More for Frank Gore?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Back with Indy or no?

• Aw yeah!
    • Hell no!
    • Who cares
    • He will lead the Patriots to a Superbowl title next season

55 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

I say it's up to Frank. Colts should offer him a reasonable contract given his age. But if he would rather go elsewhere, then best wishes

It's not up to Frank.  It's up to Reich and Ballard if they think bringing him back is the right move.  My guess is that we've seen the last of him as Colt, and probably rightly so.

In 2017, Gore rushed 261 times for 961 yards (3.7 yards per average) with 3 TDs and 1 receiving TD.

image.png.16859cce3e5dada4d49e9418925c3ddd.png

In 2017, Mack rushed 93 times for 358 yards (3.8 yards per average) with 3 TDs and 1 receiving TD.

image.png.1d15a6a8ddd3e71c357a46afdf58eb7d.png

It's time we move on and give other running backs the bulk of the carries. It's better for the team.

Hindsight being what it is, I wish he'd chosen to sign with Philly instead of Indy back in '15 (?).  He could be retiring on top, a Superbowl winner with nothing left to prove.  I loved having Gore here, but I think he should go to a contender if he has the option.

6 hours ago, Flash7 said:

In 2017, Gore rushed 261 times for 961 yards (3.7 yards per average) with 3 TDs and 1 receiving TD.

image.png.16859cce3e5dada4d49e9418925c3ddd.png

In 2017, Mack rushed 93 times for 358 yards (3.8 yards per average) with 3 TDs and 1 receiving TD.

image.png.1d15a6a8ddd3e71c357a46afdf58eb7d.png

It's time we move on and give other running backs the bulk of the carries. It's better for the team.

The problem with this view is that it is simplistic and ignores how a game is played.  Teams don't win or lose based on comparing year end YPC stats... .  For as much as everyone complains about Gore's lack of homerun ability, he at least was leaving the offense in planned outcomes.  First down runs often went for 3.5-4 yards, leaving 2nd and 6-6.5, which is what the offense wants.  They can then run or pass on 2nd down, and the defense cannot key on either.T  ake out the 49ers game and Mack had a poor season, rushing only 3.17 ypc. He had some big runs, but more often than not, Mack  left the offense in 2nd and 10+, which automatically puts the offensive in a hole because 2nd down has to be a pass, and allows the defense to focus on pass rush.  It throws the entire offense off.   For a OC, having a  RB who consistently puts the offense in a position the play is supposed to create is important for the passing offense. In this sense, Gore getting half a yard less per carry than the top backs is not that important,...it's more important that he's getting positive yardage.  Mack has to be a more consistent runner in gaining yards to be an every down back...and that's in addition to pass blocking issues, durability, power running, etc.  He needs to get 3-4 yards consistently, and throw in the occasional big play when the defense breaks down.

35 minutes ago, A8bil said:

The problem with this view is that it is simplistic and ignores how a game is played.  Teams don't win or lose based on comparing year end YPC stats... .  For as much as everyone complains about Gore's lack of homerun ability, he at least was leaving the offense in planned outcomes.  First down runs often went for 3.5-4 yards, leaving 2nd and 6-6.5, which is what the offense wants.  They can then run or pass on 2nd down, and the defense cannot key on either.T  ake out the 49ers game and Mack had a poor season, rushing only 3.17 ypc. He had some big runs, but more often than not, Mack  left the offense in 2nd and 10+, which automatically puts the offensive in a hole because 2nd down has to be a pass, and allows the defense to focus on pass rush.  It throws the entire offense off.   For a OC, having a  RB who consistently puts the offense in a position the play is supposed to create is important for the passing offense. In this sense, Gore getting half a yard less per carry than the top backs is not that important,...it's more important that he's getting positive yardage.  Mack has to be a more consistent runner in gaining yards to be an every down back...and that's in addition to pass blocking issues, durability, power running, etc.  He needs to get 3-4 yards consistently, and throw in the occasional big play when the defense breaks down.

Hey, A8bil, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll reply back hopefully without coming back as argumentative, especially since I agree with almost everything you wrote.

1. The approach was intended to be simplistic. I could write in detail the pros and cons of having Gore back next year, or not, but no one would take the time to read it. Instead, I provided succinct details (stats). Statistics would indicate that if Mack had enough carries (sample size) to indicate that his 3.8 YPC was better than Gore's. In other words, the excuse of not having enough sample size could not be used in this case. Essentially, if given the same amount of carries as Gore, Mack would've outperformed him, in theory. Of course, we have yet to see if Mack can handle the work load and the physical rigors to keep playing without injury, as Gore had done.

2. "Teams don't win or lose based on comparing year end YPC stats" - Not sure what you mean hear, but they absolutely consider statistics, including all that was provided in their decisions. Of course, teams have access to far more data and statistics than we do.

3. In essence, you are saying that Gore is the more consistent back, which I agree with. He consistently gains positive yards and hardly ever gets tackled in the backfield. This puts the offense in good position. 

4. "Take out the 49ers game and Mack had a poor season, rushing only 3.17 ypc." The thing is that you can't take out the 49ers game. Mack's style of running is a bit of a boom or bust. If you take out the boom, then of course you'll be left with the bust. Barry Sanders was a "Boom or Bust" style of runner. He holds the record for the most negative yards in league history (336 carries for -952 yards), and he also is among the leaders for most rushing yards. I'm simply saying that Mack can make up for the loss of -2 yards with a positive run and still have a better YPC than Gore did.

5. "Mack has to be a more consistent runner in gaining yards to be an every down back...and that's in addition to pass blocking issues, durability, power running, etc.  He needs to get 3-4 yards consistently, and throw in the occasional big play when the defense breaks down." I agree with you that he needs to be more consistent and the he needs to work on his pass blocking. His pass catching and ability after the catch is superior to Gores. Also, I don't think Mack needs to be a 'power runner." He would be misused if that was what he was called upon to do. Design the offense to his strengths instead of asking him to play within a confined role.

6. Lastly, I never really advocated for Mack to be the heir to Gore. In fact, I stated "It's time we move on and give other running backs the bulk of the carries. It's better for the team." Of course, with the comparison of Mack and Gore, it would seem that I was advocating for Mack to be the lead back, but I actually was just using Mack's and Gore's stats as a point of comparison that Gore was not playing at a high level last year. 

15 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Hey, A8bil, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll reply back hopefully without coming back as argumentative, especially since I agree with almost everything you wrote....

Good post...agreed, Mack is a boom or bust type player.   I guess I'm just not a big fan of those types of players.  They're fun for fantasy stats, but my sense is that they are rarely part of a winning formula.  BTW, I think Mack can be a power runner in the same way Gore has been.  Gore didn't move piles, he found holes and creases in them and got yardage where it was available.  Sure, he ran over his share of DBs and a few LBs, but it was his dedication to finding yardage within the play called that made him so consistent and good throughout his career. I think Mack or whoever replaces Gore can do that.  I think it is a mindset more than anything.