the signing rules.   So mine may not be right.

Depends on the tag:

Exclusive tag- no negotiations allowed

Non-Exclusive - can negotiate with other teams but the original team is owed 2 1st round picks if they do not match the offer sheet

Transition tag- can negotiate with other teams and original team is owed nothing if they dont match the offer sheet.

6 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Depends on the tag:

Non-Exclusive - can negotiate with other teams but the original team is owed 2 1st round picks if they do not match the offer sheet

Transition tag- can negotiate with other teams and original team is owed nothing if they dont match the offer sheet.

Is there really any benefit to the current team using anything but the exclusive tag? Or particular rules that specify when and what tag must be used?

11 minutes ago, life long said:

Is there really any benefit to the current team using anything but the exclusive tag? Or particular rules that specify when and what tag must be used?

Browns did it with Alex Mack. They used the transition tag. Allowed them to gauge his value accurately . They chose to match his offer sheet

17 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Depends on the tag:

Transition tag?    Owed nothing?

That sure doesn't sound right......

Either way.....    thanks....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Transition tag?    Owed nothing?

That sure doesn't sound right......

Either way.....    thanks....

Yah its weird. The only upside to that would be that the transition tag costs less to the team (average of the top 10 salaries at any given position vs average of top 5) while still giving them the option to match offer sheets. 

Just an interesting note about him.  He was really good for the Buckeyes, but the experts said he wasn’t “athletic”.  So he went undrafted.  

We we have a few guys on our team who have shown some promise.

Coaching and the will to exceed and succeed.  That’s what did it for Norwell.  If we don’t get him, all is not lost.  A quick passing game cures a lot of Oline problems.  

26 minutes ago, life long said:

Teams can use one of any of the three, and the dates to use them are the same. Just depends on the situation. The non-exclusive tag is actually the most commonly used tag, as they will get 2 1st round picks in compensation if they choose not to match, while still getting a feel for his value on the open market, which helps them for contract negotiations when looking at a long term deal.

The exclusive tag is used for the top players that are worth more than 2 1sts and would never want to chance losing (LeVeon Bell and Kirk Cousins are examples of players tagged under the exclusive tag last yr) 

The transition tag isnt often used, but is used for lesser players to help gauge the market for them while costing potentially less for the team (this tag is the average of the top 10 salaries at a position rather than the top 5). As explained above, it was used on Alex Mack a few yrs back to get a fix on his value, and other players in the last few yrs tagged under the transition tag include DE Jason Worilds (PIT -2014) and TE Charles Clay (MIA - 2015). 

9 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Teams can use one of any of the three, and the dates to use them are the same. Just depends on the situation. The non-exclusive tag is actually the most commonly used tag, as they will get 2 1st round picks in compensation if they choose not to match, while still getting a feel for his value on the open market, which helps them for contract negotiations when looking at a long term deal.

The exclusive tag is used for the top players that are worth more than 2 1sts and would never want to chance losing (LeVeon Bell and Kirk Cousins are examples of players tagged under the exclusive tag last yr) 

The transition tag isnt often used, but is used for lesser players to help gauge the market for them while costing potentially less for the team (this tag is the average of the top 10 salaries at a position rather than the top 5). As explained above, it was used on Alex Mack a few yrs back to get a fix on his value, and other players in the last few yrs tagged under the transition tag include DE Jason Worilds (PIT -2014) and TE Charles Clay (MIA - 2015). 

Thank you for the good info and insight. I live in Bronco land now and I believe they used the transition tag on their Rb last year. I also think if I was the skins, I would have hit Kirk with the non exclusive tag originally or at the very least the second time. I mean 2 extra 1st rounders, plus clearly they were never true believers of him. Thanks again!

15 minutes ago, life long said:

Thank you for the good info and insight. I live in Bronco land now and I believe they used the transition tag on their Rb last year. I also think if I was the skins, I would have hit Kirk with the non exclusive tag originally or at the very least the second time. I mean 2 extra 1st rounders, plus clearly they were never true believers of him. Thanks again!

Are you talking about CJ Anderson?? That was yet another designation. Since Anderson didnt have 4 accrued seasons in the nfl, he was a restricted free agent, meaning the Broncos had the option to tender him a 1 yr contract at one of three levels (1st round, 2nd round, originally drafted round), each with its own compensation level if they chose not to match an offer. Since he was an UDFA, and was given an original round tender, they would have gotten nothing in return for not matching his offer sheet from MIA. 

Similar to the transition tag in the way they work as far as offers, but VERY different salaries (original round tender cap hit for Anderson was only around 1.7M). Also not restricted to one tender per team. Looking at our roster we have 7 Restricted FAs that could potentially be tendered this offseason (Bray, Burkwell, Winn, George, Martin, Jones, Johnson).

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Are you talking about CJ Anderson?? That was yet another designation. Since Anderson didnt have 4 accrued seasons in the nfl, he was a restricted free agent, meaning the Broncos had the option to tender him a 1 yr contract at one of three levels (1st round, 2nd round, originally drafted round), each with its own compensation level if they chose not to match an offer. Since he was an UDFA, and was given an original round tender, they would have gotten nothing in return for not matching his offer sheet from MIA. 

Similar to the transition tag in the way they work as far as offers, but VERY different salaries (original round tender cap hit for Anderson was only around 1.7M). Also not restricted to one tender per team. Looking at our roster we have 7 Restricted FAs that could potentially be tendered this offseason (Bray, Burkwell, Winn, George, Martin, Jones, Johnson).

:scoregood:

Derp. Lol exactly. Yet again thank you....

:hat:

14 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Colts used the transition tag years back on Quinten Coryatt . They ended up matching and Coryatt as I remember didn't play up to the contract .He  retired a few years later due to injuries. 

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

We won’t get him unless we significantly outbid everybody. Every team wants him and those who can afford it will make him the highest paid guard. 

The colts are one of those teams that can make him the highest paid guard in the league. Depends on Ballard's willingness and where the guy wants to play.

On the plus side, he's from Cincinnati. Hopefully he has huge amount of family there.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The colts are one of those teams that can make him the highest paid guard in the league. Depends on Ballard's willingness and where the guy wants to play.

On the plus side, he's from Cincinnati. Hopefully he has huge amount of family there.

Ya we certainly can but he’s gonna have 10+ offers to pay him $12.5+ million per year. Slim chance we get him. It seems like every fan base, including ours, is overly optimistic on landing Norwell. 

Looks like Carolina isn't going to tag him, which makes sense...

Has any guard ever been franchise tagged? ... Seems unlikely as the league doesn't differentiate between OL positions for tagging purposes. Why would you tag a guard for (basically) an average of the top 5 LT's salaries? It would cost Carolina 14+mil. next season to tag Norwell and probably alienate him at the same time... For a guard, it seems the best course would be to kiss some serious butt and pray that you can negotiate a home discount... Or extend him before this type of situation occurs.

I'm fine with overpaying for Norwell a little as a Colts fan... Might be different if there were comparable options (regarding FA guards) or if our need wasn't so dire at the position.

Let's be optimistic y'all. Hopefully Carolina has screwed themselves with the cap in only having roughly $20 million to spend all off season including the draft, unless they make some surprise cuts like Charles Johnson or Greg Olsen which i don't see happening. They'd only save about $3.5 million for each & they both might still be well worth that money. They'll probably move on from Fozzie Whitaker & Colin Jones to save $2.3 million in all by letting both of them walk. After you calculate for the draft class salaries of roughly $7 million for their team at their current draft positions, per over the cap, it'd bring their teams cap space to $22.3 million at most for the year. So that cap would have to include injuries & everything else in the middle of a season, not just the off season signings or re-signings. They're gonna have a rough off season, so I highly doubt they'll be in the financial position to be able to franchise tag Norwell. At least not with the exclusive or non-exclusive tags. Maybe they can swing the transition tag, but if so we can still steal him away. So let's be optimistic for this to happen. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, Luck 4 president said:

We won’t get him unless we significantly outbid everybody. Every team wants him and those who can afford it will make him the highest paid guard. 

Actually we will able to significantly under bid many teams and still get him.
AND, we are the perfect team. Not in his home town but very close.
 We ARE the favorites to get him.

18 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I highly doubt we’d be able to “significantly under bid” and still get him, although I would be stoked if we did. What makes you think we are the favorites? I haven’t seen anyone outside of colts fans projecting him to come here. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Where did you read we are the favorite?

Hey,  I hope you're right!

I'm just asking if this is fact or opinion?

24 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Josh Sittons option was declined by the Bears making him a free agent too. He's older at 31 but still in his prime. Rated the #5 guard by PFF. Would be a good backup plan if we miss out on Norwell or Pugh.

Josh Sitton has always been solid and I would definitely support this move. He didn’t even get a large contract from the Bears two years ago so he would be an inexpensive temporary fix. Sign Norwell too and we have probably the best Oline if Kelly comes back healthy and improved.