Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fun Hypothetical: Trading Andrew Luck to the Browns

25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

because he is coming off a full missed season, he had a pretty major surgery that directly affects a quarterback, the future looms with question marks, whether or not he needs another surgery, if he is ready to play, whether or not he will even ever be the same QB he once was are all questions. I feel like a lot of people are starting to feel like this is his prime....and he is not available. At some point unless he can recover and contribute to wins he becomes dead weight. As much as it sucks, there has to be a line where Ballard decides he has to move on, we cant wait around forever. I think if he misses this season we will start looking at a future without Luck.

He missed half the season the previous year as well....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess about the push back in this thread is not that people dont understand what hypothetical/fun means. It's a respect thing. I could use the same logic about a girlfriend or wife.....talking about letting her go and picking up someone else while sitting with friends at a table and she wasn't there.....

But some people listening at that table might take my fun/hypothetical possibility as disrespect. What ever floats your boat, but if you dont see how that is disrespectful in the eyes of many fans, can't help ya. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

How does having those players for 4-5 years undermine your ability to have a good team? 

Draft well, keep your own. The salary cap isn't hard to navigate, especially five years from now. There will even be a new CBA by then. 

Especially in this scenario. You're getting rid of your highest paid player, and saving a significant amount of cap over the next five years by moving his contract. You're also talking about the Colts, who basically have no one to pay on the roster this year or next.

Having too many players to pay is a "problem" I would welcome.

I understand where you're coming from, Supes, but I would just rather have a proven quartback and a decent team for longer than trying to find a new star QB, which might not even work out. Even with the CBA, the values of players are skyrocketing, and we would have to grab a new QB which we would have to pay a ton of money out of that anyway. Just my humble opinion, and I get what you're saying, but it just seems like having to many players to pay for retaining their services isn't as easy as it sounds.

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

If Luck is healthy, I'd even call them and offer them Luck for the 1st, 4th, and Myles Garrett..People forget he is 30 years old and will be a hit away from retirement the rest of his career...

He is 28 years old  and if we just build a worth of crap o-line he will be fine and play until he is around 40 years old.

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Just a fun hypothetical trade I was thinking of earlier. 

I think semi-reasonably the Colts could trade Andrew Luck to the Browns for the 1st, 4th, 33rd, 35th, and their next year's first round draft pick (I'm not gonna pretend to know what Lucks value is coming off of a missed season and questions about his shoulder).

This would give the Colts 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft. And 6 of the top 36 picks in the draft.

We could flip any and all of the picks we have in the top 3 into even more draft picks this year and in the future. Hypothetically the Colts could flip Luck and the #3 pick in the draft into 6-8 future first round picks in the next two years and also stacking themselves up with picks this year as well. While also clearing up a ton of cap space.

and we'd watch Luck leads the Browns to the playoffs for the next 10 years while we try to get by with Baker Mayfield

18 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I understand where you're coming from, Supes, but I would just rather have a proven quartback and a decent team for longer than trying to find a new star QB, which might not even work out. Even with the CBA, the values of players are skyrocketing, and we would have to grab a new QB which we would have to pay a ton of money out of that anyway. Just my humble opinion, and I get what you're saying, but it just seems like having to many players to pay for retaining their services isn't as easy as it sounds.

I would rather have Luck and make everything else work, so we agree there. It just doesn't bother me to have to pay good players in 4-5 years, if they're worth it.

12 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Foles is a better QB for Reich's offense than LUCKY ever will be. About 650 miles away Not 20 years. JMO

Would you have said that the day BEFORE Foles replaced Wentz?   No.   Hell, no!

Your ability to see things no else on this website does is the stuff of Legends.

You actually think Nick Foles can do things Andrew Luck can't?    In what parallel universe?!?

Oh, dear God!           :facepalm:

Never drink and post....    :thmup:

1 hour ago, King! said:

Well it's the Browns so we should never rule anything out.

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

With the Browns, we could probably do that trade and next year get Luck back for a 3rd rounder. If of course  they first don't flip him to the Steelers, Broncos, Giants,  or Pats. haha

I have a feeling the days of the Browns being the butt of the jokes are soon coming to an end. We shall see.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have a feeling the days of the Browns being the butt of the jokes are soon coming to an end. We shall see.

I think we will see.

Eventually, with lots of high draft choices and lots of cap space, you have to get better.

Just ask Jacksonville.

They have the highest paid defense in the NFL...and some good young defenders mixed in.

It might not have been genius so much as it was inevitable

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think we will see.

Eventually, with lots of high draft choices and lots of cap space, you have to get better.

Just ask Jacksonville.

They have the highest paid defense in the NFL...and some good young defenders mixed in.

It might not have been genius so much as it was inevitable

That is not why I made the comment.

I think Dorsey as the GM will have the results to turn the Browns around. He set this draft up like a fined tuned guitar.

The only thing I question now is Hue Jackson. Talk about a head coach on the hot seat?  His is already smoking right now.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Would you have said that the day BEFORE Foles replaced Wentz?   No.   Hell, no!

Your ability to see things no else on this website does is the stuff of Legends.

You actually think Nick Foles can do things Andrew Luck can't?    In what parallel universe?!?

Oh, dear God!           :facepalm:

Never drink and post....    :thmup:

Not a drinker.
All these years of watching Lucky's total mediocrity in the short to mid-range game.
He is still lacking in quick thinking, touch, and accuracy. 
 He LOVES firing the ball, and he loves throwing his Nolan Ryan, straight over the top fastball, 15, 20, 25 yards down the field, and is Giddy as he holds onto the ball waiting for his pass catchers to come out of their breaks to make up his mind to throw it. And then he WAS Giddy to complement the son __ _ ___ that blasted him to the ground saying Nice Hit. How many Homer's will be holding their breath every Good Hit now? chuckle
 Foles 27-2. I watch him in the playoffs and see his quick mind, excellent touch and accuracy and marvel.
 So it is a HUGE Show Me Lucky because we have never seen it yet. He has Proven he can move the ball with his legs and coming from behind with his arm when the defenses play a little deeper trying not to give up the big play. Was his legendary play poor play early in games his own strategy. bwaa ha haa. chuckle again
 Take away his running (Foles, Brady, Manning) from his game, and Lucky very likely would have a below .500 winning %. In our AFC South. The best since Elway. chuckle
 It will be interesting. I promise i will be rooting for him, with high hopes Frank can get in his head and make him a much better all around pocket passer.

Mewhort Sucks the life out of an offense because he is useless beyond what he can do right in front of him. :thmup:

ANYONE that mocks him back to us is a Blind, ____ Homer. Go Colts!

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree with this. I just don't understand why we're projecting a future without Luck when there's a solid year before it even need to be considered.

I think it all has to do with trade value which is why we're even entertaining this hypothetical trade. Luck, if he was perceived healthy, would net us a ton of draft picks/players as opposed to getting nothing for him if he misses yet another year and has an uncertain future. 

A trade of a perceived healthy Luck could entice the Browns to trade their 1st, 4th, and possibly even include Myles Garrett to that mix. Which to me I would certainly entertain that if we believe Ballard is great at finding talent in the draft like I believe he is. Adding Quenton Nelson, Saquan Barkley, and one of the top QBs if not the top QB would be intriguing in the sense that it would give Ballard young stud pieces on offense, while also adding a young stud on defense in Garrett. 

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not a drinker.
All these years of watching Lucky's total mediocrity in the short to mid-range game.
 He LOVES firing the ball, and he loves throwing his Nolan Ryan, straight over the top fastball, 15, 20, 25 yards down the field, and is Giddy as he holds onto the ball waiting for his pass catchers to come out of their breaks to make up his mind to throw it. And then he WAS Giddy to complement the son __ _ ___ that blasted him to the ground saying Nice Hit. How many Homer's will be holding their breath every Good Hit now? chuckle
 Foles 27-2. I watch him in the playoffs and see his quick mind, excellent touch and accuracy and marvel.
 So it is a HUGE Show Me Lucky because we have never seen it yet. He has Proven he can move the ball with his legs and coming from behind with his arm when the defenses play a little deeper trying not to give up the big play. Was his legendary play poor play early in games his own strategy. bwaa ha haa. chuckle again
 Take away his running (Foles, Brady, Manning) from his game, and Lucky very likely would have a below .500 winning %. In our AFC South. The best since Elway. chuckle
 It will be interesting. I promise i will be rooting for him, with high hopes Frank can get in his head and make him a much better all around pocket passer.

Mewhort Sucks the life out of an offense because he is useless beyond what he can do right in front of him. :thmup:

I don't know for sure but think maybe one of Luck's problems is not being good at LOS reads? He needs play to develop and see a receiver to get open AND then throw to him? Which is sometimes a half a second too late.  Manning, Rogers, Brady etc.. read the defense at LOS and have keys. If cb steps inside the wr should be open outside...if the lb moves outside  ill throw a slant...etc... They know who is best target at the line/or just after the snap. I'm not sure Luck has that awareness yet which may explain his lack of calling audibles and holding ball long? A QB coaching guru couldn't hurt.

Again I don't know for sure.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't know for sure but think maybe one of Luck's problems is not being good at LOS reads? He needs play to develop and see a receiver to get open AND then throw to him? Which is sometimes a half a second too late.  Manning, Rogers, Brady etc.. read the defense at LOS and have keys. If cb steps inside the wr should be open outside...if the lb moves outside the slant ill throw a slant...etc... They know where who is best target at the line/or just after the snap. I'm not sure Luck has that awareness yet which may explain his lack of calling audibles? 

I have same questions about Luck..He should be able to audible, throw players open, go through progressions instead of focusing on hilton, etc by now...That again goes to coaching severely hindering his development...It can not be said enough how poisonous the Pagano era was to this team, it will take awhile to climb out of the pit he has put us in..

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't know for sure but think maybe one of Luck's problems is not being good at LOS reads? He needs play to develop and see a receiver to get open AND then throw to him? Which is sometimes a half a second too late.  Manning, Rogers, Brady etc.. read the defense at LOS and have keys. If cb steps inside the wr should be open outside...if the lb moves outside  ill throw a slant...etc... They know who is best target at the line/or just after the snap. I'm not sure Luck has that awareness yet which may explain his lack of calling audibles and holding ball long? A QB coaching guru couldn't hurt.

I can't vouch for Rodgers, but this took Peyton years to master. In his earlier days (pre 2004ish) he was prone to some of the same mistakes. One ability he was able to master quickly though, was throwing receivers open. But this was due to a stable, consistent offense year in and year out, with a lot of the same receivers over the years for him to work with. Andrew simply has not had that luxury. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think it all has to do with trade value which is why we're even entertaining this hypothetical trade. Luck, if he was perceived healthy, would net us a ton of draft picks/players as opposed to getting nothing for him if he misses yet another year and has an uncertain future. 

A trade of a perceived healthy Luck could entice the Browns to trade their 1st, 4th, and possibly even include Myles Garrett to that mix. Which to me I would certainly entertain that if we believe Ballard is great at finding talent in the draft like I believe he is. Adding Quenton Nelson, Saquan Barkley, and one of the top QBs if not the top QB would be intriguing in the sense that it would give Ballard young stud pieces on offense, while also adding a young stud on defense in Garrett. 

There's the hypothetical trade for a bunch of picks, and I get treating that as a hypothetical.

I'm more referencing the question about whether Luck is damaged goods, will never play again, etc. At this point, it's not even worth getting worked up about. It's February. If he isn't able to play next season, then it will be obvious that it's time to move to Plan B at QB. For now, it's all about his rehab, getting his shoulder/arm back, and just as important, working on his motion and footwork. (I'm really excited about him working with House and Dedeaux.)

On 2/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, Dustin said:

I think semi-reasonably the Colts could trade Andrew Luck to the Browns for the 1st, 4th, 33rd, 35th, and their next year's first round draft pick (I'm not gonna pretend to know what Lucks value is coming off of a missed season and questions about his shoulder).

This would give the Colts 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft. And 6 of the top 36 picks in the draft.

We could flip any and all of the picks we have in the top 3 into even more draft picks this year and in the future. Hypothetically the Colts could flip Luck and the #3 pick in the draft into 6-8 future first round picks in the next two years and also stacking themselves up with picks this year as well. While also clearing up a ton of cap space.

Trade your wife.  Not the franchise QB.

:pokerface:

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The best since Elway. chuckle

people bring this up a lot on espn and nfl.com

remember it took elway a long time to win a super bowl, and they had a stacked team when he finally did.

he also once went 5-11 and then 7-9 

Any one would take it, but no team would ever trade that many picks all from the same year

19 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not a drinker.

BBZ.....

You and I have some history here....    but I was not serious when I posted "don't drink and post"....

I'm not a drinker either.    But whenever I see a post that makes my eyes pop out :omg: and my jaw drop,  I'll use the drinking reference to make a point.    That the comment was so outrageous that I'm trying to give the poster the benefit of the doubt that if they were sober they'd never write what the did,  so they must be drunk....

If I offended,   I'm happy to apologize....   that was not my intent...

But look at your own post above....    you list the things that Luck has done that bother you.   I agree with some and disagree with others.    I don't see the need to debate any of them.    But I think you're mixing up what Luck does or hasn't done that bothers you with his ability to do what Reich wants.     You're not going to argue that Luck isn't athletic enough -- you know he is.      And you're not going to argue that Luck isn't brave, or daring or bold enough -- you know he is.     And you're not going to argue that Luck isn't smart enough --- you absolutely know he is.

So, I'm not sure why you think he can't run some RPO.   He's got all the skill in the world.    His tool chest is full.

I personally would chalk up Luck's lack of success with the Colts to the OC's we've had plus the lack of a supporting cast.    I submit we've yet to see the Best Andrew Luck.    I think he's capable of not just more,   but dramatically more.    I don't think we've had good OC's  (or the right OC's)  nor do I think we've had a good OL,  a good RB,  or a good defense.    I think Luck has forced most of his mistakes on the overwhelming sense that if he doesn't make a play,  the offense will stall out.

I'm not trying to take Luck off the hook here.    I'd like Luck to be a little less respectful.  Behind closed doors I'd like to know that he's telling the OC's he doesn't want to run this play and that play,  but would rather run plays that he's more comfortable with.   I'm not sure that's in his DNA.    Put another way,  I think we've all read that it was Nick Foles who called the inspired play down around the goal-line where the pass was thrown from the TE to him.

I don't see Luck doing that.    I don't see Luck complaining --- even privately --- about our offensive philosophy.    

I can't see him complaining that he's tired of getting beaten up from running 7-step drop plays for 6 flipping seasons!   That if anyone watched this past Super Bowl THAT'S how great offenses should look -- on both sides.    I'm just not sure that's in his DNA.     I think if he's ever going to reach his maximum,  he's got to do that.    He's got to wave off a crappy play call and audible into something else.     I'm sure he audibles,   but I suspect he doesn't do it enough,  or in the biggest moments.    I think his personality is to be the good soldier and just do what he's told.    I hope we learn he's doing less of that...

Just wanted to give you a different perspective..... 

Well, being that it’s purely hypothetical ....

Andrew Luck

for

Myles Garrett

Jabril Peppers

#1 ... 1st rnd

#4 ... 1st rnd

#33 ... 2nd rnd

#35 ... 2nd rnd

2019 Browns 1st rounder

2020 Browns 1st rounder

I think I’d pull the trigger on that.  Colts could get OG Nelson, RB Barkley, and either Chubb or a QB (maybe Baker Mayfield) in the first, and still get three premium 2nd round prospects too, to further bolster the OL & LB crew.

About 99.9999999% sure the Browns would NOT make this trade, though, but hey, it was hypothetical.  Don’t think anybody could be faulted for trading Luck for such a haul.  “It’s not about one player.  It’s about the TEAM.”

With the latest reports saying that now the issue is his bicep are any of you ready to just move on from Luck if we could still get a great trade value for him? For example, if the Browns or some other franchise fully believed he would come back to full strength, it just would require more time, could they offer up a very enticing deal for Luck?

I for one believe Reich and Ballard could build this roster, with the "it's not about 1 man" approach, to become a talented roster ala Philly if they got a trade done for Luck which netted them numerous high draft picks/players. 

28 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Andrew Luck

for

Myles Garrett

Jabril Peppers

#1 ... 1st rnd

#4 ... 1st rnd

#33 ... 2nd rnd

#35 ... 2nd rnd

2019 Browns 1st rounder

2020 Browns 1st rounder

I think I’d pull the trigger on that.  Colts could get OG Nelson, RB Barkley, and either Chubb or a QB (maybe Baker Mayfield) in the first, and still get three premium 2nd round prospects too, to further bolster the OL & LB crew.

About 99.9999999% sure the Browns would NOT make this trade, though, but hey, it was hypothetical.  Don’t think anybody could be faulted for trading Luck for such a haul.  “It’s not about one player.  It’s about the TEAM.”

Yeah you'd be stupid to pass on that deal. Getting a young stud pass rusher, a talented young SS to go along with Hooker, four #1 picks, and two high 2nds, would be insane to get for any player.

This team would instantly be one of the more talented young teams if Ballard drafted wisely with these picks at his disposal. The thought of getting Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb in the 1st round would be amazing!

Then with all those 2nd round picks you could get a talented QB to compete with Brissett. But whoever the QB would be, they would have a much easier time since Barkley would take a lot of pressure off him, as well as Nelson protecting him and opening lanes for Barkley. 

And talk about the pass rush with Garrett and Chubb together, with Sheard and Basham rotating in!

41 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Andrew Luck

for

Myles Garrett

Jabril Peppers

#1 ... 1st rnd

#4 ... 1st rnd

#33 ... 2nd rnd

#35 ... 2nd rnd

2019 Browns 1st rounder

2020 Browns 1st rounder

nobody is worth that much, it would be a no brainier.  i probably would have traded peyton for that too

get our next QB with the first pick, then barkely and chubb.   our dline and secondary would be set.  probably use those other picks on oline

I honestly don't know that I would trade Luck for anything less that that outrageous price that I threw out there, but yeah, at that outrageous price, I'd be willing to trade him.

To the earlier comments by somebody saying Luck's issue is now his bicep, I've not heard anything about this.  Last I heard, Luck is going through a throwing program that will take about three months and we will not know definitively is Luck is fully back until he makes it through the next three months.  That being said, I also haven't heard anything to lend support to the notion that he will not make it successfully through this three month throwing rehab.  Thus, I remain optimistic that Luck will win NFL Comeback Player of the Year for 2018.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:59 AM, crazycolt1 said:

That is not why I made the comment.

I think Dorsey as the GM will have the results to turn the Browns around. He set this draft up like a fined tuned guitar.

The only thing I question now is Hue Jackson. Talk about a head coach on the hot seat?  His is already smoking right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I beleive Dorsey just took over being GM for Browns in Dec. 2017....2 months or so Ago ?

So how did he set this upcoming Draft up like a finely tuned guitar in such a short time? I doubt he's had much dealings if any with other teams so far? 

Just wondering.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, Dustin said:

Absolutely no

Considering that I had a huge issue with another forum member that made a similar sarcastic stance on Luck, I'm not even gonna entertain this nonsense. Yeah, I know. I'm being a party pooper & it's just the off season right? 

I like Dustin. Not a reflection on him at all. I just hate this kind of s***. Makes me shake my head in disbelief that anybody wants to write yet another thread on dumping Luck even in jest. I'm not laughing. It's downplaying efforts to rehab & recover & it's wrong on so many levels. It just is. 

I haven't read 1 single reply in this thread & I have desire to either. 

I do feel bad for the previous forum member I slammed over this. When I get mad, my wrath can be harsher & more intense than it should be. Sorry. 

I know. I'm sure some patrons don't care for everything I post either. I accept that. A fair point.